Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Extreme fatigue support page

[Lo...]

Boy. Does much of what many of you say sound so familiar. I have struggled with extreme while on benzos and definitely after being off. Like many here I have complained about it to various doctors who have done multiple tests which show nothing. They either say its "multi factorial", depression or they have no idea. I have had a couple sleep studies but they want to another thinking my fatigue is due to restless leg syndrome. I told the doc I don't think so and that I think it's due to protracted Benzo Wd which of course she disagreed ......"couldn't possibly be that being as long Ive been off benzos". I'm convinced docs have no clue about protracted benzo WD. I guess all we can do is live through it the best we can and support each other like we do here on BB

Pokey

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Lo...]

• [MT...]

• [bc...]

• [...]

Top Posters In This Topic

yes- Pokey- my doctor said I should be "feeling great" and "over my withdrawal" in just a couple of weeks- she has no clue- if I tell her about my fatigue she will never believe it is from benzo withdrawal- but I am sure that is what it is...just wonder how long it will last?

Hi MT , Long time no speak buddie. Sorry you are still struggling with this symptom. How far off are you now?? How are your other symptoms? ? I know you have been pushing hard through this whole experience.  Keep it up mate!

Hi Lockie. At 18 months out my worst symptom is still insomnia. Lack of sleep of course affects fatigue. For someone with CFS/FM, which I have, I'm functioning fairly well but there are days where I can do very little. I hike some and travel some on weekends now though. I was reading on a different thread that it may be more useful to track your recovery based on what you can do than on your symptoms. So while I still have insomnia, fatigue, paresthesias, I'm easily overstimulated and have anxiety here and there, I'm engaging in more normal activities more often.

How are you coming along? What are your symptoms like and how are you doing with functioning?

MT

Glad your functioning at a better level MT thats great news. I too am seeing good improvements that seem to be accelerating just as i was coming up to the year mark. Im working half days 3 days a week now and feeling alot stronger , also can see my musles starting to grow back as i was always well built but now my limbs look like twigs!

Still getting the same 4 symptoms but very mild. , anxiety, dr, sore and fatigue.

Not long now.....

Hang in there buddie!!

FluterByee I think I can relate: I go to bed tired and wake up tired (and then stress because I am tired!!)... I can't imagine life without such a burden on my shoulders! What I hate is that it is changing my behaviour... if you know what I mean. I am adapting things because I know in advance when I'll just be too tired to do anything but sleep!

Hi Julz,

I'm on day #11 of my cut, and I have NEVER felt a tiredness such as this. Even when my SX's have been at there worst *I COULD NOT NAP*;however, the last 4 days I have napped for about 1.5hrs, and still slept at night. Even now upon waking...my eyes feel like they just need to close.

My oldest told me last night that my youngest asked her *HOW LONG IS MOM GOING TO BE IN THIS PHASE* she just seems sad and quiet, and I suppose I am.  My daughter asked a very real and valid question...I wonder too; how long will I be in this phase?

My eyes are burning and heavy. My body feels like it just doesn't want to work or be bothered. This is definitely a new SX for me.

I'm wishing everyone well, and much continued healing.

Fluter  ???  :sleepy:  ???

I feel exactly like you Fluter- towards the end of my taper off xanax and still now 2 1/2 weeks off I have the worst exhaustion- I sleep 7-8 hours a night but still find it hard to get out of bed I am so tired. All day my eyes feel heavy- I have no energy. I used to be a very high energy person. I too wonder how long this fatigue will last.

It seems so counter-intuitive to be on benzo withdrawal and have "hypersomnia", doesn't it just?!

I get the same feeling as you guys, burning eyes (with huge under eye bags) ... and I nap for 1.5 to 2 hours, no problem going back to sleep for 7 to 8 hours per night. The rest of the day is organised as to get things done... it is very frustrating.

FluterByee, if this is a new symptom, it is likely to lift and hopefully not come back before long. Maybe try to rest for now? Would you think your body is actually asking you for more sleep to rest and repair? It is so hard to know... however battling symptoms usually only makes them worse... be gentle on yourself :hug:

OnTheRoad, congratulations on being benzo-free!! Isn't it a rather "common" symptom around jumping? I'm far from benzo-free, I could be wrong... but it is among common WD symptoms for sure. Your body is probably in a state of shock right now... please take care of yourself too!

