Why do I smoke? Help me understand how addictions work, please

[ma...]

I quit 2 months and 12 days ago.

Loads of people on here told me not to as I would get hit hard with withdrawals and it wouldn't be wise to go through benzo and this. Well guys i can say that life for me has improved so much since I quit. I have more energy, I can workout more and my anxiety diminished so much. I guess the reason for half my panic attacks during the day was because of smoking.

Yeah I did gain weight the first month but now I'm on track losing it.

I quit with an e cig and lowered the nicotine levels every 2 weeks.

My uncle passed away 6 days after I quit, If i didn't smoke, drink or take a Valium then I'm sure I'll never have to ever again. This withdrawal has shown me how strong mentally I've really become. I just need this damn anxiety, dizziness, dr/dp that comes out of nowhere to go away and ill be healed.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ca...]

• [ma...]

• [Ol...]

• [Es...]

:clap: YAY rickatu!!!!! Awesome awesome job! I was told the same thing about quitting during withdrawals and I too felt much better and less anxiety after I quit. Who knew?  :yippee:

:clap: YAY rickatu!!!!! Awesome awesome job! I was told the same thing about quitting during withdrawals and I too felt much better and less anxiety after I quit. Who knew?  :yippee:

:smitten:

Good for you. The whole "quit one thing at a time" idea as far as for cigarettes, (maybe not psych meds) isn't true because they are really bad for you. Once you get over the 3 month hump you really start to feel better in every way. If you have been smoking for a long time especially it may take some time before you actually feel better. But you get immediate benefits. Overall, I think it is important because a lot of us have chronic pain and neuropathies in our bodies and brains. Not smoking reduces all that inflammation. I personally can't heal right if I smoke. It really bothers me. I get nasty headaches and cigarettes are not even enjoyable. Keep it up rickatu. You won't miss it after 6 months. It takes a good year to really not get cravings anymore but you need to always keep your guard up

On a kind of funny note.. I dream about smoking almost every night!!!! I didn't think it was that weird for the first couple of months but here I am nearing 6 months and they are still regularly in my dreams. I am often smoking or trying to find cigs or someone gives me the wrong brand etc.. anyway it is kind of annoying but not that big of a deal, I would rather be dreaming about something more enjoyable! I don't even crave them in waking life anymore. It is a good reminder of how deeply ingrained smoking is in my subconscious and never to ever take one more puff. NOPE.  :nono:

Mamoot - Thank you for the tips and yes it was the best thing I could've done for my body.  I must say I do get a craving right after I eat or if I'm stressed. It'd be great if those went away as well so all in due time.  Breaking an 8 year habit isn't easy at all but it is very doable especially with support groups.

Cantfly - Thanks! you can do this! Alan Carr saved my life, anytime it gets hard I go back to his book. Remember smoking is nothing but an illusion and nicotine is a powerful drug.

Olivekitty -  I had my first smoking dream 3 weeks out and it was so weird!! I literally was chain smoking and felt myself inhaling smoke. Hopefully your dreams subside in the near future.

Yay to nonsmokers!! 

Thank you very much for the response. I think my ms is messing with me and I don’t understand it all right now, as well as between neurologist. Havnt begun taper but having [bad upper back and shoulder blade pain]but I don’t want to take muscle relaxers(hate)or any of the normal things they’d script for ms pain & cant can I if I’m going to taper can I? I don’t even want to take nsaids or Tylenol too much for obvious reasons[has to be ms some of my first symptoms,the pain there, much fatigue and some insomnia]

Hi Scaredie, sorry for my late response but you had many questions and I'm lazy :-[

It sounds like many symptoms of ms are similar to benzo withdrawal. Can you explain how/why your muscles are weaker due to benzo withdrawal?

I have less strength and my muscles get tired faster during gym classes

Could you explain waves and windows a bit more to me please?

During waves I have more and stronger symptoms and during windows I feel ok. As I said, during waves I'm only able to attend lighter gym classes (Pilates, Yoga, stretching) and have to rest in bed a lot of time. I also feel foggier. During windows I'm able to run and attend aerobic exercise classes and I can think clearly and fast.

Since you have waves & windows, I assume you have withdrawal symptoms?

Yes, see my signature

Do you think you tapered too fast and that’s why you have withdrawal?

I think some level of withdrawal symptoms are needed to heal. You need to reduce the dose and the symptoms are your brain wanting for more and then adjusting to the lower dose. Overall, I don't think I've tapered too fast because I've been functional most of the time.

Did you taper slow, medium, or fast?

