Benzo Lies That Have Been Busted

[Ri...]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The most powerful benzo lie on my journey... has been... that the damage and weakness the benzos have done to me... have made me worthless to God and unable to love God or others or have a successful relationship with God... and successful relationships with others.  In spite of listening to these lies on a daily basis for the past 12 years... and counting... I've still experienced more love to and from God and others than the previous 40 years before this journey started...

Kindly,

j

Hey guys, this post is really good,

Can anyone bust my current benzo brain questions:

Will I be able to work full time again?

Will I be able to handle stress again?

Will I be able to be round my family and friends and large crowds again?

Will I be able to travel and do exciting things again such as scuba diving?

Will I be able to ride on our boat again?

As I sit in my bed AGAIN..... I daydream of all these things and then I end up crying because Im so scared ........... I am hopeful though and I do believe my body can and will do this!!

I want to know this too . Other day I commented on success story of a protracted buddy who is now working in covid ward and handling all that stress with ease. I hope I will get to that level one day

Hey guys, this post is really good,

Can anyone bust my current benzo brain questions:

Will I be able to work full time again?

Will I be able to handle stress again?

Will I be able to be round my family and friends and large crowds again?

Will I be able to travel and do exciting things again such as scuba diving?

Will I be able to ride on our boat again?

As I sit in my bed AGAIN..... I daydream of all these things and then I end up crying because Im so scared ........... I am hopeful though and I do believe my body can and will do this!!

I want to know this too . Other day I commented on success story of a protracted buddy who is now working in covid ward and handling all that stress with ease. I hope I will get to that level one day

Wow.  That’s an amazing success story.

• 1 month later...
River - this an excellent list and I see so much of it here - and I see myself falling into similar traps as well.  Thanks so much for reminding of these speed bumps that are unnecessary to heap on oneself as well as the reality of what’s happening.  Thank you again.

• 2 weeks later...

Lie: I’m never going to be able to ride in a car again.

Me: Oh yes I will very very soon! Watch me! But nice try with that lie! I’ll be proving it wrong real soon.

OMG how true of a post. Thank you for it it is exactly how i feel most of the time. It just makes you feel like a failure in life like you deserve to feel like this because you let yourself get to this point. I was prescribed it but should have researched it better.

• 2 weeks later...

One that i have been feeling for a few months now :

You are alone, nobody cares.. your hub doesn't love you anymore the way you are now.. he will leave you..

Glad for this topic so thanks ! So low in counting, the emotional stuff is playing very hard tricks on me. It gives me hope that this won't last forever.

Hugs x

• 1 month later...

No one has as many symptoms as I do.

I had a horrible time getting off AD and reinstated back low dose so I won’t heal.

Why do symptoms show up 8 months later

No one is suffering like I am

This is permanent because I’m getting worse

Benzo Lies

I was talking with a friend about the lies that benzos tell us and thought it would be a good idea to start a thread on the topic.

Here are some benzo lies that I previously posted on my blog and thought it would be good to start this thread off with.

Please add some of the lies that you used to believe and now know to be untrue.

This will be very valuable for those who are still under the spell of the lies that benzos tell us. My experience is that our thinking is fundamentally altered by benzo action during tolerance withdrawal and during tapering, and that we are not actually thinking – we are at the effect of chemical storms in our brains. And we think that these are our thoughts. And worse yet, we BELIEVE these thoughts. But what we are experiencing is chemical and electrical processes that occur during the body’s attempt to adjust these chemicals and processes on the fly.

Now that I am feeling better, it’s easy to see some of the lies the benzos tell us. They are plain to see in hindsight. But for those of you who are having troubles with taper symptoms, or pre or post-taper symptoms, I wanted to help you to see  some of the lies that the benzos have told me, and may be telling you too.  Hopefully, you will be able to use this to understand more about your experience and maybe you could use this post as a template for reality.

Benzo Lie # 1. There is no hope.  This one is nasty. Do not believe this lie. It can take you down fast. It is not true, even though it feels very true. For me, this hopelessness was a result of benzo created chemical imbalances coloring my thinking into a perceived end of time. I could not imagine time extending for more than 3 months into the future. There was no way I could think of any possible outcome at all – not even a negative one, and all of my imagined outcomes of less than 3 months were negative. If you cannot imagine a positive future for yourself, know you are under the trance of lie # 1.

Benzo Lie # 2. My Life is ruined.  Do not believe this lie. You are in a temporary state of withdrawal. It is an awful state, but it is temporary and you will move out of it and have a life that you can mold into what you had before or one that is better than before. When you can think clearly, you are able to fashion a life that is better than what happened to you when you were tranquilized and your life fell apart as a result of being drugged. When you are out of withdrawals and free from the effects of their symptoms, you will be in a better position to solve problems instead of having them take you down.

