Low Dose Naltrexone - Very Helpful

[ne...]

There are some who have concerns about addiction to LDN or that it is addictive / has dependence issues.

Personally, I have stopped LDN CT more than once with zero issues.

I can find no study to substantiate addiction or dependence properties.

There are no organ issues with use per all studies I have seen even in doses as high as 300mg.

If you find any studies relating to addiction or dependence, please post them here so all can see the science.

Some feel worse when they stop taking it as the pain relief and disease issues they started it for begin to progress again.

It may NOT help with withdrawal issues at all.  I'm not sure if it does.

I know it is helpful for pain and many diseases because it helps to balance the immune system.

It has improved the quality of life for thousands of people and very few doctors know about it.

I hope to stay on the science behind the way it works and the cost / benefit analysis that I wish I doctor's would have done with us prior to giving our first script for benzos.

Again, please post any research or studies showing addiction or dependence on LDN.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ne...]

• [...]

• [pr...]

• [Be...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I do hope you keep pointing everyone to this one thread so they can get a balanced view and make their own informed decision. 

I am, it's in my sig.

Why no mention in the body of your posts as well, it's very easy to miss it in your sig.

As far as marking and sales, not one site I point to is selling anything except the sites that are the compounding pharmacies or pharmacies and they are providing the much needed service that has helped many.

Don't worry about it, the Admins have deactivated it.

The https://www.ldnscience.org/ site is Hersey Medical Center Penn State University.

That site is *NOT* Hersey Medical Center Penn State University.

I have posted all the links as it is part of the rules of the board. To post links to sites that have information so it's not all personal opinion.

As I've said, my issue is with you cherry-picking and heralding only the positives (as you perceive them), and your apparent reluctance to share any cautionary information.

I did a lot of work and this is a list of the sites I found that I could understand and that helped me. There is a wikipedia site I couldn't fully understand and I am adding that here. I am unable to add to the first post as the modify button is gone after a few hours.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-dose_naltrexone

Thank you for adding that.  Good article, a good place to start the research.  I'm sure if you ask the Mods, they'll add it to your first post.

The Dudley site is a clearing house of information also. Nothing is sold there. He is one of the hardest working individuals on the yahoo group.

He sells his book there (maybe other stuff too, not sure).  Quick Google search reveals he's been spamming various forums for ten plus years, all kinds of "remedies", not just LDN.   

It has been proven effective in Autistic children.

"Proven"?  How so?  And for what definition of "autistic" anyway?  Rhetorical questions there, no need to answer, just too weird for me, confused.  Is this a benzo forum or what?  ::)

I hope you find things that work for you.

I'm sorry if this feels like a sales thread to you.

I'm not making any money on this, only sharing information.

Some are passionate about CBD oil and some about magic mushrooms.

With that information from those threads, I have decided that those are not on my path to healing.

If you feel this thread is not within the guidelines of the board, please report this and the moderators will pull it.

Yes, I'm afraid it feels like one big sales/marketing thread to me.  I've participated in several CBD oil and MMJ threads, all personal stories, intelligent, well balanced discussion. 

There are no organ issues with use per all studies I have seen even in doses as high as 300mg.

It may NOT help with withdrawal issues at all.  I'm not sure if it does.

Liver damage at high doses.  FDA boxed warning!!!  :tickedoff:  And now you're saying it may NOT help with withdrawal?  :laugh:  I give up now.  :brickwall:

Look, I'm a little sorry you're not able to see it from a different point of view.  But that's not my concern here.  I understand and appreciate that you've made up your mind this is a wondrous med for yourself and which you'll be taking for the rest of your life.  Each to their own, you've done your research, and I sincerely do hope it continues to live up to all your expectations.  Hope you'll keep everyone posted.

To wrap up, what I do take great issue with is that, as a direct result of this type of aggressive sales pitching all over BB, and the messenger's unwillingness to disclose the full picture, there's always that very real risk of putting another very desperate, vulnerable and hurting member in harm's way!  I'm sorry we're not on the same page here.  After all, we're all in this mess together, looking for some relief, all trying to fight our way out of a paper bag. 

