Weightlifting

[...]

I’ve speculated about adrenal fatigue for a long time. My cortisol tested high like a year ago. I tried to rest and not workout for months, but it made me worse. But I do take vitamins and stuff that supposedly support adrenals. Vit C, magnesium, B complex, turmeric, fermented cod liver oil, in the morning; Cortisol manager and her baton in at night. I also drink rooibos tea with collagen peptides.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [...]

• [Be...]

• [Ic...]

• [ba...]

I only take a small amount of magnesium at night.  Take a big 500mg pill and split it down to smaller chips.  A whole or even half a tab would rev me up horribly.

bazil, how much weight are you lifting now?  I used to lift weights on barbells when I was in the conditioning club at the highschool when I was on the track team.  They had a conditioning club in the winter to prepare those of us on the track team for track then.  I remember one time a lady who was using a barbell swung the darn thing around and hit someone on the head.  Luckily that person wasn't hurt.  No one should be swinging a barbell around with other people around. 

• 4 weeks later...

ive been powerlifting for ~5 years or so, lost a heap of strength and muscle through the benzo debacle, but after the first few weeks of acute i was able to resume the bare minimum training

also the pumps feel a bit different, more stiff and uncomfortable than a normal pump

Hi DBM, I know it's not quite the same but I started doing a Beachbody program in earnest about 1 month ago :) I haven't been comfortable going back to a gym yet and find it is more motivating to have someone on TV yelling at me telling me what to do!

I had to take some time off this week due to congestion and am missing the physical activity already! I was using 2 7.5lb dumbbells but they got too easy pretty quickly and so I bought 2 50-pound adjustable dumbbells to use in my home gym.

• 2 months later...
Hey guys - did you have an increase of symptoms at first but then they subsided or did they persist? I used to be super active but these last 14 months ive been struggling with exercise intolerance. For the first time since Aug, I tried my Peloton again to see how I would react. My mood was better, but I had a bunch of symptoms and didnt sleep well last night. I only did 20 min and made sure my BPMs were never above 110 (which is low compared to how I used to push myself). Ive lost so much muscle and gained so much weight from this + wfh with covid. Does it get better with perseverance?

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for starting the thread! I've found I injure chronically now. I do believe it's the benzos. I've been unable to lift for about a year now. No matter what exercise I do I end up with muscle tightness and physical pain. My garage is my gym and I have 2 teenage sons who lift. They grew up with me running and hitting the weights. They try to get me out there hitting the weights with them. I did do forearms this week with no injury! It might not sound like much but it felt good to hold a weight at all. The previous I tried barbell curls and my neck was jacked up painfully for 2 days. I spent about 6 months in 2020 going to physical therapy for neck and back injuries. I'm hoping and praying I heal and I can resume running and weight lifting. Do set for me!

• 3 weeks later...
It's been awhile since I checked in but for a few reasons I've just lost all motivation to workout over the past month. One of them turns out that I was aggravating a hip injury and I'm getting treated for that. It's really hard right now with COVID and incessant rain here in the PNW  :-[

I hear you. I go to the gym at an off time, so nobody else is in there. Plus it’s a big open warehouse with high ceilings, so I feel pretty safe.

[6a...]

That’s awesome, superpop! It’s my belief that any physical activity we can manage is beneficial. Keep it up, man. Crush those 50s.

Don't you worry that you're essentially floxing yourself with excercise? Tribulin, endogenous BZD-site inverse agonist is elevation during intense physical activity. Many people who were feeling 100% setbacked themselves with intense excercise.

I do wonder about the role of the body's endogenous BZD Inverse Agonist & MAO Inhibitor (known collectively as Tribulin). Tribulin is isolated in significantly higher concentrations in the urine in those who are under duress, those suffering from benzo/alcohol withdrawal syndrome, those with PTSD and HD, and those who exercise.

[d4...]

I'm a female, but have always been interested to know why men need to exercise and lift weights so much?

I’m a female who lived in the gym before my WD happened. Every single day I think about the day I can lift again. It was the one thing I loved. I’ve tried to lift on several occasions but it revved me up so I figured I needed to wait longer.

But to add to this thread,

Thank you for this thread.

I can’t wait to powerlift again!!

That’s awesome, superpop! It’s my belief that any physical activity we can manage is beneficial. Keep it up, man. Crush those 50s.

Don't you worry that you're essentially floxing yourself with excercise? Tribulin, endogenous BZD-site inverse agonist is elevation during intense physical activity. Many people who were feeling 100% setbacked themselves with intense excercise.

I do wonder about the role of the body's endogenous BZD Inverse Agonist & MAO Inhibitor (known collectively as Tribulin). Tribulin is isolated in significantly higher concentrations in the urine in those who are under duress, those suffering from benzo/alcohol withdrawal syndrome, those with PTSD and HD, and those who exercise.

Yes, there are times when I think I overdid it. Cam you elaborate on the tribulin? I’m not familiar with this.

