False Charge: BB Is Full of People with BPD

[ga...]

My psych nurse friend is that.....a friend.  Actually a lifelong, dear friend whom I am very close to.  She's not treating me as a patient.  She once said I might need to be on an antidepressant the rest of my life "as diabetics need insulin."  I called her on it by reminding her that diabetes is a diagnosed and treated per blood tests, unlike depression.  She agreed.

She has a PhD in Nursing Education and is 65 years old so had decades of publishing and research under her belt as she is a professor of nursing in the graduate nursing program at a very prestigious university.  All of that to say that she isn't a fresh grad without much experience.  However, like most in the psych med field, she is uninformed about the dangers of benzos and ADs.  When I talk to her, she thinks I'm exaggerating as she's never witnessed it or seen data on the horrific suffering.  I'm trying to educate her, but she's not taking me seriously as I am not an academic in the field of science as she and her peers are.

She also won't read anything written from anyone on BB since she thinks most people on the forum have BPD.

At my urging, she is tapering off of .5 mg of Klonopin that she has been taking for insomnia.  She took Ambien for years and discontinued it with no problem.  The only withdrawal symptom she's having now is insomnia for which she's taking 100 mg of gabapentin.  However, she has no idea of the suffering that many experience when withdrawing from benzos.

She continues to tout ADs saying that they are perfectly safe and help many people.  I think I have to come to the realization that it's not my job to "straighten her out" and that if we are to remain friends, I'm going to have to drop it and just not talk about it.

I see.

As a friend, please tell her not to mix ambien and/or lunesta with clonazepam.  She is a former user of both of those, and when her sleep gets really bad she might fall back on one, and then add the other.  We all get desperate when it comes to basic and necessary physiological function....

We know the dangers of classical benzodiazaphines, but when one combines them with ambien and/or lunesta even those with the strongest physiology can crack (kindle).  I speak from experience..... The science behind this is there, but I know she won't listen to that.    I think if you can warn her of that combination you can help her from falling down a very slippery slope.  I know this wasn't your original question, but I had to at least mention this to you, so that you could warn her.....

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Co...]

• [be...]

• [Ni...]

• [Ms...]

NightWatch,

You were responding to gardenlady's post were she was defending her friendship the Professor, after some rather sharp comments from other members about said friend. Your comments (on the face of it) was more of the same. Or, at least, that's how they came across:

... When I talk to her, she thinks I'm exaggerating as she's never witnessed it or seen data on the horrific suffering.  I'm trying to educate her, but she's not taking me seriously as I am not an academic in the field of science as she and her peers are.

She also won't read anything written from anyone on BB since she thinks most people on the forum have BPD...

What a stunningly naive and blinkered worldview from somebody so apparently well-educated and experienced ;)

The full quote from gardenlady:

My psych nurse friend is that.....a friend.  Actually a lifelong, dear friend whom I am very close to.  She's not treating me as a patient.  She once said I might need to be on an antidepressant the rest of my life "as diabetics need insulin."  I called her on it by reminding her that diabetes is a diagnosed and treated per blood tests, unlike depression.  She agreed.

She has a PhD in Nursing Education and is 65 years old so had decades of publishing and research under her belt as she is a professor of nursing in the graduate nursing program at a very prestigious university.  All of that to say that she isn't a fresh grad without much experience.  However, like most in the psych med field, she is uninformed about the dangers of benzos and ADs.  When I talk to her, she thinks I'm exaggerating as she's never witnessed it or seen data on the horrific suffering.  I'm trying to educate her, but she's not taking me seriously as I am not an academic in the field of science as she and her peers are.

She also won't read anything written from anyone on BB since she thinks most people on the forum have BPD.

At my urging, she is tapering off of .5 mg of Klonopin that she has been taking for insomnia.  She took Ambien for years and discontinued it with no problem.  The only withdrawal symptom she's having now is insomnia for which she's taking 100 mg of gabapentin.  However, she has no idea of the suffering that many experience when withdrawing from benzos.

She continues to tout ADs saying that they are perfectly safe and help many people.  I think I have to come to the realization that it's not my job to "straighten her out" and that if we are to remain friends, I'm going to have to drop it and just not talk about it.

