Tapering off Ativan Support Thread

[Ti...]

Judy - that's so great!!! All of these people having such great success with switching to liquid is really giving me the courage I need to switch too. I have a doc appt next week, no use putting it off any longer  :smitten:

Laser - hi Buddy  :smitten:

Rriver - I'm not low enough yet to be of any help, but I know Saga will check in when she's done work and she had a similar situation which is why she decided to jump at .09mg. I read something very interesting that Juliea posted somewhere (wish I could find it) about the lower doses created more confusion in the CNS. It was in relation to someone wondering if they should jump at a very low dose because they felt as though they were already going through acute. Sorry I couldn't be of more help  :smitten:

Hi!

Just wondering, has anyone gone through an acute phase when they got to a low dose?  :sick:

I've been feeling GREAT for 5 months and I was stable for most of this taper since last November.

Last month, when I got to .05, I slowed down. I held for a week. Then tapered down to .04 over 1 week, then held for a week, etc. Then 5 days after a reached .03 mg, all hell broke loose. This is the worst I've felt since at the beginning of my taper when I dropped .25 mg all at once (not knowing any better).

Anyway, just wondering what's up. Hoping to hear from people who've taped off or at least reached a low dose (below .10 mg) and what your experiences have been.

Thanks!!!

Rriver  :smitten:

Hi Rriver , How wonderful you've felt great for the last 5 months...fantastic news! I'm sorry you've hit a bump right now...I felt I hit acute at .19...Kiddo is right...I did choose to jump early and I've never regretted that decision, but everyone is different on how they choose to taper...I hope this is just a minor wave for you since you've felt well until now...you're almost there! Way to go  :smitten:

Hi!

Just wondering, has anyone gone through an acute phase when they got to a low dose?  :sick:

I've been feeling GREAT for 5 months and I was stable for most of this taper since last November.

Last month, when I got to .05, I slowed down. I held for a week. Then tapered down to .04 over 1 week, then held for a week, etc. Then 5 days after a reached .03 mg, all hell broke loose. This is the worst I've felt since at the beginning of my taper when I dropped .25 mg all at once (not knowing any better).

Anyway, just wondering what's up. Hoping to hear from people who've taped off or at least reached a low dose (below .10 mg) and what your experiences have been.

Thanks!!!

Hi Rriver , How wonderful you've felt great for the last 5 months...fantastic news! I'm sorry you've hit a bump right now...I felt I hit acute at .19...Kiddo is right...I did choose to jump early and I've never regretted that decision, but everyone is different on how they choose to taper...I hope this is just a minor wave for you since you've felt well until now...you're almost there! Way to go  :smitten:

Maybe that's why I felt so fucked up at 0.18

Cosmic - that's what I've been delicately trying to tell you.

Well if that were the case why wouldn't I just jump from here? Obviously I wouldn't but what the hell would be the point in Tapering from this point on.

If that were the case then hopefully I'd start feeling better rather than worse? "what a bizarre game were playing!

Hi!

Thanks!!!

See Cosmic, we are all different...I had someone advise me to not mess around with the lower doses...I have total faith in everything he said...his argument was the thread Kiddo was referencing about them messing you up just enough...no idea where that thread was either...once I pushed myself into acute,  I made that drop to .09 for a day or two then jumped...the mental part of this is huge though...I can't speak for others or advise them...I feared the psychological part of jumping and that was no issue whatsoever...but we all have to find our own way...my jump was anticlimactic...no different than .19 essentially...

Hi!

Thanks!!!

See Cosmic, we are all different...I had someone advise me to not mess around with the lower doses...I have total faith in everything he said...his argument was the thread Kiddo was referencing about them messing you up just enough...no idea where that thread was either...once I pushed myself into acute,  I made that drop to .09 for a day or two then jumped...the mental part of this is huge though...I can't speak for others or advise them...I feared the psychological part of jumping and that was no issue whatsoever...but we all have to find our own way...my jump was anticlimactic...no different than .19 essentially...

What exactly do you mean, not to mess with the lower doses?

Hi!

Thanks!!!

Essentially I was so conflicted about the end of my taper...I planned to take it longer than I did...I was beginning to question everything and doubt myself...I felt stuck and was beginning to panic...he was saying don't drag it out...get off if you believe you're in acute it won't be worse...he was right...see I believe it's all a matter of interpretation and so many other factors...almost impossible to make any generalizations...all I can say is what worked for me...I can see if you've been great then hit a bump where you wouldn't believe getting off would be right...I feared  getting stuck...it was psychological at that point...its all strange stuff for sure...the mind games etc are something else...so I err on the side of caution mostly in my advice...but the reality for me was getting off was the key...see what I'm saying...

