Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Cancer Support Group

[so...]

I had decided to try to start tapering Temazepam on my own because it is causing havoc and not offering any benefits.  But I might choose to do chemo therapy that would require hospitalization.  Obviously, the hospital would give me the full dose and not go by where I was at without a doctor's prescription.  Do I need to get my PCP to write a prescription for a compound pharmacy so it would be honored by the hospital?

Has anyone else dealt with this and if so, how did you deal with it?

Just so folks understand why I don't want to wait to taper, I feel like the 15mg of the Temazepam is poisoning my brain and body and only giving me 4 hours of very low-quality sleep.  I actually fear dealing with this more than I do the seriousness of the Lymphoma.

Thanks

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Tr...]

• [Ho...]

• [so...]

• [az...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I had decided to try to start tapering Temazepam on my own because it is causing havoc and not offering any benefits.  But I might choose to do chemo therapy that would require hospitalization.  Obviously, the hospital would give me the full dose and not go by where I was at without a doctor's prescription.  Do I need to get my PCP to write a prescription for a compound pharmacy so it would be honored by the hospital?

Just so folks understand why I don't want to wait to taper, I feel like the 15mg of the Temazepam is poisoning my brain and body and only giving me 4 hours of very low-quality sleep.  I actually fear dealing with this more than I do the seriousness of the Lymphoma.

Thanks

I had to have surgery in the middle

Of my taper and was hospitalized one night. I had my psychiatrist write a letter saying I was on a taper and needed to use my own generic as I am very sensitive. I showed it to my surgeon and she wrote an order that I could take my own Valium dose that I brought from home (as long as the nurse saw me do it). Individual hospital policies may vary but this worked for me.

Thanks

I had to have surgery in the middle

Of my taper and was hospitalized one night. I had my psychiatrist write a letter saying I was on a taper and needed to use my own generic as I am very sensitive. I showed it to my surgeon and she wrote an order that I could take my own Valium dose that I brought from home (as long as the nurse saw me do it). Individual hospital policies may vary but this worked for me.

Thanks, that is very helpful.  Glad your strategy worked.

Thanks

Hi Comp,

You've got a lot going on over there huh?  I get what you're saying about wanting to taper now.  You have to do what you feel is best for your situation and that will bring you the most comfort.  I realized by my 5th round of chemo that the Ativan was causing my anxiety attacks and other symptoms as well.  If I had known sooner I would've taken something different.  It's hard to know what is causing what when you have so many foreign chemicals running through your body.  Eventually I figured it out and I couldn't believe such a crappy pill was ever created!  I couldn't believe I had to withdraw from yet another chemical.

I wish you lots of luck with both the Lymphoma and the taper!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

It has been very quiet around here lately.  I had another 3 month check up and am still clear.  It's been a little more than 1 1/2 years since my last day of chemo.  I'm doing pretty good and have been crazy busy. 

I hope all of you are hanging in there!

Hi everyone,

It has been very quiet around here lately.  I had another 3 month check up and am still clear.  It's been a little more than 1 1/2 years since my last day of chemo.  I'm doing pretty good and have been crazy busy. 

::)

Glad to see you on the board TTBP! I just had my 3 month checkup too and things are good. Still tapering but I'm in a decent window right now and keeping busy too. My poor daughter and husband got the stomach bug this weekend and I'm trying to not get it, but you know how that goes  :sick:

Hi everyone,

::)

Glad to see you on the board TTBP! I just had my 3 month checkup too and things are good. Still tapering but I'm in a decent window right now and keeping busy too. My poor daughter and husband got the stomach bug this weekend and I'm trying to not get it, but you know how that goes  :sick:

Congratulations Hope!  I'm so happy to hear you had a good check up and are in a window.  What are you down to now?  I should read your signature to find out.  I start a new job Friday.  Job #2. This will be a real test for me as I'll be on my feet for hours and dealing with customers.  I'm going to give it a shot and hope for the best.

Sorry to hear about your families bug!  May they get better and may you stay germ free!!!

You know Hope I haven't changed all that much since jumping.  I know I've improved in some ways.  I don't grind my teeth nearly as much as I did.  My tinnitus isn't as bad either.  My sense of perception...detachment is still there.  I also still have medicine head.  Maybe my healing will be slow.  Regardless, I'm  so happy to be off of benzos.  I can't wait until you take your last dose.  My guess is that you're very close!  Keep up the good work and stay healthy!

