Tapering off Ativan Support Thread

[Ti...]

Saga,

Thank you!  Yes, I did the flumazenil treatment on June 18th.  I dose 1 mg. every 4 hours and still have withdrawals.  It's insane.  Don't know what to do any,ore.

Hopeless

Saga,

Thank you!  Yes, I did the flumazenil treatment on June 18th.  I dose 1 mg. every 4 hours and still have withdrawals.  It's insane.  Don't know what to do any,ore.

Hopeless

Hi Snow!

Your history is a VERY important piece of the puzzle for anyone looking at your signature. I believe I saw a thread about detox where you posted about your experience. Please consider changing your signature for anyone wanting to offer advice to you regarding a taper.

Nothing is ever hopeless and I'm sorry your feel this way ...tapering off these drugs is not at all easy but nothing and no one should feel it is truly hopeless. I'm sorry the detox didn't work. Your CNS may still be fragile.

Still, I have some thoughts regarding a taper given your history. I believe if you are back on the same dose of Ativan after reinstating perhaps it is not working as effectively as before your detox. For that reason and the interdose you are experiencing maybe doing a crossover to Valium would be your best option? Your CNS is probably very fragile at this point, I would consider doing a very careful step wise crossover and then an extremely slow taper from the Valium, this is my opinion.

I wish you the best with your decision but please don't feel as though this is hopeless... :smitten:

Saga

Good Morning to Everyone,  HELP PLEASE !!!!!

Ever since I cut by 1/16th mg off my 6am dose 13 days ago.  I got more anxiety , uneasy feelings ,shakey and  breathing issues have started  around 10-10:30 am . My next dose is at 11:30am.  I never really noticed this happening till I cut the morning dose this time . Which  is 3rd time cutting that dose.  Later in the day I feel better.

Why am I eating so much ? I can't stop ! Its nuts !

I don't understand why this is happening to me  ?  I want to cut with Beth tomorrow as buddies. I would be cutting my bedtime dose by 1/16 th mg .      I don't know if the morning will ever get better for me?  Morning is my worse time. Before 6 am dose  I'm awake at 2-3-4 am, can not sleep.

Saga I do get up now it does make me feel better . Thank you for the advice !

Any ideas on what is going on ??? Do I hold and hope it gets better ?  I just have not experienced a cut this  weird . 

I've been  cutting my morning and bedtime doses to catch up with my lunch and supper doses to even things out better. Kiddo taught me about that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated  !  Thank you so much for being my BBs. :smitten:

Wishing all calmness and peace of mind, :smitten:

Warrior

Saga,

Thank you so very much you are very much appreciated!

God bless you And yours,

Deborah

Thanks Snow, you too! I hope you find the answers you're looking for and the courage to begin  :smitten:

Good Morning to Everyone,  HELP PLEASE !!!!!

Ever since I cut by 1/16th mg off my 6am dose 13 days ago.  I got more anxiety , uneasy feelings ,shakey and  breathing issues have started  around 10-10:30 am . My next dose is at 11:30am.  I never really noticed this happening till I cut the morning dose this time . Which  is 3rd time cutting that dose.  Later in the day I feel better.

Why am I eating so much ? I can't stop ! Its nuts !

I don't understand why this is happening to me  ?  I want to cut with Beth tomorrow as buddies. I would be cutting my bedtime dose by 1/16 th mg .      I don't know if the morning will ever get better for me?  Morning is my worse time. Before 6 am dose  I'm awake at 2-3-4 am, can not sleep.

Saga I do get up now it does make me feel better . Thank you for the advice !

Any ideas on what is going on ??? Do I hold and hope it gets better ?  I just have not experienced a cut this  weird . 

I've been  cutting my morning and bedtime doses to catch up with my lunch and supper doses to even things out better. Kiddo taught me about that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated  !  Thank you so much for being my BBs. :smitten:

Wishing all calmness and peace of mind, :smitten:

Warrior

Oh warrior I'm sorry... New sxs seem to come and go at will...maybe it's due to the last cut or simply getting a little lower in your taper and it's a coincidence...you can simply hold for longer and hope they resolve themselves with a little more time...I know you would like to be with Beth on the same schedule but honestly that's almost impossible since we all go at our own rate...saying that, I did find some cuts were simply easier than others and less symptomatic.

