Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

3,2,1: Under 3 mg Valium people

[os...]

Hi everyone! I'm new to this thread.  :)

I'm currently tapering off of 2 mg valium which I've been on the past 2 years. My dr. first gave me a taper plan in November that did not work, had me skipping days -- and things got rough! So I went back in and a different doc suggested a taper closer to the one below. I'm currently at 1.4mg. I would love to hear any words of wisdom on this plan!! I despise the time of day I've got to take the meds and just want to be done. But at the same time, I am pretty sensitive to medications/body changes so I know I need to go slow.

Week 4         1.4 Jan 16

Week 5         1.3 Jan 25

Week 6         1.2 Feb 1

Week 7         1.1 Feb 8

Week 8         1 Feb 15

Week 9,10 0.9 Feb 22

Week 11, 12 0.8 Mar 7

Week 13, 14 0.7 Mar 21

Week 15,16 0.6 Apr 4

Week 17, 18 0.5 Apr 18

Week 19, 20 0.4 May 2

Week 22,22 0.3 May 16

Week 23, 24 0.2 May 30

Week 25, 26 0.1 Jun 13

Done                   0 Jun 27

I'm currently tapering off of 2 mg valium which I've been on the past 2 years. My dr. first gave me a taper plan in November that did not work, had me skipping days -- and things got rough! So I went back in and a different doc suggested a taper closer to the one below. I'm currently at 1.4mg. I would love to hear any words of wisdom on this plan!! I despise the time of day I've got to take the meds and just want to be done. But at the same time, I am pretty sensitive to medications/body changes so I know I need to go slow.

Week 6         1.2 Feb 1

Week 7         1.1 Feb 8

Week 8         1 Feb 15

Week 9,10 0.9 Feb 22

Week 11, 12 0.8 Mar 7

Week 13, 14 0.7 Mar 21

Week 15,16 0.6 Apr 4

Week 17, 18 0.5 Apr 18

Week 19, 20 0.4 May 2

Week 22,22 0.3 May 16

Week 23, 24 0.2 May 30

Week 25, 26 0.1 Jun 13

Hi Tak!  Welcome to the group!  I'm also very sensitive to body changes and medications, and I'm also doing a slow taper of Valium.  I'm down to 2.1 from 11 mg.  Your plan looks very sensible, but a bit on the fast side- from Jan 16- Feb 15 you're dropping about 29% of your dose.  If it works, then great!  But if you're sensitive, you may have to go slower than that, (many people find maintaining a 10% monthly dose reduction is tolerable).  That being said, everyone's body has it's own pace, and it takes trial and error to find yours :) .

Week 6         1.2 Feb 1

Week 7         1.1 Feb 8

Week 8         1 Feb 15

Week 9,10 0.9 Feb 22

Week 11, 12 0.8 Mar 7

Week 13, 14 0.7 Mar 21

Week 15,16 0.6 Apr 4

Week 17, 18 0.5 Apr 18

Week 19, 20 0.4 May 2

Week 22,22 0.3 May 16

Week 23, 24 0.2 May 30

Week 25, 26 0.1 Jun 13

I’m very close to u in my taper. Also extremely sensitive to this.

I’m down to .8mgs and I’m currently holding bc my rate caught up to me

I’m going to be tapering now at a .08mg/day rate. Which is .25mg/month

Your plan looks about the same rate as I’ll be going.

I think it’s a very sensible and good plan. Message me anytime and good luck.

Hey Tak, I agree with Candace, the beginning of the taper looks very reasonable but as it progresses it speeds up quit a bit.  Being sensitive myself, I would stick closer to the time frames at beginning and pay very close attention to your symptoms.  Let it be a symptom based taper.  Just my opinion, good luck, we are always here for you.  Mary 💜💜

Hi everyone.

Been following the group but haven't felt that I had something to contribute to the conversation. As of today I am re-starting my taper(have been holding for over a month after having a very bad time mentally). I decided to taper 0,125 mg every second week(maybe I'll try to go a little faster in the beginning, depending on how hard it gets). 

It's been a long time now since I had "one of those good days".. Those days that comes very rarely, but when they do it's like you "wake up", and suddenly you are your old self again(in a positive way), things seem too have meaning again.

I could use one of those days right now, just to get a reminder of what life can be like.

Sending you all my thoughts, wishing you all lots of "those good days". :)

Hi Mavo,

Welcome! You found a good group here. I know what you mean about those good days, aren't they amazing?? I haven't had one in awhile either, I think we are all due for one!

Thank you,  Mavo!

Hope all goes well with your taper,

Oh, how I would love to have a day like that again!  A day to feel "alive" and not just "survive" like we do now.

Thanks OliveKitty and Trochsetter :)

Yes, they are so vital in keeping ones hope up. Hope for a better future, and hope that we will ones more feel alive again(which we WILL)!

All the best to you!

Hi Mavo!

I hope by picking your taper back up that you’ll begin to feel a bit better. Sometimes folks feel better when they resume their taper after a hold. I hope you have more and more  of “those good days”, they surely keep us going through this journey to 0.

Hello everyone! I posted last week and then family got hit with norovirus so it's been busy. Thanks for all your advice on the taper plan I posted. I realized looking at it that my math was off a bit with dates. So I've updated, which builds in a little more buffer. At 1.3mg now and next reduction is on Feb 2 to 1.2mg.

Fingers crossed - hope you're all having a good day!!