My allegiance lies with my fellow BBs, not with the LDN movement.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23110786

It works on tinnitus too!

OMG!! This is fabulous news....gotta get me some of that.....:heybabe:  Seriously...thanks Birdy. I'm going to talk to my doc about this.

Hmmmm, I'm not sure if you gals are having some fun here now, or whether you're actually being serious?  :-\

I'll assume that you're aware that they're looking at the *perception* and *distress* of tinnitus.  Right?  As in "tinnitus related distress" and "tinnitus complaints".  NOT the actual tinnitus itself:  "No significant effect could be obtained for tinnitus intensity"

Oh, and another teeny detail, as per the study: 

*)  "A closer look at the data indicates that this effect is mainly generated due to a significant difference in the 50 mg drug treatment group for tinnitus distress". 

*)  "Our results indicate that naltrexone might have an effect on tinnitus distress and more particularly higher doses of naltrexone

So for best results you'd probably want to ask your doc for 50mg.  Which doesn't qualify as low-dose.  But hey ...

Good luck! ;) 

I agree, that study was done on full dose Naltrexone.

Did you have any luck finding any studies on withdrawl or addiction issues with LDN?

Every study I found was on treating addiction, not addiction or dependence on LDN.

Any studies on that are much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I agree, that study was done on full dose Naltrexone.

Did you have any luck finding any studies on withdrawl or addiction issues with LDN?

Every study I found was on treating addiction, not addiction or dependence on LDN.

Thanks in advance.

You agree with me, oh well, whoopee doo for me then. ::)

Look.  I think/I hope I've made my point that I find your "research" far from stellar and, furthermore, I'm convinced - without a doubt - that you are clearly incapable of fully comprehending, analyzing and interpreting the information you're reading.  And, thereby you're spewing misinformation with wide abandon across BB.  You, yourself, stated that you were unable to fully understand the very basic and, IMO, rather easy-to-read Wikipedia article.  Did you not?  That being the case, safe to conclude that you're having great difficulty in fully understanding the scholarly studies you're wildly throwing about. 

Now, if you take umbrage and disagree with that, then I must arrive at the conclusion that you are being very disingenuous, and are knowingly and deliberately concealing and fabricating the facts - without any regard for the well being of others - willfully misleading the very people from whom you're seeking support.

Blunt and to the point, calling it as I see it.  So which one is it, Nexttime?  For what it's worth, I believe it's a bit of both.  And if that's the case, well, that just sucks.

Thanks in advance.

Case in point, again illustrating how I arrive at my conclusion.  Surely, one would assume anyone who claimed to have done a sh1t load of research on a med - AND who had firsthand experience of a hellish withdrawal - AND who was posting information on a WITHDRAWAL forum - would have done their homework and been able to report their findings. 

But instead, this is what we see on the first page of your "LDN Recruitment" ::) thread:

Side Effects:

LDN has virtually no side effects. Occasionally, during the first week's use of LDN, patients may complain of some difficulty sleeping. This rarely persists after the first week. Should it do so, dosage can be reduced from 4.5mg to 3mg or less nightly.  You can stop LDN cold turkey and I’ve not read or heard one story of any negative effects. Only neutral. 

http://ldninfo.org/#Are_there_any_side_effects

Well, let's add insult to injury, shall we.  I just this minute clicked on that link and see you've altered the quote to suit your agenda.  Safe to say, I assume most others also failed to read it, thus taking you at your word.  And, by the way, that very link mentions the adverse liver effects which you previously emphatically denied.  Your words, "There are no organ issues with use per all studies I have seen even in doses as high as 300mg." 

For others reading, the above link also includes a cautionary warning for thyroid issues.  Be aware that it makes NO MENTION WHATSOEVER that you can stop cold turkey.  That postulation was added into the quote by the host of this thread.

