Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Lyrics stuck in head? Anybody

[mc...]

[3b...]

redevan,

Thank you so much for posting this list! Truly  great information. I read through several of them and once again feel reassured. When this stuff started for me I was amidst a horrible cold turkey off benzos and ADs. And I healed from that but continued to hear weird music in my head. This stuff comes and goes. Right this minute, I do not hear it. But I know I will again. Its like it has become a habit and I do have OCD tendencies!

Thanks again.

east

Yes. Redevan Thanks for the links. This is fascinating. I watched/listened to a TedX talk about a particular type of visual hallucination that happens to people who either recently became blind, and/or that happens to the elderly. I might go down a rabbit hole and find that.  Fascinating.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [pr...]

• [ea...]

• [Ca...]

• [mc...]

It's very interesting, isn't it? I don't know how I'm going to break this to my family, but from everything I've just read about this, I'm probably a 61-year-old woman who's going deaf. That should get their attention.  ;D

[3b...]

It's very interesting, isn't it? I don't know how I'm going to break this to my family, but from everything I've just read about this, I'm probably a 61-year-old woman who's going deaf. That should get their attention.  ;D

LOL

"I used to hear singing coming from the heating/air conditioning vent in my bedroom, every night. It was a choir of some sort. I could never make out the words, but it was clearly human voices singing. I wouldn't call that an hallucination, because it was caused by an actual sound".

I just wrote the same thing in another thread. I also hear this, it's so weird!

[3b...]

"I used to hear singing coming from the heating/air conditioning vent in my bedroom, every night. It was a choir of some sort. I could never make out the words, but it was clearly human voices singing. I wouldn't call that an hallucination, because it was caused by an actual sound".

I just wrote the same thing in another thread. I also hear this, it's so weird!

A friend of mine in GA c/t off Xanax and heard this from air conditioner vents too. Hmmm.

The brain is fascinating and quite complicated. We still don't know everything about it. I read several books written by a neurologist. Oliver Sacks is his name. He describes many of his patients Most had strokes or a brain injury of some sort. He writes with humor and wisdom. "The Man Who Mistook His Hat for His Wife" is one book. Quite to read and very interesting. Check him out, all of you who are interested in this complicated subject.

I was only a week oout adter going CT off klonapin and Ambien and 2 ADs. I was hallucinating with every one of my five senses. I saw things, heard things, smelled things, touched things, tasted things...that I knew just were not real. My favorite hallucination is my seeing a nurse hiding behind my table fan. She look very real and spoke to me. I knew (LOL!) sher was put there to watcb over me and to perhaps call in the "men with white coats' to come drag me back to ther psych hospital! You have to laugh about this stuff. Letting it get you down will not fix it, but being able to laugh about it later is priceless.

Everyone has weird withdrawal stories. Few people get off easy. Everyone thinks they are the worst case ever known. That is just a normal way of thinking when getting off benzos. We all think we wont heal. WQe ll think that we are somehow different, worse. Well, in the end this just isnt true. EWveryone does heal. But it wil;l be at thwir specil rate and time. There is something SO terrifying about benzo withdrawal. If we had been warneds about this, and this was common knowledge, maybe it would have been better. But that did not happen.

When it comes to benzos, we are all babes in the woods. Styruggling to find the way out of this horrible maze. All it truly tkes is time, but we humans have come to think that everything has to go quickly. With benzo WD, this just isn't true.

[3b...]

The brain is fascinating and quite complicated. We still don't know everything about it. I read several books written by a neurologist. Oliver Sacks is his name. He describes many of his patients Most had strokes or a brain injury of some sort. He writes with humor and wisdom. "The Man Who Mistook His Hat for His Wife" is one book. Quite to read and very interesting. Check him out, all of you who are interested in this complicated subject.

I was only a week oout adter going CT off klonapin and Ambien and 2 ADs. I was hallucinating with every one of my five senses. I saw things, heard things, smelled things, touched things, tasted things...that I knew just were not real. My favorite hallucination is my seeing a nurse hiding behind my table fan. She look very real and spoke to me. I knew (LOL!) sher was put there to watcb over me and to perhaps call in the "men with white coats' to come drag me back to ther psych hospital! You have to laugh about this stuff. Letting it get you down will not fix it, but being able to laugh about it later is priceless.