If exhaustion is a withdrawal symptom, the good news is that it will lift, like other symptoms... I am beginning to think that my exhaustion has been caused by long term use of psychoactive drugs as it happened before I decided to taper off them  :'(

Take care of yourselves Buddies, our bodies know what they are doing  :thumbsup: ...much more than doctors with pills  >:(

You are not alone with your exhaustion/fatigue... :hug: hang in there!!!

Hugs!!!

Julia xx

I feel exactly like you Fluter- towards the end of my taper off xanax and still now 2 1/2 weeks off I have the worst exhaustion- I sleep 7-8 hours a night but still find it hard to get out of bed I am so tired. All day my eyes feel heavy- I have no energy. I used to be a very high energy person. I too wonder how long this fatigue will last.

OTRM :)

First let me say how happy I am for you. You did it, you made it. *WAY TO GO*!

This is just the weirdest feeling, and my brain wants to take me down the health road...like what's wrong with me now. I've been having to do lots of self talk...*NO FLUTER*! Your NOT having a Stroke.

Also over the last couple of days when sleeping...I've had the weirdest dreams. Vivid and weird. Like something out of Alice in Wonderland. Last night I was in New York in some amazing yet weird hotel and I was staying on floor 1700 *WHAT THE HECK*. I would wake and when going back to sleep would go right back into that dream. Gosh, no wonder I'm tired ;)

I like you am very capable of being high energy; however, today, I've gone from my bed to my couch.

Just waiting for this to pass.

I wish you continued healing.

Fluter  :)

It seems so counter-intuitive to be on benzo withdrawal and have "hypersomnia", doesn't it just?!

I get the same feeling as you guys, burning eyes (with huge under eye bags) ... and I nap for 1.5 to 2 hours, no problem going back to sleep for 7 to 8 hours per night. The rest of the day is organised as to get things done... it is very frustrating.

FluterByee, if this is a new symptom, it is likely to lift and hopefully not come back before long. Maybe try to rest for now? Would you think your body is actually asking you for more sleep to rest and repair? It is so hard to know... however battling symptoms usually only makes them worse... be gentle on yourself :hug:

You know Julz I do believe for the first time during my entire taper...I am embracing this SX. I can't not. I literally have to lay down or rest or sleep when it hits me, and I'm actually allowing myself to do it.

I'm trying to look at this as a positive. I have gone without sleep for so many years, and obviously my body needs the rest, and from my mouth to GOD's ears...let the healing happen :)  I'm ready!

If exhaustion is a withdrawal symptom, the good news is that it will lift, like other symptoms... I am beginning to think that my exhaustion has been caused by long term use of psychoactive drugs as it happened before I decided to taper off them  :'(

Julz...I hope for all of us that this SX will eventually lift, and we will feel a sense of renewal, and our energy will return better than ever, and when that happens *BOY WILL MY HOUSE GET CLEANED* ;)

Take care of yourselves Buddies, our bodies know what they are doing  :thumbsup: ...much more than doctors with pills  >:(

You are not alone with your exhaustion/fatigue... :hug: hang in there!!!

You take care too, and yes, I agree...our bodies know so much more than a pill ever could. I'm so glad that we are finally listening to them. 

It's nice to know were not alone.

Hmmm, I wonder if this is how a bear feels when it goes into hibernation  ::)

Continued Healing to ALL,

Fluter  :smitten:

Hugs!!!