So why the change of heart, Nexttime?  Are you starting to doubt your own "fact finding"?  Why are you asking others (me?) to find information for you?  What about hardworking Dudley Doodley on that Yahoo group?  Or all those doctors supposedly available there?  Is it not a given they're your experts and would have that (mis)information?

I'm calling BS on all this!  Sucks!

::)  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)

Addressing this to others reading.  My own thoughts/suggestions having now been sucked into doing some digging into all the claims and hype surrounding LDN.

How I'd go about it if I were considering being a guinea pig for the LDN movement. 

I'd start by doing a very thorough BB search and reaching out to members who have already gone this route.  We're all aware of how sensitized our systems have become, and there's a good chance we'll have a different experience from those not in benzo recovery.

I've added feedback from the few BBs I found from just a quick search here.  Note, they are NOT glowing reports!

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=165238.msg2216405#msg2216405

I'd suggest also searching BB via Google for better results.  (I have not gone to those lengths myself).

I'd personally also go to the different Facebook groups and do some crowdsourcing.  The best information, IMO, is from firsthand users without an agenda, where there's some thoughtful and intelligent discussion and *transparent* information sharing.  I know that's what I'd do, rather than listening to one (less than credible, IMO, sad to say) member's sales pitch about his own miraculous experience and that of his neighbor's daughter.  ::)  I'm trying to go easy on the eye roll emoti, sigh.

The studies, if one reads them carefully (and preferably not during benzo brain days  :D) show that they are very, very small.  For example, testing Crohns in kids, TWELVE participants!!!  WTF?  And far from conclusive.  You'll find conclusions such as this:

AUTHORS' CONCLUSIONS:

Currently, there is insufficient evidence to allow any firm conclusions regarding the efficacy and safety of LDN used to treat patients with active Crohn's disease. Data from one small study suggests that LDN may provide a benefit in terms of clinical and endoscopic response in adult patients with active Crohn's disease. Data from two small studies suggest that LDN does not increase the rate of specific adverse events relative to placebo. However, these results need to be interpreted with caution as they are based on very small numbers of patients and the overall quality of the evidence was rated as low due to serious imprecision. Further randomized controlled trials are required to assess the efficacy and safety of LDN therapy in active Crohn's disease in both adults and children. One study is currently ongoing (NCT01810185).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24558033

I recognize I'm sounding more and more snarky here.  The OP and I clearly appear to be on opposite ends of the moral compass.  And I'm in too much pain/grief to spend hours editing and re-editing and trying to choose my words carefully and get the tone just right.

I was being serious when I said I truly don't know whether Birdy and CeCe were being serious and mis/interpreting that study as an effective LDN treatment for tinnitus?  Or whether they were having some fun and trying to lend some support to their friend, the OP?  If the former, that illustrates the point I'm making here, how easily bad/harmful information is taken at face value and spreads like wildfire around BB.  Potentially adding extra pain/suffering.  If the latter, and you feel I'm being unfair on the OP, I'd encourage you to speak up.  I have no problem with hearing another viewpoint, after all, maybe I'm the one with crazy benzo brain and I'm the one with poor judgment.

The reason for posting today is because I became irate seeing this newbie BB - two months post jump - now also infiltrating the Protracted board with his snake oil pitch (and more BS commercial links  ::)) ...  And - my main beef with him - his ongoing lack of transparency and brazen reluctance to disclose full information and encourage people to read this thread for a fuller picture.  How is that right?  Are we all in this together and supposedly watching each other's backs.  Or not?  Dunno so much.

FYI, I have made the Mods aware of my concerns and, as I see it, the possibility/probability of future harm to others.  And it's their call obviously to agree or disagree.  For what it's worth, I think the host of this thread is being cut some slack because (besides this bullsh1t), he comes across as a genuinely nice, caring and supportive member who's going through a rough time.  But, goes without saying, that's merely my own personal opinion. 

Can't help myself, have to end off by throwing this in ...

