Tapering off Ativan Support Thread

[Ti...]

Omni - so glad you are making progress and thank you for praying for everyone. I'm sorry you are feeling "bleh" I feel like that almost all the time. It can't last forever right? Lol. So you make your own suspension as well? That's so encouraging as I'm nervous about trying it. Thanks for the tip about the alcohol.

Nana - sounds like you are making some real progress. Way to go!! Healing is happening while we taper, I just wrote about that on my blog today.

Cosmic - I'm happy you are stabilizing and thanks for checking in. What are your plans going forward? Microtaper at .002mg per day?

0.002/day would be a dream of mine. i wish i could taper that fast but i doubt i would be able to. I have cut 0.245mg in a bit less than 120 days. That averages a bit over 0.002/day. Maybe id be able to do it without any distressing symptoms but i do not want to take the chance. Im not fucking with this drug anymore. The thing that's unfortunate about cutting too fast is that now i know exactly what this drug can do to me. Im very fearful of going back to that place. It has aggravated a PTSD that i didnt even know i had. Ive discussed with SG57 on how to go about the remainder of my taper and im going to take it like a legitimate daily microtaper. In the sense that my goal is to minimize sxs even if its long and drawn out. I don't expect to be off the drug anytime soon unfortunately. Im going to start off at 0.0005/day and build up from there, until i find that point where sxs are manageable and i can have decent quality of life. I am hoping to get to around 0.001/day but well see what happens. I don't believe in cutting faster than your CNS can handle, and for me that means anything that "really" takes away from your day to day living. Even if it means youre off the drug faster, your acute period will be longer and it calls for a greater chance to reinstate. I want to do this once and i want to do it right.

Now that im feeling a bit better i really realize how this drug fucks me up. I thought a lot of it was actually myself. The hypochondria, the suicidal depression, the ocd and intrusive thoughts, the derealization, the agoraphobia, the retarded anxiety, all of that crap.

I just hope it all works out.

Green - for crying out loud.....UPDATE YOUR SIGNATURE  >:D.

So glad you are still doing well. That's for scaring off all my potential prospects. Jerk  :laugh:

My signature is updated. Get your glasses on grandma!!!

I'd say after seeing the recent artwork kiddo posted (done by her husband) there aint nothin grandma about this lady.  :-*

Thanks for the replies.  I put some more information below, but how can you summarize so much history with a benzo.  What a terrible effect it's had in my life.  And of course I've tried many anti-depressants, but never for long, thank god, the effects have always been awful.

I'm really upset that I took this herb ashwagandha, hoping it would strengthen me through the taper.  It's made everything worse. 

I've been at 1/4 of a .5 for 4 weeks holding there, but I really want to get off in September, so what I want to do is to go to 1/5 of a pill for a couple of weeks and then stop.  Maybe not the best way to taper, but I can't see doing anything else at this point....

You're all killing me here this morning  :laugh: nothing grandma about Kiddo,that's for sure! I'm the one going to be an unexpected grandma and I'm not used to that idea at all...anyway moving on...Laser, I'm curious if you're able to have any alcohol yet? I remember reading a post some time ago where you said it was a problem. I'm 0 for 3 in my attempts to enjoy even half a beer...just not worth it for the after effects...so I wondered if that's improved for you?

Omni , feeling bleh is pretty much normal...in fact bleh is a whole lot better than bad...so if that's the worst, I'd say you're doing ok, and I hope it stays that way!

Green, very nice news...an uneventful taper is wonderful!

Nana, you're doing great! Lots of living happening for you now! I'll bet the puppies are keeping you busy too!

Cosmic, you have a plan and it sounds good! I shudder when I even hear the word reinstate...I can't imagine...but I'm glad you realize this is the drug, not you!

Hope everyone else in taper land is doing well  :smitten:

Saga

Thanks for the replies.  I put some more information below, but how can you summarize so much history with a benzo.  What a terrible effect it's had in my life.  And of course I've tried many anti-depressants, but never for long, thank god, the effects have always been awful.

I'm really upset that I took this herb ashwagandha, hoping it would strengthen me through the taper.  It's made everything worse. 

I've been at 1/4 of a .5 for 4 weeks holding there, but I really want to get off in September, so what I want to do is to go to 1/5 of a pill for a couple of weeks and then stop.  Maybe not the best way to taper, but I can't see doing anything else at this point....

Boy do I understand about the long term effects Charlotte...really, how do you write a history about it...but you've cleared up the questions about the highest amount...I never had any success with the ADs either...on and off about 10 over the last 25 years with no positives  whatsoever and a lot of bad instead...

