`One Year Off Xanax`

[me...]

Megan

I noticed that you were a painter and I am wondering if you are painting again.  I use to be a musician and have had no desire to play the piano or guitar.  Do you get your desire and interest in life back.  Can you describe what that has been like for you? 

Thanks so much Megan

Golden

I'm having creative urges I haven't had for many years.  I've yet to start painting, but that's coming soon.  My depression and anxiety are much better now.  But most of all, I've found a spiritual path that resonates with me.  I meditate frequently and live "in the moment." 

Megan

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [me...]

• [Ja...]

• [st...]

• [Mi...]

Tx Megan. I do take Advil which helps sometimes. I feel like my symptoms are decreasing and hope they continue to do so.

Megan, congrats on your year off mark, though it's more than that now.  Thanks for sharing your timelines, too.  It's helps me so much to know that I've been feeling those exact same s/x's and that it will get better in time.  You are an artist, I've read in your posts, and it would be great if you could share some photos of your work on this site for us to enjoy?  I would love to see some of it.    :) 

• 3 weeks later...
This is so beautiful it made me cry ... of course, I cry a lot these days! I am pretty sure that if you can do it I can, too. Thank you for giving me much-needed hope.

• 3 weeks later...
Megan, I'm experiencing extreme heat surges from my head, chest, arms, abdomen, and they turn red ax nd feel hot. Did you ed xperience anything like that? If not do you know what causes it.I'm miserable, mandy

Megan, I'm experiencing extreme heat surges from my head, chest, arms, abdomen, and they turn red ax nd feel hot. Did you ed xperience anything like that? If not do you know what causes it.I'm miserable, mandy

Yes, I went through this almost every day for several months.  Other people have mentioned it, too.  At about 6 months off it subsided, and now I almost never have it.  As far as the cause, something to do with the CNS, but other than that I don't know.

:thumbsup:

I'm sorry, for asking did you ever feel any rage, if yes how long did it take to Ho away. This OS somethingi just started to experience and I'm really scared, please help thanks Mandy

I'm sorry, for asking did you ever feel any rage, if yes how long did it take to Ho away. This OS somethingi just started to experience and I'm really scared, please help thanks Mandy

Hi again,

I had some very strong emotions of all kinds, there was a kind of feeling like I was about to explode.  It wasn't "rage" per se, or at least I didn't direct it outward.  Many others here have spoken of anger or rage, though, and it does pass.  It's temporary.

hi megan, just found your success story,i am abit of a slowy now a days.

thanks for sharing gives me hope.

all the best to you

claudia

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Megan.

I hope you don't mind my asking, but how did you feel two weeks off the Xanax? I jumped on july 3 and this is week two without any Xanax. The first week was like it always was after a cut, but now this is the second week, and things are getting somewhat worse. I have so much inner restlessness, and I guess it's anxiety..but not like my "old" anxiety before Xanax. It's more like inner vibrations, and irritability. Awful irritability. My arms feel heavy and weak. I can deal with this if I knew it was withdrawal and the healing process but I'm starting to get afraid that this is permanent and not withdrawal. I just wish I knew what to expect now that I'm done with the tapering. I'm letting depression seep into the mix now. And I'm agoraphobic. I'm sorry to bother you with this on your success thread. I'm desperate for some reassurance.

Stevie :smitten:

Hi Megan.

I hope you don't mind my asking, but how did you feel two weeks off the Xanax? I jumped on july 3 and this is week two without any Xanax. The first week was like it always was after a cut, but now this is the second week, and things are getting somewhat worse. I have so much inner restlessness, and I guess it's anxiety..but not like my "old" anxiety before Xanax. It's more like inner vibrations, and irritability. Awful irritability. My arms feel heavy and weak. I can deal with this if I knew it was withdrawal and the healing process but I'm starting to get afraid that this is permanent and not withdrawal. I just wish I knew what to expect now that I'm done with the tapering. I'm letting depression seep into the mix now. And I'm agoraphobic. I'm sorry to bother you with this on your success thread. I'm desperate for some reassurance.

What your describing is common in withdrawal, and at two weeks off you're in acute acute withdrawal!  To be honest, I don't remember my specific symptoms at exactly two weeks off, though it was basically all of them--especially the physical symptoms.  Believe me, it's in no way permanent, but healing can take time and the best thing to do is to obsessively distract yourself from the symptoms.  That's what I learned to do, and it helped more than anything else.

Hi Megan.

What your describing is common in withdrawal, and at two weeks off you're in acute acute withdrawal!  To be honest, I don't remember my specific symptoms at exactly two weeks off, though it was basically all of them--especially the physical symptoms.  Believe me, it's in no way permanent, but healing can take time and the best thing to do is to obsessively distract yourself from the symptoms.  That's what I learned to do, and it helped more than anything else.