[nobbc]

[/edit: disallowed image deactivatedi]

Full dose 50mg Naltrexone

LDN dose is 1/10 or many times less

Abstract

Since a black box warning was issued by the Food and Drug Administration regarding the use of the opiate antagonist naltrexone (NTX), many clinicians have been concerned about current labeling of the potential hepatotoxicity risk of NTX in the treatment of opiate dependence and alcoholism. Despite many reports that demonstrated that the use of NTX did not cause elevation of liver enzymes, controversy concerning whether NTX is hepatotoxic continues. The current study monitored 74 alcoholic patients who received 25mg of NTX daily in the first week and then 50mg of NTX daily for the rest of the 12-week period. After the 12-week treatment, levels of the hepatic enzymes alanine aminotransferase (ALT) and aspartate aminotransferase (AST) did not show any elevation, except in one subject, and the results strongly support that NTX did not induce abnormalities in liver function tests or elevate the liver enzymes. Instead, a statistical significance of decreasing levels of ALT and AST in the liver was shown throughout the study. These findings provide further support that NTX is not hepatotoxic at the recommended daily dose and may be beneficial for patients with elevated liver enzymes.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16839858

Full dose 50mg Naltrexone

LDN dose is 1/10 or many times less

"Naltrexone is not a narcotic. It works by blocking the effects of narcotics, especially the "high'' feeling that makes you want to use them. It also may block the "high'' feeling that may make you want to use alcohol. It will not produce any narcotic-like effects or cause mental or physical dependence. It will not prevent you from becoming impaired while drinking alcohol.

Naltrexone will cause withdrawal symptoms in people who are physically dependent on narcotics. Naltrexone treatment is started after you are no longer dependent on narcotics. The length of time this takes may depend on which narcotic you took, the amount you took, and how long you took it. Before you start taking this medicine, be sure to tell your doctor if you think you are still having withdrawal symptoms. "

http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/naltrexone-oral-route/description/drg-20068408

From the first post in this thread...when not to start LDN if on the following medications, complies with the warning in bold above.

https://sites.google.com/site/dudleyslowdosenaltrexonesites/home/drugs-to-avoid-on-ldn

Addressing this to others reading.  My own thoughts/suggestions having now been sucked into doing some digging into all the claims and hype surrounding LDN.

How I'd go about it if I were considering being a guinea pig for the LDN movement. 

I'd start by doing a very thorough BB search and reaching out to members who have already gone this route.  We're all aware of how sensitized our systems have become, and there's a good chance we'll have a different experience from those not in benzo recovery.

I've added feedback from the few BBs I found from just a quick search here.  Note, they are NOT glowing reports!

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=165238.msg2216405#msg2216405

I'd suggest also searching BB via Google for better results.  (I have not gone to those lengths myself).

I'd personally also go to the different Facebook groups and do some crowdsourcing.  The best information, IMO, is from firsthand users without an agenda, where there's some thoughtful and intelligent discussion and *transparent* information sharing.  I know that's what I'd do, rather than listening to one (less than credible, IMO, sad to say) member's sales pitch about his own miraculous experience and that of his neighbor's daughter.  ::)  I'm trying to go easy on the eye roll emoti, sigh.

The studies, if one reads them carefully (and preferably not during benzo brain days  :D) show that they are very, very small.  For example, testing Crohns in kids, TWELVE participants!!!  WTF?  And far from conclusive.  You'll find conclusions such as this:

AUTHORS' CONCLUSIONS:

Currently, there is insufficient evidence to allow any firm conclusions regarding the efficacy and safety of LDN used to treat patients with active Crohn's disease. Data from one small study suggests that LDN may provide a benefit in terms of clinical and endoscopic response in adult patients with active Crohn's disease. Data from two small studies suggest that LDN does not increase the rate of specific adverse events relative to placebo. However, these results need to be interpreted with caution as they are based on very small numbers of patients and the overall quality of the evidence was rated as low due to serious imprecision. Further randomized controlled trials are required to assess the efficacy and safety of LDN therapy in active Crohn's disease in both adults and children. One study is currently ongoing (NCT01810185).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24558033

I recognize I'm sounding more and more snarky here.  The OP and I clearly appear to be on opposite ends of the moral compass.  And I'm in too much pain/grief to spend hours editing and re-editing and trying to choose my words carefully and get the tone just right.

