Stomach Healing Support

[So...]

Hey Cant,

It's been a while. I didn't want to report back until I got more testing done that you and I "talked" about. All this GI stuff has been a nightmare. I'm not sure what I told you last, but I did have the full abdominal ultrasound. Everything was fine. Still curious as to what this "sensation" is. My physical therapist said he felt a muscle trigger point in my diaphragm, so who knows. This sensation thing has been in my upper abdomen on the right side just below my ribs. All the nausea and clenching got out of control too. I was so sick on Thanksgiving day and then had bouts again off and on for a while, but things were never right. Diarrhea for a few days, then constipation, then diarrhea, etc. Didn't make any sense. Especially the part about feeling hungry yet being so sick at my stomach at the same time. Just flat out weird. The intense stress at this sickening job of mine has just gotten worse. I'm trying really hard to find something else, but it's hard when you're in a small town and 58 yrs old. Finances are miserable, at best, right now. Long story, but I went back to the gastroenterologist for another visit. He doesn't understand the klonopin taper, but he respects it and knows that withdrawal of any kind can be hazardous to our GI systems. With all of the nausea and weird "feelings" in my abdomen, he recommended a colonoscopy since it's been 9 years since my last one (I had a polyp at that time...not cancerous). He also recommended an upper endoscopy if I could swing it financially. I couldn't swing it, but I decided to go farther in debt for it so I could get some answers or at least learn that it's all just something else to chalk up to the taper. I had everything done in the outpatient surgical center on Friday. Everything looked hunky dory and clear...both the colonoscopy and upper endo. Throw in a clear abdominal ultrasound and it makes me think it's yet just more taper craziness causing all of this. The doc showed me tons of really clear pictures from the colonoscopy and upper. Pretty amazing images, but I'm just glad all was clear. I was a basket case leading up to the procedure and immediately afterwards until I got the good news. Next!!

I hope you had a super Christmas and I hope your 2019 is ridiculously awesome. Take care!

Jeff

Hi Jeff..

I have to say, It does seem a pretty fine diet hope has..!! :)

Well you have been busy..!! Im glad it gives some POM..

Maybe it gives you hope when I share that my GI has improved significantly of late... It goes backwards with each lyrica wave, but bounces back in no time.. Far from perfect, but this was my dominating problem from way back, as you know...

I hope you see your own continued improvment over time...

For my own interest, on a larger topic, can I ask if you have a significant antibiotic history..?? Sorry, I cant see your sig from here...

Hope your Xmas n new yr went well..??

:)

Howdy! No, no antibiotic history to speak of. I try really hard to stay away from those things. Lots of horror stories out there. A doc tried to put me on a flouroquinolone last year, and I ran really fast the other way.

Have yourself a fantastic 2019. We'll stay in touch!!

Jeff

Thanks Jeff...

I hope its your year too...!!

Thanks on the ABs... :)  Good instincts there Imo..  (aside the peramiters of "need"..)

I am reading a book involving antibiotics, which im finding intreaging... I may post a link when finished...

A good day to you Jeff,

-and all Buddies Here...

NJ, -In my thoughts as always...

Can't, just seeing this now two weeks after you posted it. Thanks for the thoughts. The 16yo still doesn't feel well, awaiting a blood test result that is supposed to be 90 percent accurate in determining if he has Crohns. i really hope that isn't it, but after 5 months of all this testing, would like an answer. Have other bloodwork Monday. He is on an appetite stimulant for past two weeks and has gained four pounds, so that is an improvement. But that means he is 111 pounds at 5'10", which is very, very, very low for his height. He should be at least in the 140s for a low normal, and that is a long way off.  The med makes him very tired though, so that is frustrating. I just want him to feel better. My therapist has said that certain years of your life are just shit, and I hate that at 16 he is having one of those years now.

My tummy is a bit up and down still, mostly due to stress with him and hormones I think. Just turned 50 so this is an adventure. Still holding the Klonopin and wanting to taper the remeron but a bit afraid to tackle that now.

Hope you are doing okay.

Thanks NJ,

I wanted to get back to you earlier, but crap and splat... The lyrica jump wiped me out...

I hope you guys have more answers by now, and the stressors you mentioned elsewhere have abated... (snow, -flights and kids away)

I think this can all be such a long and complex journey, -that for some/many of us strategy and a long game plan is critical... I look back at the permanent costs of this on C16 and am heartbroken, so I realy hope for the best, and timely resolution for you both..

In my thoughts...

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ul...]

• [NJ...]

• [So...]

• [Ca...]

Top Posters In This Topic

It's relieving to see others were also experienced testicle pain during their experiences. I wonder if my chronic epididymitis is actually a result of benzos or WD.

I've been having pain under my lower right ribs, I suppose about where my liver should be, since the beginning of my taper. I notice others mentioning pain in that same area. I've had bloodwork done about a year before I began to taper and it didn't find anything abnormal. I had an ultrasound for my kidneys, but they were in that area under my ribs too, and nothing strange popped out. What could the pain under the lower right ribs be?