Thank you so much for your quick reply, Megan. :smitten: I don't need to know your exact symptoms at two weeks, but just knowing that there are symptoms at two weeks, is good enough for me. I'm 60 years old and feel like I aged so much this past year. I just want to get to a "normal" point quickly since I'm not a spring chicken. :sick: Thank you for your encouragement and for sharing your experience. I didn't get to read all of your posts, but I will try in the next day or so. Congratulations on your success!! :clap::yippee:

Stevie :-*

Hi Megan.

Thank you so much for your quick reply, Megan. :smitten: I don't need to know your exact symptoms at two weeks, but just knowing that there are symptoms at two weeks, is good enough for me. I'm 60 years old and feel like I aged so much this past year. I just want to get to a "normal" point quickly since I'm not a spring chicken. :sick: Thank you for your encouragement and for sharing your experience. I didn't get to read all of your posts, but I will try in the next day or so. Congratulations on your success!! :clap::yippee:

Thanks, Stevie--I'm actually three years older than you, so if I can do it, you can too!

:smitten:

Hi Megan.

Thanks, Stevie--I'm actually three years older than you, so if I can do it, you can too!

:smitten:

Now THAT'S good to know. lol I don't see many 60-some year olds here. ;D

Hi megan918,

Fantastic, simply fantastic...

I got the Ole' congestion, dizziness and blurred vision toward the end of my taper. It now appears randomly (in the mid-afternoon not to often thank goodness) since I finished but I know what you mean. I often wondered if was just Hay Fever but then it disappears as fast as it appears.... Hay Fever doesn't do that. It continues to amaze me how these symptoms are so similar but so different in each individual at the same time.

Anyway congratulations...

Cheers,

Adie 

When did your nerve pains and vibrations go away? That is basically what I have left at almost 9 months off that causes a cascade of events. No nerve pain, then I would have minor symptoms.

When did your nerve pains and vibrations go away? That is basically what I have left at almost 9 months off that causes a cascade of events. No nerve pain, then I would have minor symptoms.

My nerve symptoms gradually got better over many months.  At about month 8, noticeable healing began, and now I hardly ever have nerve issues.

stevie and megan.

you are still ''puppies'' cause i am 64.

take care

claudia    :tickedoff:

lol You only have three years on me, Claudia. I'll be 61 in three months. So far I hate the 60's.  :crazy:

Hi Megan,

I'm a bit late to this celebration, but congratulations, Megan!  You have handled the quick withdrawal well and have been a major help to many here (me on many occasions) with your wise replies  :)

btw, I am 62 and hope the make the end of this decade better than the beginning!

All the best to you...

Love,

Ellen

Update:

Now, at 16+ months off I'm seeing further signs of healing:

I'm no longer obsessing about things like cleaning/organizing my house and garden.  Nor am I procrastinating and obsessing about that.  Lately I just do whatever needs to be done and that's that.  This is a major thing for me--even before I took Xanax I had major issues with perfectionism (feeling I had to do everything "perfectly" or not at all).  I'm also having almost no morning anxiety at this point.

Fingers crossed...... ::)

stevie and megan.

you are still ''puppies'' cause i am 64.

take care

claudia    :tickedoff:

Mom, can I go out and play with my other 62 year old friends?

Nice one, Megan. It's a nice feeling when you see the finish line in sight (touch wood).

Megan, when did your morning anxiety start to subside?  This is a very bad s/x's for me at 8 months off.  It's very slowly getting better, but anxiety is still very bad.  I can't get out of bed or get going until that settles down.  I get up and move around a bit, but feel so terrible I need to lie down again.  I think I have the worst case of anxiety of anyone on this forum.  Tonight I had a bout of anxiety, but was able to get myself out of it. 

Megan, when did your morning anxiety start to subside?  This is a very bad s/x's for me at 8 months off.  It's very slowly getting better, but anxiety is still very bad.  I can't get out of bed or get going until that settles down.  I get up and move around a bit, but feel so terrible I need to lie down again.  I think I have the worst case of anxiety of anyone on this forum.  Tonight I had a bout of anxiety, but was able to get myself out of it.

Anxiety was by far my worst symptom, originating decades before I ever took any xanax.  Almost always had severe anxiety in the mornings. It took many, many months for my anxiety to get down to a tolerable level, but at about 8 months off my awful morning anxiety began to lift, and now I almost never have it. I hope it will be that way for you, too.

Megan, sorry, I guess it's inappropriate to be asking these questions on your success blog, but I did send a congrats a while back.. . . Anyway, thanks for the reply.  I am exactly 8 months off now and I noticed this morning that the anxiety was not nearly as bad as it has been.  Well, I'll get off your success blog and congrats on doing so well, you seem to know all the tricks in the book and use them to get through this.  I need to practice the distraction more and not focusing on s/x's or the intrusives that go along with it.  It really does help.  That's good advice that you give often.  Thanks.