3,2,1: Under 3 mg Valium people

[os...]

How is the dry daily micro taper? Ive always wondered about liquid or dry daily tapering, i dont care how i get off this stuff...i would be willing to deal with daily micro taper as long as i got off 1MG a month...i mean my plan is to taper .5 every two weeks anyways. If a daily taper is better then id be willing...just dont know how it is.

The daily micro taper has been good for me. Just like a regular dry cut taper, you might need to hold or slow down at some point. On the upside, I find that when I do get hit with symptoms, they are not as acute as they are from a full .25 mg or .5 mg diazepam dry cut. That said, I'm at 3 mgs now and my anxiety and agoraphobia are higher than ever, but my physical symptoms have faded a bit. I absolutely feel like I'm thinking clearer, despite a feeling that I'm easy to aggravate. I bought a jewelry scale and a nail file and am now making daily cuts of 0.03571 mgs, which adds up to 1 mg every 28 days.

Cutting and filing the 2 mg tablets takes time, but it's a distraction. I have a 1-month pill box and prep all of a given month's dose in advance.

Might be worth looking at if your .5mg cuts are hitting you hard after a couple of days. I hope this info helps!

Hello!

I have just transitioned from Klonopin to Valium ,

I have been taking 1.2 mg of Valium daily x 2 weeks.

I want to know how much I can cut weekly and what dosage I can jump from.

According to the Ashton Method, I should able to jump at 1mg?? Thank you.

So as a result really hoping that the NAD spray will allow me to get off more quickly.....

Thanks for the update BL!

It didn't really help me get off more quickly, it just addressed some of my w/d, and made it less hellish. Mostly, it knocked down the hyperacusis and headaches. People who injected sub-q also found it easing some of their withdrawal, but it didn't increase their taper rate. One person did use NAD+ IV's to speed up things. They couldn't afford to get the whole treatment up front, so they paid for 3 sessions, dropped diazepam by a mg, saved up money to go back and get 3 more, and finally got down to 1 mg and jumped after 3 more sessions. They saved up money and went back for a final 3. It took them around 2 months doing it this way. I think they had done a total of 15 treatments.

So as a result really hoping that the NAD spray will allow me to get off more quickly.....

It didn't really help me get off more quickly, it just addressed some of my w/d, and made it less hellish. Mostly, it knocked down the hyperacusis and headaches. People who injected sub-q also found it easing some of their withdrawal, but it didn't increase their taper rate. One person did use NAD+ IV's to speed up things. They couldn't afford to get the whole treatment up front, so they paid for 3 sessions, dropped diazepam by a mg, saved up money to go back and get 3 more, and finally got down to 1 mg and jumped after 3 more sessions. They saved up money and went back for a final 3. It took them around 2 months doing it this way. I think they had done a total of 15 treatments.

Ya I think it might help with speed for me as my taper has been so snail slow as to be absolute torture -- 6 years and counting.  So yes if it helps with sxs then it will help me speed things up a bit or a lot.  The muscimol that I have been taking allowed me to increase my taper rate by 120%.  there is something so kindled in this body that i am counting/hoping that these supplemental treatments will allow me to even go 10% a month.

The titrating method of NAD intrigues me, dropping a bit at a time.

Ya I think it might help with speed for me as my taper has been so snail slow as to be absolute torture -- 6 years and counting.  So yes if it helps with sxs then it will help me speed things up a bit or a lot.  The muscimol that I have been taking allowed me to increase my taper rate by 120%.  there is something so kindled in this body that i am counting/hoping that these supplemental treatments will allow me to even go 10% a month.

That's a long taper. You were also on a benzo for a long time. You'll have to experiment, and see how you feel. I'm on the fence about muscimol, though I have been following the discussion. If it helps speed up your taper rate, that's a plus.

Hi- I read through the exchanges too…not just this.  This is so complicated.

You mentioned that you have only held for a couple of days here and there and haven’t really seen any improvement.  Most people don’t see improvements with holds until a month or more.  I just thought I would put this out there.

Also, the lower you go, the much greater the % of you decrease is going to become.  I am not sure what your actual suffering is with sx, or how well you function day in and day out.  The goal is to be “functioning”.  I believe this is also with “reasonable” % cuts with in the guidelines.  If one is going too fast and not functioning, than that would definitely be expected, and could be mitigated by slowing way down and even holding.

