"Benzo-safe" movies to watch during withdrawal -- Now Partially Indexed (Pg. 1)

[Al...]

You know what I think is good Benzo Safe Movie... "Catch Me if You Can". It's a true story and it does have it's painful moments but the funny ones far outweigh the sad ones.  Cast: Tom Hanks, Leonardo DiCaprio, Christopher Walken and Martin Sheen.  I think they've been showing it on HBO this week - I watched it this afternoon.

Also if you're old enough, reruns of All in the Family and Sanford and Son.  I love 'em both - they both went on air when I was about 9 or 10 and of course I appreciate the humor so much more now.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Al...]

• [sa...]

• [vi...]

• [Pa...]

Hi Sara,

I am sorry that I only just now saw your reply in the movie review section at BBs.  I appreciate your comments and advice regarding Precious.  I know that, based upon what you say, I am still in no shape to watch it.

My husband and sons went to see The Fighter and loved it.  I am just waiting to see it on video, but I will make a point to see it.  I will also add "Catch Me if You Can" to my list :)

Xenofears...I DID watch Dinner for Schmucks (not because I wanted to but because my mid-20's son wanted me to watch it with him, to which I acquiesced, just to have "fellowship" with him).  I thought the underlying message was good, but it WAS a painful movie to watch. :-\

~Leena :smitten:

Hey Leena - glad you're going to get "The Fighter" and maybe rent "Catch me if you can".  Also, I love "A Few Good Men".

Here's a big movie no no, at least for me.  Because Elizabeth Taylor died, TCM showed "Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf".  I had seen it in my teens and really didn't understand it so I thought, Oh Goody, Taylor's best role (Academy award), Richard Burton, George Segal, Sandy Dennis (who got best supporting actress).

Jesus Christ! As an adult I understood everything that was going on.  It makes Precious look like "The Little Mermaid" (not quite but you get my drift).  Talk about pure hatred, emotional manipulation, alcoholism, verbal abuse, cruelty and so on and so on.  I would love to watch it again sometime BUT NOT NOW!  I was so disappointed that I couldn't handle it.

OK, sometimes you have to find out for yourself....

Sara :smitten:

Hi Xenofears,

That was the hardest movie that I have ever watched.  Again, it was because my son wanted me to watch it with him.

I usually learn at least something from these movie experiences (in this case, I could identify somewhat with the mom's desire to fit into the red dress... :()

And of course, the obvious:  drug addiction ruins lives.

My son tried to stop the ending before I had to see it, but it didn't stop in time.  The scene from the end of the movie will be hopelessly "stuck" in my memory forever.

~Leena

• 1 month later...

...just found this thread.  ...it great.

...i am findin movies that i have never seen and ones that are easy for me to view.

...i...too...many months ago had an EXTREMELY diffiuclt time watchin any movie!  ..i just couldn't.  ...over time i have made myself watch them...even if it took me the entire day to get thru one.

...what a great idea to make this thread.

...i believe..over time...even if you can't watch a movie today....you will be able to do so in the future.  ...over lots of time...the cns settles...thoughts stop racin...scary stuff stops triggerin the now hyperexcited mind.  ...have faith...your time will come.

...thx to all who have shared here.

-sam-

[1a...]

Just a few shows I watched. This is when I was bed bound.

Skins, Keeping Up Appearances, KyleXY, Will & Grace, Friends, Quantum Leap, and a few others that are on Netflix.. Just random funny stuff.

S#

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah!! a fun topic! :yippee:

Perhaps burnt minds think alike,  but w/d or not, I LOVE the Coen Bros! So now and forever, The Big Lebowski, Fargo and A Serious Man!(!)

Just saw I Love you Phillip Morris.  Burnt and based on a true story.

Also loved The Men who Stare at Goats.  Again, really funny and based on a true story.  completely underrated IMHO.

Kid's movies that may not have been mentioned....Matilda, Hercules, and of course, Charlotte's Web.

Amelie is perfect!!

And don't forget Mel Brooks!  Robin Hood Men in Tights, and family favorite, Spaceballs :thumbsup:

My two cents,

itzweird

Yeah!! a fun topic! :yippee:

Perhaps burnt minds think alike,  but w/d or not, I LOVE the Coen Bros! So now and forever, The Big Lebowski, Fargo and A Serious Man!(!)

Just saw I Love you Phillip Morris.  Burnt and based on a true story.

Also loved The Men who Stare at Goats.  Again, really funny and based on a true story.  completely underrated IMHO.

Kid's movies that may not have been mentioned....Matilda, Hercules, and of course, Charlotte's Web.

Amelie is perfect!!

And don't forget Mel Brooks!  Robin Hood Men in Tights, and family favorite, Spaceballs :thumbsup:

My two cents,

itzweird

Oh how I wished I had watched both Charlotte's Web (even though I would have cried) and Spaceballs (very funny!) during my brief c/t attempt last year.  Instead I chose to watch Night of the Living Dead (the remake) and the first 3 Jaws movies  ::)

cwj,

I could not handle jaws/nite of the living dead in benzo- reptilian brain mode :P (though Shaun of the Dead--DEFINITELY!)

