Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Short term benzo users

[sn...]

My acute lasted at least 2 months.  I was on Xanax for 3 months and ignorantly did a c/t withdrawal.  My experience has been horrible, probably due to the fact that I cold turkeyed.  I am just over 6 months since my last Xanax, and I am about 85 % healed.  You will heal, and most likely faster than me.  Every week makes a difference for the better.  Hang in there.

• Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [me...]

• [...]

• [su...]

• [Co...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks meggiemay. What would you say was the difference between your acute and when it ended? How did you feel different? What symptoms were you having before that stopped or got way better?

Hi Challenger,

I think we are in the same road  :)

I'm a very short benzo user. I was on Klonopin .25 (Known as Clonotril in India) for 2 and half weeks. My sleep was fine before this medication but after withdrawal I was unable fall in sleep for 3 days. After 1 week It improved a lot even though it's not a deep sleep, I go to bed at 9 and I wake up between 1 to 2 then I again go back to sleep (little hard to fall back to sleep but i will sleep for sure). Then I again wake up between 4 to 4:30 and I force my self to bed again, I will get some sleep then the next wake up will be around 6 to 6:30. I'm hitting REM (Rapid Eye MOvement) that's why I'm dreaming but not falling in SWS (Slow Wave Sleep/ Deep Sleep)

In Dr. Ashton's Manual, It says that it takes little long time to reach SWS. So move with sleep hygiene.

Hi challenger,

I took my last dose on 15/Sep (Cold Turkey), now its been 3 weeks since my withdrawal. I'm doing good bro, I'm expecting a full recovery within next two months. My last night sleep was also good, sleep is improving gradually. I started this medication for my Panic Attack (first time) which had in august but it's affected my healthy sleep, I didn't know that benzo did this to me, I realized about benzo withdrawal symptoms when I googled about this medication.

here is a nice success story I found, check it out http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=137917.0

Thanks midhun? What were you taking for your panic attacks, and are you still taking it? How is your anxiety now? Mine has been pretty high the last few days.

I had Panic Attack in my dream. I never had any anxity problem before, but I got angxity after withdrawal. The reason why I got panic attack is because of my 1day 2 nights trip on an Indian train,. The train food was insanely disgusting so I ignored the food and didnt eat anything until I reach my destination, no food since the morning man and I reached my destination by midnight 2:00 am. I was extreamly tired when I was checking in a Hotel, that night I had Panic attack in my sleep. And next morning I was fine. It happened because of lack of food and sleep.

I told my parents about this, so for their concern I consulted a doctor (biggest mistake I ever done in my life) and he prescribed klonopin .25 for two days. Stupid doctor fueled my anxity to next level. I started experiencing day time angxity which I never experienced before. And I didnt know that it because of the drug inside me. I was unable fall in sleep because of increased angxity and I called doctor and told him about the shit I'm going through. So he wanted me to reinstate klonopin for 2 weeks. After withdrwal, It was full of Sh***t man. Insomnia, Head ache, frozen brain, anemia, bad nights. first 1 week was horrible. Second week was also little horrible.

Currently my angxity is too damn low, well there is no angxity left.

Here are some tips to reduce your Angxity.

1) Ashwagandha (Ginseng) It's a very strong herb that helps to reduce angxity. I recommend Organic India Ashwagandha from Amazon. If you can get Ashwagandha tonic in your vicinity, that's a great choice.  :thumbsup:

2) Eat well (vitamin rich foods)

3) Magnesium foods such as Almonds, Bananas and Cashews

4) Play Video Games

5) Mastrubation/ sex

6) Exercise (Exercise reduce angxity) Use treadmill to break a sweat.

7) Tulsi Tea is a great choice

Here are some cool YouTube Channels you can watch in your free time  :smitten:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pI3nT-_kW8

Hello Everyone-  Blessed and Cosair I hope things turn for you both soon.  I don't want to comment on how I'm doing yet, because the day is not over.  We all know things can change in a heartbeat.  Tomorrow I have to do a lot of driving. I'm praying things go smooth.

Peace be with everyone!!

Thank you, sierra532000!  :smitten:

Things are still pretty tough. I hope you are feeling some relief today!

I wish us all comfort and complete healing very soon!  :smitten:

Hi Guys,

I am now 8 months benzo free. I took them for about 2 months only, and still having symptoms. But not severe as the beginning. The most challenging month was the 6th (HELL). The 7th month, I had a long window of about 2 weeks, then had a wave of headache and pain. Then windows start to occur more often. This month I had a severe headache that caused me hallucinations and nausea, two days after, I had a good window. Now I am in a wave, but not that strong. Some symptoms come and go, You never know when they will come back. But I think the worst is done.