I know nothing about the supplement you've taken. I hope it leaves your system quickly. The way you end your taper is up to you...we all do it different ways. I was simply trying to say there are several ways you can alter the end of your taper if you weren't aware as a new member. It's all your decision in the end... :smitten:

Saga

Thank you so much for your response.  I just saw your other reply, somehow missed it before.  You've been there I can see...

What was it like to actually end your taper?

I have been just eyeballing it, surely not very accurate, but I don't know any other method. Plus I'm only taking it once at night.  I think I kind have to do it like this, even though I can see it wasn't the best way.  I think with help here I can do it.

Thank you so much for your response.  I just saw your other reply, somehow missed it before.  You've been there I can see...

What was it like to actually end your taper?

I have been just eyeballing it, surely not very accurate, but I don't know any other method. Plus I'm only taking it once at night.  I think I kind have to do it like this, even though I can see it wasn't the best way.  I think with help here I can do it.

Charlotte it was the best feeling in the world! Really it was...I know myself pretty well and I also feel fairly strong mentally. There was no way a pill was ever going to win...I was so sick for so many years...in tolerance for almost the entire time without knowing. I had a lot of tapering options but I'm glad I stayed with a direct taper. This is the hardest thing I've ever done, but I wouldn't change a thing... I had a bit of increased sxs post jump but nothing I couldn't handle.

Tapers are so individual, we can only relate our experience and we all have our own decisions to make on how to do it. I'm still early days off, 66 today...but I'd say Ive been out of acute for a week. I still have more sxs than most, but that's due to my taper choice. I was fully aware. Just being off the drug is huge for me.

Finish the taper your way...it's all up to you...don't lose confidence in yourself...we will be here to help, you're right :smitten:

Saga

Hi all, just checking in. Things are going pretty well. so far . I reduced by another 5% yesterday, so am waiting to see how that works for me. Just have a question re: dosing times . Kiddo I know you said you dose 5 times per day? I am having more of an issue with sleep . P-doc was really pushing for me to take Trazadone but it gives me back pain and the sleep is sporadic, and I hate having to take another med.So I am just trying to sleep with the portion of my Ativan . Since I often wake up between 2-3am and can't get back to sleep, I am wondering if this schedule makes sense: 7.30a.m. ( .12mg)12.30: (.12mg)5.15p.m: ( .14mg) 10.15pm: (.20mg) 2.30a.m: .20mg . ? Hope everyone else is doing well. Sending healing thoughts and prayers to you all.

Hi all, just checking in. Things are going pretty well. so far . I reduced by another 5% yesterday, so am waiting to see how that works for me. Just have a question re: dosing times . Kiddo I know you said you dose 5 times per day? I am having more of an issue with sleep . P-doc was really pushing for me to take Trazadone but it gives me back pain and the sleep is sporadic, and I hate having to take another med.So I am just trying to sleep with the portion of my Ativan . Since I often wake up between 2-3am and can't get back to sleep, I am wondering if this schedule makes sense: 7.30a.m. ( .12mg)12.30: (.12mg)5.15p.m: ( .14mg) 10.15pm: (.20mg) 2.30a.m: .20mg . ? Hope everyone else is doing well. Sending healing thoughts and prayers to you all.

Hi Judy, I'm sure Kiddo will answer as well...that plan would work, my question is what to do if it DOES work? Then you're deliberately waking yourself to dose...are you willing to continue doing that for the rest of your taper? I feel for you with the sleep issue. That was not a problem during my taper but it has been post jump. I alternate between using Benadryl and Unisom tablets...but if you're comfortable altering your dosing in order to sleep, you should be fine in my opinion :smitten:

Saga

Hi Judy,

The Adrenal Cocktail has helped me with sleep. Mix together 1/2 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt, 1 teaspoon cream of tartar and 1/2 cup orange juice (or other fruit juice). You can look this up online if you're wondering how it works. Basically, it helps prevent morning cortisol surges.

Of course, don't try this if you can't handle lots of sugar, salt and potassium.

It's worked for me and others here.

Rriver  :smitten:

Thanks for the replies. Saga , I have tried the Benadryl and doesn't help me sleep . Unisom does but it ,as well as the Trazadone seems to increase my tinnitus whenever I use them. I took 1mg of Melatonin last night and some Magnisium but was still wide awake at 2.00a.m. Hopefully when my body adjusts to the recent increase in my Zoloft , I'll start sleeping better. I know a lot of people sleep terribly throughout their taper and I'm concerned that as I continue to taper that it may worsen my sleep more. So you had no problems with sleep during your taper and required no sleep aids?

Wow!!! This thread is lively today. Glad to see everyone is mostly surviving.

Judy - I agree with Saga, it would be a shame to wake yourself up for that dose at 2am if you start sleeping again....but if it helps you sleep, that's ok too. I used to take a 4am dose and got bored of that pretty quickly (3 months) as I found it more disruptive. Remember, if you do change your dose times it can feel like a cut for some people so you may want to hold your dose for a few days. You are making great progress. How is the liquid - still good?

