Stomach Healing Support

[So...]

That is good news! It also blows my mind that benzo withdrawal can affect us this way so much. It so non linear, but have you had a window in these seven months? I suppose you may call it a small widow that you are feeling better since you stopped the dairy. Many times are not so much allergic to the lactose but whey and casein. What has the doc told you then about the nausea? Did he prescribe you anything like phenergan or something? I can feel your frustration and desperation, and I wish I could tell you that it will pass. This is why I read some success stories to encourage me because at this point in my withdrawal I don't see it coming yet.

Peace and love my friend!

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ul...]

• [NJ...]

• [So...]

• [Ca...]

Top Posters In This Topic

This report comes from the Ashton Manual which I hope can help us understand our GI issues better. We can always hope that this will pass away one day; until then, all we have to do is ride this the best we can:

"Digestive problems. Some people have no problems at all with their digestive systems during or after withdrawal, and may even notice that they are enjoying their food more. Others, perhaps more prone constitutionally, may complain of a range of symptoms associated with "irritable bowel syndrome" (IBS). These can include nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, constipation, abdominal pain, flatulence, gaseous distension and heartburn. Quite a few have found these symptoms so uncomfortable that they have undergone hospital gastrointestinal investigations, but usually no abnormality is found. The symptoms may be partly due to overactivity in the autonomic nervous system, which controls the motility and secretions of the gut and is very reactive to stress, including the stress of benzodiazepine withdrawal. In addition, there are benzodiazepine receptors in the gut. It is not clear what the functions of these receptors are or how they are affected by benzodiazepines or benzodiazepine withdrawal, but alterations in these receptors may play some part in increasing gut irritability.

Considerable loss of weight (8-10lb or more) sometimes occurs in withdrawal. This may be due to a rebound effect on appetite, since benzodiazepines have been shown to increase appetite in animals. On the other hand, some people gain weight in withdrawal. In any case, weight changes are not severe enough to worry about and normal weight is soon regained after withdrawal. A few people have difficulty in swallowing food - the throat seems to tighten up especially if eating in company. This is usually a sign of anxiety and is well-known in anxiety states. Practising relaxation, eating alone, taking small well chewed mouthfuls with sips of liquid and not hurrying make things easier and the symptom settles as anxiety levels decline.

Most digestive symptoms get better after withdrawal but in a few people they persist and become a protracted symptom, raising fears of food allergy or candida infection. These questions are discussed further in the section on protracted symptoms."

Hi everyone. I'm also struggling with long term GI issues. I took up running a year ago and am struggling with stomach discomfort during running. The most I've run is 5k. It happens towards the end of the run, I don't run that fast even!  Does anyone else run and have stomach issues? I'm also wondering is it because my core strength may be weak? I'm trying to improve this at the gym,

That is good news! It also blows my mind that benzo withdrawal can affect us this way so much. It so non linear, but have you had a window in these seven months? I suppose you may call it a small widow that you are feeling better since you stopped the dairy. Many times are not so much allergic to the lactose but whey and casein. What has the doc told you then about the nausea? Did he prescribe you anything like phenergan or something? I can feel your frustration and desperation, and I wish I could tell you that it will pass. This is why I read some success stories to encourage me because at this point in my withdrawal I don't see it coming yet.

Peace and love my friend!

I have had some windows in seven months but honestly not much relief. I have compazine (zofran does not work) but honestly I can take a boatload of compazine and still get sick. I just don't know if I should hold longer or start cutting and hope this passes. It is affecting the quality of my life immensely. So depressing to feel like this every single day.

I am not a runner, but I used to very active before my jump until I developed exercise intolerance and lots of GI issues. I have found out that Gatorade helps me settle my stomach, are you trying to replenish your electrolytes when running? I could be that you may be dehydrated, especially if you say that this happens a the end of the run.

I know is depressing to have awful symptoms almost every day. It's been four months with me and the gastritis and IBS is relentless. I don't know if this is still partly caused by the withdrawal or not anymore. Last night I had some chicken soup and I was in pain from bloating and developed a headache, had a hard time sleeping. I don't know what else to do.

NoMore: I wish I could run! I think a lot of people experience GI issues while running. My husband runs and doesn't have GI issues, but because he does no strength training has injured himself so strengthening your core might help prevent injury.