I was being serious when I said I truly don't know whether Birdy and CeCe were being serious and mis/interpreting that study as an effective LDN treatment for tinnitus?  Or whether they were having some fun and trying to lend some support to their friend, the OP?  If the former, that illustrates the point I'm making here, how easily bad/harmful information is taken at face value and spreads like wildfire around BB.  Potentially adding extra pain/suffering.  If the latter, and you feel I'm being unfair on the OP, I'd encourage you to speak up.  I have no problem with hearing another viewpoint, after all, maybe I'm the one with crazy benzo brain and I'm the one with poor judgment.

The reason for posting today is because I became irate seeing this newbie BB - two months post jump - now also infiltrating the Protracted board with his snake oil pitch (and more BS commercial links  ::)) ...  And - my main beef with him - his ongoing lack of transparency and brazen reluctance to disclose full information and encourage people to read this thread for a fuller picture.  How is that right?  Are we all in this together and supposedly watching each other's backs.  Or not?  Dunno so much.

FYI, I have made the Mods aware of my concerns and, as I see it, the possibility/probability of future harm to others.  And it's their call obviously to agree or disagree.  For what it's worth, I think the host of this thread is being cut some slack because (besides this bullsh1t), he comes across as a genuinely nice, caring and supportive member who's going through a rough time.  But, goes without saying, that's merely my own personal opinion. 

Can't help myself, have to end off by throwing this in ...

[nobbc]

[/edit: disallowed image deactivatedi]

Yes abcd, you are being quite snarky.  While we encourage discussion and even healthy debate, it is not appropriate post in a manner that is abusive and unkind.  There are a lot of supplements and drugs that are discussed on the forum. It's through discussion and reports from those who have experience with said formulas that members can decide for themselves if they wish to look further into it.

We have, as we have had time, disabled all commercial links. 

I would hope that members would cite research that supports other point of views or outcomes. That is the appropriate way to disagree or find fault with the studies you are referencing.  We've seen flawed studies relating to drugs and supplements, a lot of them.  It is perfectly fine to point out the issues relating to the studies but it must be done in a respectful manner, as per forum rules and guidelines.

I think all of us here want to look out for our fragile members lest they think there is some "magic" cure for withdrawal.  The best way to do this is by citing empirical evidence to contradict the findings shown in the various studies. 

•Be polite towards, and respectful of, your fellow Buddies. We do not tolerate attacks upon fellow members. Any account created for the purposes of causing arguments and/or ill-feeling will be banned.

pianogirl

December 2014:

PTSD Found to be Significantly Improved With LDN.  A recently published report from Germany details important success in the use of low dose naltrexone (LDN) for treating Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). The illness involves prolonged severe anxiety following a painful ordeal and is associated with repeated re-experiencing of such events as well as general avoidance along with gloomy thoughts and feelings. This problem has affected large numbers of troops returning from wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Excerpt: The low dose treatment with naltrexone proved to be effective whereby 11 out of 15 patients reported immediate positive effects and 7 described a lasting helpful effect. The majority of patients who felt positive effects reported a clearer perception of both their surroundings and their inner life. Assessment of reality and dealing with it improved as did the perception of their own body and affects as well as self-regulation. The treatment was very low in side effects....Treatment with low-dose naltrexone may be a helpful element in the treatment of patients with complex posttraumatic stress disorder.

http://www.lowdosenaltrexone.org/ldn_latest_news.htm

I would hope that members would cite research that supports other point of views or outcomes. That is the appropriate way to disagree or find fault with the studies you are referencing.  We've seen flawed studies relating to drugs and supplements, a lot of them.  It is perfectly fine to point out the issues relating to the studies but it must be done in a respectful manner, as per forum rules and guidelines.