And yes, I cry every time i see or read Charlotte's Web to a child. I cannot blame that on benzos, as I have always cried at any schmaltzy movie!

I am about to watch Red (great cast know nothing about it) with my son.  Hope it is funny as I am trying to wake up from this cog fog...

Blessings,

itzsweird

Sarann,

I will try and check out your recommendation.  Could use a laugh the way I have been feeling!

Right now I am watching Benjamin Button.  I don't know if it is my benzo brain or not, but for the first twenty minutes or so, Benjamin looked sooo much to me like Dick Cheney, I had absolutely ZERO sympathy for the main character.  However,he is beginning to look like Brad Pitt now, so I will see this movie though :) 

itzsweird

Sarann,

I will try and check out your recommendation.  Could use a laugh the way I have been feeling!

Right now I am watching Benjamin Button.  I don't know if it is my benzo brain or not, but for the first twenty minutes or so, Benjamin looked sooo much to me like Dick Cheney, I had absolutely ZERO sympathy for the main character.   However,he is beginning to look like Brad Pitt now, so I will see this movie though :) 

itzsweird

itzweird,

you're too funny - Dick Cheney!  Hysterical!  :2funny:  It is a very strange movie - actually taken from a short story but I can't think of the author right now.

You know another movie I love - it can be tough at times to watch but I love the music and in the end it's uplifting.

"Ray" - the story of Ray Charles life.  It's not that it's a violent movie, it's just heart breaking at times and deals with addiction.  But what a life he lead and talent beyond belief!  I'm a rock-in' roll gal but I love Ray's early stuff (the gospel/country music I can do without) but the R&B - I keep tapping my foot and want to sing with it!  And Jammie Fox is outstanding - he deserved the Oscar that year.

Take Care,

Sara

• 1 month later...

I just saw this last night - it's a Disney Movie and a bit "hoakey" but Diane Lane and John Malkovich are in it.

Secreterait - very benzo safe.  I actually remember watching the real triple crown races - I was only 10!

I just saw this topic.

TV Series that I love :

Friends, Desperate Housewives, Two and a Half Men, Sex and The City, House, Man Behaving Badly(UK), As Time Goes By (UK)

Film:

Titanic, Pearl Harbor (mostly cause of Ben Affleck  :)), The Barber of Siberia, PS I Love You, Mediterraneo (Italian), Il Mostro (The Monster-great Italian comedy), Life is Beautiful (La vita e bella -beautiful Italian film but not recommend for very emotional-crying too much), The Tiger and the Snow (also Italian beautiful, Roberto Benigni is great)

Disney animated:

Mulan, Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, Monsters Inc, Toy Story....all Disney animated

Ma brain is blocked so that is for now

Marija

And of course how can I forget

Numb(Matthew Perry)  is a 2007 American drama film written and directed by Harris Goldberg. According to an interview with Goldberg on a bonus feature of the DVD release, he was inspired to write the screenplay by his own experience battling depersonalization disorder and clinical depression.

highly recommendation for this film....love it...comedy also

I am boring about this film but I hope is worth it cause the film can help you

Marija

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Great thread here!

My Faves to watch over and over for laughter and/or relaxation:

Pow Wow Highway ;)

Never Cry Wolf (viewed 75+ times since it came out) 8)

Fun with Dick and Jane ? (the one with Jim Carrey :))

Any/All Marx Brothers Movies  :laugh:

Greatest Story Ever Told  :angel:

Keeping Up Appearances (the whole series)  :laugh:

Ok, now I am gonna go read and write down many of the other suggestions on this thread.  Great!

I enjoy "numb" the movie has great comedic tone... nice flick about depersonalization.  I would recommend  watching "donnie darko" keeps my mind thinking about the movie. Happy viewing!

I saw 2 movies last weekend- one that I loved and another that was cute.

I think Woody Allen's "Midnight in Paris" is wonderful- clever, funny, great performances.  I highly recommend it.

The other movie was more typical Rom-Com fare-  Crazy, Stupid Love

And wouldn't you know it?  Both movies somehow managed to slip in a Valium reference !    This stuff is pervasive.    :crazy:

I just saw it today although it's been out for a while - "Grown Ups" - Kevin James, Adam Sander, David Spade, Chris rock and Rob Schneider. Selma Hayek and Maria Bello. 

It's definitely benzo safe but didn't get great reviews by any means - it's more that that they are some very funny scenes but allot of low brow humor.  I liked it  - not one of my faves but anything that can give me a chuckle for a few times over the course of almost 2  hours is OK and safe for me!

Marry...I agree...Numb is a great movie!

Others I love to watch when I have some "me time" (they may have been mentioned in this thread)...Big Fish, Practical Magic, Benny and Joon, The Jane Austen Book Club and I love Vince Vaughn movies like Dodge Ball or The Break-Up.