Really bad anxiety/panic attacks!!!

[Ma...]

Hello everyone,

I get disabling attacks sometimes at work. Luckily I have a go to place own office area where I can be alone and lock the door. My symptoms I deal with is dizzy, sob, weak, tight stomach and throat, ibs, fast heart rate, tension, tempo headaches, or migraine, hot flashes,, pain like im dying, fear. It takes me 30 min to 1 hour to calm down. But after that I struggle the rest of my work day. Because I'm so mentally and physically exhausted. Its so debilitating because I have no go to pill to take to calm me in mins. But I will never take those pills ever.... I don't know if my post withdrawal is causing increased anxiety or is this how its gonna be. Its  very frustrating because every little thing can trigger me. And it messes with my mind..Putting in the work naturally physically and mentally to get better is very hard work. sorry but I'm just venting...

I've been there and it's brutally miserable. Panic attacks are hellish.  I'm so sorry you have to deal with all of this while working.  Frankly, it's one of the most difficult experiences many of us will ever go through.  But, we get through it, one day at a time, sometimes one hour at a time. I'm so glad to see your resolve to never return to benzos.  I see a lot of strength in that and this will help you get through this.

I'll share a list of things that helped me.  It doesn't make these awful symptoms stop but it makes it easier to cope.  I found the best thing was to practice these techniques/approaches everyday - I found there was a cumulative effect over time.  And over time we heal.  Healing takes time but healing happens. 

Healthy eating, drinking plenty of water everyday to stay well hydrated and flush toxins

Moderate exercise - walking in nature 30 minutes every day can help give you a sense of wellbeing.

Distraction - Put all that anxious energy into distracting activities like, tidying, household projects, puzzles, drawing/painting, funny TV shows , etc. - anything that absorbs your attention so you stop focusing on your symptoms. This is probably the most effective tools of all.

Guided meditation apps like Headspace or Calm - if you have a quiet, private place to go at work you could do one of these.

Sticking to a routine each day, getting as much rest (not necessarily sleep) as possible

Warm bath with Epsom salts and a few drops of essential oil (lavender is calming but whatever you like) for 20 minutes

Soothing music

Funny shows/movies - laughter is good

Chamomile tea is very soothing for many of us; others think it isn't helpful - you may want to experiment and see if it works for you.

Avoid stress as much as you can.  Stress is hard on our already overburdened CNS and can rev up symptoms

Breathing techniques:  4-7-8 breathing  Inhale 4 counts; hold 7 counts; exhale 8 counts

Box Breathing:  Inhale very slowly for count of 4; hold count of 4; exhale count of 4; hold count of 4

Positive statements/Prayer - repeating I will not feel this way forever I am safe. I am healing. I am okay

Please be sure to read Success Stories - they can give you an infusion of hope when you feel discouraged.

Wishing you much healing and relief

Brighterday

Hi Mark,

I've been struggling again the past few days. I've just listened to a book by Dr Claire Weekes, seen it recommended here and on an AD withdrawal forum (I find it more relaxing than reading). Although and old book, she does make perfect sense and found it very good. I've actually just bought her other book as I think it very good.

"Hope and help for your nerves" By the way

Hello everyone,

I get disabling attacks sometimes at work. Luckily I have a go to place own office area where I can be alone and lock the door. My symptoms I deal with is dizzy, sob, weak, tight stomach and throat, ibs, fast heart rate, tension, tempo headaches, or migraine, hot flashes,, pain like im dying, fear. It takes me 30 min to 1 hour to calm down. But after that I struggle the rest of my work day. Because I'm so mentally and physically exhausted. Its so debilitating because I have no go to pill to take to calm me in mins. But I will never take those pills ever.... I don't know if my post withdrawal is causing increased anxiety or is this how its gonna be. Its  very frustrating because every little thing can trigger me. And it messes with my mind..Putting in the work naturally physically and mentally to get better is very hard work. sorry but I'm just venting...

I can relate to this so much. I get terrifying panic attacks at work. I feel like people can tell that there’s something wrong with me, that  they think I’m crazy, that I’m gonna lose my job. I will shut my door to my office and sometimes crawl under my desk and cry and shake.

I’m so sorry that you’re going through this too. I wish I could tell you something that would help. I have been doing meditation and yoga lately in the morning and it seems to help me avoid the really extreme panic attacks at work, but sometimes they just come and there’s nothing I can do. It’s so hard to work I agree when you are mentally  and physically exhausted from riding  that rollercoaster of panic and terror. I also find it really hard to concentrate at work, and I am able to accomplish so much less than I could back before withdrawal.