The eating...idk...some people eat more, some less...I believe it's a stress response myself...mornings are quite difficult for the majority of the board...I'm the opposite where mornings are my best. I'm sorry you're still waking so early. Yes, I found getting up to be the easiest solution when it happened as well.

I'm sorry I'm not able to give you a solid answer to your question about the cut other than to hold a bit longer and see if it resolves...tapering is very difficult at times...boy is that an understatement...but I wish you well, you are doing a great job  :smitten:

Saga

Saga,

I thought after posted. I sounded like a crazy Benzo nut saying help please ! :laugh:  I had a good laugh about that . The best part about it all , is nobody cares ! Isn't that wonderful. Where can you go and no one judges you , but on BB.

I knew in my heart that Beth  :angel: and I would not stay on the same schedule , but we will be close anyway !

I did ask some impossible questions since everyone is so different.  You did a GREAT JOB explaining your take on it all.

Your so sweet Saga !    :smitten:

To my BB'S - Courage is the power to over come your fear and move forward !

We can and will make it !

Love, Warrior :smitten:

Thank you for the replies to my question!

I'm a little confused now. When I first logged on here several people said to get as close to 0 mgs as possible before you jump.

Now I'm hearing it might be just as well to jump if you think you are already in the acute w/d phase?

I'm still planning to hold here at .03 mg for now and think this through. This is the worst wave I've had since 1 year ago when I dropped .25 mg all at once. UGH!  :sick: Could this be the acute phase? I dont think there is any value in labeling the wave you are in now as "acute" or anything else. Its a wave, thats it. Putting a label on it will not make any difference in your healing trajectory. If so, how long does it usually last? There is no usual. Every wave and everybody is different. It could end today for you, or not maybe. Even the so-called "post-acute" period is immensely variable from person to person.

Thanks again!!!

Rriver  :smitten:

Rriver, you have done a great slow and carefull taper. As you know, I jumped at 0.02mg ativan, for me, taking it any lower seemed pointless. Actually, I felt like jumping at 0.04mg but I added in what I thought would be a safety cushion, by going one drop lower to 0.02mg. I would say, that when your wave ends and you are feeling good again, just jump, get this horrible ride in your rear view mirror. I really dont think your post-wd recovery is going to be vastly different if you jump from 0.03 or 0.02 mg. You will decide when to jump and when you do we will cheer and support you!  :)

Thanks, Laser! That means a lot to me.  :)

How have you been post-jump? I recall you had a rough time at first, then you felt okay? How are you doing now?

I REALLY appreciate all the support here! Thanks also to Cosmic, Saga, Kiddo and Judy for advice and encouragement. I'm still feeling rough. Today I wasn't dizzy or sore, just VERY tired and having the worst benzo-belly since last December. Hanging in there. I survived about 3 months of this c&@! last year when I was in interdose and I tapered too fast.

Sending y'all prayers for healing,

Rriver - sorry if you answered this already but can I assume you are using a liquid to titrate? I see you drop .004mg a day.....do you make your own liquid or have it compounded by a pharmacist?

Thanks you  :)

Rriver - sorry if you answered this already but can I assume you are using a liquid to titrate? I see you drop .004mg a day.....do you make your own liquid or have it compounded by a pharmacist?

Thanks you  :)

Hi Kiddo,

I make my own. Drop a 0.5 mg pill into 50 ml of water. Stir back and forth with a syringe.

Nope. The ativan pills dissolve in water. This makes a suspension. You have to stir it vigorously and draw out your dose immediately before it settles.

Rriver - that's so great! May start that today  :thumbsup:  how are you feeling now? Are things settling down for you?

How are the rest of the taperers doing???

Thank you for the replies to my question!

I'm a little confused now. When I first logged on here several people said to get as close to 0 mgs as possible before you jump.

Now I'm hearing it might be just as well to jump if you think you are already in the acute w/d phase?

