Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Tapering off Ativan Support Thread

[Ti...]

Thanks, Saga, Loraz, and Kyra! My belly still isn't happy, which of course is worrying me a bit, but it's not severe and I can still go about my business. I'll go to the walk-in if it gets more painful or I start, um, "expelling"  :laugh:

Hope everyone is having a lovely weekend so far!  :smitten:

Saga23,

That was a long time ago.

Various reasons. I handled sleep issues incorrectly, and I exercised when

I shouldn't have. More recently, health reasons, messy and complicated to explain.

I know there is not a good way, I just wonder if this way is a very bad way.

I'm just wonder if tapering lorazepam isn't worse than stopping c/t or whatever. I wonder if it's possible at all. Having experienced what I experienced, I would not choose lorazepam for a taper again. It's getting such a miserable drug.

It *is* a high potency benzodiazepine.

I guess the only positive property of this drug is that it had potent anticonvulsive action. Although weaker and different than clonazepam.

Will this not set me up for failure, right at the end ?

Also, I'm taking this benzo in the early afternoon and in the evening. I took clonazepam once a day, in the late evening. I feel like I am taking the afternoon dose while I don't need it !

Liberty, I think you understand that going c/t is not a smart option. How could tapering possibly be worse than a c/t? I remember seeing at one point you had a bad experince with Valium so I understand you feel your options are limited. Still, I sense what is called magical thinking, and it reminded me of the train analogy. Written by Seriously Done to another member, I still believe it's one of the best written analogies for everyone struggling to find their way through this road to freedom. I hope you read this in the spirit it's being offered.  :smitten:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=99784.4080

Mookie you're doing great!  :thumbsup:

Hi Kyra  :) Im glad you found the train analogy helpful too. I hope Seriously can modify it from its original form. I truly believe everyone can benefit from reading. There just isn't an easy way...we've all been there thought that...hope you're doing ok and the burning isn't too awful  :smitten:

I haven't been on here for awhile so trying to catch up with everyone, didn't get to read a whole lot before my brain started to hurt. :(  I am just starting to feel the muscle pain that I have read and heard about...anyone else?  My calf started hurting almost a week ago and the last two days I have had waves of shooting type pains throughout my body and some constant aches...normal?  I hadn't felt anything like this before!!  I had a cut on my calendar last night but didn't do it because I was hurting pretty bad!!  I also THINK it might be that time of the month because of how sore my 'girls' are.  I had a hysterectomy in October and haven't been able to figure out when that is actually happening!! :(  Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can do to ease these pains?  My eating isn't the best because I am sitting in a gymnasium for supper 3-4 nights a week..and if any of you attend basketball games in small towns you will know what kind of food is served there!!  ::) 

From what I did read it seems we are all moving in the right direction, whether slow or fast, we are going to get there!!  Take care everyone and I hope to 'remember' to check in here more often, I feel kind of outta the loop!!  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

I just joined and here's my dilemma.

I currently take 1/2 of a 1mg pill. I cut it in half with a pill cutter. So what would my next step be? To cut the 1/2 in half and then cut the 1/4 in half and remove a piece? Or since the 1/2 looks like a smiley mouth just cut off the tip on one side and a month or so later cut off the other tip etc.... not very precise but ??  I'm doing this myself as my doc is not on board and says take more.

I haven't been on here for awhile so trying to catch up with everyone, didn't get to read a whole lot before my brain started to hurt. :(  I am just starting to feel the muscle pain that I have read and heard about...anyone else?  My calf started hurting almost a week ago and the last two days I have had waves of shooting type pains throughout my body and some constant aches...normal?  I hadn't felt anything like this before!!  I had a cut on my calendar last night but didn't do it because I was hurting pretty bad!!  I also THINK it might be that time of the month because of how sore my 'girls' are.  I had a hysterectomy in October and haven't been able to figure out when that is actually happening!! :(  Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can do to ease these pains?  My eating isn't the best because I am sitting in a gymnasium for supper 3-4 nights a week..and if any of you attend basketball games in small towns you will know what kind of food is served there!!  ::) 

