Intrusive memories

[Da...]

Does anyone get intrusive memories? Even if these are good memories? I also have difficulty with short term memory now so it's like my brains filling in the gaps.

I've been getting them for about a year and a half. I thought it was some manifestation of anxiety but it started at the time I was prescribed diazepam, I also thought I was developing some kind of dissociative state. It's like my memory storage is all scrambled and keeps bringing forth these memories that I have no need to be dealing with, certain smells, weather, songs can bring it on. It's making the derealization worse..which is already bad.

I know Dr Ashton mentioned this for people in withdrawal but not in tolerance withdrawal-i have many withdrawal symptoms taking this same dose. I would say the symptoms ramped up when I had reduced from 1.5 to 1 but these intrusive memories haven't got any better. It's very disorientating.

There are a lot of posts from members about intrusive memories.  Like many others here I was plagued by intrusive memories during withdrawal.  You're right that it's a common withdrawal symptom and Dr. Ashton talks about it.  I don't think there's a significant difference in the type of withdrawal symptoms one gets whether it's interdose or otherwise.  I wondered if my brain was rushing to process memories I hadn't truly dealt with.  But the repetitive, ruminative aspect made me think it was more of a glitch my system was trying to calibrate as I healed. And as you say, it also happened with positive memories.  The looping memories have some similarities to earworms that also tormented me in the thick of withdrawal in the nonsensical repetition for no logical or even emotional reason.  The important piece to hold onto is that all of these symptoms fade away with time.  They did for me and they will for you as you recover.

Thank you for your reply. It definitely feels like a glitch my brain is trying to cope with.

I see that you were also on Ativan. I've tried going over to diazepam but didn't tolerate well. A private psychiatrist mentioned Klonopin which has a longer half life,  how was the transition for you?

I don't remember having any problems switching from Ativan to Klonopin.  If you switch it's important that the Klonopin doses are equivalent to your current Ativan dose.

Yes, Infact its ALWAYS the same person, surroundings and time period of my life.

Funnily enough it was around this time that i was first prescribed SSRI's for intrusive compulsive thoughts.