I'm still planning to hold here at .03 mg for now and think this through. This is the worst wave I've had since 1 year ago when I dropped .25 mg all at once. UGH!  :sick: Could this be the acute phase? I dont think there is any value in labeling the wave you are in now as "acute" or anything else. Its a wave, thats it. Putting a label on it will not make any difference in your healing trajectory. If so, how long does it usually last? There is no usual. Every wave and everybody is different. It could end today for you, or not maybe. Even the so-called "post-acute" period is immensely variable from person to person.

Thanks again!!!

Rriver, you have done a great slow and carefull taper. As you know, I jumped at 0.02mg ativan, for me, taking it any lower seemed pointless. Actually, I felt like jumping at 0.04mg but I added in what I thought would be a safety cushion, by going one drop lower to 0.02mg. I would say, that when your wave ends and you are feeling good again, just jump, get this horrible ride in your rear view mirror. I really dont think your post-wd recovery is going to be vastly different if you jump from 0.03 or 0.02 mg. You will decide when to jump and when you do we will cheer and support you!  :)

Thanks, Laser! That means a lot to me.  :)

How have you been post-jump? I recall you had a rough time at first, then you felt okay? How are you doing now?

Hi Rriver:

At ~8 months off ativan, I'm doing very well. The first few weeks after jumping were bad but not anything worse than during my taper. After those first few weeks, things started getting better, and have continued to improve, in an up and down kind of way, with the "downs" fading off into nothingness. At this point, sxs are very infrequent, short lasting and mild (barely noticeable). I'd say that overall, I've been in the 95-100% healed range on any given day for quite some time.  :)

Hello,

I'm new to this thread and BB.  I started tapering from .5 mg Ativan in March.  I'm in my late 60's and have been taking ativan at a low dose for 40 years (only took it continuously for the last 10 years). 

Four years ago I started being dizzy all the time (began with severe attacks of vertigo), and especially want to get off ativan to see if it will help with that.  I am exhausted by this dizziness, which has gotten worse since I started the taper, and barely functional.

I've gotten down to .125 mg now, but it started getting very difficult, and I'm not sure how to proceed.  I break up the pills and take it only once a day at night.  I tend to metabolize very slowly.  I've been very depressed, anxious, crying a lot, and physical symptoms (weight loss especially).  Insomnia is much worse.

My plan was to break the pill into  approx. fifths this week and then stop it completely the second week of September.  Since it's about equivalent to 1 mg valium, is that where people jump off doing a valium taper?  I don't want to put the whole taper at risk; on the other hand I don't want to draw it out forever either.

I'm so grateful to find this site and this thread. 

Thanks.

Hi Charlotte,

I'm glad you were able to make your way over here. I have a couple of questions that everyone will want to know before being able to advise you on how to proceed. I see from your signature that your max dose was 1.5mg - how did you taper from that down to .50mg? When was that/how long ago? Do you have a scale it are you just eye-balling your cuts?

Please know that everything your are feeling is normal for withdrawal or tolerance. My guess is that you are dealing with both. Saga will be on later and will give you some info as well, but she was on Ativan for 23 years and in tolerance and has been off now for over two months. This can be done.

I think you may need to slow down your taper or hold for a little while to try and let your CNS catch up to your cutting. Although it seems like you've gone slow and sensible it may still be too fast for you. The depression, crying, vertigo, substantial weight loss and anxiety were all things I was experiencing when I was cutting too fast.

Give us a little more information when you can and we'll help you the best we can.

Everything is going to work out  :)

Hey guys, I thought id drop in to give a little update. If not Kiddo is going to get mad at me :).

Ive been holding for quite awhile now in hopes for some relief from the symptoms i was experiencing. The last 2 months have been rather rough on me and in desperation i was hoping holding for a bit would bring about some relief.

Crossing my fingers but the difference between now is HUGE in comparison to the beginning of the month. From constant fear/anxiety, dissociation, 24/7 intrusive obsessive negative thoughts, several nighttime physical symptoms and a pretty severe depression to now just shaking,fatigue, lethargy,slight anxiety and a couple of weird head symptoms. Its such a bizarre feeling to not have these extreme thoughts plaguing me every minute of every day anymore after 2 months straight. To wake up in the morning with a clearer head and not this non stop voice in my head is a feeling so great i cannot put into words.

