Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Remeron (Mirtazapine) Withdrawal Support Group

[no...]

I recently started remeron after getting off Klonopin. I'm doing 7.5 and plan to just stay there. I'm sleeping pretty well which wasn't the case prior so I really want to stay on it for a year and If I'm feeling well from the benzo healing then Ill try to come off remeron.

The only side effect I seem to be getting is skin seems to turn red and burn easily. It only last for 10-20 minutes. Anyone else had this?

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ja...]

• [Co...]

• [ja...]

• [no...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Bwillow,

It’s really hard to distinguish Remeron side effects from benzo withdrawal symptoms. The longer I was on Remeron the less side effects I had so I could never tell if they were benzo or mirt related. I do know that Remeron helped me a lot in early benzo withdrawal. I am glad you started at a relatively low dose. I am increasingly convinced that 7.5 is the ideal dose for benzo withdrawal but that is just my opinion.

The only skin issue was that all summer I burned super easy. I work outside and covered up and wore 100 spf and I still got a super dark tan.(I am Irish/fair skinned naturally). I am still not sure if it was the mirt or the Xanax withdrawal.

Bwillow,

It’s really hard to distinguish Remeron side effects from benzo withdrawal symptoms. The longer I was on Remeron the less side effects I had so I could never tell if they were benzo or mirt related. I do know that Remeron helped me a lot in early benzo withdrawal. I am glad you started at a relatively low dose. I am increasingly convinced that 7.5 is the ideal dose for benzo withdrawal but that is just my opinion.

The only skin issue was that all summer I burned super easy. I work outside and covered up and wore 100 spf and I still got a super dark tan.(I am Irish/fair skinned naturally). I am still not sure if it was the mirt or the Xanax withdrawal.

7.5 is a lifesaver for me. I was doing so well until I got sick and this likely brought on a wave so of course I stupidly thought going up to 15 would help. By the fourth day of that my brain was freaking out so I stopped for a week. Went back to 7.5 and things are getting back to the way it was the first go at that dose. I realized 15 is to much but sleep and whatever else remeron does is helping to keep w/d sxs at a manageable level. Mornings are the worst and then things are okay as I go about my day and then evenings back to bad so I take the remeron and back to living okay. Its given me a lot of hope that I can get through the healing.

Hello Everyone,

I am new to BB but I have been following you all for several months.  I jumped from a 10 month Xanax taper on July 2018.  I am 19 months out and about 80% recovered.  I started a taper from Mirt 7.5 mg last June and I am 3/4 of the way completed.  My first cut was 1/4 which was too much given that I was still having significant benzo withdrawal.  It took me 6 weeks to stabilize.  My dr was willing to give me a script for liquid at 7.5 mg/5 ml.  I started where I had left off and I have been decreasing .1 ml every week.  I'm tolerating it well, but I can definitely feel it since I passed 3.75 mg.  Most of my symptoms are physical at this point.  Here's my question:  My benzo withdrawal symptoms were much, much worse after I jumped.  Can I expect the same after I jump from the Mirt? I know everyone is different, but I guess what has been everyone's experience post jump?  Thank you.

Hi Warrior. I can’t tell you what your sxs will be like after you jump but I can tell you my mirtazapine taper has been worse since going below 3.75mg. I’ve been miserable much of the time. I’m now at 0.8mg. I wake up feeling really crappy. I improve during the day but still not a ball of energy. I’m planning on 3 more cuts and then I’m done. I’d suggest taking your last 3.75mg slow and easy. We are all different so your last bit of taper might might go ok.

Pokey

I was on Mirt for 8 months before I started my taper. 

My days are like that as well.  Always feel better as the day goes on.  I wish you the best on the remainder of you taper.  You are so close.  I look forward to hearing how things go.  Thank you for responding.

Hi warrior, I’m still tapering and I’m at 0.016 grams so about 1.5 Mg, close enough. It’s been a ride I’ll tell you that. I cut once a month. I plan to go as low as I can by crushing and weighing my doses. So far I’m doing it. Mirtezapine is a different withdrawal for me. I tapered Valium and c/t Lorazepam. This drug has really played on my emotions. I’m not sure how this will be when I’m off it but hoping I can just be over it. All I can so is go slow. It sneaks up on you.

Jackie  :smitten:

I am in wd after a crash in Sept. I took 4 rescue doses of mirtz. 3.5,3.5 day 1 day 2,  5 days later I took two more back to back. 3.5 and 7mg.  Could this cause more insomnia? Things got worse since. I can’t tolerate this drug on an everyday basis.

Hi guys

Looking for advice plz..

I dropped back down to 15mg from 30mg 2 weeks ago feeling much better than i was feeling on the higher dose still dealing with anxiety so i want to get down to 7.5mg how long should I hold on the 15mg before i make the drop

Hi guys

Looking for advice plz..