I learned that my chronic epid. was due to the taper because it never happened before that time, but I guess it could also have been due to the benzo itself. I never felt a thing during the initial 24 years of taking the drug, but who knows!!?? Crazy stuff, for sure. I'm still glad I saw the urologist and got the testing done. Peace of mind.

Lower-right ribs? Is it actually "pain" or is it just a sensation that something is there? Mine definitely wasn't/isn't painful, but it was odd and felt like a little something was just there...like I wanted to reach in and pull out a little ball or something. The trigger point that my PT found in my diaphragm made total sense. My taper has caused SO many muscle contractions that weren't supposed to be happening. The diaphragm is another muscle, so I guess anything is possible. When I feel it now, I just poke a couple of my fingers up into the area under my rib and I then "pull up" in order to stretch the diaphragm...I take a deep breath in while holding the muscle, and then let everything out and relax. This helps me instantly. Still, the gastro. thought he could get a really good look at things with the ultrasound as well as the upper endoscopy (in addition to my colonoscopy). All was fine and I'm doing fine.

Let me know how you're doing these days!

Jeff

New to the thread here but not to Benzo WD. Around month 16 I started getting ton of stomach pains that become very crippling. Just looking to see what has helped others. I’ve had Benzo belly from the start of WD but it’s a much different pain and sensation than that.

Tommy, welcome to the thread! I did something that helped me out quite a bit...I read this whole thread from the beginning and saw some suggestions. Give a shot and fill us in with more details of the pain you're feeling. Mine was just really different...like a ball was under my ribs on the right side.

Take care!

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff. I should specify I had epid. as a child once (pre-benzos), fixed with Cipro at the time, but lately it has really flared.

The feeling under the ribs does seem like a sharp painful pressure and strange muscle contractions makes complete sense, perhaps even for triggering epid. I have actually been digging my fingers in under my ribs already wondering what feels so strange, so yes, you're spot on with the reasoning - thank you!! This experience has been a real anatomy and pharmaceutical lesson. Maybe I'll switch career paths to become a pharmacist!

Thanks, Jeff. I should specify I had epid. as a child once (pre-benzos), fixed with Cipro at the time, but lately it has really flared.

The feeling under the ribs does seem like a sharp painful pressure and strange muscle contractions makes complete sense, perhaps even for triggering epid. I have actually been digging my fingers in under my ribs already wondering what feels so strange, so yes, you're spot on with the reasoning - thank you!! This experience has been a real anatomy and pharmaceutical lesson. Maybe I'll switch career paths to become a pharmacist!

Well, if you become a pharmacists, then make sure to not give out benzos!!! :)

Jeff

I too have that pain under the ribs too on the right side, it becomes severe with anxiety. It kept me awake last night. I have it ever since I started benzos. For me it seems to associated with my breathing at times, which made me wonder if it has to do with the diaphragm. Its also bad after a large meal.

I wonder what the heck it is??

Ultra2007 Jeff,

Sorry, didn't see your post till today.  It's a GEL, it looks like a GEL not water.  It's a GEL all the way.  It's good bcuz it clings to the intestines soothing them and helps with digestion as well.  Sometimes it helps with some nausea too.

I too have that pain under the ribs too on the right side, it becomes severe with anxiety. It kept me awake last night. I have it ever since I started benzos. For me it seems to associated with my breathing at times, which made me wonder if it has to do with the diaphragm. Its also bad after a large meal.

I wonder what the heck it is??

Exact same for me!! Mine is SO much better since my PT found the trigger point in my diaphragm.  I do the thing where I "stretch" it several times a day and it's mostly gone. Sure wish I would've learned that before spending all the time and money on the ultrasound, colonoscopy, upper endoscopy, etc. Learn and live :)

Take care!

Jeff

Ultra2007 Jeff,

Sorry, didn't see your post till today.  It's a GEL, it looks like a GEL not water.  It's a GEL all the way.  It's good bcuz it clings to the intestines soothing them and helps with digestion as well.  Sometimes it helps with some nausea too.

Got it. Thank you for the guidance!

Jeff

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the reply  :) What stretch do you do? I do get muscle spasms in that area too so I wonder if it might be related.. when I was withdrawing the pain under my ribs was unreal!

I have the pain under my ribs really bad. I’ve had it for years. I also have what feels like my intestines are in spasms . I’ve been through a lot due to benzodiazepines. I am curious if anyone has had the feeling of spasms or like something that knots up and moves, like maybe what a hernia might feel like, only I’ve had more test then you can imagine and they show nothingis wrong. Would like to follow here because the stomach issues have been really bad for me.

Jackie  :smitten: :smitten:

I have the pain under my ribs really bad. I’ve had it for years. I also have what feels like my intestines are in spasms . I’ve been through a lot due to benzodiazepines. I am curious if anyone has had the feeling of spasms or like something that knots up and moves, like maybe what a hernia might feel like, only I’ve had more test then you can imagine and they show nothingis wrong. Would like to follow here because the stomach issues have been really bad for me.

Jackie  :smitten: :smitten:

Hey Mate... Throw "Peristalsis Spasticity" into the search box and you should find some of my earlier posts here...  -maybe it relates a bit..??