The last 5 days ive done things i wouldnt have imagined 3 weeks ago. Ive been trying to push myself into my uncomfortable zone in an attempt to somewhat get my life back. May sound ridiculous, but Ive spent hours in crowded areas (which was uncomfortable due to sounds/lighting), driven to places distant from my home, actually gone out to hang out with friends, gone to restaurants, so on so forth. This would have felt IMPOSSIBLE at the beginning of the month. I am HOPING that i can maintain this kind of quality of life for the rest of my taper, regardless of how long it may take.

Crossing my fingers, i hope that this is stability and not just a temporary upswing. I must also note that my high level of anhedonia has also lifted, which i attribute to those dreadful intrusive obsessive thoughts.

My psychiatrist does not want to px me compounded liquid. He is a little reluctant for me to carry out the remainder of my taper on Ativan. He wants me to switch over to Valium as soon as i can. Hopefully i can find a way to convince him to continue prescribing me Ativan for the remainder of my taper. I want to switch to liquid soon, i was just trying to stabilize first.

I hope everyone is doing well. There hasnt been much activity on this thread so im assuming youre all out and about and doing ok.

Hello,

I'm new to this thread and BB.  I started tapering from .5 mg Ativan in March.  I'm in my late 60's and have been taking ativan at a low dose for 40 years (only took it continuously for the last 10 years). 

Four years ago I started being dizzy all the time (began with severe attacks of vertigo), and especially want to get off ativan to see if it will help with that.  I am exhausted by this dizziness, which has gotten worse since I started the taper, and barely functional.

I've gotten down to .125 mg now, but it started getting very difficult, and I'm not sure how to proceed.  I break up the pills and take it only once a day at night.  I tend to metabolize very slowly.  I've been very depressed, anxious, crying a lot, and physical symptoms (weight loss especially).  Insomnia is much worse.

My plan was to break the pill into  approx. fifths this week and then stop it completely the second week of September.  Since it's about equivalent to 1 mg valium, is that where people jump off doing a valium taper?  I don't want to put the whole taper at risk; on the other hand I don't want to draw it out forever either.

I'm so grateful to find this site and this thread. 

Thanks.

Hi Charlotte,

So glad you found us! Listen, I went back and read your posts...I have a special place in my heart for those of us who've been on these drugs for so many years...I'm going to tell you the suicidal thoughts and despair you write about are all the drug. This is w/d and it's all normal thinking. It's not you...

I was on Ativan for 25 years and had a ridiculous amount of health problems...no one knew what what or why...long story short it was the Ativan. I'm now off a little over two months and while I'm still very symptomatic, all of my chronic pain is gone. The depression has lifted. I have hope for my future for the first time in 25 years. This can be done and I'm astonished at the changes already...never never give up or believe you can't come off. It's never too late! The mental sxs are very hard to cope with and they make us believe it can't be done. You are strong and you will be able to finish this taper...

Like Kiddo I'm curious if you're simply dry cutting and eyeballing the doses...everyone finishes their taper in a different manner. It's a matter of choice how to finish. The step off point is different for all of us. I'd spend some time reading and deciding how you want to finish. Don't look back at where you've been for the first part of the taper...you're where you are now...and that's ok..You could do what you're proposing with your taper, get a Gemini scale to finish or make a suspension or solution to create more precision. You have many options available. It's a matter of choice. We will help as much as we can...but mine is a message of hope :smitten:

Saga

Hey guys, I thought id drop in to give a little update. If not Kiddo is going to get mad at me :).

Ive been holding for quite awhile now in hopes for some relief from the symptoms i was experiencing. The last 2 months have been rather rough on me and in desperation i was hoping holding for a bit would bring about some relief.

Crossing my fingers but the difference between now is HUGE in comparison to the beginning of the month. From constant fear/anxiety, dissociation, 24/7 intrusive obsessive negative thoughts, several nighttime physical symptoms and a pretty severe depression to now just shaking,fatigue, lethargy,slight anxiety and a couple of weird head symptoms. Its such a bizarre feeling to not have these extreme thoughts plaguing me every minute of every day anymore after 2 months straight. To wake up in the morning with a clearer head and not this non stop voice in my head is a feeling so great i cannot put into words.