We can heal in the process of tapering off of benzo’s and for many who have gently walked off or done slower taper w/d’s they haven’t always been left in long (sometimes years) of protracted w/d, like those who have gone too fast or c/t.  It can be dangerous to go too fast.  So please be careful.

You certainly know your body, and know what you can handle, but PLEASE….listen to your body.  I have been here long enough to see people have to reinstate because they went too fast. 

:hug:

Marie

Hi Maria. Thank you for this. It's a reminder that healing is a slow process, whether we cold turkey or taper slowly. I think I've felt so poorly because I never had good days even l before I began my taper. I don't believe I was in tolerance withdrawal, because I was suffering from hyperthyroidism, which actually presented with symptoms very similar to benzo withdrawal. I got my thyroid hormone levels settled when I was about 2-3 months into my taper, even though I couldn't expect to see improvements for several weeks.

I was on Xanax for less than 3 months, but was taking 2 mgs per day. From 60 mgs of diazepam down to about 15 mgs, I felt poorly, but no different than how I felt from my hyperthyroid symptoms, so I never paused my taper. It has taken me over 14 months to get where I am now, and I don't want to screw up at the finish line. I have been experiencing more windows, but my anxiety is worse when I'm in withdrawal.

My doctor said I must taper at 1 mg per month and he won't prescribe for anything slower. Fortunately I have enough in reserve in case I need to slow down or hold. I've suffered enough and don't feel the need to set myself for a long recovery and/or a nasty ending to my taper.

I hope you are doing as well as possible under the circumstances. Thanks again for your input. I will pay attention!

Well that is an amazing taper rate and it is great that you are having windows…YAY!  Hopefully you can continue at your pace with much success.  I personally think your doctor doesn’t know what he is doing.  :D  I am glad you have some reserves, just in case  :thumbsup:

You have a great attitude and that goes a long way  8)

Marie

Hello!

Hi Hilly -

So are you on 1.2mg total? And thinking about jumping at 1mg?

I know Ashton says this, and some people have done this, but it will cause an acute w/d even tho it is a small amount of benzo.  Meaning a person will still have very uncomfortable w/d symptoms that can vary from person to person, and some having more extreme than others…it all depends on the person.  I personally would be afraid to jump at 1mg.  I can barely cut 8% a month…7% is better for me.  So if I went to 100% I would be a wreck…I am currently at 1.52mg.

I guess we need more information to help you with a taper plan and where you actually want to jump at. :thumbsup:

Marie

BL- Even if it helps with some of the sx, that would be worth it.  Plus it seems like it is good for a person.

Marie

That's a long taper. You were also on a benzo for a long time. You'll have to experiment, and see how you feel. I'm on the fence about muscimol, though I have been following the discussion. If it helps speed up your taper rate, that's a plus.

It's an insanely long taper!  In part that I was in bad tolerance when I started tapering (not knowing what that was) and listening to poor advice here on the boards that kept telling me to drop .06mg of X at a time.  I know we listen to what we want to hear but I sure wish I hadn't listened to that moderator..... My first year was agony - and I didn't realize that was a sign I was going WAAAAY too quickly.

Kind think my body reacts as though it was CT.  I still dose V 3X a day due to interdose w/d...  Messed up! :crazy::sick:

How is the dry daily micro taper? Ive always wondered about liquid or dry daily tapering, i dont care how i get off this stuff...i would be willing to deal with daily micro taper as long as i got off 1MG a month...i mean my plan is to taper .5 every two weeks anyways. If a daily taper is better then id be willing...just dont know how it is.

The daily micro taper has been good for me. Just like a regular dry cut taper, you might need to hold or slow down at some point. On the upside, I find that when I do get hit with symptoms, they are not as acute as they are from a full .25 mg or .5 mg diazepam dry cut. That said, I'm at 3 mgs now and my anxiety and agoraphobia are higher than ever, but my physical symptoms have faded a bit. I absolutely feel like I'm thinking clearer, despite a feeling that I'm easy to aggravate. I bought a jewelry scale and a nail file and am now making daily cuts of 0.03571 mgs, which adds up to 1 mg every 28 days.