I dropped back down to 15mg from 30mg 2 weeks ago feeling much better than i was feeling on the higher dose still dealing with anxiety so i want to get down to 7.5mg how long should I hold on the 15mg before i make the drop

I don’t think there are too many active members on this thread who would advocate going from 15 mg to 7.5 in one drop. I sure can’t. Everyone is different though and I know people have and survived it and many have and had no symptoms. Most of us are dropping by tiny fractions and suffering significantly  so it’s hard to say. The rule is to cut no more than 10 percent a month. Also, a small timeframe like 2 or 3 months on mirt is more than plenty of time to build a full dependency on it.

Jack thank you... your advice is always so helpful

I really don't know how im going to do the 10% cuts i have 30mg tablets and have been just halving them any advice on what i can do

For myself when I started tapering from 15 mg I had my doctor write a script to a compounding pharmacy for a liquid compound and I have been tapering from that. Some people will dry cut or shave down the 15 mg pill. I am not sure how accurate that is as you don’t really know if the medication is evenly distributed within the pill. You could just half it. Many people can. However, those people don’t need internet support groups because they can just stop at will. So I don’t think you’ll find anyone like that on this thread, lol. My doctor told me I could just halve the pill and that most of her patients have no issue discontinuing Remeron. I have talked to people in both categories and have no idea what the real numbers are on the issue. The only problem is you don’t find out which boat you are in until it’s too late. That is why I proceeded slowly against my docs advice and thank God I did because had I listened to my doctor and made a fifty percent cut in one shot I would have been destroyed. The 10 percent cut I made at first crushed me for three weeks which is why I micro taper instead ever since.

I recently started remeron after getting off Klonopin. I'm doing 7.5 and plan to just stay there. I'm sleeping pretty well which wasn't the case prior so I really want to stay on it for a year and If I'm feeling well from the benzo healing then Ill try to come off remeron.

The only side effect I seem to be getting is skin seems to turn red and burn easily. It only last for 10-20 minutes. Anyone else had this?

Following... I'm right where you are!! Congrats on your Klonopin taper!!!  :thumbsup::smitten:

Hi guys

Looking for advice plz..

If you want to get some advices about it until you finish, send a message to Bledar Tyxhari on facebook and then attend to this group. They are always there to give you support like Jack does here.

June,

Thinking about you this morning. How are you feeling lately? If I am correct you have been holding since September. Are you still suffering at the same level or have your symptoms eased up at all?

Hey guys just a little update i took the plunge and dropped  to 7.5 from the 15mg gp said i shouldn't have any problems but i was nervous about it

its been 8 days on new dose..

The only real problem im having is sleep it hasn't been great

Also im waking at night with terrible sweats and stomach is a little sick at times

But its all manageable.

Fingers crossed it stays that way..

How are you all doing? Good i hope....

June,

Thinking about you this morning. How are you feeling lately? If I am correct you have been holding since September. Are you still suffering at the same level or have your symptoms eased up at all?

Thank you my dear friend,your support has been valuable all the time...

To be honest, the things are not well. I was happy with the lose of adrenal attacks in october. It gave me the patience about that motto "What comes with wd,left with wd". But in these days, i am living a very bad kind of anx. that has already never soothed. My face nerves are so dynamic that makes me panicky. In early times of wd and also rem taper, i had lived head pressure and anxiety. But this one is so hard. The movements around my back of head and forehead, face nerves stimulation are steady. I remember the day people celebrate new year and these movs were also there. It has been 2 months and there has been no improvements. In fact, there has been many improvements in my brain, i know but suffering goes on. Too many questions in my head. "Remeron is an obstacle in front of healing?", "Should i taper again, because this will continue etc etc." I saw many people here leaving benzos and going medications with improvements. But, i dont understand my term still isn't coming.

More, there has been some new problems.Skin rashes has passed one month,bouts of depression,burning,exhaustion etc etc. I can cope with all of them but this type of nerve fucking anx. is really boring.

I am resisting against going medication and hospitalization.I dont want my two lovely children have a father who is a living dead.Trying to keep calmness but sometimes I cant do. Last weekend when my wife was near me i screamed that i would kill my two prescriber one of whom(the last one) gave me abilify then dont read the prospectus. (When i started it for the purpose of jaw clenching, i supposed it was just support due to it is syrup. Because pharmacy gave me with no prescription.)Then i was angry to myself. It just destroyed me but my nerves were being cut and I had to throw out my anger. Anyway, if i pothered, forgive me :( I am in a very bad wave and i just want to push it. Because holding is very discouraging...I just tried to trim 0,15 mg/weekly for 3 three weeks at the start of this month. But i stopped it.Now i am thinking to start 5-7 % taper monthly. Because, it doesnt sense to fix it, skin rashes happened while holding, other things happened while holding...I am curious about that how you hold it about 8 months and also curious that you are getting any sxs while pushing it in an aggresivve pace.

More than that, i am trying to distract as much as i can. Walking, meditation, meeting friends bla bla bla...

