FDA MEDWATCH PROGRAM

[pi...]

Hi Hope76:

Are you working with W-BAD? I am having trouble getting the pamphlets to print at the right size, as well as the press release. Would greatly appreciate any insight for printing these as I'm planning on delivering some of these materials to some of my providers, including the psych unit staff.

I am with BIC. W-BAD has a Facebook site and they are very responsive to messages. I would try messaging them for help! Also, when you hit print, a little box pops up on my computer where you can change the size of the document to bigger or smaller (it's listed in %, just change the number up or down until it looks like you want). Have you tried that? That is the extent of my computer knowledge lol.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ho...]

• [Ms...]

• [Ju...]

• [In...]

• 2 weeks later...

I filled it out. I used up almost all the available space to write my whole story. Copy/pasted here, hope that's okay:

~~~~

I was experiencing ongoing depression after having taking .5 mg/clonazepam for over 10 years. I had, frequent meltdowns with crying and/or rage, erratic driving, and frequent heated arguments with coworkers, family and friends. I was constantly sleepy, so I was always in trouble at work for being late because I couldn't wake up in the morning. Due to foggy cognition and memory problems, I frequently lost important items, such as my purse, debit card, and medications. I got speeding tickets all the time (once, the State of California sent me a letter informing me I was officially one of the worst drivers in the state). I  once drove away from a gas station with the pump still in my car, which caused hundreds of dollars in damage. I even got pregnant and had an abortion because I forgot to take my birth control pills, then forgot to get Plan B pills.

I thought all these problems were just me being "silly" and "spaced out." After 10 years, I assumed they were part of my personality. On 12/15/2015, I went to a new psychiatrist and expressed my despair. He informed me that the clonazepam could be causing my depression, as well as "paradoxical effects" including anxiety attacks and aggression (contributing to the frequent arguments mentioned in the first paragraph). He even said I technically shouldn't be driving while I was on benzos. In ten years, after seeing several psychiatrists regularly, this was the first I heard of any of these problems. I immediately went home and found the Ashton Manual online. A few days later, I began a taper, cutting 25% of my dose. My depression lifted within two days! It was as if a giant hand had been pressing down on me, and it suddenly lifted. That gave me hope, and determination to get off benzos completely. It also made me angry, to find out that the solution to my depression was right there all along, and no doctor or psychiatrist had brought up the possibility.

As of today I am at 20% of my original dose. I have been tapering for over 2 years, and I am still in constant mild withdrawal in spite of doing a slow taper. My symptoms include tingling in my hands and feet, heart palpitations, and constant anxiety and irritability. The good news: I no longer have meltdowns or arguments, I am now a safe driver, my memory has started to return, I have great attendance at work, and I no longer engage in risky sexual behaviors. However, I have to contend with returning memories of everything that's happened over the last 10 years. For example, my father passed away while I was on clonazepam, and I barely felt anything about it at the time. In fact, my memory of the ordeal is vague and foggy. I'm finally coming to terms with the reality that I lost him. I feel this medication did great damage to my life and my emotional development. I very much wish the original prescribing psychiatrist had given me serious warnings about getting on benzos. I wish she had tried me on something milder and less habit-forming for my anxiety, such as beta blockers. If physicians and psychiatrists can be more informed about the dangers of benzodiazepines, others can be spared all the chaos I suffered.

edit: content

For example, my father passed away while I was on clonazepam, and I barely felt anything about it at the time.

I hate the emotional numbness that comes with these drugs. Maybe anti depressants are similar, but this was one of the more jarring, standout symptoms for me as well. I'm sorry you had to go through that and I sympathize. At least we're taking steps to fix all these problems. You sound like you've already made great progress.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I did it a long time ago but forgot to mention it here. I do wonder what the results will be?

I have you on my list as done from BALA, benzogirl. We are going to re petition the FDA but for now are continuing to collect reports. The more the better!

• 3 months later...
Sadly the FDA Medwatch program is not doing it's job properly.  Prozac is still currently the drug with the most serious adverse events that have been reported.  There were over 50,000 adverse events reported for Prozac back in 1994 and only 1% of people reported.  So do the math...that's over 5,000,000 serious adverse events for just one drug and instead of pulling the drug off the market they allowed other companies to copycat Prozac and create other SSRIs like Celexa, Luvox, Zoloft and Paxil.  So what are the chances of the FDA pulling any of the major benzos like Valium, Ativan, Klonopin or Xanax off the market if they won't do anything for SSRIs?

Sadly the FDA Medwatch program is not doing it's job properly.  Prozac is still currently the drug with the most serious adverse events that have been reported.  There were over 50,000 adverse events reported for Prozac back in 1994 and only 1% of people reported.  So do the math...that's over 5,000,000 serious adverse events for just one drug and instead of pulling the drug off the market they allowed other companies to copycat Prozac and create other SSRIs like Celexa, Luvox, Zoloft and Paxil.  So what are the chances of the FDA pulling any of the major benzos like Valium, Ativan, Klonopin or Xanax off the market if they won't do anything for SSRIs?

I don't want them to pull them off the market, I want the doctors to stop handing them out like candy and would like a 1) pamphlet on the side effects of long-term use and 2) a warning label advising that these drugs are not to be taken for more than two weeks except in very rare circumstances. There's just no reason why I should have been given a three month supply of Ativan 1MG when I went to a pdoc complaining of some insomnia and anxiousness, and be told "oh, take this, it's fine, don't worry about it."

I'm with Lemonjuice.

I was given a 30 day supply of klonopin with 2 refills so 90 day supply, I took it for 60 days or so and then all hell broke loose when I tried to stop, if I was advised about the problems upfront I probably would have never taken it in the first place as my anxiety was not really severe.

Like all meds I think it has its place for either very short term use or in situations where the person is terminal.

2trusting

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...