Insomniac support group

[Sh...]

He is also anti-supplement and feels we should get all nutrition from food.  Basically are bodies are expending too much energy trying to metabolize the artificial vitamins/minerals etc. in supplements.  I take krill oil right now.  I don't think the vitamin d is bad to supplement with though since most people are deficient in that. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Si...]

• [Al...]

• [MT...]

• [Sh...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Sniogra-I just made my first appt for acupuncture on April 8th.

I can help you with eating healthy since I have been eating very heathy for years. I live at Whole Foods:) I have been on a low sugar, low carb, low fat diet for the past 3 years. I am low in Vitamin D.  I had skin cancer so I never go in the sun and my Vitamin D count was 38 in December and it was 19 the year before.

Re: acupuncture - I just had my 3rd treatment in the past 2 weeks. So far, I have not noticed any improvement from it, but I'm trying to keep an open mind, as long as it doesn't seem to be making it worse (hard to tell). Today I was also given some Chinese herbs to take along with the acupuncture -- a little nervous about it, but will give them a shot as well. I figure, how much worse can they make me when I'm already not sleeping, right?

Re: that new sleep med (Belmora?) - I was reading a discussion on this website, where a couple of people have already tried it. They said it did make them tired, but they were still unable to fall asleep. I'm also more than a little hesitant to be a guinea pig for a new pharmaceutical.

Re: yoga nidra - If I find time tomorrow (if I can avoid going back to work), I'll post links to some of my preferred YouTube clips, in case anyone would like to try it.

Re: aging and sleep - It does seem like there are LOT of folks in their 50s on here with sleep problems. And I'm one of them (just turned 58). So unfair -- sleep is wasted on the young!

Wishing everyone a restful night -- and, if possible, some real sleep...

Shirah- do you know what kind of herbs the acupuncturist gave to you? Also- did he/she tell you what they were doing with each acupuncture session...like what area they were focusing on?  Just curious how your experience compares to mine.

I just got done reading klonopin withdrawal and howling dogs.  Very disturbing book- but w/ a happy ending. Author c/t 3 mg of klonopin. Didn't sleep for 5.5 months and took nothing- literally didn't sleep. Regular sleep returned though and now she is doing great.

Hopeful. 

Sniogra - My acupuncturist has only occasionally mentioned what he's doing and why when he's placing the needles. And generally I'm concentrating on breathing and not on anything he might be saying. These herbs are little round pellets and contain a combination of jujube seed, sichuan lovage rhizome, poria schlerotium, anemarrhena rhizome, and Chinese licorice root.

I've read some positive things about acupuncture helping in recovery from benzos, but I'm disappointed so far. In fact, last night I noticed my CNS seemed more revved up than usual. Had a lot of trouble getting into and maintaining a calm state, and it didn't seem like I slept at all. So I'm not sure if I'll continue.

Fran - I also read that Benzo Book and got a lot out of it.

For anyone interested in trying yoga nidra, I'm pasting links to some of the better clips that I've tried:

Under 30 Minutes:

https://youtu.be/1pAGO9-Ao8E

https://youtu.be/Lqy_woD9jsk

https://youtu.be/WN6q9xQHojI

Over 30 Minutes:

https://youtu.be/gFkoBOMVknM

Thanks Fran- I've downloaded the book...it's very informative. 

Shirah....acupuncture could very well be revving you up.  I do know that it takes several sessions to see results...the herbs he gave you could also be causing stimulation.  I find that I cannot take any supplements right now, even herbs, because my CNS is so sensitive to anything. Herbs are also very strong so I would caution you to use any until your nervous system calms down.  I did use a tincture of lemon balm last night to help ease the anxiety before I went to bed and find it has had no negative effect on me. My sleep seems to be deeper when I use lemon balm as well.

The good news is I slept and Fran, I was able to download an app on my phone called Sleep well hypnosis.  IT HELPED!  I put in my earbuds and listened to the lady speak as well as the Sleep booster which is a brainwave frequency to make sleep deeper.  Before I knew it I had fallen asleep.  I still woke up 3 hours later, so I turned it back on and was able to drift off again at 1 am.  Woke up again and 3 am, played it again and went back to sleep for another 2.5 hours.  Feeling a lot better today.

