• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ve...]

• [gi...]

• [pa...]

• [An...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi V :)

I'll see to it that the post benzo thread gets bumped up from time to time.

By the way, we didn't end up going to Mt St Helens today. Instead we went to the Portland Zoo. I looked at the forecast for today which said a high of 61 degrees. Knock off some degrees for elevation plus the high was at 4:00pm and I didn't think it would be so enjoyable.

Fortunately, we got to the zoo at a good time and there was still parking available. The zoo is a nice place but I think the parking there is atrocious! :P

Since we left so early, we drove through part of downtown and I stopped by the Levis store to say hi. Most of them either know me or know of me since my Levis article in the paper. They still have the selvedge made old fashioned Levis for sale there, the kind I'm so fond of. :)

It's nice to be back home now. I got the rest of my lawn mowed and edged just in time in case rain should come back. I've got some packing to do tomorrow for the new upcoming trip. Also, my Mom and husband are flying out here for my daughter's graduation next week. Tomorrow, I've got a singing practice with the acompianist. I'll be doing the music at the graduation Mass.

Whew! What a week! At least all the activity is keeping recent troubles at bay! Every day, I've been feeling more like myself. Still some periods of heart palps and some tension headaches brought on by recent stress. I'm sure you can relate.

Again, V, all see to keeping the thread up. I wish you the best and I hope to sneak in one more reply to you here before you go.

Take good care. May your life be filled with just the right balance of work, play and eustress! :thumbsup:

Hi Muscatine:

Well, I did hurt my back in 2006 trying to show off wake boarding but that was also when I was on 1 mg of Klonopin plus 1 mg of ativan and paxil.  I was also out of shape and due to the effects of the drugs and shouldn't of been wake boarding at all!  I ended up with a herniated disc for approximately nine months at that time too.  The difference was, I needed to attend the Advanced Spinal Clinic, have cortisone shots in my back and do intense exercises for the pain to diminish.  I felt very lucky at the time when it finally went away.

I think during benzo withdrawal, you are attacked in your weakest spots.  Maybe because I had issues there before, it became problematic when off the benzos.  The only difference was, there was no incident that prompted it.  I simply woke up one day and it was there.  It was worse than it was in 2006 and there was nothing I did that helped the pain.  I tried physio and acupuncture but nothing helped.  In 2006, I also took percocet for the pain but during benzo withdrawal I refused to add another drug as I was afraid of how it would affect me. 

As I stated earlier, it just went away after 8 months.  I didn't really do anything different except start exercising more.  At the time, I felt it was just normal and not related to benzo withdrawal.  In retrospect however, I believe the way it mysteriously appeared and then in the same way disappeared that it was absolutely related to the benzos. 

Sorry to hear that you are struggling with depression, muscle soreness, insomnia and fatigue.  I had all those symptoms.  They have all went away and so will yours with time.  Stick to it musctine and keep believing.  It really does improve.

Pangelingua:  That is so neat that you have continued singing through all of this!  So glad that you are feeling so much more like your self and have recovered so much!  You have worked hard at getting well and I hope you keep feeling better!

As I stated earlier, it just went away after 8 months.  I didn't really do anything different except start exercising more.  At the time, I felt it was just normal and not related to benzo withdrawal.  In retrospect however, I believe the way it mysteriously appeared and then in the same way disappeared that it was absolutely related to the benzos. 

I also started exercising more around 9 months and it helped me to get back on track.  After a while though, I think I was doing too many sit ups and ended up getting some lower back pain after a while.  I've found the recumbant exercise bike to be very helpful.  It's a little harder for me to get out on my outdoor bike but I enjoy that too. I restarted a consistent exercise program last week and hope to get back in shape this summer, but much more gradually than the last time I did this!

Vertigo

Hi V :)  I'll see to it that the post benzo thread gets bumped up from time to time.

Whew! What a week! At least all the activity is keeping recent troubles at bay! Every day, I've been feeling more like myself. Still some periods of heart palps and some tension headaches brought on by recent stress. I'm sure you can relate. I wish you the best and I hope to sneak in one more reply to you here before you go. Take good care. May your life be filled with just the right balance of work, play and eustress! :thumbsup:

Hi Mike,

Glad you're doing well despite recent stressful challenges and troubles.  As for bumping up this thread, I'm not saying you should or shouldn't.  I was just saying that once I leave forum, I will not be able to keep the thread going and if any fellow post benzo buddies continue to find it helpful or wish to make it available for others, I am passing the torch this weekend.