Everyone has weird withdrawal stories. Few people get off easy. Everyone thinks they are the worst case ever known. That is just a normal way of thinking when getting off benzos. We all think we wont heal. WQe ll think that we are somehow different, worse. Well, in the end this just isnt true. EWveryone does heal. But it wil;l be at thwir specil rate and time. There is something SO terrifying about benzo withdrawal. If we had been warneds about this, and this was common knowledge, maybe it would have been better. But that did not happen.

When it comes to benzos, we are all babes in the woods. Styruggling to find the way out of this horrible maze. All it truly tkes is time, but we humans have come to think that everything has to go quickly. With benzo WD, this just isn't true.

We are babes in the woods. This experience is completely unlike any IMO. There is nothing in the past to hook onto and to say, oh this is like that...no. It's similar to some things, but 100% new in more ways. IF that made any sense.

Nothing prepared me for what I went through either. It came as an enormous shock. As an RN I thought I knew it all. NOT!!! LOL! I have learned so much going through this. Made me a much better nurse, especially a psych nurse.

Honestly, I thought that getting off benzos and ADs would be like maybe having the flu for a week or two. I did know seizures were possible  but that is all I knew. Oh holy Mother, what a shock I was in for! Benzo wd can be the absolute worst thing you can go through. Nothing prepared me for  the horror of a cold turkey WD. I figured hallucinations were possible, just like it is with alcohol WD. But the enormous array of weird, unpleasant symptoms came as an enormous surprise.

If one can get through BWD, you will be a much stronger person. It is SO worth the struggle. I am no longer the same person. Something fundamentally changed in me. It is a profound change and one I am grateful for. Getting off psych drugs was the healthiest and best thing I ever did...no matter how awful it was.

east

[3b...]

Nothing prepared me for what I went through either. It came as an enormous shock. As an RN I thought I knew it all. NOT!!! LOL! I have learned so much going through this. Made me a much better nurse, especially a psych nurse.

Honestly, I thought that getting off benzos and ADs would be like maybe having the flu for a week or two. I did know seizures were possible  but that is all I knew. Oh holy Mother, what a shock I was in for! Benzo wd can be the absolute worst thing you can go through. Nothing prepared me for  the horror of a cold turkey WD. I figured hallucinations were possible, just like it is with alcohol WD. But the enormous array of weird, unpleasant symptoms came as an enormous surprise.

If one can get through BWD, you will be a much stronger person. It is SO worth the struggle. I am no longer the same person. Something fundamentally changed in me. It is a profound change and one I am grateful for. Getting off psych drugs was the healthiest and best thing I ever did...no matter how awful it was.

east

Annie, I’m not done tapering nor have I been psychotic or hallucinated, but I was so disconnected, depressed and out of it with DP DR and sometimes I would think “it cannot be far from this to being gone...psychotic.” Sounds seemed warped and exaggerated. But this past year alone makes me feel like a different person inside. This is without a doubt the hardest thing I’ve ever done.

Yes. The hardest and worst thing you ever did. I agree. Was for me. I look back now and cannot believe I went through what I know I did. It STILL is beyond words for me to explain. How can you describe multitudes of weird and insane symptoms all of them going at the same time??? Almost impossible to do.

Emotional symptoms; physical symptoms; mental symptoms. All going on at the same time. How the heck does one describe that? I sure couldn't.

The relief I felt once I felt healed was incredibly immense.

Hearing that weird tune in my head lasted a very long time. Even now, almost 7 years later, I hear it sometimes. It has changed its tune many times. I do wonder if it has become some sort of OCD habit....? Could be, I don't know. It no longer scares me. It is just a part of me now that comes and goes as it wants to. I know I am not insane. I function quite well in most settings. My basic personality has not changed. I am still a person who was hurt as a child and did not get over it enough. Well, I have a lot of company in that department!

We all just have to keep on going no matter what life throws at us. Benzo WD will test you, for sure. But it also might turn out to be the best thing you ever did. Was for me.

east

[3b...]

Odd. Today my looping tune came back for a while. It doesn't seem to be related to stress. It just comes and goes now, and baffles the heck out of me. Its an inoccuous tune that doesn't mean a darn thing. I don't actually "hear" it like you would hear a stereo. It is all inside my head. This is truly weird stuff. Reading Oliver Sacks books about weird neuro stuff was very reassuring to me when this stuff started up. He was a gifted neurologist who also saw the humor in neuro problems. "The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat" was one of his books. Easy to read and truly interesting.

east

Annie, I googled what I’d seen about hallucinations in older people/blind and it’s Oliver Sacks. Brilliant! https://youtu.be/SgOTaXhbqPQ 

I came across this last summer while watching TedX Talks.