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks.  I am feeling okay now--as in feeling close to normal.  But I came off a long hold and am tapering by about .02mg valium every other day.

Congrats!!! I’m just about where you’re at, I also am coming off a hold for a few weeks because I was sick with kiddo germs. Keep up the awesome work!

Wow, below 2 mgs. Congrats!

I' m stuck on 3 and will need a long hold to get some stability. At the moment it's awful.

Benzos suck. Big time.

Hey all. I recently crossed over to valium for my taper and went from 5mg on Jan 22 to 3mg Feb 16th, 2020 (last night). I've been using a jewellers scale to make 0.1mg dosage cuts. That was a rather quick start to my tapper, even though it fits Ashton's tapering schedule. Nevertheless, the ride down has been smoother compared to attempting to taper off clonazepam earlier. That was a total disaster.

However, I can tell I need to hold on 3mg and slow down going forward. Last night was really rough, full of fake sleep/sleep misperception. I'm also starting to experience my skin burning/tingling a little bit.  My sleep has been breaking apart more and more over the last few days, so maybe I've been cutting too fast?

I've been learning to meditate and using this new brain entrainment device for sleep and meditation enhancement. It's called NeoRhythm. I find it helps get me into a better mind state quicker.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/neorhythm-breakthrough-in-brain-science/x/22894210#/

I also take THC Indica oil a couple of hours before bed. It definitely helps make me chill and sleepy but last night it wasn't enough to keep me in a deep sleep. I have Trazodone and Seroquel on hand but I haven't used them yet. I've been taking 7.5mg of Mirtazapine at night too but I doubt it's working. What do you all prefer as a back-up sleep aid?

Going forward, what do you all suggest in terms of how fast or slow I should taper? I need to maintain function and get at least 4-6 hours of any kind of sleep (broken or solid) to keep my job. Is this where I slow down to 5-10% per 1-2 weeks? I don't know what to expect going forward.

Wow, below 2 mgs. Congrats!

I' m stuck on 3 and will need a long hold to get some stability. At the moment it's awful.

Benzos suck. Big time.

Hey Troch

I completely agree. I am feeling stuck at 1.5 and holding doesn't seem to help much. Not sure If I should keep holding or start making guts again. You doing any better since this post?

Hey Tom, it looks like you have come a long way in a year! Great job! I would hold for awhile if I were you, let the brain catch up with the body. But only you know what is best for you!

Hi Tom,

Yesterday was a good day, out of the blue. Hardly any nausea, pain or anxiety. Felt "good" all day.

Now it's back to square one: nausea, anxiety, inner trembling, feeling sick.

Praying things may improve soon!

Greetings all! I last posted here at the end of October ‘19. After my jump and subsequent reinstatement 4 days later, I still wasn’t feeling well so I went back to my psychiatrist in early Nov and went up to 4 mg V. I held there for a little over a month (and transitioned from powdered V in capsules to a homemade liquid). Started tapering again the middle of December. I’m back now to share that I am below 3 mg as of today.  :smitten:

This taper has been very different from the one I did last year. I am still recovering from the jump in October, but overall things seem to be improving. There’s been a bit of trial and error with the DLMT, but this method has been a lot easier for me than when I was powdering my tablets and weighing them out in increments (so time consuming—but it worked and I have a friend who is 1 month V free using that method). I’m tapering at about 8.5% per 14 days at the moment, but modify as needed when symptoms arise.

Also I’m working with my therapist using DBT and mindfulness to help develop solid coping skills for when I’m benzo free.

I’m glad to be back!

i hope you’re having another good day, Troch.  They are the glimpses into what awaits us when we’re done healing.

Kit, there’s no right or wrong way to get off of this stuff. It’s all so very individual. I applaud you for listening to your body and going back up to 4 to slowly come back down. You’ve got this!  :thumbsup:

As for me, I’m officially below 2 mgs today- 1.99!  I remember dreaming of the day I’d hit 3 mg and be able to join this thread. And now, I’m below 2.  This feels like a victory in and of itself. I’m tapering pretty slowly, about .04-.05 mgs weekly which is about .20-.25 mgs per month. I took a long hold last month while kiddo germs tore through our house and subsequently my immune system. Back at my taper since last week and feeling pretty good today!

I hope everyone is doing well  :smitten:

Great job Kitsune! I too had a failed attempt at a jump about a year and a half before I actually jumped, but I think we all need to go though certain things and then we can come out the other side shining! One thing we all KNOW is that we want to get off this stuff and nothing is going to stop us, no matter how long it takes.

Go Candice, under 2mgs! Woohoo!

Troch, I know you have struggled. I am happy to hear you are having windows, even if they close. They will open again  :smitten:

Hello everyone! I love seeing posts from this thread pop up. Gives me a little bit of push each day.  :smitten:

Question for you all - how many days after a cut do you *usually* start to feel it? I know it's different for everybody at different times. But curious at this level if you have a somewhat normal expectation for standard cuts. I ask because I just was diagnosed with anemia and there are a LOT of mutual symptoms. So I'm trying to parse out what might be tapering and what isn't.

thanks!

Hi Tak!

I’ doing daily liquid micro taper so I don’t feel the cuts I make after I make each one. Rather, I find if I stay below a 10% cumulative monthly reduction, I feel alright. Once I get into that 11-12% range, I notice an increase in the intensity of my withdrawal symptoms. But, at higher doses I was cutting and holding, and I would begin to feel the cut the next day, and it would peak in intensity about 4 days after I made it. Hope that helps!