Hi!

Thanks!!!

Essentially I was so conflicted about the end of my taper...I planned to take it longer than I did...I was beginning to question everything and doubt myself...I felt stuck and was beginning to panic...he was saying don't drag it out...get off if you believe you're in acute it won't be worse...he was right...see I believe it's all a matter of interpretation and so many other factors...almost impossible to make any generalizations...all I can say is what worked for me...I can see if you've been great then hit a bump where you wouldn't believe getting off would be right...I feared  getting stuck...it was psychological at that point...its all strange stuff for sure...the mind games etc are something else...so I err on the side of caution mostly in my advice...but the reality for me was getting off was the key...see what I'm saying...

So you think a lot of it has to do with placebo and such? All this benzo shit is giving me a headache. I feel the same as you felt. But the lower doses being "confusing"  is more of a psychological rather than actual biochemical thing. So in actuality it can't actually hurt to go all the way down... I assume.

Hi!

Thanks!!!

So you think a lot of it has to do with placebo and such? All this benzo shit is giving me a headache. I feel the same as you felt. But the lower doses being "confusing"  is more of a psychological rather than actual biochemical thing. So in actuality it can't actually hurt to go all the way down... I assume.

I wouldn't say placebo effect necessarily...I'd say there's a ton of psychological stuff happening but for me I felt the little  bit of benzo was just enough to reek havoc with my CNS...that's my experience...I felt different when I jumped...there was a definite difference I can only attribute to the tiny bit of benzo doing harm rather than good at that point...that was my experience...I stand by it though...

Hi!

Thanks!!!

I wouldn't say placebo effect necessarily...I'd say there's a ton of psychological stuff happening but for me I felt the little  bit of benzo was just enough to reek havoc with my CNS...that's my experience...I felt different when I jumped...there was a definite difference I can only attribute to the tiny bit of benzo doing harm rather than good at that point...that was my experience...I stand by it though...

What about all those that spend months Tapering off the last bit of drug that come off relatively unharmed? I mean ideally that was my goal. To take my sweet ass fkn time for the last remainder and hope that it gives my cns sufficient time to heal so I don't go into acute all beat up.

I fucking wish there was a strict guideline that everyone had to follow so this is not so much of a guessing game.

Hi everybody, i'm currently struggling with a lot of insomnia. having no more than 4h30mins of sleep during these last 6 days. today 3hours 50. Feels extremely tired, and weak, have difficulty breathing, chest pain. Teeths that hurts badly and joints , tendons pains among a lot of other symptoms.

I stabilise to 0,25mg of ATivan (one single dose at night one hour before bed). 3 days stable, and holding but the situation is getting worse or at least does not evolve in a positive way.

My question is what should I do? I was planning on coming off 1st october but if i could feel ok and sleep sth like 6 to 7 hours / night I would glady take more time tapering and do it properly.

Should I hold longer this dose ? Should I split the dose in multiple doses to help me with the sleep. Or 2 doses One at 9 pm and the other at 3/4am to get back to sleep? Should I up the dose by adding a mid-night dose (3 am) like 1st dose 25mg / 2nd dose 15mg . Or 20mg / 15mg. Or else ?

Does anybody had good result with only a single dose Ativan and slept well. or Bi-dose?

Any help would be more than welcome <3 !

Hi Nolan, sorry you're struggling a bit here..oh my advice to Native was about contacting Birdman. Frankly I can't think of anyone more qualified to give advice than her...I hope he does contact her.

I would keep the single dose if that's how you always used it in my opinion there no reason to change. I hear you about the sleep...boy have my opinions changed once insomnia hit me post jump! I was in a bad way once that hit and I was willing to try anything to get sleep. I've used melatonin, Benadryl and Unisom to get sleep. I try rotating them and I'm not concerned about dependence right now. I understand your concerns...