What I have noticed during this whole withdrawal, is that when I get bad headache, mostly it is followed by a window. Not sure if you have this guys? Maybe after 2 other months I will post a success story. I hope so!

Leman,

I took Xanax for only 3 months.  Had a horrible c/t withdrawal.  I am at 6 1/2 months since last dose.  I still have some lingering symptoms.  I still wake up about 5 times per night.  How is your sleep?

I am 3 months and 1 day from 1 week rapid taper off lowest dose 0.25 xanax. I have made a lot of progress! Wow, it feels great to type those words! The words "pure hell" definitely describes this process of withdrawal and recovery. I have never in my life been through something so horrible. It has literally been as if being in a hole, hanging on by my finger nails and trying to climb my way out! Wow! Just wow! I do still have some symptoms but thankful they aren't as many nor as intense has they have been since the 6th day of my jump. I have experienced over at least 100 symptoms. Goodness gracious, how thankful I am to not be where I was even just a week ago.

I will post in my progress log of what all has helped me thus far. Everyone, please know that you aren't alone and that it DOES get better with each passing day. Stay strong! You really are stronger than you realize!

God bless each and everyone! We will get through this!  :smitten:

I wish us all comfort and complete healing very soon!  :smitten:

I am hoping to be posting my success story very soon!!  :smitten:

Relatively short term klonepin user here - about 3 months on the klon and also using etizolam (10 mg day? give or take) for a couple weeks as well.  Just finished a 3 month taper and jumped last week.

I used some diclazepam to cut out the etizolam the first couple of weeks and once I got that out of the way I began the klon taper.  I was taking (stabilized) on 1.5 mg klonepin per day.  The taper to zero took three months and towards the end I went a bit in dosage (from .125 mg back up to .25 mg) during some oral surgery.  Back down to .125 and then jumped on 10/9/2015.

Depression - gone for all intents and purposes - considering I was calling a suicide hotline in the beginning.  It was horrible.

Anxiety:  present still but no where NEAR how bad it was during the taper process.  It was also horrible.

I am FAR from being myself but taking into account what the past few months was like, I am trying to keep it all in perspective so I can't complain.

The worst thing I am experiencing is ... a denationalization of sorts - I feel very foggy.  My memory seems shot. 

I work and that, surprisingly, is OK. 

I also am trying to keep busy and do things - be it reading, watching film or working in a garden.  I find it imperative to keep busy and out of my head where I will focus on the negatives.

This slow tapering method recommended here?  A God send.  Yes, I have detoxed off of benzos before including once time having a seizure and another time going through a fast detox in 5 days in a rehab - the first two months out of that rehab were a nightmare.

This slow tapering is the way to go.  At first I wanted it just to be over and I really had to exert great efforts to NOT go faster, but I'm glad I did not because in the end IT WORKS.  I also had the very great support of my doctor who is an awesome guy.

Satisfied customer of the slow taper process recommended here - I think it's the only way to go even though it was tough at the beginning and I thought I'd never finish it. 

I had to make up a spreadsheet so I could stick to my plan - LOL - I'm looking at it right now.  I would check off each day.  May sound kind of silly but that's what I did to help me stay on schedule and also look at my progress in black and white.

Anyway, I think us short termers have it easier than those who have been on the benzos for years - at least based on what I've read here.  Maybe though I'm just in a fog - I have to some degree blocked out some of the worst feelings and don't think about them unless I'm here writing about them and remember "holy $#%^ - I was calling the suicide hotline three months ago".  Seems like another world...

Hi meggiemay

My sleep is not affected that much, some days I sleep very well. and few others I get very bad nightmares that wake up me. I am still taking Cipralex (Antidepressant) which may have help with my sleep. My bad problem is the tightness of chest, eyes always tight and painful (Around my eyes), painful legs, nerve sensations everywhere. And sometimes bad anxiety and depression.

I feel anxious. It's getting difficult getting scripts for my meds and I will try next week. I hate it. I can't withdraw right now so I need a new prescription  :(

I also hate the fact that ppl think I'm mentally ill, because I now know it's not true, but they don't believe in withdrawal this far out.  :-[

I feel powerless.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Corsair. Sorry you're still dealing with the muscle spasms. I know how frustrating those are (have gotten them periodically). It may not seem like it, but you must be healing.

I just got bloodwork back that showed my thyroid and blood sugar are finally back to normal, yet I'm still having some waves with bad insomnia and other symptoms at 10+ months benzo-free.

These things just take so much time to disappear -- takes an incredible amount of patience. Hang in there.