Cutting and filing the 2 mg tablets takes time, but it's a distraction. I have a 1-month pill box and prep all of a given month's dose in advance.

Might be worth looking at if your .5mg cuts are hitting you hard after a couple of days. I hope this info helps!

Hey VG,

Could you give specifics as to how you do your dry taper?

Do you weigh each pill and then cut from that weight?

or do you cut a specific weight from each pill?(hope that makes sense)

Trying to get my head around dry cutting when there is such a variance in the pill weights!

I don't want to carry liquid around with me but think I may have to

Thanks in advance!

SS

Hello!

Here are the notes from my p-log about the end of my Librium taper. I put the numbers in Valium equivalents. Librium was the original benzo. Valium was supposedly an improvement on it with very similar properties.

July 31st I took my last dose of Librium. Putting some notes here so I don't forget how I ended my taper.

I was always able to taper faster when I had less stress. This makes sense since tapering makes us sensitive to stress.

When I got to 4mg of L  (= 2mg of V), I sped up my taper. I was feeling better and was able to make straight cuts rather than percentage cuts.

I got overly confident and sped up more. My symptoms got pretty bad but I had improved my coping skills and figured I could push through them. Mistake.

Hit a wall rather hard mid June. Sleep stopped and night panics came back. Updosed backwards 5 days (I think) and held for a week. Also had to increase my Seroquel so I could sleep. Sleep returned. Went back to 25mg of Q. I find that any kind of stress, happy or sad, disrupts my sleep, but I am getting enough that I am staying at 25mg of Q.

Continued tapering at a slower pace. DLMT. As soon as sleep got bad again, held another week, July14-20.

Had quite a bit of family-related stress during this time, but was able to continue tapering with lots and lots of distracting.

Resumed DLMT on 7/21. I started thinking in V equivalence because there are so few L people on the forum. I wanted a frame of reference from what I was reading about ending tapers from a slow benzo. The comments about V that I read were more helpful if I thought in V.

I have kept a stack of 3x5 cards on my kitchen counter all during this, 1 card for each week. Each day I wrote down my dose and any symptoms that were unusual or any really good windows.

I was taking half of my dose AM and half PM.

My last 2 cards, starting from July 21, 2019, look like this:

.11V some neuropathy

.10V

.09V

.08V

.07V

.06V

.05V trigger-flashback

.04V stressful day

.03V anxious

.02V a bit nervous

.01V (morning dose only)

step off

When I finished tapering, I felt to better and no worse for a long time. Then I slowly improved.

Hey VG,

Trying to get my head around dry cutting when there is such a variance in the pill weights!

Thanks in advance!

SS

Hi SufferingSixty.

The tools I use are a jeweler's scale, tweezers, razor blade and nail file. I get the average weight of a 2mg (diazepam) tablet by weighing ten 2 mg tablets and dividing by 10.

Keep in mind that the tablet weight and the tablet dose are two different values. In this example, a single tablet contains a 2 mg dose of diazepam, and the tablet weighs on average .155 mgs.

For example:

1. Determine the weight of a 2 mg diazepam tablet: if 10 tablets weigh 1.55 grams, then the average weight of a single 2 mg (dose) tablet is .155 mgs.

2. Determine the weight of a 1 mg tablet that is cut from a 2 mg tablet: (half a 2 mg tablet) by dividing .155 by 2, which equals 0.775 mgs.

3. Determine the weight to remove from the 1 mg tablet each day: If I want to cut 1 mg of diazepam every 28 days, we can calculate the weight we need to remove from each tablet by dividing .775 by 28, which equals 0.02768 mgs.

Now that we know how much to cut every day for 28 days, I simply cut and/or file off 0.02768 mgs of weight minus the previous day's pill weight. I prepare the 28 days of dosing by using a full month pill box.