I agree 100%. That said...

December 2014:

PTSD Found to be Significantly Improved With LDN.  A recently published report from Germany details important success in the use of low dose naltrexone (LDN) for treating Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). The illness involves prolonged severe anxiety following a painful ordeal and is associated with repeated re-experiencing of such events as well as general avoidance along with gloomy thoughts and feelings. This problem has affected large numbers of troops returning from wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Excerpt: The low dose treatment with naltrexone proved to be effective whereby 11 out of 15 patients reported immediate positive effects and 7 described a lasting helpful effect. The majority of patients who felt positive effects reported a clearer perception of both their surroundings and their inner life. Assessment of reality and dealing with it improved as did the perception of their own body and affects as well as self-regulation. The treatment was very low in side effects....Treatment with low-dose naltrexone may be a helpful element in the treatment of patients with complex posttraumatic stress disorder.

Continual links about the efficacy off LDN where the only source is an LDN website don't do much to convince me. In fact, they make me suspicious and make me think I shouldn't consider LDN.

If anything, I want to be able to consider alternative treatments as necessary and what Nexttime is doing is making it so I don't take LDN seriously. Isn't that also bad?

LDN is realativly unknown so there are only a few sources that are .org sites.

A google search will reveal many sites talking about LDN but they many times are personal sites and they reference many of the same sites.

Example:

[nobbc]https://nolahepper.blogspot.com/2010/02/low-dose-naltrexone-ldn-and-liver.html[/nobbc]

This person has many links to the same studies and it does mention

"Living in New Orleans, Louisiana with Hepatitis C and how taking Low Dose Naltrexone (LDN)to treat it is giving me back my life."

Which is not scolarly research but is a personal account.

The information is limited somewhat limited for non commercial sites which are not allowed on the board per my understanding of the board guidelines.

The ones with the latest information and most active non commercial sites I could post were from the 3 main .org sites.

http://ldninfo.org/

https://www.ldnscience.org/

http://www.ldnresearchtrust.org/

Beyond these 3, A google search for LDN reveals a lot of search hits. A few listed below

other sites / examples

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Treating-MS/Complementary-Alternative-Medicines/Low-Dose-Naltrexone

https://search.nih.gov/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&affiliate=nih&query=ldn&commit=Search

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-dose_naltrexone

[nobbc]http://www.drwhitaker.com/what-is-low-dose-naltrexone/[/nobbc]

[nobbc]https://www.patientslikeme.com/treatment_evaluations/browse/64-low-dose-naltrexone-ldn-side-effects-and-efficacy?brand=t[/nobbc]

[nobbc]https://chriskresser.com/low-dose-naltrexone-ldn-as-a-treatment-for-autoimmune-disease/[/nobbc]

[nobbc]http://www.jillcarnahan.com/2015/12/19/low-dose-naltrexone-the-treatment-youve-never-heard-of/http://www.medpagetoday.com/rheumatology/fibromyalgia/13785[/nobbc]

I just figured out how to post those and stay in board guidelines. They are not active links now.

I agree 100%. That said...

December 2014:

Continual links about the efficacy off LDN where the only source is an LDN website don't do much to convince me. In fact, they make me suspicious and make me think I shouldn't consider LDN.

If anything, I want to be able to consider alternative treatments as necessary and what Nexttime is doing is making it so I don't take LDN seriously. Isn't that also bad?

Here is where that link leads to you are asking about for the PTSD study.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25421416

The reason for posting today is because I became irate seeing this newbie BB - two months post jump - now also infiltrating the Protracted board with his snake oil pitch (and more BS commercial links  ::)) ...

i can understand how abcd is feeling as i have similar feelings when a newbie comes on the protracted board and starts making claims -- when they haven't even gone down even a little bit of the road that the protracted members have gone down. we don't like it when we feel misunderstood. and most of us know what it really takes and length it takes sometimes for healing.

i can understand how abcd is feeling as i have similar feelings when a newbie comes on the protracted board and starts telling everyone what is the best thing to do for healing when they haven't even gone down even a little bit of the road that the protracted members have gone down. we don't like it when we feel misunderstood. and most of us know what it really takes and length it takes sometimes for healing.