If you state that you meant to imply no such thing, I will accept that and retract my criticism. But, again, that's how your words read to me. And in the context of the flow of the thread, I don't think I would be alone in reading it that way. Shall we chalk this up to cross-purposes?

Colin, I don't think GL was either "defending" or "not defending" her friendship. I think it is obvious that she was saying: "well, I'm in the awkward position of not being able to talk openly with [my friend] about it because we are friends and she has her belief and I have mine". We have all been in that position and we know what that kind of awkwardness can be like - it is well understood.

Other posters were not declaiming "her friend" either - they were expressing their disbelief that ANYONE in the mental health-care mainstream could continue to remain so doggedly ill-informed, despite the evidence before their own eyes (should they care to look). Essentially agreeing with the OP's view of it.

Really, you can chalk this down to cross-purposes if that covers it for you, but wading into an ongoing conversation and jumping to a very wrong conclusion, as you did, was very frustrating to me; moreso because I have been at the receiving end of exactly this kind of inaccurate intervention before, and that one was just plain wrong too.

I invite you to scan my posting history to see if there is anything there other than strong support for other members.

I think I've now said all that I want to say about this.

No hard feelings. All the best and thank you for the site and the work you do.

I see.

As a friend, please tell her not to mix ambien and/or lunesta with clonazepam.  She is a former user of both of those, and when her sleep gets really bad she might fall back on one, and then add the other.  We all get desperate when it comes to basic and necessary physiological function....

We know the dangers of classical benzodiazaphines, but when one combines them with ambien and/or lunesta even those with the strongest physiology can crack (kindle).  I speak from experience..... The science behind this is there, but I know she won't listen to that.    I think if you can warn her of that combination you can help her from falling down a very slippery slope.  I know this wasn't your original question, but I had to at least mention this to you, so that you could warn her.....

Thanks for your interest in my friend's health.  No, she is not combining Ambien & Klonopin.  She tapered off the Ambien before starting the Klonopin.  She knows enough not to combine the two!

To go back to you GL - thanks for explaining further as it definitely puts everything into perspective regarding your original post. In all honesty my mother is quite similar to your friend - nearly the same age, also a professor, and has been off and on benzos for years for a variety of reasons. Despite what I've been through she's always been a bit skeptical about BB so I really do get where you're coming from. The thing is she's (my mom) that way about every online forum. At least in my experience it's not necessarily specifically about benzos, it's just that things are different these days and people reach out in different ways. I mean if anything the fact that fact that your friend is tapering at your urging is huge.

While dropping the situation with your friend may be the best option, if the time ever arises, do let her know there are people like her on BB. I was on .5-1mg of Klonopin for migraines for an extended period of time. I don't have a BPD. Part of my recovery is thanks to BB for sure. I hope she gives us another look sometime soon!

To go back to you GL - thanks for explaining further as it definitely puts everything into perspective regarding your original post. In all honesty my mother is quite similar to your friend - nearly the same age, also a professor, and has been off and on benzos for years for a variety of reasons. Despite what I've been through she's always been a bit skeptical about BB so I really do get where you're coming from. The thing is she's (my mom) that way about every online forum. At least in my experience it's not necessarily specifically about benzos, it's just that things are different these days and people reach out in different ways. I mean if anything the fact that fact that your friend is tapering at your urging is huge.

While dropping the situation with your friend may be the best option, if the time ever arises, do let her know there are people like her on BB. I was on .5-1mg of Klonopin for migraines for an extended period of time. I don't have a BPD. Part of my recovery is thanks to BB for sure. I hope she gives us another look sometime soon!

BF, My friend's perception about online forums wasn't restricted only to BB as she has never had the interest or inclination to log onto it.  She thinks that people with BPD flock to online forums and that I should stay away from them for that reason....she thinks I'll get poor advice and be mislead by someone who's not mentally stable.

I told her that if it hadn't been for BB, I'd still be on a cocktail of meds or dead.  But, she ignores me.  She has never visited BB nor any other online forum and am very doubtful she every will.  I'm sorry she is so negatively predisposed.  That's why I posted about this in the first place because I wanted to change her mind, but I guess I can't.  Too bad!!

