How do I reinstate?

[Is...]

Well,

I'm about done with this "stuff." I repeat, I thought this forum was not anti doctor or anti benzo. I think the "rules" actually state that.

Am I wrong or what?

If I'm not, and I don't think i am, then I personally do think it is showing disrespect to another member to disinvite from this forum when they are doing nothing to warrant that.

If there was ever a reason for a moderator to step in and kindly remind others of that, this is it IMO.

Intend

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [Gu...]

• [Bi...]

• [Is...]

For kicks, I lurk around on Ford Motors forums, and make lots of posts about how much better Chevy trucks are than Ford.

:laugh:  Your so bad spengler  :laugh:

I really don't want to drag this out so I will cut to the chase...

Are you referring to me, Benzy? I just want to be clear on this.

Thank you.

Xana

PS You have been here for 2 months and 12 days. Do you really think you know the complexities of anyone's story of withdrawal here yet? You seem very sure about how wise and intuitive you are with little to back it up.

Im just putting in my 2 cents worth on the current topic, from what Ive seen on here so far...

ps, you dont know how long Ive been here, and yes, Im pretty definite in my wisedom and intuition, and Ive got a lot to back it up with, thanks.

Google Scholar on benzodiazepine and cognition: http://scholar.google.com.au/scholar?hl=en&q=benzodiazepine+cognition&btnG=&as_sdt=1%2C5&as_sdtp=

hmmm interesting. oh and really very conclusive.

I have chatted to a neurologist lately and yea it is kinda a fact that benzodiazepine effects cognition.

Now, having said that, there may be other pay-offs that make it worth it: like for instance a reduction in anxiety which as you rightly point out would also adversely affect cognition. Or maybe you rate being free from anxiety higher then having perfect cognition. All of these conclusions would be reasonable to make and if you come to them then I have no issue with you choosing to stay on benzodiazepines.

But yea.. umm.. it adversely affects cognition

IslandGirl: How are you going? Hope you're well or at least improving xxx

For kicks, I lurk around on Ford Motors forums, and make lots of posts about how much better Chevy trucks are than Ford.

:laugh:  Your so bad spengler  :laugh:

Agreed!  :laugh:

I'm almost off the poison, folks.  I promise to come back and post how great I'm feeling as much as possible!  Yes, it's been tough.  And it may take some months more.  But true healing only occurs when you are off.  Believe in yourself!

:smitten:

Intend, with all due respect, debating the issue is not being anti-doctor/anti-benzo, in the way you are suggesting..

I dont think anyone has uninvited anyone to the site...wondering why people are here if they aren't planning to get off benzos isn't uninviting them...

I dont see a need for a moderator, although I can see the fuel for the fire thats coming, cause most cant debate without taking it personal..

we cant get defensive just because others dont share our opinions, or accept them..

I'm actually wanting off these drugs so I'm not in favor of them by any means. But I see your studies from google scholar are old: 2005, 2004, 1988, 2002, 1993, 2002, 1992, 2004, 1999, 1998.

And that was the first page. And from what I read, it is once again a risk and a potential.

For some reason, there hasnt been any large, randomized, double blind clinical study that anyone can refer to that's more current than almost 10 years old.

So I can only conclude that once again it is that cost benefit ratio that must be considered by anyone who decides to use these. And that means the cost of using them such as cognitive deficits should be outweighed by the benefit of using them such as anxiety control or for some depression control.

And once again, I emphasize that these studies do not say that everyone who uses a benzo will experience cognitive deficits; they say it is a possibility, a risk, a potential. That is not the same thing as saying that everyone who uses a benzo will experience cognitive deficits at all.

Intend

This isn't directed at any member in particular but is more of a general statement:

The BB team feels confident that each and every member of this forum can decide for themselves if they belong here or not. We've had members who have registered who are trying to get off alcohol, for instance...with no benzo usage. We don't turn them away. We approve them and let them see for themselves if this forum is for them or not. Usually they realize it isn't and don't return. I expect this would be true for a member who has decided not to taper. Clearly if they are still here they have found some value with the forum and are welcome to stay and support other member or gain a better understanding of their own path...etc.

so I wonder, when new members come here, unsure of what they're options are, and they see members that aren't tapering, aren't planning on tapering, and suggest that they and others need to stay on benzos, will this be enough to influence them, in their compromised cognitive deficit state, to continue using, and just leave...... "oh, theres some normal people on there like me that are continuing to take benzos, so will I"......