My advice would be to hold...hope the sxs straighten out...you could always slow up the taper and see if it resolves if it's too much to handle. You've done a fairly aggressive taper given your history. Everything you're describing are w/d sxs...lack of sleep made it far worse I thought and contributed to how bad I felt. I really want you to have success this time...take your time with the taper  :smitten:

Thank you Saga :smitten: ! I think I will hold to this dose, but I had zero sleep tonight, it's 3;45am in France. And I have to work with my father today  :'( ! I think I will hold this dose for two weeks or until I feel that I can sleep 5/6 hours on a regular basis. then i will taper slowly.

I just don't understand how people are able to sleep 8 to 9 hours / night. Do they take another dose mid night an go to sleep ?

The best thing that could happen to me would be the opportunity to cold turkey and be on my own for 6 to 8 months. Not helping my father for these last 2 months of work. I just hate him for that. It was bearable in April 2014 at 2 months off Ativan (when i wasn't doing strenuous activities) and in september it would have been 6/7months without benzo -_-

Hi everybody, i'm currently struggling with a lot of insomnia. having no more than 4h30mins of sleep during these last 6 days. today 3hours 50. Feels extremely tired, and weak, have difficulty breathing, chest pain. Teeths that hurts badly and joints , tendons pains among a lot of other symptoms.

I stabilise to 0,25mg of ATivan (one single dose at night one hour before bed). 3 days stable, and holding but the situation is getting worse or at least does not evolve in a positive way.

My question is what should I do? I was planning on coming off 1st october but if i could feel ok and sleep sth like 6 to 7 hours / night I would glady take more time tapering and do it properly.

Should I hold longer this dose ? Should I split the dose in multiple doses to help me with the sleep. Or 2 doses One at 9 pm and the other at 3/4am to get back to sleep? Should I up the dose by adding a mid-night dose (3 am) like 1st dose 25mg / 2nd dose 15mg . Or 20mg / 15mg. Or else ?

Does anybody had good result with only a single dose Ativan and slept well. or Bi-dose?

Hi Nolan, sorry you're struggling a bit here..oh my advice to Native was about contacting Birdman. Frankly I can't think of anyone more qualified to give advice than her...I hope he does contact her.

I would keep the single dose if that's how you always used it in my opinion there no reason to change. I hear you about the sleep...boy have my opinions changed once insomnia hit me post jump! I was in a bad way once that hit and I was willing to try anything to get sleep. I've used melatonin, Benadryl and Unisom to get sleep. I try rotating them and I'm not concerned about dependence right now. I understand your concerns...

My advice would be to hold...hope the sxs straighten out...you could always slow up the taper and see if it resolves if it's too much to handle. You've done a fairly aggressive taper given your history. Everything you're describing are w/d sxs...lack of sleep made it far worse I thought and contributed to how bad I felt. I really want you to have success this time...take your time with the taper  :smitten:

Thank you Saga :smitten: ! I think I will hold to this dose, but I had zero sleep tonight, it's 3;45am in France. And I have to work with my father today  :'( ! I think I will hold this dose for two weeks or until I feel that I can sleep 5/6 hours on a regular basis. then i will taper slowly.

I just don't understand how people are able to sleep 8 to 9 hours / night. Do they take another dose mid night an go to sleep ?

The best thing that could happen to me would be the opportunity to cold turkey and be on my own for 6 to 8 months. Not helping my father for these last 2 months of work. I just hate him for that. It was bearable in April 2014 at 2 months off Ativan (when i wasn't doing strenuous activities) and in september it would have been 6/7months without benzo -_-

I'm sorry you're still awake Nolan...that's stinks...I was half crazy when I didn't sleep...so yeah, try slowing the taper down and see if it helps...the last thing I want is for you to go back on this poison...don't look back at where you might have been...it doesn't help mentally, ok? See where you want to be and keep your eyes ahead...it's important not to lose focus...you are still winning the battle...maybe try something for sleep if it doesn't get better in a day or two...it's worth a try...I also found I'd start to tense up at night anticipating no sleep which also fed into the insomnia...I can't answer about dosing in the middle of the night...never did that myself...hope you can manage to catch a few hours tonight...don't lose hope...regroup and change it up...you're doing great  :smitten:

Nolan - I would really caution you against adding another dose in the night. That would mean you either have to go up in dose or take away from your evening dose. Either one would be dicey, IMO. Did you get a chance to read up on Doxy or Unisom. Maybe you could try that to get some sleep when you haven't had much? Sorry this sucks for you right now.

