"Benzo-safe" movies to watch during withdrawal -- Now Partially Indexed (Pg. 1)

[Al...]

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Al...]

• [sa...]

• [vi...]

• [Pa...]

I'm sure it's already been mentioned, but I think "The Princess Bride" would be benzo safe :)

Just an outstanding movie, funny and uplifting.

• 3 weeks later...
I saw a good animated movie recently - either called "Mary and Max" or "Max and Mary". Came across it by accident. It's about an unlikely friendship between a lonely girl in Australia and an Aspberger-affected middle-aged man in NYC. Not at all creepy like it sounds. Really lovely flick about acceptance and how friendship can withstand the worst storms and carry you through. Good funny bits too.

• 1 month later...
I watched Knight and Day with Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz a while ago and watched it again today.  I have to admit there's quite a bit of violence but it's very funny too.  Lots of twists and turns  and car, motorcycle, train and boat chases and the violence is more like the bad guys against the good guy - yes just one good guy.  The chemistry between Cruise and Diaz is great.  I'd call it more like an exciting/mystery/love story.  So if you can tolerate some excitement, that's very "Hollywood" you may like it.

On especially bad days even the stimulation of moving my eyes is just too much for me. I'll keep a/an (nonstimulated,) eye out for good watches. Thanks for posting it. I feel quite validated in reading that I'm not the only one out there with such intense sensitivity. This is easy to forget when you are trying to do this on your own.

• 1 month later...

List of movies i have watched recently:

[NOTE:...  you can watch previews of these movies

at www.imbd.com.... i'd recommend doin so before

rentin...wathin on netflix or dowloadin from a bit

torrent site... as some of these movies are a bit dark and/or

overstimulatin. ...i FORCE myself to watch complex

moives (and they do overstimulate me)....i do much

better with ones that are easy to watch... entertaining...

ones that end with hope...etc.]

Burke and Hare

Biutiful

Cafe

Dreamer

Every Day

Goal: The Dream Begins

Idlewood

Leap Year

Leatherheads

Maos Last Dancer

Miss Pettigree Lives for a Day

Mr. and Mrs. Smith

Smoke Signal

The First Grader

The Grocers Son

The Painted Veil

The River Why

The Ides of March

The Lucky Ones

The Man on the Train

The Willow Tree

Theo Angelopoulos - Eternity and a Day

Water

Welcome

...hopin someone likes some of these....movies can be a

wonderful distraction....what i do is watch off and on...

sometimes watchin for 2 mins...then goin back and

watchin for another 2 mins.  ...i have to do this on a bad

day...eventually i work my way through the movie.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Edit: personal information removed at members request

• 4 weeks later...
Just saw Money Ball last week - a true story - Brad Pitt was great and the story is tender, yet tough at times and very inspiring. Its' no wonder it got the Academy Award Nod for Best Actor (Brad) and Best Movie.

Well, I'm insanely sensitive even when I'm well, so now I'm off the charts.  But there are a few movies that just really make me feel good.  Sorry if these were already mentioned.

Never Cry Wolf

Anne of Green Gables/Anne of Avonlea

Benny and Joon (there was a scene that was upsetting where Joon has a panic attack, but you can just skip it)

• 1 month later...

I agree with SaraAnn, Moneyball is a great movie, especially for any true baseball fan. It's a pretty amazing story, but old-fashioned in that the dialogue and story itself tells the story much more than a lot of action scenes.

Albie

Bridesmaids was HILARIOUS! Just found out that we have The Princess Bride. Never watched it. Gonna give it a go now and try to distract from my sx's.

Never Been Kissed (Drew Barrymore), it´s light and easy to watch, a romantic comedy, ideal for easy watching.

Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind (Jim Carey & Kate Winslet) A great movie, probably a fave.

A League Of Their Own (Madonna, Tom Hanks) This has been mentioned, i hate sports films but this is really nice. Check it out. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Hey!

Great list thanks for taking tine to put it together.    :thumbsup:

One of my favorites that I didn't see was 'What About Bob'.    That is classic funny.......

:D

Kristin

I have to recommend a movie I loved, I love Jack Nickolson <3

As Good As it Gets

About 3 people all with problem but they keep working on them :thumbsup:

What About Bob....

so funny!! :)

My Idiot Brother is pretty funny, especially if you are an old hippie like me.  Even if your not the humor is great. 

• 9 months later...

Hey albie -- oh my how my dvd collection has grown while ive been going through this!! If I can add my own suggestions, I am a big fan of the disney / disneyesque overcoming adversity movies a la The blind side, so add these to the list:

Miracle

Glory road

Remember the titans

Rudy

The natural

HOOSIERS (of course!)

Mystery, alaska

I have found that "Lord of the Rings" has become very close to my heart, I have often felt like little Frodo carrying that ring during these withdrawals.

Molly :smitten:

Great additions, Hoosiersfans!

I have watched Rudy, Miracle, Remember the Titans, The Blindside and The Natural all within the past few months.

Great, inspiring movies. It's kind of nice and calming to watch those sorts of "Disney-esque" movies and re-realize that we really don't need nonstop expletives, gruesome scenes, murders, car chases etc. to get into a movie and have it be really great.

Speaking of "Disney-esque" movies, check out Iron Will, if you haven't seen it. It's a highly inspirational movie about a boy in a sled-dog race to save his family farm.

Peace out,

Albie

Anyone seen Charlie Bartlett?

"A rich kid becomes the self-appointed psychiatrist to the student body of his new high school."

Trailer-

It really cheered me up the other day.

• 1 year later...

Hey Buddies,

I haven't been online much for a long while, now going on 5 years Benzo-Free. But I started this thread (and "partially indexed" it) so I'm giving it a bump because I remember how calm, soothing, funny, romantic and inspirational movies helped me through my darkest times.

So happy new year! And keep on keepin' on buddies. 

P.S. Just had 2nd surgery in as many weeks and didn't go that smoothly. E.R. doctors were pushing Ativan in addition to pain meds. I calmly said, "No thank you. It's a long story, but benzos have a bad, paradoxical effect on me." End of discussion. The point being, I'm just a regular guy and I totally overcame benzos and ambien and you can too!

Hang tough, benzos, brighter days are on the horizon!

Peace out,

Albie

• 1 month later...

My Big Fat Greek Wedding

Pooh's Hufflump Movie - even the colors in this movie make me peaceful

School of Rock

Princess Diaries I&II

Pretty in Pink

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Legally Blonde

Thor: The Dark Lord

Harry Potter (all except the last two which bothered me during withdraw)

All mindless movies that have nothing to do with reality and can be watched over, and over again without meaning or attention, all mostly kid friendly

I went looking for movies today. I can't believe no one mentioned Downton Abbey. I am currently holding during a taper because at the end of my taper I was really really acute. It was really soothing to watch a TV show that was both a period piece and where the problems were mostly human, relationship problems. No overt violence or gore or anything like that.