Tapering off Xanax - or C/T due to relatively short term use

[Vo...]

VD, that's why , just imo, I would try adjusting the seroquel.  Lower, lots of room between 100 mgs and 200.  Last time I am saying anything, it's just always worked so well for me.  And it won't begin the merry go round.  Now my mouth is zipped.  :D.  Several people on here won't believe my mouth is zipped  ;):laugh:  good luck!!

:laugh:  I'm sure all suggestions are welcome.  :smitten:

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Vo...]

• [Pa...]

• [Ma...]

• [Ch...]

yes still working, although very poorly.  I doubt I will be able to hang on to the job much longer but hoping I can.  The mental aspect is really getting to me, having a lot of bad thoughts and im unable to concentrate on any one thing (besides BB and Benzo youtube it seems) for longer than a few minutes. I know I have to push past it but it has been a real struggle.

VonDark,

Someone I sort of "mentor" told me you might be in need of my help. I wold be glad to try to give you a hand getting through this.

Benzo wd comes as such a huge shock to most of us. I had NO idea it could be that bad, and I am an RN of many years and even worked in a darn Detox place. I honestly thought that benzo wd wold last about 2 weeks, and sort of be like having a bad flu virus.

Oh how wrong I was.

I really admire you for trying to work now. God, how do you DO this? You must be much stronger than you think you are.

But if you do have to leave your job, please know it wont be forever. Benzo wd is ugly and awful, but it DOES end. Just not as fast as we want.

I agree with Pamster about the Seroquel. I tried that drug too, didn't do a darn things for me, so I just ditched it. Some psych doc told me it might help me sleep. it didn't, duh!

For me, the fewer drugs I take, the better I feel. I currently only take 4 and all are for essential hypertension. Innocent stuff, I hope.

Please know this: the awful way you feel now WILL pass on over, as you slowly heal. time is your friend. Time and distracting yourself from it all. You must have to get your mind OFF benzo wd and onto something else! Anything...whether its crossword puzzles, knitting, drawing, cooking, cleaning...will work. This is sort of the basics of benzo wd, Dark. We have to distract and we have to learn new and better ways to cope with anxiety and insomnia.

Please let us know how you are doing.

east

yes still working, although very poorly. I doubt I will be able to hang on to the job much longer but hoping I can.  The mental aspect is really getting to me, having a lot of bad thoughts and im unable to concentrate on any one thing (besides BB and Benzo youtube it seems) for longer than a few minutes. I know I have to push past it but it has been a real struggle.

I'm wondering if this is part of the catastrophic thinking that benzo's is so good about creating in us?  Is there more to this than you thinking about it, could it really happen and if so, what can you do to prevent it from happening?  If it's a reality, lets look for solutions.

3 Weeks today since my last Xanax. 

Heightened sensitivity to noise, some tightening in the abdomen, 24x7 insomnia with varying degrees of agitation. cog fog, short term memory issues, scared and tons of regrets, but know that I can't look back. Psych appointment on Friday, will be checking options for reducing Seroquel, maybe adding something to help get any sleep.  Thanks to all who have given advice and encouragement, I really appreciate it. I'm hanging in there.

3 Weeks today since my last Xanax. 

Heightened sensitivity to noise, some tightening in the abdomen, 24x7 insomnia with varying degrees of agitation. cog fog, short term memory issues, scared and tons of regrets, but know that I can't look back. Psych appointment on Friday, will be checking options for reducing Seroquel, maybe adding something to help get any sleep.  Thanks to all who have given advice and encouragement, I really appreciate it. I'm hanging in there.

We are right here with you VD, willing you forward and hoping things get easier soon.  Mary 💜💜💜

Things aren't looking very good today, are they, it makes me so sad you have to suffer like this.

I'm concerned about your Dr appointment, does s/he know about benzo withdrawal, are you going to be faced with disbelief making you feel worse than you do?  Can I dump a couple of websites on you to arm you for your appointment?

One thing I was glad to see in your previous post was your statement that you can't look back, it sounds like you've given up on reinstatement being the answer.  I'm glad because that kind of indecision only brings about more stress.

