PTSD Club

[Gr...]

What’s the opinion on doing trauma therapy while in withdrawal?

I think my Complex PTSD and wd reinforce each other, so I’m treating both. Only thing I worry about is that wd depression/anxiety makes it hard to feel relief during the therapy. I am improving over time, though, so that’s something.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Wh...]

• [Gr...]

• [Sh...]

• [co...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure but I feel like wd makes you act like you have ptsd. Intrusive memories, hypervigilqnt anxiey. I feel like I have it from wd. I had other things happen in my life, in wd I feel like maybe I have ptsd from those events but before wd I was fine. I always had the startle response. Not sure why. If it helps you then I would say do it. Being in wd makes it confusing because we think we have mental disorders that we may not have due to wd. Ugh

I resonate with a lot of this. I had a lot of bad things happen in childhood and adulthood and with it a lifelong intense startle response and hypervigilance. And the circumstances that brought me to abusing benzos and then stopping were pretty traumatic. So I think both exist in a stew, though it’s taken some time to realize that things I thought were PTSD symptoms were more likely wd. Like, I thought I was having flashbacks, but after reading around sounded much more like the intrusive and morbid thoughts people get in taper and wd.

So I guess with the therapy I just have to hold it like everything else. My internal emotional compass is off, but I can put together some tools and structures that will help with the trauma healing now and later.

I can relate. I like the way you said stew, exactly. I found i was freaking out about things I thought were ptsd and it was flooding memories. Oh, it was terrible.  Everything seems much worse an intense than it is in wd. My therapist sometimes makes me worse because its sx. Meditation, grounding, self compassion help alot. If you think the therapy helps and you need to talk and your struggling and have a good therapist then it can't hurt. Just really focus on good coping skills. I feel like when mysx. Settle and my taper is done is things are left over ill work on it. Hang in there, things will get better.

I'm not sure but I feel like wd makes you act like you have ptsd. Intrusive memories, hypervigilqnt anxiey. I feel like I have it from wd. I had other things happen in my life, in wd I feel like maybe I have ptsd from those events but before wd I was fine. I always had the startle response. Not sure why. If it helps you then I would say do it. Being in wd makes it confusing because we think we have mental disorders that we may not have due to wd. Ugh

I agree with everything you say here Dehytq2.  I am not sure if I had a trauma before benzos or not, tbh. And I still have the exaggerated startle response.  I would love to know a way to stop that, if anyone here knows. 

Idk green cup. Ive had it for as long as I remember. Ive always had bad anxiety since junior high. Which is why I ended up on meds to begin with. I wish there was a way to know for sure. Maybe ots a combination of traumas and genetics.  Ugh

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I'm going to burst into tears. I was just talking with my therapist about a weird experience I had in wd when some childhood memories of abuse came back. My bf put his arm around me a few times and I freaked. Long story. So my therapist thinks I might have ptsd from childhood.  It never bothered me before. Not till wd. Im so confused. It was not severe abuse. Now im scared because wd sx resemble ptsd. I dont want to be misdiagnosed.  Now im thinking I have ptsd not wd. Or maybe I have both and it happened at the same time. This cant be possible. Can someone help me. Im scared. I just want to get better. I hope I ront trigger anyone. Im sorry.

Hi everyone,

I'm going to burst into tears. I was just talking with my therapist about a weird experience I had in wd when some childhood memories of abuse came back. My bf put his arm around me a few times and I freaked. Long story. So my therapist thinks I might have ptsd from childhood.  It never bothered me before. Not till wd. Im so confused. It was not severe abuse. Now im scared because wd sx resemble ptsd. I dont want to be misdiagnosed.  Now im thinking I have ptsd not wd. Or maybe I have both and it happened at the same time. This cant be possible. Can someone help me. Im scared. I just want to get better. I hope I ront trigger anyone. Im sorry.

Oh that is so hard.  I also recently had traumatic memories come back to me.  It is very sad, and honestly, I don't know what I am supposed to do with them.  I was triggered by something I was watching on tv, it was a woman yelling for help, and it just made me feel for her so much, I suddenly was back in my traumatic incidents.  I have been doing a thing where I pay attention to each thing that makes me feel upset, angry, or anxious, and I am trying to trace them back to their original incident.  I think I have about 4 incidents that still cause me anxiety, anger, fear, or being upset.  I got this idea from a book called, "Take Control of Your Life" by Mel Robbins.