Gotta run but I'll still be around til Sunday,

Vertigo

Hey everyone,

I am a "new" post benzo buddy. I just recently celebrated 5 months off of benzos. I am also winding down from a week long window of feeling pretty good. The dr/dp is still pretty bad and yesterday I had to go do some things for work while I was suffering from some sinus issues, mainly runny nose. I took a alka-seltzer allergy and sinus liquid gel and boy did I feel really bad after I took that. It made all of my withdrawal symptoms come back with a vengeance. So today I took it easy and just kind of laid in front of the TV, but I felt like it was the first day all over again. Anyone have recommendations on allergy medicines that don't cause severe resurgence of w/d symptoms? I can't take benadryl because of how it makes me feel...I have also recently quit smoking cigarettes as they were aggravating the symptoms I had with tight chest and unable to take deep breaths, so that has been helping. Also, when I exercise it feels like after 45 minutes of cardio (stationary bike) it starts to set off a panic attack which lasts  for about 30 minutes. I just feel faint, lead foot, dizzy, etc. Uggh. I am so tired of this process but I refuse to let myself feel down. Keep on plugging away at the days till 5 months turns into a year.

Hey everyone,  I am a "new" post benzo buddy. I just recently celebrated 5 months off of benzos. I am also winding down from a week long window of feeling pretty good. The dr/dp is still pretty bad and yesterday I had to go do some things for work while I was suffering from some sinus issues, mainly runny nose. I took a alka-seltzer allergy and sinus liquid gel and boy did I feel really bad after I took that. It made all of my withdrawal symptoms come back with a vengeance. So today I took it easy and just kind of laid in front of the TV, but I felt like it was the first day all over again. Anyone have recommendations on allergy medicines that don't cause severe resurgence of w/d symptoms? I can't take benadryl because of how it makes me feel...I have also recently quit smoking cigarettes as they were aggravating the symptoms I had with tight chest and unable to take deep breaths, so that has been helping. Also, when I exercise it feels like after 45 minutes of cardio (stationary bike) it starts to set off a panic attack which lasts  for about 30 minutes. I just feel faint, lead foot, dizzy, etc. Uggh. I am so tired of this process but I refuse to let myself feel down. Keep on plugging away at the days till 5 months turns into a year.

Congratulations on five months off Wedescribe.  Sounds like you've had some windows and waves.  Sinus problems can be a bear.  Hopefully the cessation of smoking will help improve your overall health and breathing.  Do you monitor your blood pressure or heart rate when you exercise?  It's important not to overdo it.  We will look forward to your updates moving forward.

Vertigo

Any "new" post benzo buddies who are experiencing symptoms some days, weeks or months after benzo freedom?

Vertigo

Yeah I remember back in July of 2001 I had a panic attack, right after I graduated. I was young, only 17 years old, and my life was forever altered on that night. I freaked out, I thought I was dying, blah blah blah, I told my parents and they took me to the ER. They ran all sorts of tests found out nothing was wrong with me physically, so they sent me home with a low dose of xanax. Now after almost a decade I am starting to feel like myself again. After a decade of being a numb zombie I can FEEL again. Such a rip off but I guarantee that everyday for the rest of my life will be a thousand times better than any day I spent on those f!*(#@( pills!

Hard to believe, but it's almost exactly 4 years since I took that first poison valium pill!  And 3 years since I came to this forum after tapering down to 2mg back in June 2009, and one year since I wrote my success story last May.

Vertigo

Yeah I remember back in July of 2001 I had a panic attack, right after I graduated. I was young, only 17 years old, and my life was forever altered on that night. I freaked out, I thought I was dying, blah blah blah, I told my parents and they took me to the ER. They ran all sorts of tests found out nothing was wrong with me physically, so they sent me home with a low dose of xanax. Now after almost a decade I am starting to feel like myself again. After a decade of being a numb zombie I can FEEL again. Such a rip off but I guarantee that everyday for the rest of my life will be a thousand times better than any day I spent on those f!*(#@( pills!

July 2001, eh?  Still an innocent time for the world, pre 911, WeDescribe.  At least 10 years later, Osama Bin Laden has been brought to justice.  I'm sorry you spent the last decade in limbo but at least you were alive.  I think that day made us all feel a little grateful to be alive, even if in a world where such evil things could be done.  I had just been on an International trip that Spring 2001 and it was a long time after September 11th before I felt half comfortable flying, although I've had to fly several times a year every year since 911.  It's enough to make you want to take xanax or something. 

Yet, it took me another 7 years before I asked for something to "help take the edge off" before a planned international trip in 2008.  I had not been out of the United States since 2001 and felt some anxiety about a long 10 hour flight and the prospect of travelling with a sibling who I don't get along with, so I asked for the valium :idiot:.  My father, who had recently been diagnosed with cancer, wanted his two sons and grandchildren to take a last big trip together, so it was hard to refuse.