Benzo Lie # 3. These benzo effects will last forever.  I see this lie as being conditional.  The lie part is that if you are making decisions that will move yourself toward health and away from benzos, it will not last forever. There WILL be an end to the benzo-related troubles. As you get further away from benzos and their effects, the less the benzos will act on you.  If you make benzo related decisions that move yourself away from natural health and into benzo use, you may end up in a never ending loop of having side effects being confused as diseases, and having benzo symptoms being medicated with more benzos, and in turn, more and more drug and symptom interactions and more and more suffering.

Benzo Lie # 4. I will never be happy again  This lie broke my heart. I let this lie rob me of my dreams. I am living proof that you can totally believe this lie and live to prove it wrong. I never thought I could ever be happy ever again. I’m not only happy now, but happier than I was before I started on benzos. I feel like I have just vanquished a dragon, and there is a great deal of satisfaction in that. Now, I am happy. I am happy just because I exist and because life is available to me. There is such joy in coming back from the edge and being able to function again.

I felt like there was no way happiness could ever be attained by someone who is going through all of this suffering and torture and ineptitude, and now I’m happy.  I am the guy that was scared to death of my cat for 2 years. I was freaked out because the gardener was going to come on Wednesday and scare me with the noise of his equipment and today it’s Monday and I’m worried about it already. I couldn't drive for over a year. . . and on and on.

If you are feeling that your happiness is behind you, do not despair. You cannot absolutely know that your best days are behind you. The effects of benzo action will make you believe you cannot be happy. It is not true. After your body begins making the feel good chemicals and you are out of wd, your life can get wonderful again.

These are just a few of the benzo lies that have I have busted for myself. And there are many, many more.

Try this on - If it makes you sad, it's probably a benzo lie.

You CAN be happy again. It will feel great, and you’ll love it more than ever.  :thumbsup:

Please post the benzo lies that you have busted so others can learn from your experience.

River  :smitten:

This post just may have saved my life. Thank you for writing it.

• 1 month later...

Anyone have busted Benzo lie about muscle stiffness yet??

I wish you the best regarding the gabapentin recovery.  I'm going to taper that after I get off xanax.  Tried coming gabapentin before and it was horrible.  They finally made it a controlled substance in some states.  That med has been widely overprescribed, just like benzos, and the drug companies are getting away with it.  They use gabapentin for all kinds of off-label use.  When I tried to come down off 1600mg a year ago, I had the worst insomnia I've ever had,  it was insomnia  unlike any other I've had in the past from tapering meds.  My heart and insides would be racing and there were several days in a row with zero % sleep.  My mood was terrible with irritation, anxiety and nervousness, compulsive thoughts, etc.  Similar to benzos, but I think a little worse!  So glad you mentioned your recovering from it. Very few realize how damaging that drug is.  Hang in there brother, I'm rooting for you.

• 4 weeks later...

what does "bump" mean?

Whenever a member posts to a thread, the thread is moved to the top of whatever board it is on.  Members “bump” threads to call attention to them.

• 3 months later...

hi RiverWolf,

thanks good post. another benzo lie i have found is:

you look in the mirror and see an old face, ugly and like 100 years old.

when i have a window, i look attractive again , so i checked out this benzo-game

couple of months ago.

great you are feeling good again

claudia :thumbsup:

So true, Claudia. And you start to feel sorry for yourself and compare the actual version to your previous versions.

Light and Love! :smitten:

what does "bump" mean?

Bring Up My Post

People originally used it to bring a post back to the top if they hadn't received any replies.

• 4 weeks later...

Josef,

Your post:

The most powerful benzo lie on my journey... has been... that the damage and weakness the benzos have done to me... have made me worthless to God and unable to love God or others or have a successful relationship with God... and successful relationships with others.  In spite of listening to these lies on a daily basis for the past 12 years... and counting... I've still experienced more love to and from God and others than the previous 40 years before this journey started...

I can fully relate to this especially since my OCD feeds on this thought process - strengthened by benzo WD.  At times I feel that my salvation is in jeopardy.  Even reading from the Bible provides ammo for my OCD from my Xanax WD.  I READ THE BOOK “Brain-Lock” and it has really helped me to handle both the benzo and OCD lies.  God loves me for who I am.  I believe Jesus is my salvation and confess my sins when I commit them; therefore, no condemnation will be brought before me.  God is just and I have been truly blessed that without him always by my side I would fail.

Josef,

Your post:

I can fully relate to this especially since my OCD feeds on this thought process - strengthened by benzo WD.  At times I feel that my salvation is in jeopardy.  Even reading from the Bible provides ammo for my OCD from my Xanax WD.  I READ THE BOOK “Brain-Lock” and it has really helped me to handle both the benzo and OCD lies.  God loves me for who I am.  I believe Jesus is my salvation and confess my sins when I commit them; therefore, no condemnation will be brought before me.  God is just and I have been truly blessed that without him always by my side I would fail.

:hug::highfive:

Josef,

Your post:

That is definitely a benzo lie feeling that your salvation is at jeopardy and that God doesn't love you or that you don't love God.

I am glad that you are holding fast to the truth that God loves you and that you love Him. Let us put on the armor of God... the helmet of hope which is to protect our thoughts. Keeping a positive attitude and always walking in the Word.

I will keep you in my prayers.