• 1 month later...
Prescribed 4mg Xanax a day for three weeks. Started to get interdose withdrawals. Found a benzo savy psychiatrist who only prescribes benzos for the purpose of slowly tapering you off. Changed me over to 4mgs clonazapam because of its longer half life.  Started a 32 week taper six weeks ago reducing .125 every two weeks. Can't believe I will be tapering this long since my use was short term but high dose. As of now I am down to 3.5 mg and will reduce again .125?this Tuesday. As my total dose decreases so will my reduction amounts. He doesn't believe in pill cutting as the doses are not consistent. I have 1mg tablets, .5mg tablets, .25 dissolvable wafers as well as .125 dissolvable wafers. When reductions go below .125 he is sending me to a compounding pharmacy. The first few weeks I was consumed with fear which exacerbated my symptoms. I have been able to get 6-7 hours of sleep a night. Thank God for my sister who dragged me out of the house to eat and get my Christmas shopping done and wrapped. I have to push myself every day to drive the kids to school come home and shower and get myself out of the house. I have found trying to have a positive attitude and staying off the horror story forums is essential. I read success forums and gratitude forums. God help us all. These pills should be banned.  My doc says they are much harder to get off of than heroin

Jayne - that is a great story filled with hope!  So many folks are looking for that kind of pdoc, I wish there were 100 in every state/country/province!

Yah - 4mg Xanax is wicked-strong! I'm not surprised pdoc is tapering you so long.  I took around 10mg of ativan for 4 days and took me 2.5 weeks to finally feel like I wasn't going to die.  And the next round of usage was shorter and s/x lasted even longer still!!

You'll get through this, and getting busy exercising and distracting will help.

Happy New Year!

Dave

Thanks Dave. When I went to my appointment last night he suggested cutting .125 every week instead of ever two weeks. My signature is a little confusing (I'm new to this). Original doc who prescribed the 4 mg a day for three months was my primary doc. After taking them as prescribed for six weeks I started to feel like utter crap. Quickly found the benzo savy psychiatrist who immediately started the .125 reduction every two weeks. Last nights appointment really threw me into panic mode. He says he will go with whatever plan I want but strongly feels I should not be on such a long term taper due to my short use even though it was such a high dose. Am leaving for Disney World in 6 weeks for my daughters sweet sixteen with my husband and three of her friends. I don't want to feel any worse than I do now and am terrified that I will not be able to function if I taper to fast. It's hard enough right now. What do you think?  Maybe I should continue with what I have been doing until we return from Florida and then try the weekly .125 reduction when I get home. Please help me I really don't know what to do. My husband is a doctor and thinks I should go with the weekly reduction plan. He has never taken a benzo in his life, much less had to go through the withdrawals of coming off of them. Thanks

If you are going through w/d right now, then I would stick out the current dosage until you get some relief.  Stay on this for at least 2 weeks.  No way in hell I would reduce dosage while feeling like crap as you won't feel better, you'll feel worse.  BUT with that being said, it does not make sense to stay on current dosage for more than a month as you could start hitting tolerance instead of just stabilizing.

Tell your doc the truth - you feel horrible right now, you want to do 10 day to 2 week cuts at 10% and you're very scared that cutting every week will lead to severe s/x and the Disney trip is exacerbating the situation.

It's normal to have fear of each cut as s/x with kick up a little.  If you taper slowly you should be relatively s/x free after around 7 days.  And the s/x should be manageable.

I would work up a schedule so you do a cut a week to 10 days before going to disney, and make certain you remain at that level until you get back.

Take sun glasses and ear plugs.  Drink bottled water and bland healthy food while there.  Bring a good book(s) or some distraction/escape activity you like.

Keep telling yourself you can do this, because you can.  Our mind is telling us we can't, that's just the normal progression of detoxing from this crap.

You'll do it!  And you'll make good memories.

Dave

Dave you are an absolute doll!!! The bring your sunglasses and ear plugs cracked me up. Thank God I have a doctor who will let me go at a pace I am most comfortable with. I'll just stick to the .125 reduction every 2 weeks until after the trip. Then I will see how I am feeling. Thank you so much for all of your positive input it really made me feel better.

Hi Jayne - so happy to put a smile on your face.

The sunglasses and ear plugs were serious suggestions - while tapering/detoxing people have bad light and sound sensitivities.  These will help immensely especially at the Disney crazy house! :)

Keep in touch!

Dave

Hi Dave. Called Disney today and since the girls are 16 they are allowed to go into the park alone. Let's be honest, they don't want to hang with us anyway. Lol. The monorail runs right through the lobby of our hotel so she said they can go back and forth as they like. You can only imagine how relieved that I won't have to be in the theme parks all day. Made massage appointments already. You can be sure I will be wearing my sunglasses while there😄

Fantastic news.  I can't imagine trying to do Disney while tapering.  I would be a complete wreck!

You'll get to hear all about it and see their pictures - better than being there!

:)