How do you cope with so little sleep?

[sa...]

I've slept 2 nights in a row, but last night was only 5 hours.  I know some people can basically survive and feel good on that for a long time, but not me.  My anxiety and depression is really hard to deal with this morning.  I wish I was more tolerant of sleep deprivation.

My Dr. prescribed mirtazapine for sleep a couple months ago and it did nothing. My sleep has gotten a little better, so maybe it would help now. It's hard saying. I went to trazodone and I keep taking it because it helps with depression.

HM

Glad the trazodone is helping with the depression.  Thanks for all your supportive posts!

I've slept 2 nights in a row, but last night was only 5 hours.  I know some people can basically survive and feel good on that for a long time, but not me.  My anxiety and depression is really hard to deal with this morning.  I wish I was more tolerant of sleep deprivation.

I know what you mean, Sage. I got 6+ hours last night and I am still really tired and wishing I could take a nap. I also have chronic fatigue in addition to insomnia so it makes it that much harder to deal with.

HM

I know what you mean, Sage. I got 6+ hours last night and I am still really tired and wishing I could take a nap. I also have chronic fatigue in addition to insomnia so it makes it that much harder to deal with.

HM

Yep, me too.  Chronic fatigue.  I'm starting more and more to think we have tired adrenals.  I had kind of forgotten, but now remember that low cortisol causes morning anxiety and trouble falling asleep at night.  That's because morning cortisol triggers evening melatonin release.  Low cortisol = low melatonin. 

I read somewhere that Professor Ashton told Baylissa regarding one of her clients that was so distraught about not sleeping that she should not be making herself more anxious about not sleeping but rather to see it that for whatever reason the healing that needs to happen right now has to happen while she is awake. Something like that. And also that you are getting the micro sleeps even when you don't know it and that is keeping you alive. You will still heal even on little sleep. I like to visualize a construction site in my brain.... I visualize the lights (grow lights) on the GABA receptors who have been planted like a seed and then I see a little man with a hard hat and a chisel going to town on pruning back the Glutamate.... then I see another crew working on the hormones and directing traffic. I know the sleep comes when the glutamate is pruned back more.

I am with you in spirit and my sleep is coming back after a couple of months of what felt like zero sleep. ZERO. I suppose there were micros happening but the hardest thing about no sleep is the lack of relief from symptoms. Your sleep will come.

I love when others share their visualizations.  I have picked up a couple of really good ones that have helped me with this process.  I believe visualizations help with the healing process.  I sometimes like to visualize a super healing radiant white light coming from this place far up in the heavens, it comes in through the crown of my head and fills up my brain and spinal cord, every nook and cranny imaginable, nourishing the regrowth of gaba receptors and calming the excitatory glutamate receptors. This light knows exactly how to heal me, and I trust and receive it fully.