Thanks ttbp! I'm down to 5.6 mg, just going slow. Good luck in your new job! Sounds like you have made some improvements, I'll bet you will just keep slowly getting better!

• 4 weeks later...

I just wanted to drop in and say hi.  I realized I haven't been on here for awhile or it seems that way.  My life is ridiculously busy.  I'm working 2 jobs, recovering from cancer treatment, recovering from benzo use, and most importantly trying to be the best I can be for my family.  I would say that these days I can barely catch my breath.  I actually argued with a woman for not opening the store up on time today because I thought it was a Saturday instead of Sunday.  I was embarrassed and frankly a bit concerned.  Like holy crap I literally didn't know what day it was!

I'm still clear of cancer and am getting physically stronger with each phase.  It will be 2 years since my initial diagnosis and trip to the ER in about a week.  Between the 2 events of cancer & benzos I would say I live like a gerbil on a wheel, kind of.  I do move forward and am making progress but I'm also still hyper, living in a haze, and am often unsure of exactly who I am.  Cancer and its treatment has changed me.  I'm just not sure exactly what that means yet.  I would say I'm actively trying to figure out who I am now and how I want my future to be.

I feel my system is still affected by both my chemo/prednisone treatment and my benzo withdrawal.  So physically I'm pretty revved up.  Psychologically I've been affected by both the cancer and benzos but also by what I look like and how I feel now compared to before my diagnosis and in terms of benzos how I felt before I started taken them decades ago.  When you combine it all it's a lot to weed through.  I think I'm on the right track though and am proud of myself for forging ahead.  I will pop in as best I can to check in on everyone and to let others know another persons experiences. 

Good night :smitten:

I just wanted to drop in and say hi.  I realized I haven't been on here for awhile or it seems that way.  My life is ridiculously busy.  I'm working 2 jobs, recovering from cancer treatment, recovering from benzo use, and most importantly trying to be the best I can be for my family.  I would say that these days I can barely catch my breath.  I actually argued with a woman for not opening the store up on time today because I thought it was a Saturday instead of Sunday.  I was embarrassed and frankly a bit concerned.  Like holy crap I literally didn't know what day it was!

I'm still clear of cancer and am getting physically stronger with each phase.  It will be 2 years since my initial diagnosis and trip to the ER in about a week.  Between the 2 events of cancer & benzos I would say I live like a gerbil on a wheel, kind of.  I do move forward and am making progress but I'm also still hyper, living in a haze, and am often unsure of exactly who I am.  Cancer and its treatment has changed me.  I'm just not sure exactly what that means yet.  I would say I'm actively trying to figure out who I am now and how I want my future to be.

I feel my system is still affected by both my chemo/prednisone treatment and my benzo withdrawal.  So physically I'm pretty revved up.  Psychologically I've been affected by both the cancer and benzos but also by what I look like and how I feel now compared to before my diagnosis and in terms of benzos how I felt before I started taken them decades ago.  When you combine it all it's a lot to weed through.  I think I'm on the right track though and am proud of myself for forging ahead.  I will pop in as best I can to check in on everyone and to let others know another persons experiences. 

Congrats to you! You are doing so well, and almost a year off benzos. Yay!

Congrats TTBP!!! You have come so far!! You have shown such strength and courage and have found the time to help others here on Benzo Buddies.I wish only the best for you going forward!

Thanks so much!  I hope things are going good with you.  I know you have been off a little longer than me.  How have you been feeling?

Thanks Hope!  I hope you continue to forge ahead in your quest to benzo free.  How's your body holding up?

Thanks Hope!  I hope you continue to forge ahead in your quest to benzo free.  How's your body holding up?

I am tired I've got to say. But I'm slowly making progress. Guess I can't complain, others have it worse. I'd go faster but I have to stay functional at least partially for my family.

I just found this post. I had BC 2 years ago in the middle of ambien w/d and it was hell. The cancer is gone but not fully healed from the ambien or the drug from hell. Cancer was easy looking back now it does not rob you of yourself  and lock up who you are. God is my healer and He keeps carry me through and I will be fully whole soon.

I just found this post. I had BC 2 years ago in the middle of ambien w/d and it was hell. The cancer is gone but not fully healed from the ambien or the drug from hell. Cancer was easy looking back now it does not rob you of yourself  and lock up who you are. God is my healer and He keeps carry me through and I will be fully whole soon.