You're dealing with something so many of us have to handle during withdrawal/recovery, gl. It's a losing battle. I certainly have tried so often to make people "be on my side," so to speak. I got so frustrated with it that I turned my back on people, period, because I was suffering so much and no one understood. I have been alone, for the most part, for a very extended period of time. My son, whom I communicate with the most, doesn't understand, either, although he tries (thank goodness for that!). He has a PhD, too (though in engineering, not medical) and won't believe anything but genuine science papers, none of the anecdotal stuff. Therefore, he has no desire to be on BB. He has thought that it wasn't good for me and has made some disparaging remarks about it. So has my sister. But since it's been the only place I've found relief, I'm on here frequently.

I think it's best to just let the matter go. As much as we want to convince people, it can become an exercise akin to hitting your head against a brick wall.

Hello gardenlady, I wouldn't try to convince her as no logical arguments will work, I think. The responsibility that the medical and nursing class has in this epidemic and in the disastrous way it is being addressed hinders most of them from being able to think clearly about it. They get defensive. Don't forget they are just people and people are not fully rational beings. Even if they don't have BPD :)

I have a psych nurse friend who is convinced that online forums, such as BB, are full of people with borderline personality disorders implying that they (the forums) should be avoided.  She is a professor of nursing at a highly prestigious university's graduate school of nursing and has a Post Masters in Psych-Mental Health Nursing.  She teaches graduate and doctoral students in that same program.

She has also made statements such as, "You may need to be on psych meds the rest of your life like a diabetic needs insulin."  As we know, these are statements that those in the uninformed medical community make when they are not educated about the risks of psych meds, having drunk the Kool-Aid of Big Pharma.

Is there any information I can use to counter this claim of "forums are full of people with BPD"?

I just read the description of borderline personalities and I do think there are some similarities between it and people in withdrawal.  I think it would be really funny if all of us actually had that AND benzo withdrawal.  BPD is associated with abandonment in childhood and it usually starts in adolescence or around age 18.  Well I wasn't abandoned and I haven't had these problems with intense anger or anxiety until I was well into my taper.

It's highly unlikely that everyone on this board just happened to be both abandoned as a child AND is going through benzo withdrawal.  I'm not sure what else you can really tell her other than some people have a hard time getting off this drug and others don't.  That seems innocuous enough, even though I know everyone still doesn't believe it.

The MD shrink who kept poisoning me with the benzo's for 3 years was the director for 11 years of one of our state's largest mental hospitals.  He had about 50 years experience as a MD pychiatrist when I went to see him and I thought he was a god and trusted everything he told me.  I started getting really bad anxiety and he told me to "push" the Xanax, which meant, take more.  I did and it really messed me up.  I told him I had pins and needles in my arms and legs and he thought nothing of it.  I realize in hindsight I was in tolerance and interdose w/d then.  This well-educated and experienced doc was totally clueless about the damage being done by these pills.  I have no faith in the medical community anymore concerning pscyhe drugs. 

The MD shrink who kept poisoning me with the benzo's for 3 years was the director of one of our state's largest mental hospitals for 11 years.  He had about 50 years experience as an MD pychiatrist when I went to see him and I thought he was a god and trusted everything he told me.  I started getting really bad anxiety and he told me to "push" the Xanax, which meant, take more.  I did and it really messed me up.  I told him I had pins and needles in my arms and legs and he thought nothing of it.  I realize in hindsight I was in tolerance and interdose w/d then.  This well-educated and experienced doc was totally clueless about the damage being done by these pills.  I have no faith in the medical community anymore concerning pscyhe drugs.

Ditto that.  Same experience here.  Same sentiments. :)

I have a psych nurse friend who is convinced that online forums, such as BB, are full of people with borderline personality disorders implying that they (the forums) should be avoided.  She is a professor of nursing at a highly prestigious university's graduate school of nursing and has a Post Masters in Psych-Mental Health Nursing.  She teaches graduate and doctoral students in that same program.

She has also made statements such as, "You may need to be on psych meds the rest of your life like a diabetic needs insulin."  As we know, these are statements that those in the uninformed medical community make when they are not educated about the risks of psych meds, having drunk the Kool-Aid of Big Pharma.

Is there any information I can use to counter this claim of "forums are full of people with BPD"?

Is she a transplant from the 1990s?