My sincere apologies if I did that..I had no idea!!!

I try to be very sensitive to everyone here and I must have followed a thread from unread posts since last log on. I don't go in there directly.

If I did that, I TOTALLY GET why you would be upset.

Please PM me the links where I did that and I will remove if I still have access as the ability to remove expires in about 24 hours. I've looked but only found where I spoke to someone about thyroid issues and how my TSH levels are back in range.

Again, I sincerely apologize for any posting on any protracted thread that even hinted that LDN was any solution for protracted withdrawal. No one can make such claims.

I hope you will find it in your heart to forgive me for offending or upsetting you in any way.

i can understand how abcd is feeling as i have similar feelings when a newbie comes on the protracted board and starts telling everyone what is the best thing to do for healing when they haven't even gone down even a little bit of the road that the protracted members have gone down. we don't like it when we feel misunderstood. and most of us know what it really takes and length it takes sometimes for healing.

My sincere apologies if I did that..I had no idea!!!

I try to be very sensitive to everyone here and I must have followed a thread from unread posts since last log on. I don't go in there directly.

If I did that, I TOTALLY GET why you would be upset.

Please PM me the links where I did that and I will remove if I still have access as the ability to remove expires in about 24 hours. I've looked but only found where I spoke to someone about thyroid issues and how my TSH levels are back in range.

Again, I sincerely apologize for any posting on any protracted thread that even hinted that LDN was any solution for protracted withdrawal. No one can make such claims.

I hope you will find it in your heart to forgive me for offending or upsetting you in any way.

absolutely was not referring to you nexttime! i didn't even see your post in the protracted section.

i was just having an agreement in general. not directed towards you at all and sorry if you took it that way. :)

I have just started LDN for thyroid and PCOS.

I have taken 1 mg for 2 nights. Is there any reason to stay at this dose for a week or so or can I move on to 1.5mg?

I am hoping that the lowest therapeutic dose (1.5 mg) will work for me as I am so drug sensitive.

I personally have done best when increasing no more than 0.5 ml every 7 days. I usually choose Sunday evening as an easy way to remember. When I have done larger increases, I have noticed some symptoms at times, although very mild. Usually some insomnia. Dropping back to the previous dose I used, and the insomnia went away.

This was just posted in the yahoo group this morning:

"To avoid unpleasant side effects (like spasticity) that sometimes cause people to stop taking LDN, pharmacist Dr. Skip Lenz (who has 18 years' experience dispensing LDN to literally thousands of patients) recommends  a starting dose of 1.5 mg at bedtime and gradually increasing it over several weeks to 3 mg and, if need be, to 4.5 mg.

Some people whose side effects are so troublesome that even the above low doses are too much have found that morning dosing for a couple of weeks and then switching to evening dosing works for them."

"People who have multiple chemical sensitivities are advised to start LDN at a dose of .5 mg at bedtime, and increase it by .5 mg every two weeks. Some authorities also suggest a starting dose of .5 mg for Hashimotos, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and fibromyalgia, increased by .5mg each week until 4.5mg is reached."

Quotes from:

http://tinyurl.com/ldn-side-effects-and-dosing

Yahoo Group:

Highly Recommended. You can get any question answered relating to LDN.

Dr. David Glick's Son started this group. There should be someone there with experience of LDN and PCO.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/lowdosenaltrexone/info

I hope you share your experience over time.

I personally have done best when increasing no more than 0.5 ml every 7 days. I usually choose Sunday evening as an easy way to remember. When I have done larger increases, I have noticed some symptoms at times, although very mild. Usually some insomnia. Dropping back to the previous dose I used, and the insomnia went away.