Though she says to go to therapy for traumatic incidents.  I will tell you that I did go to therapy and she wanted me to write down what I felt when I was angry.  That didn't help during withdrawal much, because what I felt was just anger at the current situation.  Now that I am further out, I think I know what she meant and what she was really looking for.  I may go back to therapy once I feel like I know exactly what I want to focus on. 

I totally get it. Its so hard to tell if it's the wd bringing the memories back that you felt like you maybe were ok and already dealt with it. I feel like the wd plays tricks on you, its aggravating. If you are farther out maybe you should go back if you feel you can handle it. I want to talk in therapy but my therapist has no idea about wd and she makes me worse. Stuff I went through I would think of time to time but I was ok. I did have anxiety and starle reponse and social anxiety.  Only  until wd I start acting like I have ptsd. Maybe its wd. I guess its a good thing that it came up in a way because we can get therapy and work through it. I like your idea. I will look for the book. Thank you.

Hi,

I planned on responding today Dehytq2. What has happened is that I went off of my diet and something stressful came up the other day. I have also been pushing myself, so now I’m dealing with migraine issues. It could have been the morning after I said I would come back by that I got tested by this stressful surprise I mention. I have been thinking about replying all week, but have been a little overwhelmed in my life again with getting things together and keeping them together.

It seems like getting the balance with understanding what I’m capable of and what I’m not is my main struggle right now, along with taking into account the all the unpredictable things life presents. Trying to eliminate as much of the unpredictable as possible that I have any relative control over, but I got surprised again recently.

I have dealt and been dealing with both trauma and withdrawal for years. If you look at my signature you will see both of these, lol. Not so much funny, but you know the relationship pain and humor have? Sometimes I just need to laugh.

Anyway, what I’m saying is that I’ve had experience with both and have also been working on and working through trauma from withdrawal and other events in my life. I want to give a thoughtful reply, and haven’t been able to yet but I wanted you to know I haven’t forgotten.

If I thought that the situation of trauma in withdrawal were hopeless, I am not sure I would have had the strength to respond. However, after experiencing huge, whopping doses of both and seeing my own progress, I have great faith that your situation is nowhere near hopeless. The work I have done and what I have learned from a highly competent trauma psychologist also tells me this.

Hoping to be able to reply on the soon side, and glad you are getting support from GreenCup and others. Many of us here are in the same storm, so to speak. But I believe for the vast majority it really can all be OK in the end.

Michele

Hi monitored,

I completely get it. I go through the same things. Stressful events throw me off too. Then I definitely feel it and it takes me a while to bounce back. Im sorry you aren't feeling well. This is so hard. It really is hard to find balance. Im listening to some meditation music and got the app headspace which is really helpful. Very simple to follow. Your going to be ok. Im avoiding stressful things and people as much as possible. Sometimes even my cat sets me back, chasing me around the house, lol. Just kidding.  Cant wait till this sx is gone.

Im sorry you went through trauma, poor thing its awful.  Plus, I feel like the wd amplifies everything and you seem to relive things over and over. Then the trauma the wd ex perience could cause. Gets confusing for me. Ive always been anxious so I think of all the different scenarios and scare myself. Not sure if its my anxiety anymore or wd. Probably wd. Or a combination. Jeez. No matter, it will go for us. Less intensities. Sorry, im rambling. I confuse everyone, including myself!! That is great you are seeing progress. Do you do therapy,  or you processed through it all as you healed more. Thanks for your reply. No rush on z reply. Just rest.

Hello all x have any of you tired EMDR therapy? I had my first session last week so too early to say if it’s going to help.

Just thought I’d mention it as it’s spose to be THE therapy for ptsd xx

Sending u all love ❤️

Shayna, I think I mentioned to you that I’ve done EMDR. It’s helped me a lot, it took some time. I may go through it again once I finish my taper for the trauma that’s happened from tapering.

Yes I remember it helped u kits xx I’m so glad it did. Do u remember how many sessions u had in total? I’m going every week for 20 weeks

Tbh I’m finding it a little challenging but I’m going to stick at it. I definitely need therapy to deal with what’s happened to me. It’s a lot. We’re lucky here we get 20 free sessions a year.

That’s fantastic that it’s free, Shayna! I found it challenging at times too, but worth it. One of the things I had trouble with specifically is some of the weird physical symptoms of benzo withdrawal. I made it work though.

I think I struggle with when they ask u to specifically think of how u feel with doing the eye movement. I find my thoughts drift. Again I do that with meditation too it’s so frustrating.