`One Year Off Xanax`

[me...]

Congrats Megan!! What a wonderful story.

Could you expound on how you learned to deal with the anxiety after it was all over? This is what I worry about the most, being clean but being a bundle of nerves.

I've used a combination of things, meditation, spirituality, distraction, and simply calmly facing my fears.  I also somehow learned to accept the fact that I am, and will remain, a very sensitive person, and will always have a certain amount of anxiety because of it.  Rather than fighting it, I realize it's part of who I am.  Paradoxically, accepting one's "flaws" can help to release the fear and self-judgment around them.

Congrats, Megan!  Wonderful!  I found your insight very enlightening and will ponder that tonight.  You may have said the magic words...just what I needed to hear at this time in my life.  Thanks so much for sharing your journey. 

Continued healing....

Sunnyside :smitten:

Thank you, Sunny!

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [me...]

• [Ja...]

• [st...]

• [Mi...]

Hi  Your story is inspiring.  Am 90 percent off and had a setback and have felt like crap for two weeks.  Only have 1mg. of valium to go and waiting till this relapse subsides! Have been tapering for 1 year now from 1mg. of ativan and c/o to 10mg. valium. 

You are right about the distractions! That does help but the lack of sleep just stinks! Hope that resumes after off and hope I do not have too horrible of a time after off 100 percent! as I tapered for over a year (repeating myself)

Ye, this forum is what makes you want to get off and helps alot!  I tried once before and failed but this time should be ok

Thanks for your story and if you can suggest anything else to help make it not so rough would love your suggestion!

M :)

Hi  Your story is inspiring.  Am 90 percent off and had a setback and have felt like crap for two weeks.  Only have 1mg. of valium to go and waiting till this relapse subsides! Have been tapering for 1 year now from 1mg. of ativan and c/o to 10mg. valium. 

You are right about the distractions! That does help but the lack of sleep just stinks! Hope that resumes after off and hope I do not have too horrible of a time after off 100 percent! as I tapered for over a year (repeating myself)

Ye, this forum is what makes you want to get off and helps alot!  I tried once before and failed but this time should be ok

Thanks for your story and if you can suggest anything else to help make it not so rough would love your suggestion!

M :)

It sounds like you are doing really well.  It's common, when nearing the end of a long taper, to have increased anxiety for a while.  But it's only temporary, and soon you'll be off benzos entirely.  Don't worry about having "failed" before--I've been successful on my third try, and having to try more than once is common.  You are almost there!

Congratulations Megan ! You've done a great job ! I know how hard Xanax is to get off of. I could never have done it without BB.

I hope your recovery continues and that you continue to feel better each and every day !

Hugs,

Lou

This has touched my soul :smitten: I know that I'm not the only one who has such bad anxiety. Being only 24 I developed severe anxiety after having my now 2 1/2 year old. Im currenlty tapering after being medicated for 2 1/2 years. Im hoping and praying that I will be abl;e to cope with the panic attacks on my own I just need a distraction. I cant even exercise because I feel so out of breath and worn down. your story has given me inspiration to push forward and try hard for a quick and healthy recovery :)

Question: do you still experience the palpitations?  If not, how did you fix them?

No, I haven't had palpitations for a long time now.  But then, due to hypertension (unrelated to withdrawal) I'm being prescribed atenolol, a beta blocker which slows the heartbeat. 

Your symptoms at 0-5 are the exact symptoms that I am experiencing to the T. It is uncanny.

I am still at 8 mg of Valium, down from 30 mg. My cut so far has lasted ten months.

The only thing slowing my cut down is how intense my physical symptoms get.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Megan,

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog.  I found this site through a book I was reading, Death Grip by a climber and writer in the name of Matt Samet about "benzo madness"  This prompted me to seek help, so I found this website indirectly, thank God!  Congratulations on being off the pills for over a year! Sincerely  :)  Speak soon.

Peace,

Chris

Megan, congrats and thanks for helping all of us.  In ur story u said that u woke up at 4 am with anjxiety.  was this constant during ur first months off of benzos.  if so, how did u deal with it.  that is my problem now.  i fall asleep but wakeup 4-5 hrs later and am wide awake.  thanks  mark

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

I'm now 90% healed!

Now, at 13+ months off Xanax, and my cog fog has gotten noticeably better!  This is my last and currently "worst" symptom, but it's much better now.

This is especially heartening for me, because I'm over 60 and have been very worried about the dreaded "mental decline" of older age.

:smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

I just found out that I am addicted to ativan.  I thought I had a nervous condition.  The doctor said I have to do this gradual or it could be dangerous.  I am not sure what to do.???? :-\

• 2 weeks later...

megan

You're awesome! You have an amazing story with real world possibilities!  Thanks for being a friend!

Megan.

What a fabulous success story. I'm so glad you posted an update as I missed the post the first time around.

In addition to detailing your success, I love the way you laid out the range of symptoms you experienced. That really helps people, myself included, to relate. Occasionally success stories don't reveal a person's history enough to know if they had an experience similar to one's own.