From what I did read it seems we are all moving in the right direction, whether slow or fast, we are going to get there!!  Take care everyone and I hope to 'remember' to check in here more often, I feel kind of outta the loop!!  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Hi Sunny, you sound very busy, that's good. Yes, the ache's and pains are normal, I know a lot of members use Epsom salts and soak in a bathtub. I also used Tylenol and aleve. You're doing a great job :smitten:

I currently take 1/2 of a 1mg pill. I cut it in half with a pill cutter. So what would my next step be? To cut the 1/2 in half and then cut the 1/4 in half and remove a piece? Or since the 1/2 looks like a smiley mouth just cut off the tip on one side and a month or so later cut off the other tip etc.... not very precise but ??  I'm doing this myself as my doc is not on board and says take more.

Welcome Oldgray :)  I see your history is lke mine, a lot of years....congratulations on getting off. I'd start by doing a lot of reading, including a lot of the Ativan thread.

Basically you can continue to do as you mentioned, or for more precision and smaller cuts either begin to liquify ( titrate) or use a jewelers scale, a Gemini pro milligram scale available from Amazon to make smaller reductions in dose.

Many of us find it helpful to take doses multiple times a day because the duration of action seems to last about 6 hours. Keeping the same levels of ativan fairly even seems to help, I'm not sure how often you're dosing, if it's at night only. Either way we will try to answer any questions.

Morning, everyone!! Still doing mostly okay. My belly is still an issue, but it's more of an annoyance. Last night was the first night it didn't hurt, and it's pretty settled still today. It hurt more when I ate more throughout the day. I still ate yesterday, but not as much...pretty much skipped lunch. Had some nibbles at work. I go see my doc on Friday, so she can poke at my belly and see if there is anything to be truly concerned about. I just worry about how long it's gone on, and that it started while I was still on Lorazepam and the SSRI. Anyhoo, I'm still trucking along! Hope everyone is well, today...thanks for the encouragement!!

xo

Mookie  :smitten:

Welcome Oldgray :)  I see your history is lke mine, a lot of years....congratulations on getting off. I'd start by doing a lot of reading, including a lot of the Ativan thread.

Basically you can continue to do as you mentioned, or for more precision and smaller cuts either begin to liquify ( titrate) or use a jewelers scale, a Gemini pro milligram scale available from Amazon to make smaller reductions in dose.

Many of us find it helpful to take doses multiple times a day because the duration of action seems to last about 6 hours. Keeping the same levels of ativan fairly even seems to help, I'm not sure how often you're dosing, if it's at night only. Either way we will try to answer any questions.

Thank you, I was taking .5 at bedtime but then my work schedule got totally screwed up so I started taking .25 around 2 pm and .25 at bedtime and I think it's not working out well. Not sure if I should just go back to .5 at bedtime. 

OMG, I made a cut last night and found out this morning that my uncle is dying so I need to bring my mom to see him which is 5 hours away. That means tomorrow they to I am going to have to be in a car for well over 10 hours, listening to my rambling mother, probably feeling like crap. Pray for me please! ???

Thank you, I was taking .5 at bedtime but then my work schedule got totally screwed up so I started taking .25 around 2 pm and .25 at bedtime and I think it's not working out well. Not sure if I should just go back to .5 at bedtime. 

Sometimes changing the doses means your body feels as though it's a cut in dose rather than the same amount. You could try it the new way, or go back to once at bedtime. If you don't have interdose issues, meaning the feeling of needing to take it before bedtime, by all means go back to the once a day if you feel better taking it that way.  :)

I have been on 6 mg of Lorazepam for 5 years. I don't want to be on it anymore. It was prescribed because I was floxed. The crossover alone scares me to death. I would like to find a doctor in Western New York who knows what they are talking about. Who has experience with Ashton.

I've seen the Ashton Schedule for 6mg. But I was wondering if there is anyone out there that has crossed over, tapered and recovered from this amount. How long did it take? Any insight would be appreciated.