How can she be a psych nurse and comfortable perpetuating a stigma regarding borderline personality and also believe psych meds are like insulin?  These ideas have been disproven for many years.  It sounds like her own cognitive dissonance at work.  I guarantee you point for point she would lose an argument about this.  It sounds like she needs to update her training.  Allen Frances, the chair of the DSM 4 and former Duke Psychiatry department head says in linked video to check your doctors advice on everything because you don't know who is influencing them.  I assume that means it's fine to check out support groups as well, and groups like benzo buddies.  I also check my doctor on antibiotics they write (they didn't know about the fluoraquinalones) and really anything they give me at this point, because I know medicine is broken, physicians do not have time to check things like they are supposed to, and they're stressed out and over worked.  They cannot claim on one hand they are stressed out and overworked and also claim on the other hand they don't make mistakes, because overworked implies in and of itself that they are more likely to make mistakes. 

Is she a transplant from the 1990s?

How can she be a psych nurse and comfortable perpetuating a stigma regarding borderline personality and also believe psych meds are like insulin?  These ideas have been disproven for many years.  It sounds like her own cognitive dissonance at work.  I guarantee you point for point she would lose an argument about this.  It sounds like she needs to update her training.  Allen Frances, the chair of the DSM 4 and former Duke Psychiatry department head says in linked video to check your doctors advice on everything because you don't know who is influencing them.  I assume that means it's fine to check out support groups as well, and groups like benzo buddies.  I also check my doctor on antibiotics they write (they didn't know about the fluoraquinalones) and really anything they give me at this point, because I know medicine is broken, physicians do not have time to check things like they are supposed to, and they're stressed out and over worked.  They cannot claim on one hand they are stressed out and overworked and also claim on the other hand they don't make mistakes, because overworked implies in and of itself that they are more likely to make mistakes. 

Well said, MAB!!

I've found doctors have told me things that not only have had a strong effect for many years, but THEY WEREN'T TRUE. And it's absolutely important to fact-check what a doctor says about a pill. There are too many pills being manufactured today. And who knows if the doctor is in kahoots with pharmaceutical companies? I've seen way too many doctors, and some have carelessly and offhandedly made remarks that they don't realize have had a deep effect on my psyche.

The one thing that I find distasteful about medicine today is that a person is considered "non-compliant" if they are not following the doctor's prescription or they're considered troublemakers for asking too many questions. Doctors simply can't know all the answers. And the way a person processes pills is different from another person. Drug interactions are common. Yet doctors continue to deny what a patient is experiencing with a pill. 

Personally, I wish there were PCP robots. Just give me the true facts, and don't make any negative comments.

Good video also!!

My original provider was both an addiction specialist and a neurologist from Cleveland Clinic and had decades of experience. She should be here instead of me.

She is wrong.  BB was a life saver for me when I tapered 3.5 years ago.  Once I got off and was feeling better, I came back and read the forum.  I could understand why folks who had not gone through this would believe all who were posting about symptoms suffered from some mental illness.  But, I clearly remember when I was going through withdrawal, this was the only place where I found sanity and other folks going through the same thing.  She is wrong.  I don't guess folks can be convinced unless they experience it.  I still am fragile and I know no one in my family understands what I went through and how I have difficulty comping with stress now. 

NightWatch,

You were responding to gardenlady's post were she was defending her friendship the Professor, after some rather sharp comments from other members about said friend. Your comments (on the face of it) was more of the same. Or, at least, that's how they came across:

... When I talk to her, she thinks I'm exaggerating as she's never witnessed it or seen data on the horrific suffering.  I'm trying to educate her, but she's not taking me seriously as I am not an academic in the field of science as she and her peers are.

She also won't read anything written from anyone on BB since she thinks most people on the forum have BPD...

What a stunningly naive and blinkered worldview from somebody so apparently well-educated and experienced ;)

The full quote from gardenlady:

If you state that you meant to imply no such thing, I will accept that and retract my criticism. But, again, that's how your words read to me. And in the context of the flow of the thread, I don't think I would be alone in reading it that way. Shall we chalk this up to cross-purposes?

Colin, I don't think GL was either "defending" or "not defending" her friendship. I think it is obvious that she was saying: "well, I'm in the awkward position of not being able to talk openly with [my friend] about it because we are friends and she has her belief and I have mine". We have all been in that position and we know what that kind of awkwardness can be like - it is well understood.