So, a sample few days would look like this:

Cutting from a 1 mg tablet that weighs 0.775 mgs

Day 1: Cut 0.02768 mgs from a tablet that weighs 0.77500 mgs, which equals 0.74732

Day 2: Cut 0.02768 mgs from a tablet that weighs 0.74732 mgs, which equals 0.71964

Day 3: Cut 0.02768 mgs from a tablet that weighs 0.71964 mgs, which equals 0.69196

Day 27: Cut 0.02768 mgs from a tablet that weighs 0.05536 mgs, which equals 0.02768

Day 28: Cut 0.02768 mgs from a tablet that weighs 0.02768 mgs, which equals ZERO (1 mg tablet cut over a 28 day period)

I know it is confusing, and especially so during withdrawal. There are other posts that address this in the Support Groups forum, I believe. I hope this helps. Sorry to hijack the thread, but it is relevant as I was cutting 1mg every 21 days before I hit 5 mgs of diazepam per day. I am now cutting 1 mg every 28 days, as the formula above demonstrates.

Hey VG,

Thanks in advance!

SS

Hi SufferingSixty.

The tools I use are a jeweler's scale, tweezers, razor blade and nail file. I get the average weight of a 2mg (diazepam) tablet by weighing ten 2 mg tablets and dividing by 10.

Keep in mind that the tablet weight and the tablet dose are two different values. In this example, a single tablet contains a 2 mg dose of diazepam, and the tablet weighs on average .155 mgs.

For example:

1. Determine the weight of a 2 mg diazepam tablet: if 10 tablets weigh 1.55 grams, then the average weight of a single 2 mg (dose) tablet is .155 mgs.

2. Determine the weight of a 1 mg tablet that is cut from a 2 mg tablet: (half a 2 mg tablet) by dividing .155 by 2, which equals 0.775 mgs.

3. Determine the weight to remove from the 1 mg tablet each day: If I want to cut 1 mg of diazepam every 28 days, we can calculate the weight we need to remove from each tablet by dividing .775 by 28, which equals 0.02768 mgs.

Now that we know how much to cut every day for 28 days, I simply cut and/or file off 0.02768 mgs of weight minus the previous day's pill weight. I prepare the 28 days of dosing by using a full month pill box.

So, a sample few days would look like this:

Cutting from a 1 mg tablet that weighs 0.775 mgs

Day 1: Cut 0.02768 mgs from a tablet that weighs 0.77500 mgs, which equals 0.74732

Day 2: Cut 0.02768 mgs from a tablet that weighs 0.74732 mgs, which equals 0.71964

Day 3: Cut 0.02768 mgs from a tablet that weighs 0.71964 mgs, which equals 0.69196

Day 27: Cut 0.02768 mgs from a tablet that weighs 0.05536 mgs, which equals 0.02768

Day 28: Cut 0.02768 mgs from a tablet that weighs 0.02768 mgs, which equals ZERO (1 mg tablet cut over a 28 day period)

I know it is confusing, and especially so during withdrawal. There are other posts that address this in the Support Groups forum, I believe. I hope this helps. Sorry to hijack the thread, but is relevant as I was cutting 1mg every 21 days before I hit 5 mgs of diazepam per day. I am now cutting 1 mg every 28 days, as the formula above demonstrates.

Thanks so much VG!

The confusing part for me is/was how do I know I'm cutting the right amount when each pill is such a different weight?

I've had a variety of answers to this question including: it doesn't matter, just cut the same amount off each pill (minus the % cut each day)  I think I've got that right

As I come FROM DLMT, these answers seems too imprecise for what I'm doing.

The weird thing is that I did a very rough cut from pills for a few months when I was preparing to travel-- and found that I was tapering faster than with the DLMT.. Counterintuitive for sure!  But that's one of the big reasons that I'm wanting to try this now ( although I want to kick myself that this could have been a faster method -- it's been a long taper  ;))

I'm at a place where I don't want to carry liquid around with me so am preparing the try this for a bit - and I'm cutting maybe .125mg a month. faster if this works the way I'm hoping it can.  Getting to a 10% taper a month would be a dream!

So I think that this method of weighing each pill and subtracting from that pill weight makes the most sense to me.

I've got the gear!  (just ordered another jewellers scale to make sure that the one I'm using is OK (it's the one most commonly found around her)

Wishing you a a good day  :)

Thanks so much VG!

The confusing part for me is/was how do I know I'm cutting the right amount when each pill is such a different weight?

