• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Sh...]

• [sa...]

• [An...]

• [Be...]

Yes I’m going to try snd get some, but that is the rule here in Australia. U need to be over 55 to buy them otc

Glad you're gonna try to get some, Shayna.  Covid depletes melatonin like crazy and melatonin is protective against the virus.  I took it for the first few months. 

[d0...]

I’ll try the melatonin if I can get some today. U have to be 55 to buy it here, but my hubby is 53 so will see if he can get it x

No fever just body aches that are very uncomfortable xx

Wow that's unbelievable!! Talk about a nanny state! sheesh! I hope you can get it.

My logic here is that: If half a Unisom can give you some sleep, Melatonin "should" in theory work even better. But the regular ones are a single 1hr punch, and then they run out. A timed release one would give you a heck of a better chance to fall asleep, since it's working for the next 4-6hr.

You don't have to use anything else with it, but my experience is you need to take several supplements together (but not in a combo supp, but rather, buy them separately and mix and match). Melatonin, Magnesium, Theanine and Kava all work in a different way, and NONE of them are direct GABA receptor agonists, so they won't hurt your healing. If a combo of those works for you, you could take it continuously for months with very low risk of sides.

Shay,

Sorry you are dealing with more "extreme" insomnia because of COVID

I have elderly parents so I got vaccinated last April (first dose) and then May 2021 (2nd dose) for them, so I could go see them as that is what they wanted

I still got COVID in September 2021.  I had muscle and body aches for a few days and lost my sense of smell and taste for about 10 days.  I had a low grade fever for one day and then felt drained for about a week, so all-in-all it wasn't that bad.  It didn't affect my sleep, but I am 5 years 5 months past my CT...people I know that also got COVID said they slept a ton.  One of my brothers said he slept for 38 hours in 3 days and normally only sleeps 5-6 hours each night.

It's too bad you didn't have it where it made you sleep like crazy?

The US lame stream media just reported that the Omicron variant is 91% less deadly than Delta or any other variant

Hopefully melatonin works for you.  Some suggest taking as much as 10mg about 2-3 hours before you want to sleep as it may have difficulty crossing the blood/brain barrier?

Good luck!  :thumbsup:

Thanku girls. I took half a unisom had a few hours woke up took another half and not sure what happened think I had some light sleep after that. Woke up with adrenaline surge and anxiety and haven’t had either of those in months. It’s my husbands birthday today so I have to dig deep x thanku for all ur thoughts. I’m so sad this has happened. I thought things were finally getting better x

I am so happy that you got some rest! Every little bit counts. I take melatonin every night. I have for 15 years. I took it when I wasn't sleeping at all, and I take it now that I am getting 4 to 5 hours (although last night was 3). I know you don't take melatonin but keep taking your Unisom if it helps you. Whatever works.

I hear you on the anxiety too. Every morning, when I wake up for the final time, I get an adrenaline/cortisol surge accompanied with anxiety and depression. I hope it goes away for both of us.

HM

HM

[d0...]

I took 2 circadin at 9, and struggled for hours but eventually fell asleep after midnight for a couple of hours.

That's great news!! Try to add 300mg of Magnesium next time, and if you can, 600mg of Theanine. Magnesium you can keep on using. I've been on Magnesium for the past 20 years, I only take 150mg before bedtime, but you should be fine with 300mg for a few months.

The better news is that: If Melatonin is helping, it works completely different than Unisom, so your body will reset its tolerance to Unisom, so you can now alternate between the two.

Also as you recover from COVID, sleep should improve. Mine did. Glad you were able to get some shayna, even if suboptimal.

I really feel for ppl who were actually put on benzos for sleep. I personally have never been a great sleeper but I have gotten mostly sufficient amounts even being on benzos for 30 years. Exercise tho has always been key for me and my go to. I have done it regularly and consistently my entire adult life. I was doing it even long before benzos entered my life.

Thanku both. What kind of mag is safe? I have mag citrate.

I remember when I was a normal sleeper and took a random temazepam for a good night sleep and thought nothing of it. Such a shame I ever started. What a mess

Thanku both. What kind of mag is safe? I have mag citrate.

I remember when I was a normal sleeper and took a random temazepam for a good night sleep and thought nothing of it. Such a shame I ever started. What a mess

They all have their place, but citrate is a laxative, so it could give you diarrhea.  I use magnesium chloride - it seems to be easier for me to handle than other types.

I take Drs. Best Elemental magnesium with lysine and glysine.  It's the element magnesium.  It was recommended on this site by more than a few bb's.  Doesn't give diarrhea either.  I only take a quarter of a pill at bedtime. 

Well last night I took 2 x melatonin 1 x 300 mag elemental and 1 unisom and got zero sleep. This is why I don’t try things coz they don’t work. There’s something wrong with me. Everything works for other people but not for me. I’m broken.

Well last night I took 2 x melatonin 1 x 300 mag elemental and 1 unisom and got zero sleep. This is why I don’t try things coz they don’t work. There’s something wrong with me. Everything works for other people but not for me. I’m broken.

Well if you're broken, I'm broken.  Nothing works for me either.  I took melatonin the whole first couple months after Covid and I still had tons of zero nights.  I kept taking it because of it's protective effect.  Sometimes it did seem to help.  But often it didn't.  And unisom never worked for me at all.  It would just put me in a torturous conscious coma.  Same with benadryl.  I've always felt defective because I respond so poorly to drugs and supplements. 

I don’t have a choice sage x I think I’ll be like this forever. I don’t understand what happened. I was doing so much better.

I don’t have a choice sage x I think I’ll be like this forever. I don’t understand what happened. I was doing so much better.

You won't be.  But Covid does do some pretty nasty things to people.  I don't suggest you go looking for Covid stories, but I have stupidly done that and there are many people suffering with insomnia.  It does get better, though.  Calm acceptance seems to help it to get better, but I know that's very difficult when you're suffering so much. 

I was so tired yesterday sage. I cried and cried while my hubby held me yesterday morning. Then I went for a walk and a swim, and did calming things all day. Now I’m fighting a hangover from what I took along with the lack of sleep . I just wish I could get a couple of hrs a night. It’s not much to ask for

I was so tired yesterday sage. I cried and cried while my hubby held me yesterday morning. Then I went for a walk and a swim, and did calming things all day. Now I’m fighting a hangover from what I took along with the lack of sleep . I just wish I could get a couple of hrs a night. It’s not much to ask for

I was right there with you yesterday.  I did the same after my own zero night.  So glad hubby had his day off yesterday so he could comfort me.  You're right, a couple hours really is not much to ask for.  I'm so sorry! 

I’m so sorry to hear that sage. It’s so lonely isn’t it. God I feel like I’m going to collapse today. I keep having micro nods and it’s so upsetting because I don’t just slip into sleep. It hurts x

I’m so sorry to hear that sage. It’s so lonely isn’t it. God I feel like I’m going to collapse today. I keep having micro nods and it’s so upsetting because I don’t just slip into sleep. It hurts x

Yes, it hurts.  :'(  It's pure torture!  I went through a lot of torture.  The good news is that even on my really bad nights now, it's not as torturous as it was in the beginning.  And I don't have as many of those bad nights.  I also have enough energy now to take care of myself.  It's slowly changing!

shayna, it's possible you're having paradoxical reactions to those supps. you took.  300mgs of elemental magnesium would make me wild and give me insomnia.  I take a 300mg pill and cut it in quarters and only take a very small piece at bedtime.