Will Insomnia Last the Entire Taper? /scared

[Ze...]

I just began my klonopin taper... and I'm having insomnia. I'm sleeping some, but I have trouble falling asleep and I keep waking throughout the night... and some of the time I can't get back to sleep for a long time.

I feel dead today. And my eyes just ache.

Does insomnia last during the entire taper? I'm scared... I know it takes a long time to get off of klonopin... I don't know if I can manage having insomnia a year or more! I am one of those people who is barely functional when I don't sleep.

Advice? Hope? Commiseration?

-- ZenPineapple

Insomnia is going to be a problem. I just finished a klonopin taper and 7.5 mg mirtazapine at night helped a lot. I switched to 50 mg amitriptyline at night lately since completely stopping klonopin. Find what works for you. don't taper too fast, and good luck!

I have had poor nights and better ones. But nothing like a good solid 8. I keep reminding myself, sometimes many times a day, that all of these symptoms are temporary. When it happens to me, I cannot stay n bed. I get up and watch a show or meditate or pet my dog. Maybe try to distract yourself from clock watching. I know that when I put extra worry on a symptom it seems to grow. Your body will eventually give in and you will get some sleep. In time, this will all be behind us. I am so sorry you are hurting and anxious.

Zenpineapple,

You'd be surprised by what you can learn to adjust to. I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and lived my life for decades avoiding sleep loss since I also couldn't function (in my perception) without at least 8, preferably 10-11, hours of sleep. Wd taught me that those were just stories I told myself and really believed. It was very, very difficult but I learned I could go to work, exercise, and do much of my normal stuff (still with time lying down and being chill) after totally sleepless nights. I learned to do fine with very short broken nights. I didn't like it, it totally sucked, but I learned that it was a choice to endure this in order to fight for this benzo/drug free life I longed for. Now I manage fairly well on 6-7 hours. It was worth the fight. It will be for you too.