Does your Dr recognize you're in withdrawal or is he blaming your other health condition?  It makes me want to march in there with you to be your advocate, but it's better that your Dr doesn't know about BenzoBuddies, most Dr's don't understand that this support is all many people have when it comes to benzo withdrawal.  Okay, on my soapbox again.  :-[

I don't know if you've seen this one, but I feel it has some good information.  Some for the Dr, some for the patient.  I just feel like the more you know, the better you can speak to your situation which is, you're suffering withdrawal symptoms from a short course of benzodiazepines, it's pretty normal around here but many Dr's won't recognize the harm this drug can do in a short time.

https://benzoreform.org/

I will try reinstatement only if things get so desperate that the only alternative is hospitalization or worse.  If I get hospitalized they will only lock me up for a while and give me some useless psych drugs like the Seroquil im on now. Things are not at that point yet thankfully.

I hear despair in your words but also conviction and a realization that psych medications are not the answer to benzodiazepine withdrawal, many just complicate the process.  What I dislike about the whole psych medication industry is the commercials that say, this is 'thought' to be able to this or that, no one really knows, so many of these are used off label to the original intent of the drug.  Talk about human guinea pigs, never mind the rats, we've stepped right up to the plate here.  Oh man, I'm on my soap box again, sorry.

You asked if I had any questions to recommend you ask, I don't but I feel you should do your best to remain calm and speak as dispassionately as you can about your symptoms and state of mind.  I don't know your relationship with your Dr, I hope it's one of mutual respect but being dramatic about stuff like this doesn't usually get us very far, they're scientists after all and base their decisions on facts and knowledge, at least we hope they do.

Thanks, I will do my best :)

Hello, I’m going through a similar situation. I only used for a very short time like 6weeks maybe, not even every day. Although I’m tapering, I’d like to know how your withdrawals are going today? How long did they last? I too have a kid and husband who need me back to normal soon. Husband has been nothing but supportive but I feel like I can only put him through so much of my mess I created.

My symptoms so far are increased sensitivity to sound, severe anxiety and agitation that lasts all day to where I need other medication to sleep even few hours, some tightness in the abdomen, weakness in the legs, and decreased short term memory and ability to think clearly.  Also lots of thinking dark thoughts about how I got into this mess in the first place.  We can read up in this thread to see if I missed anything else, but I think that pretty much covers it.

My symptoms so far are increased sensitivity to sound, severe anxiety and agitation that lasts all day to where I need other medication to sleep even few hours, some tightness in the abdomen, weakness in the legs, and decreased short term memory and ability to think clearly.  Also lots of thinking dark thoughts about how I got into this mess in the first place.  We can read up in this thread to see if I missed anything else, but I think that pretty much covers it.

VD, thinking about you, is is just horrible that such a short round of benzo's could cause this, it makes me so angry.  There was no way to know.  Please hold on.  Everything you mentioned is a common, if fuc-ing awful withdrawal symptom.  Mary 💜💜

Psych put me up to 300mg seroquel taken at night.  Slept maybe  2-3 hours broken sleep overnight.  This drug makes me so hungry I'm eating everything in sight.  Praying I get a window from these symptoms.

Psych put me up to 300mg seroquel taken at night.  Slept maybe  2-3 hours broken sleep overnight.  This drug makes me so hungry I'm eating everything in sight.  Praying I get a window from these symptoms.

VD, I am so sorry.  I have always heard it is only low dose of seroquel that helps sleep.  But I can't say what the cut off is for low doses, but 300 sounds awfully high.  I just tried to research it, at 150 mgs, it says it is a bipolar dose.  Since it's an off label drug for sleep, I couldn't find anything  :(

I'm not a Dr however,  keep raising it's makes no sense to me.  I wish I could be more help. Really hope that sleep returns soon.  Mary💜

Problem is he's unwilling to believe I'm in withdrawal and is treating me like I'm psychotic.

You know you are not psychotic, so only you can decide what dose of the seroquel you take.  I wish we could help more.  :(

VonDark, I'm really sorry to hear of the troubles you are presently experiencing during your w/d & cessation. I will attempt to briefly address your PM in this thread.