I've had a variety of answers to this question including: it doesn't matter, just cut the same amount off each pill (minus the % cut each day)  I think I've got that right

The weird thing is that I did a very rough cut from pills for a few months when I was preparing to travel-- and found that I was tapering faster than with the DLMT.. Counterintuitive for sure!  But that's one of the big reasons that I'm wanting to try this now ( although I want to kick myself that this could have been a faster method -- it's been a long taper  ;))

I'm at a place where I don't want to carry liquid around with me so am preparing the try this for a bit - and I'm cutting maybe .125mg a month. faster if this works the way I'm hoping it can.  Getting to a 10% taper a month would be a dream!

So I think that this method of weighing each pill and subtracting from that pill weight makes the most sense to me.

I've got the gear!  (just ordered another jewellers scale to make sure that the one I'm using is OK (it's the one most commonly found around her)

Excellent point, and unless you weigh each pill every day and shave of x mgs every day based on the pill weight, I think getting the average pill weight works, with the help of a longer half life for diazepam. If you're cutting 1 mg every 21 days, you could also weigh the 21 full tablets you're going to use and divide that amount by 21. I've found the pill weights to be fairly close to the same, even between prescription refills. I think that's because in theory all of the pills in each prescription were probably created in the same batch.

It's impossible to get it down to 0.0001 mgs, but for me even though I still have bad days where my brain is catching up with my taper, I think it evens out and/or the variation is not usually big enough to make much difference. 0.02768 mgs is pretty small!

I just filled my month-long pill box for my micro taper from 3 mgs down to 2 mgs and it took about 2 hours to weigh and cut all of the tablets, which oddly turns out to be a nice little distraction from my symptoms.

I still have awful symptoms every once in a while (or randomly for an hour or even a minute), but the regular cut and hold method just never worked for me. I would have 1 or 2 "fair" days (still homebound) followed by nothing put painful, symptom-filled terrible days. Now, most days I still have symptoms, but they are usually milder, though fairly constant. I will say that now that I am at 3 mgs per day, I think a lot clearer, though my agoraphobia is much higher and my throat spasms/tightness is often through the roof!

I hope you feel better doing it this way. Looking forward to hearing how you do. Cheers.

Thanks so much VG!

Excellent point, and unless you weigh each pill every day and shave of x mgs every day based on the pill weight, I think getting the average pill weight works, with the help of a longer half life for diazepam. If you're cutting 1 mg every 21 days, you could also weigh the 21 full tablets you're going to use and divide that amount by 21. I've found the pill weights to be fairly close to the same, even between prescription refills. I think that's because in theory all of the pills in each prescription were probably created in the same batch.

It's impossible to get it down to 0.0001 mgs, but for me even though I still have bad days where my brain is catching up with my taper, I think it evens out and/or the variation is not usually big enough to make much difference. 0.02768 mgs is pretty small!

I just filled my month-long pill box for my micro taper from 3 mgs down to 2 mgs and it took about 2 hours to weigh and cut all of the tablets, which oddly turns out to be a nice little distraction from my symptoms.

I still have awful symptoms every once in a while (or randomly for an hour or even a minute), but the regular cut and hold method just never worked for me. I would have 1 or 2 "fair" days (still homebound) followed by nothing put painful, symptom-filled terrible days. Now, most days I still have symptoms, but they are usually milder, though fairly constant. I will say that now that I am at 3 mgs per day, I think a lot clearer, though my agoraphobia is much higher and my throat spasms/tightness is often through the roof!

I hope you feel better doing it this way. Looking forward to hearing how you do. Cheers.

FWIW when I was tapering the Xanax WITH the 5 mg of Valium on board i was cutting .00001mg daily (no I didn't add a zero!)

wild huh?  :crazy:

sure needed the liquid to do that but I'm so done with X!! that's an accomplishment

Now for the Valium

FWIW when I was tapering the Xanax WITH the 5 mg of Valium on board i was cutting .00001mg daily (no I didn't add a zero!)

sure needed the liquid to do that but I'm so done with X!! that's an accomplishment

Now for the Valium

Wow. You were cutting .00001 mgs of diazepam daily? I don't even want to know how long that would take! I do think - just like we can taper too fast - we can taper too slowly. We certainly need to find the middle ground. We can't stop cold turkey, but feeding the beast for many, many years might be just as bad as going too fast. I have tapered at varying speeds trying to find a sweet spot, with no luck. Bottom line is that I always felt awful. The daily dry micro taper has been the best thing I've done for myself so far.