Come on Benzy. Just how many people are we talking about? Who are all these people "that aren't tapering, aren't planning on tapering, and suggest that they and others need to stay on benzos"? If someone is going to be so influenced by just a couple of people (if that), then they didn't have that much of a resolve to get off benzos in the first place.

This is getting ridiculous.  Can we please return to giving a bit of support to Island Girl, instead of trying to score points off each other? Each person gets to make their own decisions about whether they do or don't want to taper, and as far as I'm aware there is no rule on BB that says those who aren't or don't want to taper can't be a member.

Also, no one needs to justify why they are here or what plans they have for tapering.

so I wonder, when new members come here, unsure of what they're options are, and they see members that aren't tapering, aren't planning on tapering, and suggest that they and others need to stay on benzos, will this be enough to influence them, in their compromised cognitive deficit state, to continue using, and just leave...... "oh, theres some normal people on there like me that are continuing to take benzos, so will I"......

Come on Benzy. Just how many people are we talking about? Who are all these people "that aren't tapering, aren't planning on tapering, and suggest that they and others need to stay on benzos"? If someone is going to be so influenced by just a couple of people (if that), then they didn't have that much of a resolve to get off benzos in the first place.

This is getting ridiculous.  Can we please return to giving a bit of support to Island Girl, instead of trying to score points off each other? Each person gets to make their own decisions about whether they do or don't want to taper, and as far as I'm aware there is no rule on BB that says those who aren't or don't want to taper can't be a member.

Also, no one needs to justify why they are here or what plans they have for tapering.

its not real fair to give your opinion and then suggest we dont...

My favorite post of this evening, one more time:

::)

No Seasonal Affective Disorder here! I drive a Toyota, the best-made and most reliable car on Planet Earth, and the weather here is sublime for cruisin' in the Corolla...

Seems like the thread has really veered off topic along with multiple attempts to be amusing.

I'm glad Island girl got such good advice from Allen in the beginning.

Actually, Island girl, I  wouldn't be able to tell you how to reinstate, but he did, and I learned something by that.

I hope you can make a good decision for yourself with that info, and the opinions of others addressing your question.

Intend

This is getting ridiculous.  Can we please return to giving a bit of support to Island Girl, instead of trying to score points off each other?

'Reinstate' is always a hot topic.  It fires up emotions and our passion to help.

Talking about help what happened to poor island_girl, did we run her off her own thread?

Lets get back to the original topic of this thread.  The OP was asking for suggestions about reinstatement to stabilize and subsequently initiate a slow taper.

Lets keep the replies related to this topic. If you want to discuss any other issues related to the long terms effects of benzo use, please start a new thread on the Chewing the Fat board.

Thank you,

pianogirl

Island Girl,

I hope you are doing ok.  You will make the right decision. One day at a time honey, sometimes it's minute by minute...

Benzy,

This is the crap people want to read.  The fights and heated debates always get the most press.  It's kind of fun if you let it go. 

But I do agree with you.... I think it's bad advice to promote reinstatement and possible lifetime usage.  If you look at those who are unable to withdraw, for whatever reason, you will see many do not have a signature.  I think that says a lot.  But we are all suffering here.  Benzy,  we are the "lucky" ones.  We have the determination to get off the poison and are completely confident we will fully recover.  Within the next year while we make great gains in healing, we can come back and tout our success. 

I am learning you can't save everyone.  Let people choose their own path; it may be what they need to survive...

:smitten:

Hi all,

Thanks so much for caring. I took a valium today otherwise it was kill myself or go to physc ward. I just cant do it. I appreciate all the input and love. I cant handel all the shaking, no calm and no rest. I never sleep or rest, just walk until my legs give out then I crawl.  Dr said klonopin or xanax and I think valium.  I know it is 50-50.  It is my only chance. My vision is poor and hearing is bad coupled with sever depresion and extreme pain makes distracting myself impossible. I am in a living hell. Guess that is what 18 years a ct and bad detox will do to you. This is my last chance or it is the physc ward.  I tried, i was off all meds for 4 months before i broke, i tried alternative meds no luck, i tried accupunctur, breathing, you name it and i keep getting worse.  Wish me luck....I have run out of options

Thanks all for the love and support, I will not forget you.  Love IslandGirl  :smitten: :smitten: