Tart Cherries

[Di...]

Hi Guys,

I tried both melatonin and tart cherry concentrate.

With Melatonin it only works for me if I take 1mg only and about 3 hours before bed - and even then it only works sporadically.  If I do take it, it is on a rotating basis, a couple of nights and then off to something else and then back after a while.  My issue is that nothing seems to work consistently, and I usually rotate my sleep aids.  Currently my nightly cocktail is two seriphos at 7pm, 1tsp magnesium citrate powder, 2 lactium, 3 calms forte at bed time.  Then when I wake in a few hours which I always do - one more Seriphos, 2 more lactium and two more calms forte.  I swear the last two nights I actually fell back to sleep for a little while after taking the middle of the night re-loads.  Hope this lasts.

DP regarding the tart cherry concentrate (since this is the subject of the post!) I used it every night for two strait weeks following the directions and dissolving two tbsp into 8oz of water before bed.  It did nothing for me but did not cause any problems either.

Yeah, I've pretty much given up on melatonin of any kind because it seems that just isn't my problem. My problem seems to be more cortisol related, so I find Seriphos works a lot better (see my above post to Chinook).

Hi Diaz Pam,

Could I make tart cherry juice myself using a blender, or would I have to buy the pre-made stuff? What are tart cherries anyway, just sour cherries?

I read that a tiny dab of pure jasmine oil on the wrists at bedtime is said to aid sleep, apparently it enhances the production of GABA.

I've been hit with a big wave of insomnia and am willing to try most anything non-med.

Hope you're doing well. :hug:

Chinook

Hi Chinook - sorry to hear about the insomnia. It royally sucks doesn't it.

When I bought the bottled fruit they were called "sour cherries". I'm only assuming they are same thing. When I bought the concentrate it was actually called "Tart Cherry" concentrate. I guess you could make your own, but you would need a lot of cherries because you would just be making a juice, as opposed to a concentrate which you would use a lot less of.

Mind you, I don't bother using the cherries at all now. The bottled cherries did taste very nice, but I didn't really find that it helped that much, and the concentrate was really expensive, so that experiment was short lived..lol...

I've actually had a lot more success with "Seriphos" lately. You can read more about it on the Vit C thread - go the last few pages where I think we start discussing it more. It works more for cortisol regulation, so of course if that's not the problem it may not be that helpful. http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=84996.0

Thanks Diaz Pam. Cherry season is come and gone here so I'd probably have to get the concentrate.

Will look into seriphos too because I may have some cortisol regulation problems. I know I need to touch base with my friend Polenta and do a slow caffeine taper as I've been drinking way too much of it.

By the way, now I have this song stuck in my head so thanks for that! LOL. Wow what a blast from the past.

Chinook :hug:

Deborah, if you look at the link to the video I posted, almonds and raspberries are even higher with melatonin. Gojo berries are the highest.

Thank you clawspeak, that's very interesting, I must try to incorporate those in my diet.

Debbie

She's still touring. In fact she's going to be in Australia in the next few months I think. She seems to pop back here every year or so. She was living in the UK at one stage, but I'm not sure if she still does.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried the dried tart cherries and find that they sometimes do help. They are my last, omg its 1 am and I cant sleep thing to try.

I've always found a cup of hot good hot chocolate will usually make me drift off even if it has the stimulants they say it does.

Its a big cup of sleepy time with a small handful of dried tart cherries, if that doesn't put me down then  I try the hot chocolate, organic coca powder, organic coca butter, hemp or almond milk and agave with a little stevea to sweeten some tart cherries jam and another small handfull of tart cherries. Ive always gotten to sleep after starting this a few months back. 2am-7am is better than no sleep at all when the insomnia is really bad after a cut.

Now if I can just get my ears to stop ringing.

I'm sorry bendownsolong. Insomnia sure does suck. It's just after 1pm in the afternoon here, so I'm not stressing about sleeping just now, but I probably will be in about 8 hours. So think of me later this morning (your time) ..lol...

• 3 months later...
Did try tart cherries in the beginning of my taper, very sedating made me very sleepy don't know if it was the interaction with the valium while i was tapering or what but i did sleep well.

Posted this reply twice about tart cherries, they do help with sleep, only they are so tasty you can actually eat to many & get over sedated the next day.