I tried a new medical marijuana strain yesterday and it totally got rid of the nausea. Feeling pretty good today too. Unfortunately, even a small dose made me too impaired to use regularly but making a liquid titration today of it so hopefully I can take very small doses and it still might help. Also picked up a strain that is supposedly non psychoactive but still has good reports for nausea. I need the nausea to go away. My mental health is so much better today than it has been in weeks without the nausea. I hate to used the marijuana but my husband says I need to treat it like medicine and not feel bad. I really need to start tapering again--have been holding for two months and plan to start again in mid-September once a work event is over.

NJ:

I hope you can continue taper without problems and the marijuana can help you. If it does? Do you have to wean off of that also? or how is the law regarding the use of it in legal states? Do you have a doctor that regulates the prescription? I am just curious.

NJ:

I hope you can continue taper without problems and the marijuana can help you. If it does? Do you have to wean off of that also? or how is the law regarding the use of it in legal states? Do you have a doctor that regulates the prescription? I am just curious.

I am in a legal state for medical marijuana, so I got a card in June. It is not legal without a card. I have a dr. who loosely oversees this--he fills out paperwork every three months. From all that I have read, while you can build a dependence or tolerance, it is not the horror show that benzos are in terms of needing to wean off. I am trying to approach this as any other medicine, if I have nausea, I should take it. It is just difficult to find a strain that does not leave me impaired and helps with the nausea. I also want smoke or vape so need to rely on either an edible or an alcohol tincture I make myself. It is a pain to do all this, but if I find some relief, it will be worth it. The nausea is really causing depression and shaking my confidence in my ability to move forward. I still have a lot to taper and am starting a new job soon. I need to be as well as I can be. I am still finding my way and it is difficult to navigate so much medical stuff completely on your own, just like my benzo taper.

NJ: I completely understand how difficult it is to endure all of this and to wanting to move forward with life. If I lived in a 'legal' state, I probably would have tried marijuana since I actually believe in its medicinal properties. Hope you feel better soon.

My stomach issues are so much better now. No more brutal boating, pressure, and pain. My appetite is back, and I can eat more foods without horrible consequences, not even reflux...yeah! I think I am healing. In my case, the omeprazole has really helped me;so I will start weaning off of it soon. I will continue with the fodmap diet for awhile though. I do feel very hopeful and happy about this because I can continue with my goals and, God willing, write a success story on my year mark. I feel so well that I am planning a trip to Washington DC this weekend.

Peace, love, and healing everyone!

NJ: I completely understand how difficult it is to endure all of this and to wanting to move forward with life. If I lived in a 'legal' state, I probably would have tried marijuana since I actually believe in its medicinal properties. Hope you feel better soon.

My stomach issues are so much better now. No more brutal boating, pressure, and pain. My appetite is back, and I can eat more foods without horrible consequences, not even reflux...yeah! I think I am healing. In my case, the omeprazole has really helped me;so I will start weaning off of it soon. I will continue with the fodmap diet for awhile though. I do feel very hopeful and happy about this because I can continue with my goals and, God willing, write a success story on my year mark. I feel so well that I am planning a trip to Washington DC this weekend.

Peace, love, and healing everyone!

Thanks for letting us know how you are doing! I am glad you are feeling better. I love Washington DC ... enjoy it. Hopefully not too hot!

Hello to the group. I am suffering from LAryngooisofagical reflux for months if not years. But I only find out about a year ago. I started lorazepam in 2011 had a break then started regular use in 2014. Since then I have MORE LOR/Gerd....  This led me to believe that benzos are linked to my LOR but I cannot prove it.

I always was food abuser , always ate giant meals and udually junk food, so I cannot acuse benzos, logic should accuse myself abusing food quantity and nasty non-healthy food, for a decade,....

Now on a trip to lose 30 kilograms and go down from 3 mg ativan per day to no ativan per day :))

I am about to get yet another gastro meeting, because even with PPis the bloating and the reflux didnt stop, so they have to investigate why.  Bit scared about what type of tests await for me. For sure gastroscopy, then maybe colonoscopy then these disgusting one  with the barium etc.... anyone done and can give some words of wisdom/support?

I have had an endoscopy. Not sure if that corresponds to what you are doing. It was fine. No issues. I would definitely get the tests done, better safe than sorry. Feel better.