I'm sorry you're still awake Nolan...that's stinks...I was half crazy when I didn't sleep...so yeah, try slowing the taper down and see if it helps...the last thing I want is for you to go back on this poison...don't look back at where you might have been...it doesn't help mentally, ok? See where you want to be and keep your eyes ahead...it's important not to lose focus...you are still winning the battle...maybe try something for sleep if it doesn't get better in a day or two...it's worth a try...I also found I'd start to tense up at night anticipating no sleep which also fed into the insomnia...I can't answer about dosing in the middle of the night...never did that myself...hope you can manage to catch a few hours tonight...don't lose hope...regroup and change it up...you're doing great  :smitten:

Saga I will just hold the dose and after that never this poison again. But I think i did not sleep because the work today was too physical for me 8 hours, lifting metallic bars adjusting stuff with my father. My muscle , joints and bones (?) hurt right now. I think that it was just too overwhelming for my CNS. :(

I'm really considering getting far away from my parents during withdrawal. Because my father has no "compassion" nor understanding for what i leave. Even if I tried to explain him with the Ashton manuel, and even if he sees what i'm going through.

Kiddo I read about Benadryl etc and I "learn" that it can enhance the effects of withdrawal. among other drugs. So that scared me a little.  I don't want to be addict to another drug :( . And you're right I won't dose during the night cause it would imply that i up dose (bad) or i cut my only dose into two dose. And my only dose isn't potent enough to make me sleep when i'm under such circumstances . Otherwise it apparently give me 4 hours of sleep on average (this last 6 days).

Hi,

I'm on 6 mgs. Of ativan and i dont know whether to taper from ativan or switch to valium.  I have complete mèmory loss from ativan and im so scared.  I don't know whether to switch to another benzo that is longer acting but i would like to deal with the same benzo that i've been taking.  I have to dose 1 mg. every 4 hours due to tolerance.  How would i go about slowly tapering from ativan when my body is already going through withdrawals 2 hours before the next dose?

Please help.

God bless you,

Deborah

Thank you for the replies to my question!

I'm a little confused now. When I first logged on here several people said to get as close to 0 mgs as possible before you jump.

Now I'm hearing it might be just as well to jump if you think you are already in the acute w/d phase?

I'm still planning to hold here at .03 mg for now and think this through. This is the worst wave I've had since 1 year ago when I dropped .25 mg all at once. UGH!  :sick: Could this be the acute phase? If so, how long does it usually last?

Thanks again!!!

I'm a little confused now. When I first logged on here several people said to get as close to 0 mgs as possible before you jump.

Now I'm hearing it might be just as well to jump if you think you are already in the acute w/d phase?

I'm still planning to hold here at .03 mg for now and think this through. This is the worst wave I've had since 1 year ago when I dropped .25 mg all at once. UGH!  :sick: Could this be the acute phase? If so, how long does it usually last?

Thanks again!!!

Rriver, are you coming out of it?

I'm still planning to hold here at .03 mg for now and think this through. This is the worst wave I've had since 1 year ago when I dropped .25 mg all at once. UGH!  :sick: Could this be the acute phase? I dont think there is any value in labeling the wave you are in now as "acute" or anything else. Its a wave, thats it. Putting a label on it will not make any difference in your healing trajectory. If so, how long does it usually last? There is no usual. Every wave and everybody is different. It could end today for you, or not maybe. Even the so-called "post-acute" period is immensely variable from person to person.

Thanks again!!!

Rriver, you have done a great slow and carefull taper. As you know, I jumped at 0.02mg ativan, for me, taking it any lower seemed pointless. Actually, I felt like jumping at 0.04mg but I added in what I thought would be a safety cushion, by going one drop lower to 0.02mg. I would say, that when your wave ends and you are feeling good again, just jump, get this horrible ride in your rear view mirror. I really dont think your post-wd recovery is going to be vastly different if you jump from 0.03 or 0.02 mg. You will decide when to jump and when you do we will cheer and support you!  :)

Hi all, Just checking in. Had a nice overnight stay in Niagara on the lake with some family. A little bit of planning involved with travelling with the compounded liquided: Took in in a cooler bag with some ice packs in it and checked ahead to ensure the hotel room had a little fridge.

Kiddo: Sending you best wishes if you do proceed to go ahead with the liquid . I'm sure you've seen these tips already, but I was informed to shake bottle well ( even though it's a solution) . Also , put clear tape on the syringe since when I rinsed it some of the numbers rinsed off. Pharmacy gave me a back up one .  Thanks for your ongoing support

Warrior: Thanks for your words of encouragement . Sending you healing thoughts for your progress

Saga and Laser: Hi ! Thanks for always providing support and tips for us newbies!