Hi Rose80! I was diagnosed with breast cancer in the middle of my taper too. I'm still tapering but all good from the cancer. And I agree, this is way worse than the cancer.

Hi Rose80! I was diagnosed with breast cancer in the middle of my taper too. I'm still tapering but all good from the cancer. And I agree, this is way worse than the cancer.

Yes this is way more hell but for those who haven't went through it  :tickedoff: They have no clue.

• 3 weeks later...

Just needed to get this off my chest.

2 years ago I was diagnosed with lymphoma of the stomach and treated with radiation, all has been well and my last biopsy in June showed negative, I now have a lump on my collar bone and my oncologist said I need a CT scan to check if this is malignant, he said it is quite usual for my type of cancer to migrate to bones but not unheard of so we need to be sure.

The reason I am in withdrawal from klonopin was that I got very anxious during the last diagnosis and treatment and I have just become (excuse the language) shit scared again.

Don't yet know when I will get the scan and how long after I will get the results but the next days/weeks are going to be tough.

2trusting

Just needed to get this off my chest.

2 years ago I was diagnosed with lymphoma of the stomach and treated with radiation, all has been well and my last biopsy in June showed negative, I now have a lump on my collar bone and my oncologist said I need a CT scan to check if this is malignant, he said it is quite usual for my type of cancer to migrate to bones but not unheard of so we need to be sure.

The reason I am in withdrawal from klonopin was that I got very anxious during the last diagnosis and treatment and I have just become (excuse the language) shit scared again.

Don't yet know when I will get the scan and how long after I will get the results but the next days/weeks are going to be tough.

2trusting

Oh no 2T! I will pray your scan is clean. Keep us updated. I got my cancer diagnosis during my taper 3 days after making a cut and it was all I could do not to updose. Just take one day at a time and try not to panic. Easier said than done I know. I have a bunch of followup visits for my cancer in a couple weeks and it's always scary.

Thanks Hope, I am 7+ months off am making good progress (seeing the light as they say), I will not back track but am really freaked out, distraction is hard at the moment.

I am weaning off of Omeprazole very slowly by opening up the capsules and counting the beads, this might keep me active for a while. 

2trusting

Thanks Hope, I am 7+ months off am making good progress (seeing the light as they say), I will not back track but am really freaked out, distraction is hard at the moment.

I am weaning off of Omeprazole very slowly by opening up the capsules and counting the beads, this might keep me active for a while. 

2trusting

I've got to wean my protonix when all this is done. Mine's a pill and not a capsule though. GI doc says to just stop it and use high dose Zantac for a week but that sounds painful. So I'd love to hear how your taper goes.

I will let you know how it goes Hope, I am taking it very slow as I see no benefit to having rebound reflux for the sake of being overly fast, I don't have any problems that I associate with omeprazole at the moment but would like to get off as many medications as possible.

I was hoping to try for my high blood pressure med next as that was something that I was prescribed at the same time as klonopin and thought my high blood pressure was due to anxiety, it was coming down as I got over the klonopin withdrawal but today is petty up there again.

If my tests come back negative (god willing) and I just have an arthritic joint I hope to see my BP return to good and then I shall try reducing.

sorry for the ramble but I am not quite myself at the moment.

2trusting

Hi 2 trusting,

I hope your scan comes back negative.  I can get myself pretty worked up just thinking about my cancer and the treatment I endured.  I'm almost 1 3/4 yrs clear but had 2 scares within that time.  One was my thyroid and the other was cervical.  Both times my tests came back negative but I was very nervous just thinking about the possibility of repeating treatment.

I've become very good at just putting one foot in front of the other and trying to take one day at a time.  Just do the best you can to not worry about something that hasn't happened yet.  Just keep trucking along as you wait.

Positive thoughts positive thoughts :smitten:

Scan is at 9.45 in the morning, (Friday) Will try not to stress over the weekend and get some sleep, last night was a pretty sleepless time.I do hope for answers early next week and not need a biopsy.

Best outcome would be arthritis, don't want it but better than the alternative.

2trusting

Scan is at 9.45 in the morning, (Friday) Will try not to stress over the weekend and get some sleep, last night was a pretty sleepless time.I do hope for answers early next week and not need a biopsy.

Best outcome would be arthritis, don't want it but better than the alternative.

2trusting

I'll pray for you! Let's hope it's nothing to worry about. Fingers crossed.