This was just posted in the yahoo group this morning:

"To avoid unpleasant side effects (like spasticity) that sometimes cause people to stop taking LDN, pharmacist Dr. Skip Lenz (who has 18 years' experience dispensing LDN to literally thousands of patients) recommends  a starting dose of 1.5 mg at bedtime and gradually increasing it over several weeks to 3 mg and, if need be, to 4.5 mg.

Some people whose side effects are so troublesome that even the above low doses are too much have found that morning dosing for a couple of weeks and then switching to evening dosing works for them."

"People who have multiple chemical sensitivities are advised to start LDN at a dose of .5 mg at bedtime, and increase it by .5 mg every two weeks. Some authorities also suggest a starting dose of .5 mg for Hashimotos, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and fibromyalgia, increased by .5mg each week until 4.5mg is reached."

Quotes from:

http://tinyurl.com/ldn-side-effects-and-dosing

Yahoo Group:

Highly Recommended. You can get any question answered relating to LDN.

Dr. David Glick's Son started this group. There should be someone there with experience of LDN and PCO.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/lowdosenaltrexone/info

I hope you share your experience over time.

Thank you Nexttime.

I've started at 1mg and have had no issues since the first night, where I was awake for a little longer than usual (but only 30 min or so).

I am not on thyroid meds at this point.

I had no idea that spasticity was a potential problem. Is there a way to avoid this?

I am VERY drug sensitive so I will take 1 mg for at least 1 week, probably 10 days and then increase to 1.5 mg. I will probably stay at that dose if its effective for me. I really don't think I will need 4.5 mg.

Yes I will post progress here.

Staying at the lower dose will usually avoid the issue.  If it does occur, go lower in dose and it will go away.

I started at 3ml and after a 2 days, jumped to 4.5ml. I went right back to 3.0 because of insomnia.

It went away.

LDN is only in the system for around 4 hours.

I also noted in your sig..you may require less insulin over time if you are taking for diabetes.

This is from the Yahoo group, not my post:

"For some reason especially those with MS, LDN can exacerbate spasms - it does with my partner. He also had difficulty with the higher dosing and fairs much better on 2mg taken 3 times a week.

This may be of interest from Dr Bihari:-

There are some rare individuals who can't seem to tolerate naltrexone at the 3 mg dosage. In those cases Dr. Bihari has suggested that they remain at a lower dosage of 2 mg or even 1.5 mg.

[nobbc]http://www.mwt.net/~drbrewer/lownaltrex.htm [/nobbc]"

Staying at the lower dose will usually avoid the issue.  If it does occur, go lower in dose and it will go away.

I started at 3ml and after a 2 days, jumped to 4.5ml. I went right back to 3.0 because of insomnia.

It went away.

LDN is only in the system for around 4 hours.

I also noted in your sig..you may require less insulin over time if you are taking for diabetes.

This is from the Yahoo group, not my post:

"For some reason especially those with MS, LDN can exacerbate spasms - it does with my partner. He also had difficulty with the higher dosing and fairs much better on 2mg taken 3 times a week.

This may be of interest from Dr Bihari:-

There are some rare individuals who can't seem to tolerate naltrexone at the 3 mg dosage. In those cases Dr. Bihari has suggested that they remain at a lower dosage of 2 mg or even 1.5 mg.

[nobbc]http://www.mwt.net/~drbrewer/lownaltrex.htm [/nobbc]"

I found that after a few nights at 1 mg I was experiencing fairly strong 'agitation' throughout the day, plus hot flashes and vivid dreams.

I didn't take the dose last night and all that agitation has gone. It wasn't anxiety but it was very uncomfortable!

I have some 0.5 mg tabs to pick up today and will start with the lower dose.

I'm type 1 diabetic I.e. I don't produce my own insulin but I'm not insulin resistant so LDN is unlikely to change anything there. I will monitor closely though.