Gram Scale FYI

[...]

Hi,

My pills weigh 152 grams...my pill is .25mg...here is my formula..if my  cut pill weighs 100gr....is 100/152 x .25...my dosage is then .164mg....substitute your pills values. Hope that helps. I  then created a small cheat sheet at each 10 gram weight so I had a chart for quick reference.

.25mg/.152g = 1.64mg per gram

.100g x 1.64(constant)- 0.164mg

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ho...]

• [jr...]

• [...]

• [ro...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah... actually, I have a Q for goingtobedone.  Do you mean that your .25 mg dose pill weighs 152 grams?

I'm still confused, because each of my .5 mg pills comes out to a different weight; as I wrote above, some pills weigh .164, some .167, some 168, etc.  Usually varies within a range of .164 to .168/9.

I'm assuming, however, that each contains precisely .5 mg of clonazepam. 

This seems to suggest that I'll need to weigh each pill individually before calculating the amount of dose per mg, then cut. 

Does this make sense to y'all?

Weigh 10 pills and divide the total weight by 10. That is your average. Precision and accuracy are not as important as a consistent taper

• 1 month later...

Hey guys new to this forum, long story short I've been on xanax for 11 years at a low dose due to a tragedy losing my son 11 years ago and the anxiety of the whole situation hit me hard, my doctor gave xanax and it helped but I was unaware of the physical addiction it carries. Anyway I'm trying to get off it and think I'm making too big of cuts but I've never taken more then 1mg daily and for last 6-8 months have been at .25 3 times a day for .75 total. Last couple days I've tried going to .5 daily but noticed the anxiety is really bad in morning, last couple days I've taken .25 in morning and .25 at night but notice the anxiety between doses is high. My doctor wants me to try zoloft to get me off the xanax but I'm skeptical about those antidepressants. Any advice on how to cut from .75 the best way or any advice would be helpful... thank you

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick FYI...

There is now a gram scale benzo withdrawal video demonstration on youtube for those of you who want to stay dry cutting and slow it down.  Here is the link:

http://youtu.be/ySD_UIMVFg0

Thank you so much for this!!! I honestly can't thank you enough! Xo

Lori

• 4 weeks later...
Thank you for sharing this.  I've just started tapering and have bought the scale and have been trying to figure out the best way.  This is much better than trying to cut it into little pieces.  :)

Thank you for sharing this.  I've just started tapering and have bought the scale and have been trying to figure out the best way.  This is much better than trying to cut it into little pieces.  :)

Don't forget to check out compounded pills. You can do this by mail too. I thought it was a better option than liquid, scale or cutting pills.

My mom is from ME. i just drove her up there to visit her sister.

• 2 months later...

The video is great BUT when it comes to saving and using powder, as well as continued handling of the pills, I have read that when pills are exposed to oxygen and the oils from hands it weaknes the potency. Does anyone here have knowledge to back this up one way or another. I DID at one point re-cut a bunch of pills and noticed that the ones I handled alot and that were not taken soon after cutting were not as potent (!)

Please any comment on this would be great,

Thank you

• 3 months later...
Please, someone help--the video is no longer at the link in this forum. Please help those of who desperately need some resources. Thank you in advance!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I use the 10% method tapering off Seroquel. Seroquel is soluble in water. The method has worked well for me, since starting on August 11th. My starting dose was 800 mgs, and I am currently down to 427mgs.  I began, at monthly intervals - had no withdrawal symptoms, save for intense burning and tingling in the mouth and tongue.  I am now tapering at weekly intervals. I use a combination of liquid and pills. The dilution I use, is as follows:

1. Use 25 mls of water, and dissolve 100 mgs of Seroquel. This gives a ratio of 1ml = 4 mgs of Seroquel.

OR

2. Use 50 mls of water, and dissolve 200 mgs of Seroquel. . The ratio is the same. 

Shake well before drawing up. You will see some residue in the container - that is the outer yellow coating of the pill. I use 400 mgs pills , which split evenly into 200 and 100 mgs quantities. I have now started adding 50 mgs pills, for accuracy, as I hit the lower doses. You will need 10 ml , and 1 ml syringes, - the one mil syringes should be graded in 0.1 ml segements. 0.5 of the graded 1ml syringes = 2mgs Seroquel. I hope this is helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

I weigh my medication out, usually once a week but was wondering if people tend to calibrate their scales every time they use them or not.