Congratulations for the incredible distance you have traveled to get to this point! It's so wonderful too reading that your creativity has returned, as I've seen you encourage other artists who have lost that and can't imagine it will come back.  Not to mention your contributions as a moderator, including welcoming so many to the forum which is also of great value.  Much appreciated all around as not only you, but everyone here benefits from your success.

Best, Perseus

megan

You're awesome! You have an amazing story with real world possibilities!  Thanks for being a friend!

Thank you babyrex!

:smitten:

Megan

Megan.

What a fabulous success story. I'm so glad you posted an update as I missed the post the first time around.

In addition to detailing your success, I love the way you laid out the range of symptoms you experienced. That really helps people, myself included, to relate. Occasionally success stories don't reveal a person's history enough to know if they had an experience similar to one's own.

Congratulations for the incredible distance you have traveled to get to this point! It's so wonderful too reading that your creativity has returned, as I've seen you encourage other artists who have lost that and can't imagine it will come back.  Not to mention your contributions as a moderator, including welcoming so many to the forum which is also of great value.  Much appreciated all around as not only you, but everyone here benefits from your success.

Best, Perseus

Thank you so much, Perseus.  Your words mean a lot to me.  I hope my story does help others, and being a moderator has really helped my recovery--it's a great distraction, for one thing!

Love,  Megan

Hi Megan,

I can't believe that I missed this wonderful story.  I'm more than thrilled that you are well enough to tell your Success Story.  Just reading it lifts my heart, you have no idea..It makes us all believe that we are next!  Thank you, thank you, and enjoy your new life in peace.  You deserve it so.  Love, Betsy  :smitten:

Hi Megan.

What a brilliant story.Im 6 weeks out from a ct and reading a story like yours gives me loads of confidence.Hopefully im as strong as you are and can also get through this.Reading other peoples stories scares me a lot of the time but your just makes me want to go on (and on)....Thanks a lot for sharing this and good luck with the rest of your xanax free life...RorB.  :)

Hi Megan,

I can't believe that I missed this wonderful story.  I'm more than thrilled that you are well enough to tell your Success Story.  Just reading it lifts my heart, you have no idea..It makes us all believe that we are next!  Thank you, thank you, and enjoy your new life in peace.  You deserve it so.  Love, Betsy  :smitten:

Thanks so much, Betsy!  This means a lot coming from you!

:smitten:

Megan

Hi Megan.

What a brilliant story.Im 6 weeks out from a ct and reading a story like yours gives me loads of confidence.Hopefully im as strong as you are and can also get through this.Reading other peoples stories scares me a lot of the time but your just makes me want to go on (and on)....Thanks a lot for sharing this and good luck with the rest of your xanax free life...RorB.  :)

I really appreciate your comments.  I know there are plenty of "scary" stories on this site, but the truth is we all heal eventually--and the majority are significantly better or healed within a year, even long-term users like me.

:thumbsup:

Hello Dear Megan,

OMG, how did I not see your "Success Story"?? :idiot: ME!!  What a journey you have traveled, but look at you, another wonderful soul who reclaimed their life with their inner strength.  Your story provides just that, the inner strength within that you grabbed onto and trudged ahead to reclaim your life.  Be very, very proud of yourself!  Each and every bb has this, just like you have shown.  Yes, healing does occur for one and all.

Blessing always to you Megan, you have a wonderful new life!! CONGRATULATIONS!! :clap: :clap: :clap::thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hugs,

Pattylu  :smitten:

Megan

Your story was inspirational to read today!

I will be finishing my fourth month from c/t off klonopin  I had been exposed briefly to other benzos through my life but the time was so short that I don't remember what they were or how long

Your success and healing has given me hope.

Thank you

Megan

I noticed that you were a painter and I am wondering if you are painting again.  I use to be a musician and have had no desire to play the piano or guitar.  Do you get your desire and interest in life back.  Can you describe what that has been like for you? 

Thanks so much Megan

Golden

• 2 weeks later...
Was reading your post. I am ending month 6 in a few days and my last horrifying symptom starts with deep vibrations turning into nerve pain, especially in my legs and upper and lower gums and neck. So painful. The length of time in which it is bothering me has decreased, but it keeps coming back. Were you able to do anything to relieve this pain? When did it finally start to decrease. Tx.

Was reading your post. I am ending month 6 in a few days and my last horrifying symptom starts with deep vibrations turning into nerve pain, especially in my legs and upper and lower gums and neck. So painful. The length of time in which it is bothering me has decreased, but it keeps coming back. Were you able to do anything to relieve this pain? When did it finally start to decrease. Tx.

Hi Jazzy,

Most of my physical symptoms were on the decrease by month 6, but then for a few months anxiety and other mental symptoms took over.  By that time my physical pain was much less, though, and all I do/did for physical pain was to try to distract myself from it.  I also used ibuprofen, which helped a lot.