Julia xx

So glad I found this thread.  And I hope someone can relate and explain if my experience is normal. It started in January when I hit tolerance.  When I wake up in the morng, I take my 530AM dose fall back to sleep and then wake up at 700 in full blown panic.  Up until recently I'd try to stay in bed forcing myself to fall back to sleep because I was too tiered to get up. Recently I've just been getting up as laying there is torture.  Getting dressed is a chore, I move like I'm in slow motion, exhausted, poor balance, foggy. I just feel so over medicated. It typically lasts to mid morng for and then can let up a bit only to cone back in the late afternoon.  I've had days where I have energy to walk 20 or 30 minutes. And then some very light weights or stretching but then in down and out for a day or 2.  I also notice after I cut and my cuts are small i'm back to slow motion next day. Is moving slow a WD Sxs. When in that state I walk like a 90 year old.  Can the Valium build up in your system where you constantly feel over medicated.  Any feedback is greatly appreciated. I'm so scared of the slowness and unrelenting daily fatigue. Thx

So glad I found this thread.  And I hope someone can relate and explain if my experience is normal. It started in January when I hit tolerance.  When I wake up in the morng, I take my 530AM dose fall back to sleep and then wake up at 700 in full blown panic.  Up until recently I'd try to stay in bed forcing myself to fall back to sleep because I was too tiered to get up. Recently I've just been getting up as laying there is torture.  Getting dressed is a chore, I move like I'm in slow motion, exhausted, poor balance, foggy. I just feel so over medicated. It typically lasts to mid morng for and then can let up a bit only to cone back in the late afternoon.  I've had days where I have energy to walk 20 or 30 minutes. And then some very light weights or stretching but then in down and out for a day or 2.  I also notice after I cut and my cuts are small i'm back to slow motion next day. Is moving slow a WD Sxs. When in that state I walk like a 90 year old.  Can the Valium build up in your system where you constantly feel over medicated.  Any feedback is greatly appreciated. I'm so scared of the slowness and unrelenting daily fatigue. Thx

Hi Mena,

By the way...I really like your name :)

Yep, your normal (hate to break it to you) this / these feelings can all be our new norm while in WD.

I've recently been hit by severe fatigue...unlike anything I have ever known or felt.  Some days it's like I can't hardly keep my eyes open, they burn, and my face feels like it's melting (it literally) feels like it is tired and pulling downward.

I think it's GREAT that you have days of being able to exercise or use light weights. Keep it up. I was just telling a friend...my body will probably go into shock when I'm finally able to start exercising again.

To sum it up...YES, you are normal, and YES, it will get better. I sure hope this helped?

Have the best day you can :)

Fluter  :hug:

Flutter, God Bless You for responding. Thank you so very much.  It's amazing to me how tiered we are especially after a cut and then some days you feel like ok, I think I'm getting better and then bang you get punched with extreme and I mean EXTREME fatigue so bad that moving is a chore and you feel like your going to collapse.  Anyway, yes- your response has helped me immensely.  Thank you and God Bless.

Flutter, God Bless You for responding. Thank you so very much.  It's amazing to me how tiered we are especially after a cut and then some days you feel like ok, I think I'm getting better and then bang you get punched with extreme and I mean EXTREME fatigue so bad that moving is a chore and you feel like your going to collapse.  Anyway, yes- your response has helped me immensely.  Thank you and God Bless.

Hey Mena,

Glad it helped. It's nice to know that others are in the same boat with us; somehow, it makes if feel less scary. Well, at least it does for me.

This morning I was able to get up, make my bed, fix breakfast for my parent's, clean the kitchen, and plan dinner for tonight, and while washing the dishes BAM I could feel it coming on.  So, I will just go with it, and rest for a while...really that's all we can do.

I say whatever this day brings us...let's just try to embrace it  :angel:

Health and continued healing straight to you :)

Fluter  :hug:

Sound like a productive morning. What you just mentioned is pretty much all  I can do most days and sometimes I'm so exhausted my husband brings hone take our or grill cuz I'm just not up to it. Which bumbs me out because I love looking.  I've never suffered from depression until this mess and I'm guessing that adds to the fatigue and the desire to do nothing.  Thanks for being so sweet and sharing. Yes it is comforting to know our Sxs are shared, it's takes away my fear that somethings else is wrong.  Thank you.

Sound like a productive morning. What you just mentioned is pretty much all  I can do most days and sometimes I'm so exhausted my husband brings hone take our or grill cuz I'm just not up to it. Which bumbs me out because I love looking.  I've never suffered from depression until this mess and I'm guessing that adds to the fatigue and the desire to do nothing.  Thanks for being so sweet and sharing. Yes it is comforting to know our Sxs are shared, it's takes away my fear that somethings else is wrong.  Thank you.