Now for the Valium

Wow. You were cutting .00001 mgs of diazepam daily? I don't even want to know how long that would take! I do think - just like we can taper too fast - we can taper too slowly. We certainly need to find the middle ground. We can't stop cold turkey, but feeding the beast for many, many years might be just as bad as going too fast. I have tapered at varying speeds trying to find a sweet spot, with no luck. Bottom line is that I always felt awful. The daily dry micro taper has been the best thing I've done for myself so far.

No No I was cutting .00001 mg of Xanax -- yes I know we can go too slowly.  Truly that was not the case with that poison.  If I tapered .00002mg I would be in bed...wild wild wild  And that was with 4X daily diazepam dosing to stave off interdose w/d.  I shudder when I remember.

Trust me I know it's crazy how that poison had a hold on me.  Diazepam is different.

I can speed up a bit and have an uptick in sxs - and no I never feel good. 

Did you ever try a daily liquid micro taper?

Hi everyone… ;)

VG…You did a fantastic job of explaining that.  If I ever have to use my scale for weighing and micro taper, because I can’t get my liquid, this is what I would refer too.  :clap:

I carry my liquid with me, if I have to travel and it isn’t a problem, but I have mine RX’d and it doesn’t have to go in the fridge, so that makes it easy.

Hoping everyone’s sx are not too bad right now.  Mine are ok…@ 1.51mg today. :thumbsup:

Marie

Hi everyone… ;)

VG…You did a fantastic job of explaining that.  If I ever have to use my scale for weighing and micro taper, because I can’t get my liquid, this is what I would refer too.  :clap:

I carry my liquid with me, if I have to travel and it isn’t a problem, but I have mine RX’d and it doesn’t have to go in the fridge, so that makes it easy.

Hoping everyone’s sx are not too bad right now.  Mine are ok…@ 1.51mg today. :thumbsup:

Marie

[/quote

1.51!  yay to you  :thumbsup:

So close that light at the end of the tunnel must be shining

Do you just duck into a bathroom and dose when you need to?

It looks like you're almost done, correct? Hopefully you will be able to jump soon. I have been doing .03 mg cuts every day, which some might say is a lot because it's well above a 10% cut every 2 weeks, but this is still 50% slower than the Ashton Manual suggests. That said, I know we're all different and should listen to our bodies.

I am under so much stress right now and when the stress happens it seems to trigger terrifying symptoms more than the cuts.

It looks like you're almost done, correct? Hopefully you will be able to jump soon. I have been doing .03 mg cuts every day, which some might say is a lot because it's well above a 10% cut every 2 weeks, but this is still 50% slower than the Ashton Manual suggests. That said, I know we're all different and should listen to our bodies.

I am under so much stress right now and the stress happens it seems to trigger terrifying symptoms more than the cuts.

And remember at some point the percentage goes way up as we near the end.  the last day is 100%!  ;) 

Knowing yourself is the key ( for me)

And remember at some point the percentage goes way up as we near the end.  the last day is 100%!  ;) 

Knowing yourself is the key ( for me)

You are so right! If we cut 10% every two weeks, we would be tapering into infinity! I have heard of people jumping off at 3 mgs (though I don't recall the result). I was thinking of jumping off at about .03 mgs by continuing my micro taper and cutting from 1 to 0 mgs over a 28 day period.

I hope you're doing well. You and I are both at 3 mgs, correct?

Hi,

I know this is a bit off topic. I've posted on the gabapentin withdrawal group but I see that group's a bit dead so I'll put the link to my post here in case someone with experience with gabapentin cares to have a look at my question.

For the record of this group, I am probably doing the slowest valium taper on BBs and  I just can't go any faster. I did five cold turkeys and faster tapers in the past, over the years, with no major issues, but due to all that going on and off, my brain is now incapable of tapering any faster than this (what they call kindling), so this is what I'm capable of doing. I hope I get there eventually but who knows.

Good luck to everyone here.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=84267.msg3456415#msg3456415

i dont even know how to do a dry taper....id like to know i have 5MG left of V to taper off of. Was doing 1MG every 2 weeks before but hitting a wall..... if i wanted to taper 1MG a month with dry micro tapering how would i do this?