The physician's aid initially suggested xanax and for some reason, the doctor felt valium would be better.  I am actually very grateful that it wasn't xanax because after being on forum a few years, it appears to be harder to come off, just a perception, not based on any science.  However, that doctor prescribed 4 times the valium dose (according to a neurologist I saw after my c/t) that I needed (10mg) "to take the edge off" for that trip. 2.5mg would have been plenty. Fortunately, most days I cut it in half and only took 5mg.  Well, it's water under the bridge now.  The important thing is that even if it took some number of years, it's a blessing to be off the benzo poison and there are blessings in life despite the evil and ignorance still in the world.

Vertigo

Hi All:

Had a rough nite of intense heatups and chills for about 3 hrs.  Hence, my sleep was crappo.  Also, some internal vibrations inbetween sleeping (6 am - 8:30 a.m.) and crazy, racing thoughts.  I haven't had a nite this bad since 5/2/12.  Oh well, I just keep telling myself it will end. 

What a lousy tradeoff -- some benzo sleep for awhile, and then BAM - game over.  Unsuspecting patients are overdosed and uninformed to top it all off.  Makes me wonder if doctors know anything about prescription drugs other than what the pharm reps tell them. 

I do think healing is taking place -- but at an imperceptibly slow pace.  I daily track my day, activities, mood, etc. so I know there have been some good months in there, followed by a worse month.  That seems to be my pattern for benzo healing. 

Anyone else notice if they have a pattern in this healing process?

Best regards to all  (V; gonna miss you buddy -- can't talk you into staying around longer??)  How about a big box of chocolates?

Rocko

I am 34 months benzo free and much improved. I would like to write a success story, but I am not quite far enough along for that yet. I would say I am about 70% recovered. I  still feel bad a lot of the time but things just aren't unbearable the way they were the first 24 months of withdrawal. I am very grateful to be slowly regaining my health. Even if I never heal more than this, I can live with this level of discomfort. FOr the year couple of years, I thought about suicide every 10 minutes. Now, I never even consider it.

Yes, benzodiazePete, many of us start to see better healing past the 3 year mark.  Your other 30% of healing should come this next coming year.  Congratulations for having survived.  It takes guts and a need to get our lives back on track.

Patty  xo

I am 34 months benzo free and much improved. I would like to write a success story, but I am not quite far enough along for that yet. I would say I am about 70% recovered. I  still feel bad a lot of the time but things just aren't unbearable the way they were the first 24 months of withdrawal. I am very grateful to be slowly regaining my health. Even if I never heal more than this, I can live with this level of discomfort. FOr the year couple of years, I thought about suicide every 10 minutes. Now, I never even consider it.

Hi BenzPete.  You're about 3-4 months ahead of me at 34 months.  It sounds like you had a really rough first two years.  70% is a long way to come.  Glad you are living with less discomfort now as you regain your strength.

Vertigo

Hi All:

Had a rough nite of intense heatups and chills for about 3 hrs.  Hence, my sleep was crappo.  Also, some internal vibrations inbetween sleeping (6 am - 8:30 a.m.) and crazy, racing thoughts.  I haven't had a nite this bad since 5/2/12.  Oh well, I just keep telling myself it will end.    What a lousy tradeoff -- some benzo sleep for awhile, and then BAM - game over.  Unsuspecting patients are overdosed and uninformed to top it all off.  Makes me wonder if doctors know anything about prescription drugs other than what the pharm reps tell them.  I do think healing is taking place -- but at an imperceptibly slow pace.  I daily track my day, activities, mood, etc. so I know there have been some good months in there, followed by a worse month.  That seems to be my pattern for benzo healing.  Anyone else notice if they have a pattern in this healing process?  Best regards to all  (V; gonna miss you buddy -- can't talk you into staying around longer??)  How about a big box of chocolates?

Rocko

Hey Rocko.  I agree that it's frustrating to have some respit and then find that you've moved back a few steps in the process.  I was annoyed this Spring when I got the adrenalin surges and bouts of insomnia after I started coaching my son's sports team. I think the CNS waxes and wanes some, especially when out of the ordinary stress comes up.  I'm not so sure that the Big Pharma reps even know the whole story when it comes to potential side effects of all the drugs they are pedaling.  Everyone reacts differently to them and may have a different response when trying to stop some of them.  A consistent pattern for healing?  I'll let you know when I find one :pokey::)

Box of chocolates sounds yummy.  Lizzy offered to send me a kangaroo, but alas I must move on this time.  I was talked into staying around this time last year.  This time I can't do it :(.  Oh well, maybe some of y'all will help a few others along the way after you're all healed.  Sunday will be my last day.

Best,

Vertigo

I guess I can contribute here since I'm almost two months benzo free now.  I'll be back...

Challis

Hi Challis.  Congrats on 2 months free :thumbsup:.  Look forward to hearing from you later.

Vertigo