• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ba...]

• [Ma...]

• [or...]

• [Fi...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I am wondering if anyone here had to go into asst. living or something being so disabled by this and at an older age??  I can't keep this up year after year altho I doubt have the $$ for asst. living unless I were to move, and how I'd do tha tI don't know, either since that is such a stressor

• 2 weeks later...
[af...]
Encouraging news.  I am 62 and will start a taper soon.  Also have to get off Ambien.  Did you do that before or after the Klonopin?

Encouraging news.  I am 62 and will start a taper soon.  Also have to get off Ambien.  Did you do that before or after the Klonopin?

Lookinup, is the Ambien still helping you?  IMO, if it is, you may want to taper it after the Klonipin, that way you hopefully won't run into the insomnia problem so many people have.  It's my understanding from reading on bb, that taper is not an easy one either.  If it isn't helping anymore, well truthfully, I am not sure it will matter.  A good place to ask this question, where it will be seen more, is on the Withdrawal Support thread and probably get more answers.  Good luck !  Mary 💜

[af...]

It really only gives me about 3 hours, but maybe that is better than none.  The Klonopin taper scares me.  What kind of reduction do you recommend.  I see you are slowing down.  Thank you!

It really only gives me about 3 hours, but maybe that is better than none.  The Klonopin taper scares me.  What kind of reduction do you recommend.  I see you are slowing down.  Thank you!

Truthfully Lookinup, I would put this question on the Klonipin Support thread, many more people will read it there and you are much more likely to get several suggestions.  The information they will need to have to give you a good answer is how long have you been on each med, at what dose, and if amount of sleep the ambien is providing.  This thread just doesn't get a lot of activity and I would like you to get the best support possible.  To find the Klonipin Support thread go back to the Homepage and scroll down until you see Support Groups, click there, and scroll down until you see the KK#2 thread.  Click there and add your questions.  It's a very busy thread.  Let me know if you have any trouble.  Good luck, Mary      Oh, also if you are taking any other meds add those to your post. 💜

Hi All

66 here ... well over two years out , but sometimes those sx sytill come back to haunt me and it can take a while for me to recognise and say ‘ hullo , here you are again ‘ !!

Excess saliva

Gas especially at night

Disrupted sleep

Health anxiety and anxiety in general..

Some times I handle this better than others. I’m still learning to be kind to myself and practise self care .I do recognise what’s happening now and that helps ..I realise the anxiety related sx are probably part of who I am , so have given up thinking they will go away . I put  more energy into finding healthy mechanisms to cope with them .

wow, you're the only person who has mentioned excess saliva that I've seen.

I've had that on and off a bit and think it is so weird.

Obviously it is nowhere near the worst withdrawal effect, tho...

You’re right Barbara Ann. Quite manageable , but unpleasant .. I had it right from the beginning but I thought it might be acid reflux. Now it’s not , but from time to time still comes back for a while .. brushing my teeth helps as does using a mouthwash . If I forget about it , it can go away but as soon as I think about it , it starts again .. I recently had some work done on my teeth and it’s changed my whole ‘bite’ if that makes sense , so while I worry about that ! The saliva comes .. did you know it tends to go away quicker if you actually spit it out rather than swallow it .. at home I constantly walk around with a facecloth in my hand .. joys of withdrawals ! Have a good weekend x

Hey Bertie, So good to hear about your healing.  You were on quite a bit of the Ativan!  I know exactly what you mean about the anxiety being present.  I know it is part of how I am wired, and that's ok.  Dealing with this level is doable...nothing compared to the anxiety that comes with acute and w/d.  Great to hear you have come so far!!!  Congrats.

Bertie,

My salivation really minor, not like yours (thank goodness).  Just every now and then noticing, huh... a little in the corner of my mouth.

My awful symptoms are insomnia/depression/fatigue/fear/inability to function much including can't drive or go out hardly at all which is very tough ifyou are alone.

I feel really desperate, actually about this stuff... the physical stuff is there, but not as bad as the psych stuff.