Hey Willy,

Here's a clip from benzodocs.com:

Dr. Beers

200 W 57th

Phone: 212-399-7000

Dr. Gevirtz

Dr. John Shenkle, Plattsburgh Clinton County Mental Health Services

Plattsburgh, NY 12901

Phone: 518-566-0100

Private institute located in NYC and lower Westchester. Dr. Gevirtz does not have a problem with Professor Ashton's method.

If you have further questions, please call us at 914-636-6210

Schachter Center for Complementary Medicine

Suffern, NY.

Phone: 845-368-4700

Web Site: Schachter Center for Complementary Medicine

E-mail office@mbschachter.com

Dr. Schachter is a psychiatrist, into holistic medicine.

Stuart Kloda, MD, PLLC

Columbus Circle

New York, NY 10023

Phone: 646-713-6578

Web Site: http://www.stuartklodamd.com/

Click here for Dr. Kloda's Facebook page.

Oh, good luck, Sunny!! I don't even want to drive for more than 20 minutes or so, anywhere!

Thanks!  I did talk my husband into doing the driving so I just have to get through the car ride,  I have no idea how I am going to keep the stress to a minimum!  Probably pull some hair out tomorrow! 

I started my taper at 3mg May 1,2014 . I'm now at 1.56 mg.  I'm so shaky inside, full of anxiety, nausea, ears ringing , breathing problems , tired but  want to pace the floors. I can not settle down. Hardly any sleep at night nor can I nap during the day.  I'm at such lose ends.

I cut my 9pm dose by 1/32 mg, holding , 17 days ago no change for the better by holding. It has caused me to have  inter-dose feelings on my 5am and 10:30am doses also sometimes it hits me on my 4pm dose too.

Is this normal ? Oh yes, of course nothing is normal when you taper !  Can anyone can tell me if they have experienced this ? If so how do you cope. I try to distract and  do breathing .

Hi Saga, Beth, Kiddo and all my friends. Sorry I have been MIA, I'm struggling like a lot of others here on BB.

It will get better for all of us !

Love and warm winter hugs,

Warrior

So, I met with a psychiatrist a few days ago, and she wanted me to do a direct crossover from 2.5mg ativan to 15 mg of valium. Since I have a history of fluctuating BP and HR with ativan, this idea scared me as I'd be getting wd from ativan much more quickly than I'd be getting relief from valium. I decided to go gradual instead, and decided to slowly introduce valium while slowly decreasing ativan. I've also found out that my system must be sensitive to valium as it decreases my BP and pulse quite a bit.

What valium did was decreased my tolerance wd's, so I could space out the ativan doses (from 5 hours to 6 or even 7), and it let me sleep again. But last night was hell, as shakes all over from ativan wd while my BP and pulse were low. So, I was literally scared to take ativan for a while not to bring up the pulse even lower, but the tremors became unbearable.

After all this, I am wondering if I am a poor candidate for a substitution taper and maybe I should try direct microtaper from ativan (I have the scale now, yeah!). Thanks to valium, I've gotten down to 2.0mg of ativan. Should I just let the V expire out of my system and try my best to stay at 2.0mg ativan? The interdose wd's with ativan are a huge problem for me due to my health anxiety, but the crossover to valium seems to be problematic, too. Any advice, suggestions?

It's a catch 22: when on ativan only,  the tolerance wd's are terrible, but when adding valium they become very bearable. But, since I get symptom free with valium (other than being really tired), it becomes hard to stay on top of proper ativan dosing. I know there are ashton tables and schedules where 1/2 ativan & 1/2 v dose are taken, but I've tried those, and the BP spikes are hard to deal with.

I just feel very lost and confused. I had a great deal of hope in valium crossover, but trying to synch up fast acting and a slow acting benzo to minimize symptoms seems extremely difficult. Unfortunately, it's only 21st century, so we don't have nano bots to do micro adjustment of dosages 24/7.

I'm trying to get a handle on my lorazepam 'problem'.

Originally I was on clonazepam but since I had great difficulty tapering this drug I was switched to lorazepam - long story.