I don't know, these are relative concepts. The graph in may signature shows the exact evolution.

How did your liquid taper work out for you?

Very well, I used a compounded 1mg/10ml suspension of lorazepan and Syrspend. But it was expensive. Now I'm holding at 0.25mg to quit smoking and taper off Effexor, so I changed to solid again.

Was it dlmt?

I don't know what that means, sorry

Sorry so many questions. Trying to understand better. Much thanks & best wishes

It's OK. I hope things go well for you.

PS - You seem to be writing a thesis on benzo withdrawal :laugh:  :smitten:

I quit 2 months and 12 days ago.

Loads of people on here told me not to as I would get hit hard with withdrawals and it wouldn't be wise to go through benzo and this. Well guys i can say that life for me has improved so much since I quit. I have more energy, I can workout more and my anxiety diminished so much. I guess the reason for half my panic attacks during the day was because of smoking.

Yeah I did gain weight the first month but now I'm on track losing it.

I quit with an e cig and lowered the nicotine levels every 2 weeks.

My uncle passed away 6 days after I quit, If i didn't smoke, drink or take a Valium then I'm sure I'll never have to ever again. This withdrawal has shown me how strong mentally I've really become. I just need this damn anxiety, dizziness, dr/dp that comes out of nowhere to go away and ill be healed.

Fantastic rickatu, congratulations :thumbsup:  :)

I listened to the Allen Carr audiobook and couldn’t quit!  Although everything made so much sense!!  Does anyone know if it could take a few listens to be effective? 

I didn't read Allen Carr's but I read, by Ginger's suggestion, "Freedom From Nicotine - The Journey Home" by John R. Polito. I think it's in the same line. It did help me a lot because I understood how nicotine acts on our brain, making us think we need it to relax, cope with stress or enjoy good moments. This made it easier to resist the cravings which was my main difficulty. I'm now around three weeks off. I still don't know if I'm gonna make it because I smoked for so many years I still can't believe I was finally able to quit. But so far so good and cravings are getting weaker. One day at a time.

I was skeptical about Carr's method because he claims you will make it without any effort and I don't believe that's possible.

Why don't you try "Freedom From Nicotine" Unicorn? You can download it for free.

I didn't read Freedom From Nicotine but it sounds great. As far as Allen Carr goes, I knew that it was still going to be hard no matter what. But I listened to it at least 5 times. I know it's the same info over and over, but I would listen to it on my walks, doing housework sitting around, anytime really. Even when I was smoking! After about 5 times through I really started to feel the message and I would actually hear his voice in my head saying all the things that made complete sense yet I was still smoking. Cognitive Dissonance. Then one day at around noon I was smoking a cig and I thought to myself, I am crazy!!!  :idiot: I want to quit SO bad that I have listened to the same book 5 times, bought cigs anyway, smoked one, threw the pack away, dug them out of the trash, smoked another one, put the pack under the faucet so the cigs were ruined, and then went to the store and bought more. Many times over!! If that's not crazy I don't know what is. But it reminded me that my brain was fighting with itself and I NEEDED TO WIN THIS BATTLE. I stubbed out my cig and have not smoked another one since November. If I can do it, you can too!!

I didn't read Freedom From Nicotine but it sounds great. As far as Allen Carr goes, I knew that it was still going to be hard no matter what. But I listened to it at least 5 times. I know it's the same info over and over, but I would listen to it on my walks, doing housework sitting around, anytime really. Even when I was smoking! After about 5 times through I really started to feel the message and I would actually hear his voice in my head saying all the things that made complete sense yet I was still smoking. Cognitive Dissonance. Then one day at around noon I was smoking a cig and I thought to myself, I am crazy!!!  :idiot: I want to quit SO bad that I have listened to the same book 5 times, bought cigs anyway, smoked one, threw the pack away, dug them out of the trash, smoked another one, put the pack under the faucet so the cigs were ruined, and then went to the store and bought more. Many times over!! If that's not crazy I don't know what is. But it reminded me that my brain was fighting with itself and I NEEDED TO WIN THIS BATTLE. I stubbed out my cig and have not smoked another one since November. If I can do it, you can too!!

:) :) :)

I gave up smoking years ag by using nicotine spray. It was easy.

Thing is I then used the spray for a couple of years and stopped it during withdrawal because it was getting out of control.