Sing out if you need...

Hi Cantfly, I typed that in but only came up with this post. What kind of stuff have you had with your stomach and do you still have it?

Thanks so much!

Jackie  :smitten:

I've been trying Celery and parsley juice.  I put it in the blender and blend it with water and strain it.  It is supposed to take down inflammation which is 90% of a lot of sicknesses.  And it will keep you regular.

Not really having tummy problems right now.  I did have ulcers but since I've been on the Keto diet and Intermittent Fasting and the Aloe Vera Gel, it seems to have cleared up.  Although I am having constipation more often lately.  And I get cramps in my tummy from the WD.  Other than that, I just keep taking my Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil and Probiotics when I wake up and I use the Aloe Vera Gel and I avoid all sugar except Blueberry smoothies which is good for the brain.  I think the diet has helped my gut to heal.  But remember I'm only at 10mg and still have a way to go to get off this medicine, so I don't know what awaits me in the future.

You sound good. How do you do Intermittent Fasting? And how do you use Aloe Vera gel? Sorry for asking so many questions. I’m sure your diet is helping you. I need to be stricter. Just keep doing what your doing. I think you will do good. You sound more disciplined then me.

:smitten:

Hi Cantfly, I typed that in but only came up with this post. What kind of stuff have you had with your stomach and do you still have it?

Thanks so much!

My problems came from other meds, but the benzos sure didnt help... The worst was that my small intestines wouldnt work and its associated spinchters wouldnt relax... lots of cramping and spasticity, -no effective peristalsis..  So not my stomach as such... I didnt suffer nausia or reflux etc..

Its what dictated my slow taper speed, but is improving out of sight now... -except for when my overall SX are bad for whatever reason... ie jumping off lyrica recently...

Without getting too bogged down in my particular situation (and I did use a med prucalopride to help through the worst of it), It was general stuff like avoiding bread/pizza and other "heavy" foods, plus time, that helped the most... Im sure that could be improved upon with the suggestions that others here have too...

Thank you Cant, I think giving up breads and stuff like that will help me a lot. I feel better when I don’t eat those things. You have certainly been through a lot and I thank you for sharing with me. I was almost put on Lyrica but instead opted for Mirtezapine which I will still have to get off from at some point. Oh the joys of pharmaceuticals, not!

Thanks bunches!

Jackie,

I take the Aloe Vera Gel when I have tummy problems. It also helps you digest your food besides coating your intestines so they can heal.  I only take it when I have problems with my stomach.  They suggest to take a cup a day of you do have problems.

The Keto you can find online...describes how to do it.  It's not hard.  Intermittent fasting is whatever you want it to be.  The least is 12 hours w/o eating.  You can do that by stopping eating like at 5 or 6 pm. and don't eat till 6 am the next morning.  If you want to eat later at night, then you can stop eating at 8 pm. and then don't eat again till 8 the next morning.  Then if you want to take it to 16-18 hour fast then you stop eating at say 6 p.m. then don't eat till 10 a.m. the next day.  If you want brain healing to occur, the 16 hour fast is the best one and the lack of food also helps the body heal itself. 

I have been on this since July, 2017.  So now I kind of cycle bcuz I'm too thin from the benzos.  I didn't do this to lose any weight, I did it to give my body a chance to heal and to get more BDNF into my brain to heal it and/or keep the Benzos from doing further damage to my brain.  (Brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF)  Only way to get that is Taking Resveratrol AND fasting and exercise.

I was sick a lot in my younger years which led me to research supplements and ways to heal my body, maybe that is why I am disciplined.  I stopped eating refined sugar at 18 years old when I came down with Hypoglycemia from dieting.  So I learned what not to eat anyway.  Unfortunately, I did NOT learn the damages of ADIVAN which my GP poisoned me with.  I wish I head been warned.

Hope this works for you.  Do the research.

• 1 month later...

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the reply  :) What stretch do you do? I do get muscle spasms in that area too so I wonder if it might be related.. when I was withdrawing the pain under my ribs was unreal!

Howdy Optimist! I'm sorry, I didn't see your post here until today...much later than when you posted it. Anyway, I grab the bottom-right side of my rib cage with my right hand. My fingers sort of "curl up" into the rib cage while my thumb and palm lays on top of the ribs. I then pull on the rib cage like I'm trying to pull it towards my right shoulder. I then take a deep breath in, hold it for a few seconds, then exhale while trying to hold the rib cage in place (upwards). The rib cage will want to go downwards, but I try as hard as I can to hold it in place. The exhale is where the stretch of the diaphragm happens. I hold that for about 10 seconds and then repeat. I'll do it at various times throughout the day and it really helps a lot. Like I said, I don't really feel a pain under the rib cage. It just sometimes feels like something is there. I can't really describe it. It's more noticeable soon after I eat and I can almost always feel it when I'm lying on my back on the floor. I'm on my back often to do stretches for my low back.

I hope some of that makes sense! Again, I apologize for being so late in responding.

Take care,

Jeff