Cosmic: Hang in there buddy!

Rriver: You've made amazing progress. Wishing you success in the rest of your journey.

Best wishes to anyone else I forgot to mention: Healing thoughts !

Rriver - I agree completely with Laser. My feeling is that at .03mg it's time to jump. I plan on jumping from that spot, unless I hit acute sooner. I feel like you are already there. You've done a wonderful, careful, slow taper....don't let the fear of "jumping" hold you back. As far as how long acute lasts....nobody knows. Saga got through it in less than 60 days, Drew28 a of couple weeks. It's such an individual process. I'm sorry you are struggling. It will get better, I believe that  :smitten:

Judy - thank you for the update and the tips and glad you had a nice time at Niagara-on-the-lake.  :smitten:

Snow4Fun - I'm sorry you are struggling. IMO, I would at least try to taper from Ativan before considering a c/o to Valium. The dose you are on is quite high and quite likely the reason for many of your symptoms. I think you will notice them lightening as you get lower in dose. At your dose I would aim for a 10% reduction every 7-10 days if your body allows for it. I was also feeling a lot of interdose withdrawal (not to be confused with tolerance withdrawal) and I dose 5x a day and that has worked very well for me. I dose at: 7am - 11am - 230pm - 6pm - 11pm. Remember if you do decide to change your dosing times it can feel like a cut. We are here for you if you have more questions  :smitten:

Nolan - if your father is causing you that much stress, you may indeed have to do what you are suggesting. External stress can absolutely rev up symptoms. If you need a break from your family, and can find a way to make it work, then maybe you really should consider it  :smitten:

Hi,

I'm on 6 mgs. Of ativan and i dont know whether to taper from ativan or switch to valium.  I have complete mèmory loss from ativan and im so scared.  I don't know whether to switch to another benzo that is longer acting but i would like to deal with the same benzo that i've been taking.  I have to dose 1 mg. every 4 hours due to tolerance.  How would i go about slowly tapering from ativan when my body is already going through withdrawals 2 hours before the next dose?

Please help.

God bless you,

Deborah

Snow, I'm not sure if you changed your signature or where I read it, but somehow I have it in my head you've done a c/t before and /or did the detox with fluximel(sp) treatment?

I'm not sure how long it's been since you reinstated or if you've needed to go to a higher dose...regardless I understand you want advice on how to proceed with a taper...

I'd take it VERY slowly due to the history...just my opinion...interdose can be dealt with by splitting your doses even more so like Kiddo suggested if you would like to begin trying to taper the Ativan directly...I still think I'd like a little more info regardless...switching to Valium would be a solution for tolerance as well...sometimes it's very hard to know how to start...

Saga  :smitten:

Thanks again!!!

Rriver, I agree you've done a great careful taper...this doesn't necessarily mean you're in acute...more likely it's just a wave that will pass...you'll jump when you're ready! Everyone has a different plan and timeframe...I think that's why the end of tapers can be so confusing...I'm just relating my experience but my taper was not slow...by design, so I expected an acute phase! Even so I consider my acute to be over at 2 months out. I hope this wave passes quickly! :smitten:

Hi all, Just checking in. Had a nice overnight stay in Niagara on the lake with some family. A little bit of planning involved with travelling with the compounded liquided: Took in in a cooler bag with some ice packs in it and checked ahead to ensure the hotel room had a little fridge.

Kiddo: Sending you best wishes if you do proceed to go ahead with the liquid . I'm sure you've seen these tips already, but I was informed to shake bottle well ( even though it's a solution) . Also , put clear tape on the syringe since when I rinsed it some of the numbers rinsed off. Pharmacy gave me a back up one .  Thanks for your ongoing support

Warrior: Thanks for your words of encouragement . Sending you healing thoughts for your progress

Saga and Laser: Hi ! Thanks for always providing support and tips for us newbies!

Cosmic: Hang in there buddy!

Rriver: You've made amazing progress. Wishing you success in the rest of your journey.

Best wishes to anyone else I forgot to mention: Healing thoughts !

Hi Judy! I'm glad the liquid is working out for you! Happy you had a nice trip with your family! I'm glad everything's going well for you so far, that's terrific  :smitten: