Low Dose Naltrexone - Very Helpful

[ne...]

The way I see it from a chemistry point of view Naltrexone  is tricking your brain in to producing small amounts of opiates.  At only 5mg it is hardly noticeable but enough to put a smile on your face. Since the Mu opiate down reaction is longer so you end up feeling less of it on the down side during the withdrawal reaction. However the quicker and more noticeable UP reaction is the one people notice.

That is why people do not use 10 or 15mg as the pain receptors would have a fit!

Let's look at this from a more extreme point of view.

Read a story on line where a 23 year old girl presented with what could only be

described as an opiate overdose do to her raggy clothes and being found in a district where heroin is very prevalent.  They gave her 4 Naltrexone shots and each time

she got more wake until she was screaming and crying which is an odd reaction.

The real story is that she was in and out of a diabetic coma.  Wrong drug.

What was interesting about this case is that she was in so much pain

they could not get her under control.  21 hours later she fell asleep for 15 hours

while her brain poured out a massive stream of natural mu, delta, and kappa opiates.

EVERYTHING THAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN BUT ALSO EVERYTHING THAT GOES DOWN MUST COME UP.

This is a simple case of brain chemistry balancing in action.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ne...]

• [...]

• [pr...]

• [Be...]

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

50mg has nothing to do with 'LDN'. ldn is 1.5-4.5 or so.

You would be surprised at how many people have luck getting off benzo's on higher dose of N.  50mg is the same dose they give alcoholics,,, benzo's and alcohol are a cross tolerant species and work on the same gabaA receptors.  Just saying, I had some major healing on 50 mg for a month.  Interesting drug.

You would be surprised at how many people have luck getting off benzo's on higher dose of N.  50mg is the same dose they give alcoholics,,, benzo's and alcohol are a cross tolerant species and work on the same gabaA receptors.  Just saying, I had some major healing on 50 mg for a month.  Interesting drug.

Was this while you were tapering?

Was this while you were tapering?

Just after a jump.  I have jumped 7 times and been back on a low dose 7 times now.  Each time is lower and lower the last was 2 mg Valium, some times higher.  If I feel bad I may go back on at 1 or 2mg again.  My brain is torturing me but I am doing things a bit differently than 'Ashton' which did not work out so good for me.

The high dose Naltrexone was a very healing month for me, so far so good.  I'll do what my body tells me and as long as I am suffering a tiny bit I am moving in the right direction. 

Truthfully quitting the Naltrexone was the best feeling (like getting a light opiate high) and this is when I had a 3 week window that  kind of still lasts to this day.  Interesting!

I have learned and experienced so much in the past 4 years. One truth I learned is that there are things worse than 'tolerance' out there.  Tolerance is pure pleasure to a person with a brain that refuses to heal actually!!  I will do what I have to do, try try again without any irrational fears that can get put into your head by reading the horror stories! :idiot:

Birdy :)

• 2 weeks later...

I would be super interested to know if this has helped anyone with their mental challenges ie. rumination, depression, anxiety, etc... and at what dose. I know everyone is different but if we all have the same symptoms then you would think that similar treatments would help similar conditions in some way.

Anyone have anything to share in this regard?

Thank you so much for your help,

I just started LDN - I'm currently on 2.25mg - the goal is to move up to about 3  - possibly the 4.5 (in .5mg increments)

I'm not on it for my taper - I developed hives and swelling in my lips and swollen lymph nodes in the back of my neck - bloodwork indicates that i have some sort of auto immune issue but I'm still running that down and I'm certain that any issue I DO have is a direct result of the hell i've put my body through trying to get off the benzo

all this said - i haven't noticed it helping with much other than the hives and swelling - those are definitely better but I still have to stay on the antihistamines as well.......I think it takes some time too - I've been on it now for about a month so we'll see......I've read it can take up to 6 months to see a difference and of course, i'm still on a small dose.........(typically 4.5 is the norm for LDN)

I did have vivid dreams while sleeping and some uncomfortable symptoms here and there in the beginning but now I'm ok - and sleeping well

I may be moving back to Klonipin as Valium has not been my friend - if i can get stable on the right drug than i may better be in a position to speak to LDN in regards to tapering........

I have been on LDN for one week, at .50 mg. I am due to increase the dose to 1.0 mg on Monday. I was told to start low to minimize potential side effects of insomnia and bad dreams. That happened for the first two nights only.

I have neuropathy, muscle pain and endometriosis. I am hoping LDN helps at a higher therapeutic LDN dose. I do not have elevated inflammatory markers.

My mood has been uncharacteristically balanced despite being premenstrual.

I will try to give regular updates.

I felt great on it during taper, but now 2.5 months post jump it gives me insomnia badly. i've heard that it goes away, but I have not tried it past 2 nights.

anybody here had similar exp?

Hope it helps you Bennie!

Me too!  :smitten:

I felt great on it during taper, but now 2.5 months post jump it gives me insomnia badly. i've heard that it goes away, but I have not tried it past 2 nights.

anybody here had similar exp?

From what I hear, the insomnia should wear off. And if it doesn't, then to decrease dose slightly.

I've been on 1.0 mg for two nights now. No problems with it. I sleep fine, and my typically active dream life has mellowed. Doesn't seem to increase or lower anxiety at this dose. I'm a bit more achey in different places, who knows why. I am stretching and trying to gently move around, which helps. Will be at 1.0 for another week before increasing again. I have appointment with my function med doc at that time too.

Any updates on the mental effect? ie. Depression / anxiety... or is this just for physical symptoms?

thank you

There's a range for clinically effective dose, of 1.5 mg - 4.5 mg. I'm not there yet, so can't say anything how it effects anxiety. I don't have clinical depression, but do have a "low happiness factor" after all I've been through. If my endorphins get kicked up because of LDN, I'm all for it. LDN research doesn't indicate use for depression and anxiety. Though, if it doesn't help me, it doesn't mean it won't help you. In large sense, LDN is experimental outside of its intended purpose at high doses because drug companies don't want to research ($$$) an already cheap drug.

Two nights in a row I have had intense heat flushing and buzzing within 1-3 hours after taking the nightly 1.0 mg LDN dose. Last night was more intense than the previous night. It was very uncomfortable. Although I was feeling hot, I was shivering. My temperature was low. I looked up how LDN might effect body temperature: at the TLR4 receptors. At least i can see a correlation.

I don't think I'm going to continue with LDN, despite my period being less heavy and less cramping. Tylenol took care of most of the pain when it typical wouldn't have. I was taking LDN for endometriosis pain, and it did have a positive effect. My cycle started two days late. So there were seeming benefits to LDN, but not enough for me to continue since I'm not yet at the minimum clinical dose of 1.5 mg.. Could these symptoms go away? Possibly. I'll have to review this situation when I see my doctor next week.

• 3 weeks later...

Ive now been on it for several months and have increased my dose in .5mg increments from 2.25 to 3.25 - I still have vivid dreams but I'm sleeping better on it - if that makes sense - no side effects other than that, that i've noticed - I plan to go up again in a few days to 3.75.  It should be noted that I'm taking for Hives and Urticaria - (swelling) - It definitely stopped the swelling of my lips and I hope once I get up to 4.5 I'll be able to nix the nightly Benydryl.  I have, however been able to lower my doses of antihistamines as I don't take any during the day now.  I also tested with Positive ANA and low complements - so I'm clearly having an autoimmune response - hoping the LDN helps.......

I am VERY sensitive to supplements - I can't even take Omega 3 or Vitamin D and certainly not Calcium - I AM able to take Magnesium and it does relax me (I know many have a hard time with magnesium)

Just listing as much history here as possible -

As far as mood and anxiety - each time I raise my dose I seem to feel better emotionally for a few days - then that wears off - but like Bennie - I don't really suffer depression - more so anxiety and like I said I AM sleeping better

So it certainly hasnt hurt at all and possibly has helped........

Hope this helps

Seems like it's primarily used for pain and such. I was hopeful that this might be a better solution for anxiety than another drug. Still interested.. but I'm not sure there's enough reports that it helps with mood / anxiety / stress / coping et...

Colley - I've seen reviews online of people calling it a great mood lifter - I can't tell that its done that for me - but like I said - other than anxiety - I'm not really a depressed person (thankfully) - my mood is typically good but tightly wired if that makes sense and I havent seen much of a change with the exception of the first day or two after I up the dose........but will keep you posted

I reviewed my LDN experience with the functional medicine doctor. Although I went off due to heat flushing, I may go back on and stay at the lowest dose of .50 mg. That much did something for lessening period cramping. Whatever works.

• 1 year later...

Hello anyone who was on this LDN thread, was wondering if there is any feedback from post-taper users.  I am 8 months off.  And after much research it is seeming like a good option to increase mood, gut issues, and the 'neuroinflammation' that I think is a culprit to some lingering symptoms.  Thanks