The last 5 days ive done things i wouldnt have imagined 3 weeks ago. Ive been trying to push myself into my uncomfortable zone in an attempt to somewhat get my life back. May sound ridiculous, but Ive spent hours in crowded areas (which was uncomfortable due to sounds/lighting), driven to places distant from my home, actually gone out to hang out with friends, gone to restaurants, so on so forth. This would have felt IMPOSSIBLE at the beginning of the month. I am HOPING that i can maintain this kind of quality of life for the rest of my taper, regardless of how long it may take.

Crossing my fingers, i hope that this is stability and not just a temporary upswing. I must also note that my high level of anhedonia has also lifted, which i attribute to those dreadful intrusive obsessive thoughts.

My psychiatrist does not want to px me compounded liquid. He is a little reluctant for me to carry out the remainder of my taper on Ativan. He wants me to switch over to Valium as soon as i can. Hopefully i can find a way to convince him to continue prescribing me Ativan for the remainder of my taper. I want to switch to liquid soon, i was just trying to stabilize first.

I hope everyone is doing well. There hasnt been much activity on this thread so im assuming youre all out and about and doing ok.

Cosmic this is wonderful news :smitten: I am so happy for you! Just keep doing what you're doing...this is the way out! I'm really proud of you for challenging yourself...it's paid off big time! You're on your way :smitten:

Oh, Cosmic!!! That is soooo wonderful to read!!!! I am soooo happy for you!!!!

I am really starting to think that the more I push myself (little pushes), the better I feel. It's like, if you don't push yourself into stressful situations (big or little), then your Gaba will never have a reason to grow back. This is just my theory.  :)

I have done more, since May, than I have done in a year!!! And, I am out living life now, even with the symptoms. I would rather 'live' with symptoms, than sit around waiting for them to go away.

Keep it going!!!

Hugs,

Nana  :smitten:

Hey guys, hope you haven't forgotten about me! Sorry I haven't posted in a while, I'm just kind of bleh. My taper is going fairly well so far, I'm making some good progress and hope to keep it up. I want EVERYONE to know that I'm praying for you all, and I'm sorry to hear that some of you are struggling. For those of you who are Christians, I ask that you keep me in your prayers as well if it isn't too much trouble :)

Kiddo if you are thinking about making your own liquid solution, I suggest dissolving your pills into a bit of alcohol first, its much faster and does a better job than straight water. For instance I take 5 ML of 80 proof vodka and add it to my container and gently swish it around till its dissolved. ( It only takes a few minutes) Then when its dissolved, I add 95 ML of water (totaling 100 ML) and make my cuts. And as Rriver said, make sure your stir continuously, as its not a solution, but a suspension. You don't want the majority of your dose settling in the bottom of the jar and making your cuts uneven, but as long as you stir youll be fine :) 

Hugs  :smitten:

Omni - so glad you are making progress and thank you for praying for everyone. I'm sorry you are feeling "bleh" I feel like that almost all the time. It can't last forever right? Lol. So you make your own suspension as well? That's so encouraging as I'm nervous about trying it. Thanks for the tip about the alcohol.

Nana - sounds like you are making some real progress. Way to go!! Healing is happening while we taper, I just wrote about that on my blog today.

Cosmic - I'm happy you are stabilizing and thanks for checking in. What are your plans going forward? Microtaper at .002mg per day?

Thought I'd just say a quick hello to all of you Ativan folks. I hope you are all doing well. Keep fighting the fight and we'll all be free soon. Hope nobody's hitting on my GF Kiddo. They'll be big trouble if there is  :laugh:

I'm still cruising in the slow lane getting close to the .2's.

Keep it real.

GIT

Green - for crying out loud.....UPDATE YOUR SIGNATURE  >:D.

So glad you are still doing well. That's for scaring off all my potential prospects. Jerk  :laugh:

Green - for crying out loud.....UPDATE YOUR SIGNATURE  >:D.

So glad you are still doing well. That's for scaring off all my potential prospects. Jerk  :laugh:

My signature is updated. Get your glasses on grandma!!!