Other posters were not declaiming "her friend" either - they were expressing their disbelief that ANYONE in the mental health-care mainstream could continue to remain so doggedly ill-informed, despite the evidence before their own eyes (should they care to look). Essentially agreeing with the OP's view of it.

Really, you can chalk this down to cross-purposes if that covers it for you, but wading into an ongoing conversation and jumping to a very wrong conclusion, as you did, was very frustrating to me; moreso because I have been at the receiving end of exactly this kind of inaccurate intervention before, and that one was just plain wrong too.

I invite you to scan my posting history to see if there is anything there other than strong support for other members.

I think I've now said all that I want to say about this.

No hard feelings. All the best and thank you for the site and the work you do.

Well said NightWatch

This discussion has gone astray, no pun intended.  A "psychiatric nurse" that has made outrageous and scientifically unqualified statements regarding people going through benzo withdrawal has gotten to us all.  I wonder what Dr. Heather Ashton would say to her.  It'd be interesting to watch. Oy.

What GL friend said is judgmental and wrong. But she's still her friend and I totally get that. I have a friend who is very offensive with her rude statements. But I cut her some slack, because I love her and I don't want to equally as judgy.  :laugh: I think GLs friend's statement rubbed us all the wrong way because we've had it with being dismissed and not believed by healthcare professionals, friends and family. It is amazing to me that there are still so many educated health professionals who have no knowledge, understanding or compassion regarding how dangerous benzos are and how real and hellish withdrawal can be. It is hard for us to believe because we are dealing with it right now and it's ugly.

In December 2016 while an inpatient at a behavioral health hospital I was told by the APRN (advanced practice registered nurse, a nurse practitioner who can prescribe) that my meds were being changed. Lots of changes all at once including discontinuation of Adderall and Clonazepam.I questioned her about this, especially the clonazepam, and she did not like that one bit. When she asked why I thought I should continue I told her that everyone I'd seen kept me on 2 mg. She snidely laughed and asked, "Were these doctors?" I was highly offended because, heck, SHE wasn't a doctor! And I told her yes, internists, psychiatrists and a neurologist. Needless to say she didn't back down and I ended up in cold-turkey withdrawal.

Is it too much to ask that doctors and psychiatrists (and APRNs) stay up-to-date? Maybe they all have BPD.  :laugh::thumbsup:

What GL friend said is judgmental and wrong. But she's still her friend and I totally get that. I have a friend who is very offensive with her rude statements. But I cut her some slack, because I love her and I don't want to equally as judgy.  :laugh: I think GLs friend's statement rubbed us all the wrong way because we've had it with being dismissed and not believed by healthcare professionals, friends and family.

:thumbsup:

What GL friend said is judgmental and wrong. But she's still her friend and I totally get that. I have a friend who is very offensive with her rude statements. But I cut her some slack, because I love her and I don't want to equally as judgy.  :laugh: I think GLs friend's statement rubbed us all the wrong way because we've had it with being dismissed and not believed by healthcare professionals, friends and family.

Emotions aside, her statements are unscientific and unsupported by any evidence or research.  So no one should give any deference to her statements.  I certainly don't.

Is there a school of thought that withdrawal mimics BPD?

You have asked an EXCELLENT question.

The answer for me is a resounding yes; I also think that had I been evaluated during my hard acute c/t w/d, I would have been diagnosed with schizophrenia.

I will always believe this is why there are millions of benzo w/d cases going misdiagnosed because they present mimicking actual chronic disorders. And the treatment: more and varied benzos and other psyche drugs.

Emotions aside, her statements are unscientific and unsupported by any evidence or research.  So no one should give any deference to her statements.  I certainly don't.

Well. That's not why I gave a thumbs-up. I refer you to earlier posts of mine in this thread. Here, onwards:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=194436.msg2541017#msg2541017

Well. That's not why I gave a thumbs-up. I refer you to earlier posts of mine in this thread. Here, onwards:

I was actually replying to lalsingme, I didn't post the correct quote frame and your thumbs up was left in.  I was not replying to you.  Sorry Colin.

Knock it off, Colin.

I was actually replying to lalsingme, I didn't post the correct quote frame and your thumbs up was left in.  I was not replying to you.  Sorry Colin.

Understood. No apology necessary.