I am healing from five months of awful gastritis and weaning off the ppi finally; still I have to watch what I eat. Losing weight will help some as is portion control and learning to avoid or eat in moderation the foods that trigger your issue. I take 1mg melatonin at night and seems to help with my reflux. Mine is minimal, but as soon as I deviate from my diet or take advil, I start feeling it again. I suck on Lozanges of Slippery Elm that you can find on WF. DGL has helped me tremendously as Aloe Vera juice. Being on a ppi is not good because of the side effects. So try your best to find natural/alternative ways to deal with this. It can be done. It is hard, but it is doable. Diet is key, exercise, and meditation can also help.

Anyone on here know of any good tests to do to examine gut/stomach health?

I have so many food intolerances and the way food sits in me feels different, I keep getting worse nearing 9 months off. I want to make sure Im doing everything I can to heal.

I have also developed food intolerances the last 9 months.

There are many standard tests ... hpylori, endoscopy/colonoscopy, gastric emptying are just a few I can think of. Try to find a good gastroenterologist. Feel better soon.

I will try Aloe Vera Juice and DGL for sure, I think I saw some research online related to them. My favorite supplements brand is Holland and Barret (cause im in EU) but I know some American ones are superior yet I dont have any way to access them.

I already bought a processor and i need now a blender too to make smoothies for 20 days or so. My stomach has trouble with solid food as my digestion doesnt exist somehow. I read that taking a ''digestive enzymes pill'' will help. Trying that now.

I will see the doctor next week (had to wait, gastros seem to be the busiest doctors these days.... bad sign....)

Guessing she will send me for gastroscopy sedated version and maybe colonoscopy.  I already had too many nostril-scopy with the doctor saying ''yea, you have a lot of reflux, but you are aok''.

Hahah, ok for now, but not the next  5 years if I dont find a treatment or it soon....  REflux can cause other more serious issues. Its not just a nuisance.

I dont know what to do as progress has been super slow with gastros giving ppis merely telling me ''take this for life''. Now I feel i have to take my own health in my own hands,  plus I had non-gastros (pathologists) tell me ''get  a gastroscopy done''. Funny...

So to recap:

DIET

-  smoothie based diet (with enough calories from healthy butters to avoid rapid weight loss) and  mushy food as far as solid goes

for 20 days

- take ''digestive enzyme'' pill to aid digestion

- some say I can have  a bit of apple cider for digestion but im not sure yet

- buy aloe vera  pure juice

- buy DGL (i hate the capsules so i wil buy chewy)

- eat bio-foods and replace milky prodcuts with coconut based products

STRESS

- get some exercise, sauna, hot showers, DESTRESS as much as possbile (cause stress can stop digestion!!!)

HEALTH TESTS

- gastroscopy

- colonoscopy

- barium breath test (to test ph of the stomach, see if its low in acid or why digestion is so sluggist)

- allergy doctor to determine which foods do not like to go in my stomach / blood stream and causing me tummy issues/gerd

- urine test and urine culture, and blood test for antibodies to HPYlori / Candida, to determine fungus and bugs in the stomach and other parts of the GI

- any other test?? if you done some test that help you find out more about your GI, lets us  now.

From what i understand, in my case, my problem is that my stomach doesnt work as it should. It doesnt digests well and the foods go to the colon undigested. I am not sure if benzos play a role. Only one study from the 90s shows that those who take benzos before sleep have gerd because benzos relax the valve between stomach and oisofagus.... But only ONE research links the two, no other mentioning in pubmed (where I go for research articles).

Its a lot struggle to find out whats going on wrong with us and having to deal with benzos alongside too, is making it far more difficult. May God or whatever you believe in, help you , and help me

For those having trouble, it might help to assess transit times.. Peristalsis can be affected and even go spastic. also affecting internal sphincters.. These sphincters can lock up, throwing the whole GI system out to varying degrees..

I had great success after exhausting all medical options with a 5HT 4 agonist found in prucalopride..

I just mention this as something to look into if needed, I remember some benzo related info in ncbi papers when looking at it from an opiate standpoint...

Avoiding bread and pizza helps me too.. :)

Best wishes..

I will try Aloe Vera Juice and DGL for sure, I think I saw some research online related to them. My favorite supplements brand is Holland and Barret (cause im in EU) but I know some American ones are superior yet I dont have any way to access them.

I already bought a processor and i need now a blender too to make smoothies for 20 days or so. My stomach has trouble with solid food as my digestion doesnt exist somehow. I read that taking a ''digestive enzymes pill'' will help. Trying that now.

I will see the doctor next week (had to wait, gastros seem to be the busiest doctors these days.... bad sign....)