I've come to see my song loops as "friends"

When I'm entering or exiting a wave they appear.

So they help me at the two plus years benzo free stage to manage my waves.

Song loops are always followedby the same symptom progression a-b-c-d (peak of wave) d-c-b-a, window starts.

My worst in acute was Mott The Hooples "All The Yound Dudes" it was loud to.

Now I listen and play music again constantly, especially driving, so the songs are always changing.

I couldn't watch TV or listen to the radio for the first year, unless it was late at night.

It gets better!  :angel:

LOL!!! Mott the Hoople would have driven this old lady truly insane.

My first looping music was an auditory hallucination. I am not Catholic or even religious but what I heard sounded like a choir of priests singing....24/7. It just went on and on and on, and I had no way to turn it off. I had only recently learned about distracting myself. It was very difficult to distract from those guys singing in my head. LOL!

Over time,  the tunes changed and I no longer heard actual voices. I just "heard" various tunes that repeated over and over, 24/7. Sometimes it sounded sad, sometimes it sounded more upbeat. Time went on. This has been one of my longest lasting symptoms. I have had it for almost 7 years now. Now - much much less. Seems to get worse when I am tired. I have often thought that by now, it is just a habit, sort of an OCD thing. Other than that I am just fine now and I long ago learned to cope with this odd symptom.

east

PS Mott the Hoople - OMG!

• 3 weeks later...
I been getting the lyrics stuck in my head since May 2018. Just wondering if it stopped for anyone. I’m just starting my taper off of K last week. They are usually songs I enjoyed or loved for years. They come and go now when I am distracted. I also have tinnitus moderate. Never had them before benzo use. Will they go away after I jump soon?! I’m only 46. Anyone young have this problem during taper and after jumping during withdrawal and for how long?! Just want to I’m not crazy or alone in this. Any to know when or if did stop how long it took?! Reading posts I know I’m not alone.

This stuff does go away. Tinnitis will leave you and I am sure the looping music will too. You are not crazy in the slightest. All of this stuff is being caused by your brain, which is healing itself and in that process, causing weird symptoms. No one can tell you when it will go away. This is a very individual thing. But in time, WD symptoms will drop away and leave you feeling a lot better.

Hi Trench,

Do not be alarmed by my response. It has been almost 7 years since I went CT off huge amounts of benzos and ADs. At first it was clearly an auditory hallucination. I heard real voices singing. Over time it became a bit different and I no longer heard actual voices.

I went CT in July 2012. I STILL sometimes hear some weird nonsensical tune inside my head but its FAR different from being an auditory hallucination. Because I am a nurse and worked with many head trauma patients (think strokes, car accidents and people with various diseases that affect the brain-) I knew tht the human brain is extremely capable of healing itself. Patients families call it a miracle but to us nurses, it was a normal part of the brain functioning well. Now that I am fully healed, I strongly feel that the weird music I still sometimes hear is some sort of form of OCD. In simple - it has become a habit for me. It does not bother me or frighten me now at all.

east

[8d...]

"All the busy little creatures chasing out their destinies, living in their pools they soon forget about the sea..."

Rush

• 3 weeks later...

Michael Jackson’s — Beat it, just beat it (with the music) ....  months 1 - 2 ... drove me nuts!  Months 3+ it’s gone!

SS

I sure miss Michael Jackson. Loved his dancing; not so much his squeaky high voice. I also miss Prince, oh how I miss Prince! His music was pure genius and he danced just as well as MJ. I miss Rick James even more. Good looking and he sure could sing his songs like crazy wonderful. I grew up on R&B and soul, as I lived just outside Washington DC. R&B was almost all of what I heard as a young kid. It always appealed to me. Yes, in the 60's I fell for psychedelic music. I saw Jimmy Hendrix live twice and will never forget those magical concerts. Yes, he did set his guitar on fire. LOL! Plus an American flag. Those were the 60's...long gone now. Name an old group from the 60's and 70's and I probably saw them in concert. That is what young people did back then. Smoke weed and go to rock concerts.

And I STILL prefer R&B the best.

• 1 month later...