Charlotte - I'm glad you have Saga to relate to. Your taper plan sounds good to me. Please keep us posted on your progress!

Wow!!! This thread is lively today. Glad to see everyone is mostly surviving.

Judy - I agree with Saga, it would be a shame to wake yourself up for that dose at 2am if you start sleeping again....but if it helps you sleep, that's ok too. I used to take a 4am dose and got bored of that pretty quickly (3 months) as I found it more disruptive. Remember, if you do change your dose times it can feel like a cut for some people so you may want to hold your dose for a few days. You are making great progress. How is the liquid - still good?

Charlotte - I'm glad you have Saga to relate to. Your taper plan sounds good to me. Please keep us posted on your progress!

Thanks Kiddo, Yes it doesn't sound like a feasible plan for the long term, so I might not try it. The liquid seems to be working out well so far .

Thanks for the replies. Saga , I have tried the Benadryl and doesn't help me sleep . Unisom does but it ,as well as the Trazadone seems to increase my tinnitus whenever I use them. I took 1mg of Melatonin last night and some Magnisium but was still wide awake at 2.00a.m. Hopefully when my body adjusts to the recent increase in my Zoloft , I'll start sleeping better. I know a lot of people sleep terribly throughout their taper and I'm concerned that as I continue to taper that it may worsen my sleep more. So you had no problems with sleep during your taper and required no sleep aids?

Judy I was VERY lucky during my taper...I dreaded the insomnia since many people experience sleep issues. I had a few random nights that were a problem...that's it. Post jump totally different...now I get it...I think I'd try anything to get sleep and worry about tapering off later...I hope the sleep resolves for you but I know it's been a problem from the start.

• 2 weeks later...
Wow! Things have been slow on here. Can't believe I was the last one to post on Aug. 30th. How is everyone doing? I've been faring pretty well so far with the compounded liquid. But it's early days in my taper, but am thinking positive. Sending you all healing thoughts and prayers.

Hi Judy - that's great about the liquid!!! I'm glad you are faring well, that is alot better than face down in the mud. What amount are you dropping daily?

How is everyone else?

Hi Judy - that's great about the liquid!!! I'm glad you are faring well, that is alot better than face down in the mud. What amount are you dropping daily?

How is everyone else?

Thanks Kiddo. I haven't been doing daily cuts (Maybe I will find I need to later) I've done two 5% weekly cuts since starting the liquid . I had it changed to 0.5mg/ml  for this latest bottle got . The lowest notch on the this syringe is .01 ml =.05mg. I think people that are doing smaller daily cuts must have a different concentration of liquid and different syringe . I'll have  to explore that if the cut and hold proves to be difficult at some point. Are you still considering the switch to liquid? It's saved my sanity from dealing with that darn scalle and weighing pills. Have a great day.

How is everyone else?

Thanks Kiddo. I haven't been doing daily cuts (Maybe I will find I need to later) I've done two 5% weekly cuts since starting the liquid . I had it changed to 0.5mg/ml  for this latest bottle got . The lowest notch on the this syringe is .01 ml =.05mg. I think people that are doing smaller daily cuts must have a different concentration of liquid and different syringe . I'll have  to explore that if the cut and hold proves to be difficult at some point. Are you still considering the switch to liquid? It's saved my sanity from dealing with that darn scalle and weighing pills. Have a great day.

Hi Judy:

Glad to hear things are going well for you. Please keep in mind that 0.01 ml = 0.005 mg ativan using your 0.5mg/ml liquid ativan (not 0.05 mg as you indicated above). This means you can go down really really low in dose (e.g. 0.005mg) if you wanted to.

laser

How is everyone else?

Hi Judy:

Glad to hear things are going well for you. Please keep in mind that 0.01 ml = 0.005 mg ativan using your 0.5mg/ml liquid ativan (not 0.05 mg as you indicated above). This means you can go down really really low in dose (e.g. 0.005mg) if you wanted to.

laser

Thanks Laser, Sorry I made a typo ! I meant to put .005 instead of .05 .

Hi Sameo,

Sorry you find yourself here. I'm also sorry to see the high doses of benzo's you've been on. Was that a prescribed dose? If so, my option is that you have a very irresponsible doctor.

I'm assuming you are wanting to taper the Ativan now. How are you feeling symptom wise? Are you symptomatic? Or do you feel stable? How have you been cutting your doses?

The general rule here is 5-10% reduction every 7-10 days. Some can go faster, some need to go slower. Your body will let you know what category you are in.

If you could give us a little more info we'd be happy to help and let you know what has worked and not worked for us.

:)