A question about two of the properties of lorazepam.

The hypnotic and the sedative properties. The hypnotic properties disappeared within 1-2 weeks.

The sedative properties have almost completely disappeared after about 20 days.

What's your experience ? Is this common ? In the beginning lorazepam was tolerable but since I developed tolerance to the hypnotic and even the sedative properties (for the most part) sleeping is very difficult. I usually get only 4-5 hours, and falling asleep is a chore. Sleeping on clonazepam was much better, although not perfect.

I switched from clonazepam to lorazepam without a 'crossover' period.

Originally I was on clonazepam but since I had great difficulty tapering this drug I was switched to lorazepam - long story.

The hypnotic and the sedative properties. The hypnotic properties disappeared within 1-2 weeks.

What's your experience ? Is this common ? In the beginning lorazepam was tolerable but since I developed tolerance to the hypnotic and even the sedative properties (for the most part) sleeping is very difficult. I usually get only 4-5 hours, and falling asleep is a chore. Sleeping on clonazepam was much better, although not perfect.

I am fairly new here, but it seems to be my experience, as well. I've been taking lorazepam for a long time, but usually it was 0.5mg, 3-4 days a week with some occasional doses for stressful events. But it wasn't until late nov/early dec 2014 that I started experiencing a lot of stress in my life and ended up taking more. Dr. has upped the dosage to 2mg/day, and I was taking 1mg one day, 1.5mg another day, 2.4 mg another day. In the beginning, it was really helpful (or so I thought), but I was taking it every day on as needed basis (very bad idea) in diff. increments (0.25 here, 0.5 there, 1 there). I was trying to be prudent and was cutting down to 0.25 and trying to keep the dose low. But, I found myself on 2.5mg/day.

It doesn't to much for anxiety any more, and the sedation has gotten less pronounced. But, I got to the point where I have to dose it at equal intervals, as I was getting interdose withdrawals. at the end of the dose. Last week, I tried a valium crossover (psychiatrist recommendation), and thought I was doing really good, as V was making me calmer and reducing my BP and pulse. So, the interdose wd symptoms got masked by valium, and started stretching doses of lorazepam, little by little.

Well, the way I did it turned out to be a big mistake. While valium was lowering my BP and HR, it gave me a false sense of security, so I dropped more lorezepam than I should have. And then, early this morning, I get those interdose wd tremors, which are usually a prelude to BP spike. But, my BP was looking good, so I thought I was safe.

Well, around 3pm today, an hour before the next 0.5 dose, I ended up getting the tremors again. Then, they got really strong, and I felt I might collapse or something. Then I felt a rush of blood to my head and realized immediately what's going on. I took a 0.5, which helped a bit, but not enough. Took another 0.5, same thing. Finally had to add the third 0.5 dose, and was finally ok. Scary.

I looked at my log and realized that I was dropping loraz quicker than I was adding valium, so that 1mg loraz deficit hit me big time.

So, after only 2 1/2 months of increased loraz usage, I am in awe by just how potent this pill is. It's so short lasting, so you end up dosing 4-5 times a day if you get too hoked. It's all about having as even concentration of it in the blood, as its half-life is 10-20 hours (I think). I'd recommend spacing out your dosages like clockwork, and see what is the minimum amt you can get by without pushing it. If you start feeling tremors, take the dose. If you've gotten dependent and have been taking it daily, then your body controls the clock, and it will tell you when it needs the next dose. If you haven't been taking it every day, then consider yourself lucky. Hope this helps.

When I tapered ativan, if I'd had gotten "only 4-5 hours" of sleep each night, I'd have  been celebrating in the streets. AT best,  i got that much sleep through a lot of my taper. What was even worse was that sleep QUALITY was nonexistent. It was as if i wasnt even sleeping, but in some sort of stupor or trance.  Most, but not all, folks get the rebound insomnia pretty bad. If you want to increase sleep quantity, there are some meds each of which has pros/cons. Youll get through this. Just keep on tapering, at some point it will just be a memory.