Guessing she will send me for gastroscopy sedated version and maybe colonoscopy.  I already had too many nostril-scopy with the doctor saying ''yea, you have a lot of reflux, but you are aok''.

Hahah, ok for now, but not the next  5 years if I dont find a treatment or it soon....  REflux can cause other more serious issues. Its not just a nuisance.

I dont know what to do as progress has been super slow with gastros giving ppis merely telling me ''take this for life''. Now I feel i have to take my own health in my own hands,  plus I had non-gastros (pathologists) tell me ''get  a gastroscopy done''. Funny...

So to recap:

DIET

-  smoothie based diet (with enough calories from healthy butters to avoid rapid weight loss) and  mushy food as far as solid goes

for 20 days

- take ''digestive enzyme'' pill to aid digestion

- some say I can have  a bit of apple cider for digestion but im not sure yet

- buy aloe vera  pure juice

- buy DGL (i hate the capsules so i wil buy chewy)

- eat bio-foods and replace milky prodcuts with coconut based products

STRESS

- get some exercise, sauna, hot showers, DESTRESS as much as possbile (cause stress can stop digestion!!!)

HEALTH TESTS

- gastroscopy

- colonoscopy

- barium breath test (to test ph of the stomach, see if its low in acid or why digestion is so sluggist)

- allergy doctor to determine which foods do not like to go in my stomach / blood stream and causing me tummy issues/gerd

- urine test and urine culture, and blood test for antibodies to HPYlori / Candida, to determine fungus and bugs in the stomach and other parts of the GI

- any other test?? if you done some test that help you find out more about your GI, lets us  now.

From what i understand, in my case, my problem is that my stomach doesnt work as it should. It doesnt digests well and the foods go to the colon undigested. I am not sure if benzos play a role. Only one study from the 90s shows that those who take benzos before sleep have gerd because benzos relax the valve between stomach and oisofagus.... But only ONE research links the two, no other mentioning in pubmed (where I go for research articles).

Its a lot struggle to find out whats going on wrong with us and having to deal with benzos alongside too, is making it far more difficult. May God or whatever you believe in, help you , and help me

I would just be hesitant to go to an all liquid diet if you can avoid that. I think that can cause more problems than it solves--we are meant to eat food not just drink it. I don't know all the particularly so cannot comment. There are different diets that my doctor has tried me on--low FODMAP, no gluten, etc. I have stopped eating meat and dairy which has helped me, but we are all different. Good luck.

Hi guys/gals, I decided to try a keto diet the one based on Dr. Robillards book about naturally treating Gerd with a diet very similar to keto.

In my particular case, veges can cause havoc to my GI...  that sad cause I always want to become vegetarian eventually. YET even in keto diet, some people say they can still be vegies, if they just know which veges are ''highly fermentable'' and avoid those. Thats the concept in Dr. Robillard's book. (disclaimer: I have zero affiliation with this doc I just say I will follow his book for treating my GERD symptoms).

I am now for 1 month out of ppis (nexium) and have constant REFLUX. Ok its boring and not everyone has this symptom while on WD. Most people mention throwing up though and an upset stomach when on WD..... And Gerd is a form of throwing up right?:(( Sorry for this disgusting message.

Our stomachs certainly do not stomach benzo withdrawal.....  When I withdrew cold (not even taper, but cold turkey , cause I didnt know i have to do taper simply), from tranxene, i was throwing up about twice/week for a year :/  I read that MANY OTHERS have the same symptom (throwing up that is).  My god, what type of drug is this that affects the brain as much as the stomach!

Hi guys/gals, I decided to try a keto diet the one based on Dr. Robillards book about naturally treating Gerd with a diet very similar to keto.

In my particular case, veges can cause havoc to my GI...  that sad cause I always want to become vegetarian eventually. YET even in keto diet, some people say they can still be vegies, if they just know which veges are ''highly fermentable'' and avoid those. Thats the concept in Dr. Robillard's book. (disclaimer: I have zero affiliation with this doc I just say I will follow his book for treating my GERD symptoms).

I am now for 1 month out of ppis (nexium) and have constant REFLUX. Ok its boring and not everyone has this symptom while on WD. Most people mention throwing up though and an upset stomach when on WD..... And Gerd is a form of throwing up right?:(( Sorry for this disgusting message.