Thanks

I have just purchased a gram scale as the pharmacy is cutting my .5 ativan in half and they are never the same.  I find when tapering the dose needs to be consistent.  I am taking 1 mg of ativan, down from 2 which has taken me forever and my next cut will be to take .75 so needed to find a more accurate way of getting the correct dose.  I was very happy to see your post😀Wish me luck.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There use to be a few videos of this but I have been searching and they are no longer there and can't find any others :( I dry cut ativan for my daughter and have been for 2 years. I use a gram scale (Amazon about $25-make sure it is set to "g" and place tray on scale then hit tare button to set to zero which will way only the pill and not the metal tray but every scale is different). I always measure 2-3 times! Not sure exactly where you are in the process but you weigh the pill at your current dose and cut ( I use a straight razor blade on a cheap dollar store mirror) 10% of what your current dose is and that is the gram weight for the next 30 days. Then you cut 10% from that gram weight for the next 30 days and so on.... I keep track of the grams and dates on a paper next to the pills. I cut and weigh each pill every dose (1 x daily) and only calibrate scale if it seems off. You get a feel for what looks right or if the scale #'s jump around. If I have "extra" from the cuts, I save those in the script bottle in case I need it later. Always worried that doc wouldn't refill but they did and really didn't need them. We are almost ready to stop ativan  :thumbsup:

Hope this helps!

I have a scale question.

Got one of the recommended ones but sometimes it keeps fluctuating depending how long you put meds in the little bow.  What do you guys do about that?

Also, the instructions make no sense; I originally put the little weight on to start it but in all this time never used it again.  Should I?  If so what would I do.  Think someone in China wrote the instructions.

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Does anyone have a gram scale they recommend?

I am on 4 mg of valium. For titration I tried having it compounded but the valium they used was much stronger than the brand I use so instead of going down 2% I went up but they can’t tell how much my dose was increased. I actually felt terrible with the increase in dose. The PA I was working with called the pharmist and they figured it out. The PA told me to go back on 4 mg. Horrible withdrawal for a month and a half. Finally starting to stabilize with the usual tolerance symptoms. So I am sure I went down at least 1 mg which is too much for me.

The PA nurse is a no go. The psychiatrist I was going to wanted me to titrate off in 2-3 weeks. My PCP says he really knows nothing about it. So my husband and I are going to do this ourselves.

I have been using valium for 10 years with a high of 30 mg a day 5 years ago for 5 months then started titrating. Because of other health issues my titration has been on and off. I am sick of not feeling well most days so want to get off this drug. Any help is appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm on the list here  and get the notices so I should periodically come in and say that my experience, fwiw, is that librium offfered me the opportunity to use whole mg pills down to jump. I compounded 1 and 2 mg pills near the end and it was quite worry free. It's what I recomend for simplicity.

• 4 weeks later...

How do you dry cut a .5 mg of Ativan?

I crossed to Librium so I used the minimum 5mg caps down to 10 and then used 1 and 2 mg compounded caps to get to jump. You just need a compounding pharmacy.

If you want to use Ativan, the mgs and cuts will involve math and fractions, but it is still possible to have pills compounded to accomplish this.

I just think that every one dealing with scales should at least consider compounding at some point for the ease.

If there are 1/2 mg ativan pills are they big enough to break in half?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wish someone would help me find that original video that Klan posted on page 1 of this thread/topic - I saw it months ago but cannot find it on my you tube history, and I finally have the scale he used on the video and am ready to follow it. It was a very clear & focused, detailed instructional video using this scale that I bought exactly like he used in the video. He was great with setting up the scale and all aspects, tools, the math, et al !

Is there anyway to track down that video ???? It is by far the best instructional dry taper gram scale video I've every seen.

Somebody must remember the title of it ? or saved it to their you tube favorites ? Could it have been deleted (hope not !)