Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

3,2,1: Under 3 mg Valium people

[os...]

Olive kitty, when you mention you cheated in your previous taper what do you mean? Before my crash, I was happily drinking beer "as needed" to help with anxiety, two or three days a week, as the Ashton manual says that a little alcohol is fine (totally wrong as I came to learn here on BBs). Olive, I will send you a jewelry scale by mail to your door so that you can cut these smaller doses. Eyeballing, really? You're a tough woman  :):smitten: I shiver at the thought of eyeballing my Valium. I think stutt is doing the same and with good results though  ;)

I am at 0.27 weight valium, after 2 and a half year taper. I'm feeling worse in the last few weeks. Looking at the ridiculously small piece of pill I take very night, it's occurred to me I have no idea how much valium I actually get each day due to the fillers.

Maybe that's why the increase in morning anxiety etc?

Thoughts

I am at 0.27 weight valium, after 2 and a half year taper. I'm feeling worse in the last few weeks. Looking at the ridiculously small piece of pill I take very night, it's occurred to me I have no idea how much valium I actually get each day due to the fillers.

Thoughts

I’m so sorry you’re feeling worse right now. It’s totally normal to feel worse as we get lower. There’s science behind it but what it boils down to is that the very small amounts of the drug are occupying the same number of receptors in the brain as the larger higher doses. As we get ver lose in dose, removing just a small amount of the drug produces greater withdrawals because there’s much less of the drug available at “faster” rates, and because the brain needs time to regenerate neurons with GABA receptors on them. It also needs time to reduce its excess glutamate it made to compensate for the increase of GABA it experiences with the higher doses.

What is the dose of the Valium pill?

Chenka44

I've been off 7 months and I feel pretty much like I did when I was at your stage. One thing did improve was sleep but anxiety is relentless. 

Oh no. In October, I had a six week window and really thought I was ready to jump, now this crap at this low dose. Is tapering at this point even doing anything?

Olive kitty, when you mention you cheated in your previous taper what do you mean? Before my crash, I was happily drinking beer "as needed" to help with anxiety, two or three days a week, as the Ashton manual says that a little alcohol is fine (totally wrong as I came to learn here on BBs). Olive, I will send you a jewelry scale by mail to your door so that you can cut these smaller doses. Eyeballing, really? You're a tough woman  :):smitten: I shiver at the thought of eyeballing my Valium. I think stutt is doing the same and with good results though  ;)

Hi VNM,

In my previous taper I cheated a lot by taking rescue doses all the time. I was trying to keep my job etc and I often took extra. I've never been a drinker so that has never been a problem for me. Thanks for the scale offer, I am pretty good at cutting and I plan on jumping at .25. Love ya!

Olive kitty o know you'll get there. May I ask what pills do you use? 2 mg pills? So you'd cut that in half, and the half would be cut in four and take those in four consecutive days when you're down to 0.25?  When I cut again l will probably use the scale, but I want to know how you eyeballers do it just in case.

Thoughts

I’m so sorry you’re feeling worse right now. It’s totally normal to feel worse as we get lower. There’s science behind it but what it boils down to is that the very small amounts of the drug are occupying the same number of receptors in the brain as the larger higher doses. As we get ver lose in dose, removing just a small amount of the drug produces greater withdrawals because there’s much less of the drug available at “faster” rates, and because the brain needs time to regenerate neurons with GABA receptors on them. It also needs time to reduce its excess glutamate it made to compensate for the increase of GABA it experiences with the higher doses.

What is the dose of the Valium pill?

Thumbs up..

-Sounds about right to me anyways...

:)

Pill splitting... -I just used a cheap pill splitter down to 1/8 of the bigger (non crumble) 2mg tablets..

Then from a single tablet, alternated largest then smallest pieces into the middle average size...

It didnt take much practice to get it pretty right, -or good enough for me at least...

Anyways, just a “flying” visit...

T, is that dose you worked out pill size specific (actual size, not dose)..??

-was trying to work it out roughly myself... Either way, its not much..!! Well done Chenka..!

Valiumnomore,

I use a scale I bought online. It cost me € 45. It does the job, but no set of scales is really accurate.

Even an expensive scale ( at € 450) with still need calibration every time you use it.

By doing that, you make the reduction more accurate.

I wish we could get Liquid Diazepam overhere. I tried DLMT with Vodka, but that didn't work for me.

So I 'm stuck with dry microtaper using scales.

Hey guys.

I’m down to .83mgs V today. Past couple days has been rough.

Thinning of holding. But not sure what the best thing to do is.

Is holding even going to do anything at this dose?

Don’t know if I should hold or just push through since I’m so close.

Do you guys think it’s doing anything at this dose ?

Cantfly,

Yes, I typed in 2 mgs tablet weight. So I think I did it correctly.