Our stomachs certainly do not stomach benzo withdrawal.....  When I withdrew cold (not even taper, but cold turkey , cause I didnt know i have to do taper simply), from tranxene, i was throwing up about twice/week for a year :/  I read that MANY OTHERS have the same symptom (throwing up that is).  My god, what type of drug is this that affects the brain as much as the stomach!

Melatonin can also hep with GERD and reflux. I am not sure why but it does.

I am one of the ones who have had a lot of stomach issues. I get sick to my stomach about twice a month. I am nauseous almost every day, it's a bit better with using my medical marijuana. There are very few foods left I can eat. The brain and belly are very connected, so that is why withdrawal messes with our stomachs. Feel better.

Hello all,

I just found this group.  I have been having significant GI distress for several months.  I see my dr on the 10th.  That is the soonest I could get in.  Since I have so many H. Pylori symptoms I did some research and have begun taking Mastic gum twice daily in capsule form.  I'm about 25% better after a week.  I have decreased prilosec from 40 mg. to 20 mg.  I'm also doing manuka honey. 

I will ask for the breath test when I see my dr.  I want to get off the Prilosec but know from past experience  that I have to taper it or the rebound gerd is miserable.

Thank you for starting this topic. G.

Yea I remember in pubmed I saw some articles on mastic,will not forget to buy that too soon.

OMG im going to spend on supplements but didn't see any change with PPis that last, so why not.

Just read that Colostrum and Mastic gum helped someone (on amazon reviews) beat candida. Candida, and H Pylori and other bugs have been linked to bloating and reflux sometimes (sorry I lack the concentration right now to link you to specific articles, but please research what I write before considering it)

I am convinced Lorazepam/Ativan has caused me Gi issues that go beyond mere indigestion. I now hate this drug more than ever.

And now im a bit lost about supplements about LPR/GERD and withdrawal:/    I have so many supplements to try and each of them is not cheap either. One of them costs `120 dollars per bottle. I will try to focus a bit on pubmet research site and be sure what supplements I buy/invest on  are at least scientifically proven a bit and not just famed to help.

Its indeed interesting how many natural supplements are in scientific articles already with proven healing properties yet doctors will only prescribe benzos or PPis :( 

The only doctors that take a healhtier approach on illness are the ''functional medicine'' doctors. They try to heal the cause not just the symptoms.

It was a doctor who first got me on benzos, for mere anxiety (i didnt even have insomnia!). So I dont trust them anymore. I trust medical researchers instead. Researchers usually (and normally) do not make money from patients so its not in their interest to NOT make a patient healthy.

I am currently  on just the mastic gum and manuka honey.  This morning my GI tract feels close to normal.  I bought some DGL and took it for a few days but experienced some anxiety so I stopped taking it.  The anxiety was not likely from the DGL but I decided to just stick to a simpler regimen for now.

I agree about functional med doctors.  Unfortunately there are none in my area.

I read many reviews on mastic gum and the vast majority were very positive.  I also agree about lorazepam which I am very slowly tapering with long holds when needed to get stable.

I have also been very closely watching what I eat.  In addition I take digestive enzymes prior to each meal.  My meals are small and I wait several hours before eating again.  My stomach feels full after just a small amount of food now. 

I do research on everything before I consider it.  I wish you well. G.

Thank you Gingermint. I am forced now to have small meals like you, and not exactly hard food but kind of liquid or mushy. I have all the symptoms of gastroparesis but without a gastroscopy I dont know yet for sure.

I am a bit concerned about swalling pills cause I have LPR/GERD and downing pills is not easy. Ativan is tiny:) But vitamin and supplement are big capsules or big chalky pills. I cannot down them unless I break them or dilute, which is not always allowed to do so.

So now i try to find licorice etc in tincture/liquid pharmaceutical formats instead of pills, but its not easy.

I dont know why drinking water creates GERD and why its more pleasant when its ice cold than warm or room temp.

Anyways, the GI issues during withdrawal are depressing to all of us, so I wish all of us a lot of patience. From my withdrawal from Tranxene, previously, I know its 1 year minimum ahead (from the day of my last benzo), with symptoms, until I feel normal again:/ But I must take this road, I cannot use benzos anymore, they seem to be connected to problems i never had before starting them.

I think the ice cold fluid brings down the inflammation.  The water doesn't create the gerd, it just irritates the already present irritation.  Have you raised the head of your bed a few inches?  It can help with the gerd.  Also, large capsules I empty into a bit of applesauce.  G.