Mena,

This is just one day out of many.

I have been unable to do much this last week.

I used to cook just about every night...now, I do good to cook 1 or 2 times per week.

Benzo Depression is the worst. Typically, I have not had depression in my life UNTIL benzo WD's, and boy I had NO idea it could be so harsh, but it can, and it was, and it is.

There are so many things to try and come to terms with during this journey...2 many 2 list; however, all we can do is take it one day at a time, and always HOPE that tomorrow will be better :)

Take good care,

FB  :hug:

Hi Mena and Welcome to the thread! :hug:

I'm sorry you are experiencing this debilitating fatigue. But as FluterByee has already said, you are absolutely not alone!

Where I can especially relate is in wondering how on Earth does fatigue appear out of nowhere when you've been on benzos for a while - did you immediately link it to hitting tolerance?

I've been polydrugged for years and never felt great on the drugs but I noticed the fatigue suddenly worsen, it was a blow!! It took me a while to link it to benzos... I still don't know how/why... but getting off those drugs is probably the best thing to do  :thumbsup:

Hi FluterByee!

I'm glad you managed to do quite a bit and allowed yourself to rest when you needed to  :thumbsup:  Acceptance and Surrender to rest has helped me get through so much... it is not always easy to do but it does make everything easier.  :thumbsup:

Yes, tomorrow can always be better, and there is hope, always!!

I am so thankful for the Wonderful People of BBLand  :smitten:

Julz xxx

Hi FluterByee!

I'm glad you managed to do quite a bit and allowed yourself to rest when you needed to  :thumbsup:  Acceptance and Surrender to rest has helped me get through so much... it is not always easy to do but it does make everything easier.  :thumbsup:

Yes, tomorrow can always be better, and there is hope, always!!

Hi there Julz,

How are you today?  Good I hope!

You know one of the things that I find so frustrating...is feeling tired and bored at the same time.  Bored beyond belief, and just 2 tired 2 do anything about it. Grrrr!

You are so right about trying to find Acceptance and Surrender...it kinda of goes against my grain. I think there are a lot of us like that.  Must admit....it's all about CONTROL, and that my friend I have had to lean to let go of.  Well, some of it at least  :laugh:

Peace to you,

Fluter  :smitten:

Hi Fluter  :smitten:

Thanks for checking on me!! Oh talk about control... this is totally against my grain too! We are learning in this process... we will have some positives come out of all this  :thumbsup:

Feeling tired and bored at the same time is the worst... I've had that this morning, waking up too early but not sleepy-tired if that makes sense  :idiot:

I've been practicing yoga every morning for the past 2 or 3 months and I have to say that it's helped me a lot to cope! As did mindfulness but there is only so much I can do in a day  :crazy: ...still, there is always tomorrow! LOL  ;) 

How are you doing yourself?  :smitten:

Thanks for responding Jules, it helps q great deal.  God Bless Us Everyone

I am thinking of you Mena!!  :smitten:

• 1 month later...
Well I didn't even KNOW that such terrifying fatigue existed! I always thought fatigue was not much to talk about i.e. not painfull. How wrong was I! The most surprising thing is your body is not really tired; it's your brain making you think so. I know because I did a test by tightening my hands as hard as I can and they are as forcedull as ever, no muscle fatigue there. But I swear, I feel like a 100 years old when this hits me... So much so I'm afraid to go from my bed to the kitchen! AWFULL!

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

This is an older support group but this fatigue I have is epic and unrelenting.

Hi Mate, i started this thread all those years ago. Yes it is brutal and scary. Just know in time it gets better

Great, this thread has started again.

I have been lying on the bed, and the sofa, for 30 months. Physical problems I accept, but not fatigue. During this time, I hardly could go to the bathroom. I'm no longer bedside, but sitting on the couch almost all the time. This life is so frustrating, and it's hard to take care of my home. Do you also think it's difficult?