Hello Everyone. June it sounds like you are having as much “fun” as I am but in a different way. I’m now down to 0.7mg of mirtazapine. All my WD sxs are physical. No anxiety issues and the like. Thankful for that. I wake up 2-3x a night in pain, nauseous with stiff, painful and ancy legs. I have to get up and go lay in the recliner for a while. Sometimes I go back to sleep there but usually not and get up and go back to bed. Then a couple hours later wake up feeling bad again. I keep thinking this surely can’t be just WD, it must be something more serious, something life threatening because I feel like I’m dying and it seems to be getting worse the lower I go. But I have had multiple blood tests and they show nothing. Results are normal. I am however having a brain MRI this week as they have found some unusual spots in my right eye. The ophthalmologist asked if I’d ever had lymphoma which I haven’t. So I have to wonder if there is something lurking in my brain besides a benzo brain. But my PCP says my symptoms and their daily waxing and waning don’t fit with having brain lymphoma or another organic brain disorder.  He says he pretty sure I don’t have anything like that but decided to do the MRI just to confirm that I don’t and all this is likely WD. I think it’s protracted benzo WD symptoms that are now being unmasked now that I have virtually nothing left in my system left to mask them. But why they predominantly affect me at night is a mystery to me. I just know it’s wearing me completely thin.

I just passed one month since jump. It was 3 mg,2,1 and out with a month at each step. i think I'm getting hit with the paws now, but it hasn't been too bad so far at the steps.

It feels to me like my body had a sense of the steps and got a routine, so it almost knew what 30 days felt like. The paws never started til I jumped.

Hi All, 

I'm not regularly on this thread, but check in periodically since I'm on Mirtazapine during/after Benzo taper and am wanting to being tapering it at some point soon.  I've reduce my dose a couple times, but haven't started a consistent taper as yet.  Still gathering information and the gumption.

I'm here today because I just wanted to let you all know about the Tapping World Summit which started yesterday and runs for 10 days.  It will introduce you to EFT which is a helpful way to deal with anxiety, stress, and emotional negativity. 

EFT stands for Emotional Freedom Technique.  You tap (with your finger/hand) on meridian points on your body, while releasing unwanted emotions through self-talk on a specific issue like anxiety.  EFT has been around for a long time, but Nick and Jessica Ortner have taken the scientific principals of EFT and made it more easily available to the world through their website and the summit they do once each year.  Lots of good free information to get you going if you've never tried it and are interested.  There is a lot of reserach around its effectiveness, and it is non-invasive.  It works best if you do it regularly much like meditation or breathing exercises.  I've learned a lot from their forum and I use it myself.

I am in no way a sponsor, just sharing something that could be helpful with all the negativity in and around withdrawal. 

Here is the link:

https://www.thetappingsolution.com/2020event/

June,

It sounds like you’re going through hell. I am so sorry. I wish there was something I could say that would help but I just don’t know. I keep hoping you will see some relief soon. It’s so scary when you don’t know what to do. I wonder if this is Remeron related or from the other meds you C/Td. Are you still on 11 mg or did you taper down a little bit?

You know my whole story already. I think my biggest mistake in bad times is to start Remeron(at least it mustn't have be at a high dose like 15 mg) and coming this thread too late. When i came here, it was already 10 days and I should have listened Jackie's advice and quit. But who knows. When i was at worst in those days, my anx. was somehow bearable. Now, i don't think remeron gives me extra anxiety, because i havent made dramatic changes for a long time except starting. I believe these restless face nerves are result of CTs. In fact, they weren't CT. Because, they were for short term and i didn't live deep problems in the acute contrary to most people did. Only head press,anx.,some dp/dr etc.The reality is that my CNS was messed up a bit and starting remeron at 15 mg didnt give it to catch up changes.Anyway, it is what it is. Now, i should overcome this unpleasant situation. I say myself steadily "you are in a wave","like palps this too shall pass", etc.

The most discouraging side of this condition is inner facial movements. They dont disturb me with the occurance of themselves. They disturb me like that "somethings in my brain are going on and this will take sometime". I dont know you and others lived such a condition like that. You can feel something is goin on and you wanna know when this ll stop. My wife still insists me to check a GP, the only thing i say her "i got you, you wanna help me but you dont know nothing about that",then she worries me and i worry her. If i can succeed this thing, i will devote my life to help people in this condition, at least in my country.

Tapering.The feeling that i couldnt taste. Holding is really hard when you are symptomatic.I know you held 7&8 months but saw improvements. As i couldn't see improvements, more new ones added up to it.(skin rashes,exhaustion etc) So, i decided to push it in small doses while my nerves are healing at background. So, i made 3 cuts(0.15/weeks) at the start of this month but stopped. Then, i am starting % 4&5 monthly cuts today. I hope it wont overload my CNS. Thank you for your care...

When is the best time to start tapering Remeron if  you’re  off benzos do you wait 18 months to 24 months or there is no limit on the time after Benzos?