I didn't read Allen Carr's but I read, by Ginger's suggestion, "Freedom From Nicotine - The Journey Home" by John R. Polito. I think it's in the same line. It did help me a lot because I understood how nicotine acts on our brain, making us think we need it to relax, cope with stress or enjoy good moments. This made it easier to resist the cravings which was my main difficulty. I'm now around three weeks off. I still don't know if I'm gonna make it because I smoked for so many years I still can't believe I was finally able to quit. But so far so good and cravings are getting weaker. One day at a time.

I was skeptical about Carr's method because he claims you will make it without any effort and I don't believe that's possible.

Why don't you try "Freedom From Nicotine" Unicorn? You can download it for free.

Thank you Magnesi!!  I’ll download it and give it a read.  Smoking has become an unhealthy distraction for me during this time.  It’s been so hard to find other things to fill all this time with and not smoke.  Although I want to be free from this poison so badly.  I really appreciate your response  :smitten:

Huge congratulations on being three weeks off!!  Woohoo!!!  So happy for you!  It must feel very liberating, even if it’s a challenge.  You’ve gotten past the hardest part, in my opinion  :thumbsup:  I always seem to struggle most the first week.  Bravo!

Thank you Magnesi!!  I’ll download it and give it a read.  Smoking has become an unhealthy distraction for me during this time.  It’s been so hard to find other things to fill all this time with and not smoke.  Although I want to be free from this poison so badly.  I really appreciate your response  :smitten:

Huge congratulations on being three weeks off!!  Woohoo!!!  So happy for you!  It must feel very liberating, even if it’s a challenge.  You’ve gotten past the hardest part, in my opinion  :thumbsup:  I always seem to struggle most the first week.  Bravo!

Thank you Unicorn :) It's strange, but I don't feel like it was a victory. I'm surprised to have made it so far and I'm waiting to see if I can really make it. It was easier than I expected but let's see, still haven't thrown my last pack away.

Yes, I think the worse were the first two weeks. The cravings were so bad I often had to go to bed and stay under the sheets until they were gone. But from now on the problem is that it may be easy to be caught off guard and pick a cigarette without thinking or something like that...

I hope things go well for you too  :smitten:

Keep us posted on your progress, OK?

Hey Magnesi! It took about 3 weeks for me to realize that this time I think I could actually do it. Great job!!!!!!!

Hey Magnesi! It took about 3 weeks for me to realize that this time I think I could actually do it. Great job!!!!!!!

Thank you OliveKitty :smitten:

Hi guys...

Your doing well...!!

Every day is one more win...

I am also doing well, but I have had the odd one... But there have been some big life events going on, so im happy with how im going...

My best to Everyone...

:)

That’s reassuring that you listened over and over.  Congratulations again!!  Huuuuuge accomplishment!  I think I’ll have to do that AND read the other book to kick this nasty sh*t.  I’ve quit so many times in the past, but this time is SO much harder because I started relying on it as a distraction in detox while I literally thought I was going insane.  Accidentally got myself up to a pack a day, which i never in my life have smoked!  But I’m all obsessively fearing health stuff, so must find a way to stop this.  Thank you for the encouragement, Kitty :smitten:

Yea I was smoking SO MUCH last summer, nothing to do all day but smoke. Before I had smoked about 1/2 a pack a day but last summer I was definitely up to a pack. I do have a vape that I sometimes use, I'm not too worried about the health impact of that and it is nice to have something to replace the habit, especially if you are around other smokers. My bf smokes so I had to get used to being around smokers right away. He is quitting though! He just went on a 3 month job and he said he is not going to smoke there. we'll see!

Yea I was smoking SO MUCH last summer, nothing to do all day but smoke. Before I had smoked about 1/2 a pack a day but last summer I was definitely up to a pack. I do have a vape that I sometimes use, I'm not too worried about the health impact of that and it is nice to have something to replace the habit, especially if you are around other smokers. My bf smokes so I had to get used to being around smokers right away. He is quitting though! He just went on a 3 month job and he said he is not going to smoke there. we'll see!

kitty Oh I hope he quits!  I don’t find it harder being around smokers, for some reason.  Maybe because once I make the true DECISION, it feels like victory when others smoke.  I hate the smell and taste and everything really.  Except for that feeling of it being a little friend to keep me company and distract me.  Which, I know is a lie!  Gotta train my brain!!  That gives me hope I can quit too, since you were up to a pack and did it!  It must feel soooooo good!  I remember how much better I felt overall while not smoking.  For YEARS.  Just felt cleaner and loved that I wasn’t being bad to myself, health wise.  You inspire me! 

Congrats Magnesi :thumbsup: You are quite determined to get this poison out of your life. I hope you will succeed. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.