Thanks..

I was just wondering, as here we have a few different tablet sizes for 2v.. -very different, -perhaps up to 4x...

Hey guys.

I’m down to .83mgs V today. Past couple days has been rough.

Thinning of holding. But not sure what the best thing to do is.

Is holding even going to do anything at this dose?

Don’t know if I should hold or just push through since I’m so close.

Do you guys think it’s doing anything at this dose ?

This is just my opinion, exactly how bad are you feeling?  If it's really bad, that's not the way to come off .  Give you body a chance to settle down, and prepare to go on without the meds.  It would be easier to make your jump harder by pushing through.  That's just my opinion.  Good luck CMZ!

Mary

Olive kitty o know you'll get there. May I ask what pills do you use? 2 mg pills? So you'd cut that in half, and the half would be cut in four and take those in four consecutive days when you're down to 0.25?  When I cut again l will probably use the scale, but I want to know how you eyeballers do it just in case.

Yes this exactly!

Troschetter, dry cutting the pills is not a problem. I came off the Lexapro dry cutting pills with a 30 euro scale. My psychiatrist will give me the liquid Valium when I start cutting but I don't want it. I'd prefer to continue dry cutting. But he doesn't want to hear it so I'll have to do what he says.  :(

Hi all,

I am at 1.7 mg v and tapering very slowly. I tapered pretty quickly from 10 to 2 with little problem but now wd are starting to hit. Not bad but enough to keep me from doing much. These last few mg are going to take me longer than the first 8. I decided to dry cut and then cut and hold method. Liquid valium isn't available to me.

Wondering how everyone else is doing with these last 3mg

Hi all,

I am at 1.7 mg v and tapering very slowly. I tapered pretty quickly from 10 to 2 with little problem but now wd are starting to hit. Not bad but enough to keep me from doing much. These last few mg are going to take me longer than the first 8. I decided to dry cut and then cut and hold method. Liquid valium isn't available to me.

Wondering how everyone else is doing with these last 3mg

Hi Mobykal, I'm with you!  I'm on the struggle bus with these last couple of mgs.  Well, struggle bus compared to the first 9 mgs.  I've come to the point where allowing myself grace, appreciating what I CAN still do, and accepting what is happening- is the best thing I can do for myself as I survive the rest of this taper.  I have a very sensitive body, so I'm not surprised that I have to go as slow as I am.  I believe in my healing, and I believe that I am healing as I taper.  I'm hopeful that my eventual walk off will be "uneventful".  :smitten:

Hi,

I see several people here that are on multiple meds. And tapering at a pace that I could never handle. Could being on several other psych. meds perhaps be making the taper " easier" ?

I 'm on Diazepam only and find it increasingly hard to taper. (am at 3,0 mgs at the moment and holding).

Any ideas on the subject?

Hi,

I see several people here that are on multiple meds. And tapering at a pace that I could never handle. Could being on several other psych. meds perhaps be making the taper " easier" ?

I 'm on Diazepam only and find it increasingly hard to taper. (am at 3,0 mgs at the moment and holding).

Everyone’s body has their own unique pace. I can’t say for certain but, I have seen many people who are still on their anti depressant taper much faster than I ever could. My doctor did say that usually the benzo is tapered first when someone is on both meds, and that the anti depressant helps a bit (but do not begin an anti depressant if you’re not already on one).

I’m sorry you’re having a tough time. Hold for as long as your body needs. You’re getting through this and you’re not alone!

Hi,

I was on several meds before tapering and I can't say it made it easier since I don't know what it's like to taper without them. But every psychiatric med has it's own problems. What if the side effects are bad? Everyone you have to taper to get off and can be difficult.

There are those meds that are supposed to help, so says the detox centers, but they can be very hard to come off of because all they do is work on the GABA receptors to replace the benzos. ***Gabapentin is one but  from my own experience it was horrific to come off of, and I mean horrific, I ended up in the hospital for three weeks on psych ward to get off this.  Gabapentin also can have really bad side effects and people often become dependent on it, no matter what doctors say.

I am on lamicital and trazadone. I once came off lamictal. But It took a year. Trazadone I was given for sleep long before I even thought of tapering the benzo. I'm at a very low dose for sleep but it's another that has to be tapered. They did put me a buspirone for anxiety but it doesn't work for about half the people. I'm on Cymbalta (people say stay far away from this one - I believe them. But it's the only anti-depressant that is working for me.

Here's an intersting article on this on the NCBI database: A medical database of medical papers, but remember reading this that each med can have it's own problems that aren't discussed in this paper.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5896864/

Thanks, Mobykal.

It's probably best to stay away from this shit as much as possible.  So I'll just struggle on somehow and hope to make it through.

But it's so hard to hold on at times.

Good luck, everyone.