Hey DBM, I hope to be able to start weight lifting again. I have been a fairly dedicated lifter for virtually my entire life with the exception of the last 2 years. I suffer injury after injury...I think it's due to the benzos but how to know for sure? I'm a building contractor, I own my own business. I guess I'm lucky I've been able to keep my business running throughout the whole withdrawal process. What's more, 2020 was the best year for me financially, which blows my mind.

I hope to resume weight lifting and running again at some point in the near future. Today Mark's 5 months since I jumped! I am healing, theres no doubt about that. I had a bad window about 2 months ago and honestly thought I might have to check myself into a mental health facility but I pulled through...whew. God knows what they would have wanted to put me on in a place like that. I'm coming to believe that psychiatric medications are poison for the human nervous system.

But to lifting! I've been a fairly traditional weight lifter with the bench and squat at the core of my program. I'll list my set of exercises:

1. Curl- standing barbell (curling bar)

Dumbell curl

2. Forearm- dumbell curl and reverse on the (forearm laying flat on a  bench)

3. Calf Raises- standing with barbell

4. Shrugs (traps)- standing with barbell

5. Tricep- overhead tricep extensions

6. Deltoids- standing military press, sitting is difficult with my setup

7. Squat- barbell

8. Deltoid- straight arm raise, front

9. Back/lats- dumbell with 1 knee on bench, torso at 45

I've tried to do deadlift many, many times over about 7 years  but I always injure my lower back. I will probably never try them again. I also spent about 6 months in early (the first half) of 2020 in physical therapy for my back and neck. My back is doing well but the neck is still hurting. I did manage to run 1/4 mile tonight! The only exercise I can reliably do is walking right now.

I dont know when I'll be able to start again, I hope within maybe 6 months.

[6a...]

Yes, there are times when I think I overdid it. Cam you elaborate on the tribulin? I’m not familiar with this.

Tribulin does the opposite of benzo, it's like those antibiotics. Tribulin is excreted during acute stress and physical exercise.

Tribulin does the opposite of benzo, it's like those antibiotics. Tribulin is excreted during acute stress and physical exercise.

But does it hinder healing in any way?

Hey DBM, I hope to be able to start weight lifting again. I have been a fairly dedicated lifter for virtually my entire life with the exception of the last 2 years. I suffer injury after injury...I think it's due to the benzos but how to know for sure? I'm a building contractor, I own my own business. I guess I'm lucky I've been able to keep my business running throughout the whole withdrawal process. What's more, 2020 was the best year for me financially, which blows my mind.

I hope to resume weight lifting and running again at some point in the near future. Today Mark's 5 months since I jumped! I am healing, theres no doubt about that. I had a bad window about 2 months ago and honestly thought I might have to check myself into a mental health facility but I pulled through...whew. God knows what they would have wanted to put me on in a place like that. I'm coming to believe that psychiatric medications are poison for the human nervous system.

But to lifting! I've been a fairly traditional weight lifter with the bench and squat at the core of my program. I'll list my set of exercises:

1. Curl- standing barbell (curling bar)

Dumbell curl

2. Forearm- dumbell curl and reverse on the (forearm laying flat on a  bench)

3. Calf Raises- standing with barbell

4. Shrugs (traps)- standing with barbell

5. Tricep- overhead tricep extensions

6. Deltoids- standing military press, sitting is difficult with my setup

7. Squat- barbell

8. Deltoid- straight arm raise, front

9. Back/lats- dumbell with 1 knee on bench, torso at 45

I've tried to do deadlift many, many times over about 7 years  but I always injure my lower back. I will probably never try them again. I also spent about 6 months in early (the first half) of 2020 in physical therapy for my back and neck. My back is doing well but the neck is still hurting. I did manage to run 1/4 mile tonight! The only exercise I can reliably do is walking right now.

I dont know when I'll be able to start again, I hope within maybe 6 months.

Hey Andy,

Congrats on the great year! Well done especially during such a crazy year. Hope it continues for you in 2021.

I hear you with the injuries. I tweaked my back pretty bad doing some brick work a few months ago and I still feel it. It flares up at the gym if I don’t fully warm up. With deadlifts, I’ve found that fully warming up and focusing on breathing and bracing the trunk helps prevent injury. Check out the Valsalva maneuver. A good lifting belt helps too. I know you’ve probably heard all that though.

Hope you can lift again soon, but there’s nothing wrong with walking. I often ride the stationary bike at home quick walk outside and it helps a lot. Actually, walking is one of the exercises that makes me feel the best - especially in the woods.

[6a...]

If it causes setbacks, I suspect it also hinders healing. As long as you're excreting it I guess you aren't allowing glutamate to calm down. It's like you are taking a drug that's doing the opposite of benzo, all the time.

If it causes setbacks, I suspect it also hinders healing. As long as you're excreting it I guess you aren't allowing glutamate to calm down. It's like you are taking a drug that's doing the opposite of benzo, all the time.

Interesting. Thanks for letting me know. I’ll look into it some more.