I was initially prescribed Valium to treat Cluster Headaches while attending college, decades ago. Although that treatment is not now recognized as an appropriate remedy for Cluster Headaches, it was at that time. I continued using Valium as prescribed for a very long time without issue but, I decided on my own volition to quit using valium, C/T. I severely experienced most of the recognized symptoms of w/d and became unable to work within a short period of time. I was happily married with young children. I was gainfully employed and enjoyed my work and social life. I nor my family were in a position in life for me to become dysfunctional.

Within that short period of time after my C/T, it became apparent to myself and all of those around me that I was becoming dysfunctional and my condition was quickly deteriorating. My wife, family and associates convinced me to seek professional medical assistance.

I recall my team of doctors were very concerned about the length of time that I had ceased using the prescribed valium to seeking their medical assistance. To date, I haven't been able to find very much information regarding what is commonly called a "window of opportunity" to reinstate but in looking back, I wonder if that concept is what greatly concerned my team of doctors. To the best of my recollection, I was "off" of valium for about 4 to 6 weeks before my doctors successfully reinstated me on Xanax and my symptoms gradually improved and, if I remember correctly, it took several months before I felt fully functional and normal again. When I returned to the care of one prescribing doctor, I was told to NEVER stop taking the prescribed benzo, Xanax, again.

After reinstating/crossing over to Xanax, and regaining full functionality, I was able to successfully raise my family, make some good investments and retire with pension benefits.

It was only after my prescribing doctor retired that my new prescribing doctor recently (about a year or so ago) suggested that I try to taper off Xanax. As with my previous experience with C/T'g from Valium, I quickly noticed the same symptoms while trying to taper from Xanax. The internet and other sources of information were not widely available when I attempted to C/T from Valium but, there is much more information available to the public now and I read as much information as I could find and continue to do so regarding Benzos and Benzo w/d. As I said before, I have been unable to find very much credible information regarding "window of opportunity" for reinstating however, I would give that some serious consideration if I were in your present position.

After recently attempting to w/d from Xanax, I have successfully up-dosed and I am again living a pleasant and functional life. I am once again enjoying lots of time with my friends, associates and family doing the things I enjoy doing. I do not regret up-dosing and I have accepted my current prescribed regimen of dosing Xanax 4 times per day.

I hope I have answered some of the questions you alluded to in your PM and I sincerely wish you all the best in whatever decisions you make and hope you will enjoy a long and prosperous future. 

Edit: Just thought I would also mention that I know many real life friends that have used benzos in accordance with their prescribers' instructions for decades with no adverse effects including a lady that lived a great life with a clear mind before finally dying from non-benzo related heart failure at the age of 95.

Hey VD, FI did exactly what I would do but I went into tolerance , suffered for about a year, spent lots of money taking tests, and we finally figured out it was benzo's.  So they actually hurt me, I was having terrible stomach pain .  I have no choice but to come off the drugs.  My body and brain, just don't work with benzo's.  I see by reading your history and FI's, your stories are completely different.

He was on for years, no issues for a long time.  You became dependent in a matter of weeks.  You are just very unfortunate in that area but it happens sometimes.  What worries me, is that you became dependent so quickly, you would have to keep updosing to stay ahead of it.  I really think that would be a miserable way to live.  That's just my opinion. 

I am actually jealous of FI, if I could stay on without pain, nervousness, etc, I would , believe me.  I just can't.  You have made it so far off such a small dose and short time, imo, it's not worth the risk.

However, if you are convinced reinstating is what you want you do, we will be here for you!!  Mary 💜

Mary, I'm curious: Have you read about & if so, can you share information regarding the concept I mentioned to VonDark about there may be a critical period of time or a "window of opportunity" between the time a person ceases using a benzodiazepine (and some other substances) and reinstating one without causing significant and perhaps irreparable damage being caused to affected neural receptors? 

Hi Fi, I have actually read different opinions here on bb.  Some definitely believe there is a more opportune time frame to either reinstate or updose, but I also know others that have updosed or reinstated after that period has passed.  So, as with most things benzo's, everyone is different, also in their reactions after reinstating or updosing.  Mary  :)