[af...]
Yes, taking .5 tablets.  Have been on them for 20 years at varying doses.  No more than 1.5. Been on .5 for quite awhile.  Thank you

[af...]
Oh, that makes me feel good.  Glad to have the club for support.  I don’t know where to start with the taper.  I am 62, by the way, not 82!  I want to come off because I have been getting symptoms that may be tolerance withdrawal.  It is very hard to tell exactly what is going on. Sensory—vibrations ,tingling, etc. palpapations, insomnia, numbness on bottom of feet.  But,I noticed these right  after tapering and jumping off Remeron in June.  Some people have a reaction to that too. And, I am having thyroid issues as well.  High T4. Haven’t felt well for 4 months.  Found some articles on tolerance withdrawal and shared them with my doctors.  Saw a psychiatrist who does tapers yesterday.  He said not such thing as tolerance withdrawal.  If are on steady dose of medication,it holds.  Also said no such thing as reaction to Remeron.  Realize I am on my own. Haven’t heard from doctors yet.  They are probably frightened by it!  Too bad there isn’t a blood test to tell whether you are withdrawaling from Klonopin!  Will be interesting to get the thoughts of the others in the club about the symptoms and tolerance withdrawal.  Need to get off it anyway.  Too bad it is not as simple as going to Betty Ford Clinic. I hear that is widely discouraged.  Thank you for getting back to me and thank you to the club members for yours support.

[af...]
I am 62. Just getting plan together to taper.  Scared to death and very anxious over it.  Please tell me if I go slow with this, I will do okay!

Yes, at least I can count on 3 hrs.

Looking, I don't think we know who you're talking to. When you are responding to someone, I suggest you click on the quote button and then add your response at the very bottom of the text box. See what I did? It shows I'm responding to what you just said.

Testing the quote thingie.  Okay.. it works.  Cool!  So, if I wanted to eliminate part of the quote, I can just backspace what i don't want to quote?  And Hiya Old Farts!  I'm soo happy to have found ya'll!

[af...]

Lookin, you can also hit PREVIEW to see how your post will look before you hit post. (I do.) Please do that instead of posting the same thing again and again. I'll take down the repeat posts. :)

Thanks for the tech help too!

[af...]
Help-I am overwhelmed and getting panicked about my situation, 62 and on Klonopin for 20 years.  Will I have to just stay on them and increase dose to keep from permanent injury????  I am desperate!

Lookin, don't panic. Of course you won't have to say on your dose if you don't want to. I can understand your distress, though. I was 65 when I started my taper. I, too, wondered if I could " do it". But I did. I believe anyone can taper if they take good advice, go slow, and have a positive attitude. As well, you need to have a great desire to be free of the awful effects the drug is having on you.

A final thought: this has to be YOUR taper. Your idea (i.e. no one ought to be forcing you into this); your method (pills, r/x liquid, or homemade liquid -- whatever works for you); and your pace, not your doctor's. As we say on here . . . listen to your body.

You'll do fine, Lookin. We're here for you!

:smitten:

Katz

I am closer to seventy than I am to sixty.  I have a birthday coming in a couple of weeks.  I dread those things now.  Birthdays.  yuck.

When I first came here, I thought I'd be the oldest person on this site.  I'm not sure why I thought that, except that irl I seem to be the oldest person wherever I go.  I think us old farts have the tendency to have more patience with the horrible world of withdrawals.  We've already had life kick us around.  In my case.. lots.  I could be wrong about this.  I'm wrong several times a day just to keep in practice.  :)

I originally came here after watching the Lisa Ling special.  I remembered the nightmare of four years ago and thought I might be some help for those still trapped in it.  Hubris.  Total hubris on my part.  I think maybe I'll mosey on and leave it to the professionals.  My life is fine now.. except for being frippin' old.  Being here, reminds me of the worst year of my life.  I knew it would but I didn't know how badly it would intrude into my thoughts.  I want to gather EVERYBODY up in a Grandma's quilt and love them into health.  Just rock them until they stop crying, like you do with grandbabies.  Ease their pain.  Make them smile again.  It's not my place to do that, though.  And smiles are nowhere on the horizon for sooo many people. 

So, anyway.  Fellow older folks.  Hang in there.  You will get thru this. 

Libs

[af...]

Lookin, don't panic. Of course you won't have to say on your dose if you don't want to. I can understand your distress, though. I was 65 when I started my taper. I, too, wondered if I could " do it". But I did. I believe anyone can taper if they take good advice, go slow, and have a positive attitude. As well, you need to have a great desire to be free of the awful effects the drug is having on you.

A final thought: this has to be YOUR taper. Your idea (i.e. no one ought to be forcing you into this); your method (pills, r/x liquid, or homemade liquid -- whatever works for you); and your pace, not your doctor's. As we say on here . . . listen to your body.

Thank you!  I was referring to staying on for life.  I am so scared.

You'll do fine, Lookin. We're here for you!

:smitten:

Katz