Katie- do you have an iphone?  I got it in the app store.  I went ahead and bought the full app (think it was 2.99) because it has the wave length frequency for deep sleep.  It's kind of like a buzzing noise, but you can adjust the volume on it and I find it soothing. 

Sniogra- I AM SO HAPPY TO HEAR THIS!! I sleep with my iphone under my pillow. I swear that listening to mediation oasis helps get me to fall back to sleep. (relax and sleep guide). I have been sleeping usually 3-4 hours straight but then I wake up and when I do I don't stress about it. I just listen to my iphone and it helps so much. Even my dog is out cold:)

I'll download your app too. As long as you found something that works for you that is great!!!! I'm not sure the adrenal cocktail is doing anything. I'm getting my period on Monday and I never sleep great the week before I get it so......

Fran

I'm happy to report that my muscle spasms seem to have stopped -- for the time being anyway -- which is a huge relief. The magnesium lotion, which arrived yesterday, may have helped. Plus I've been throwing back those adrenal cocktails every evening. Not sure what's helped, just very relieved that my body no longer seems to be at war with itself...As a result, I was a lot calmer last night and went med-free, getting something that passed for light sleep from about 11:30 PM to 4 AM. This is a big deal for me, as most nights I've resorted to taking an AD, which don't seem to work anymore. 

Since I don't see any activity on this thread since yesterday, I hope it's because you're all sleeping in today!

Hi Shirah-I'm still here and I am glad that you slept better. I slept much better last night and yesterday I did not take my adrenal cocktail...and I woke up this AM feeling happy and in a window. Go figure it out..haha.

I'm going to post a great article about exercise and the brain. My husband is a doctor and I spoke to his friend yesterday who is a neurologist. Neurologist know more about coming off a benzo than a Pdoc. He feels that exercise is the best medicine to recover from a benzo. He told me to increase my work out to 2-3 hours per day. I guess I'll be at the gym all day now:)

Glad you are feeling better. Sending you good vibes!!

Fran

http://www.thebestbrainpossible.com/how-exercise-helps-your-brain/

Thanks, Fran! The story at the end of the article about the person recovering from brain trauma is especially pertinent -- very similar to dealing with benzo-related brain damage...I actually have an appointment this afternoon with a neurologist to get his take on the state of my recovery. But before that, I'll heed the exercise advice and go downstairs to the gym in my building and do a light workout...I'll be so glad when spring finally arrives in the frigid Northeast -- this long brutal winter has limited my ability to get outdoors; I miss going for walks.

Shirah-Good luck at the neurologist and please let me know what happens. Also please ask him about exercise and GABA. I'm usually in Palm Beach all winter for Polo, however I decided it was better to stay at my house while I recuperate rather than be with my mom who has Parkinson's Disease and is very negative. I too live in the Northeast...

I just walked for 90 minutes on the treadmill. My legs are going to break:)....off to the gym after lunch to ride a bike, row and lift some weights. I'm working out 2 hours a day now. The last two days I feel so so so relaxed. I have no anxiety and I know that my GABA is regenerating (I never suffered from anxiety in my life). I'm almost 13 weeks off and I feel like my old self. Everyone heals in time!! Stay positive:)

Fran

Fran - Wow, you are really do a lot of physical activities -- that's inspiring. Once I start getting some more regular sleep and the weather gets nicer, I hope to follow your example.

I just got back from the neurologist's -- an uneventful visit, don't feel like I got much out of it. He knows my goal is to get off all meds, so he didn't bother trying to prescribe anything else or suggest updosing the ADs I'm on, which is just as well. I asked if there's any test I could take to gauge GABA receptor upregulation, but he didn't know of any such test that's readily available. And he also doesn't think my spasms are muscular, but rather caused by the brain, and said there's really nothing that can be done for them. He's supportive of my trying alternative approaches though (starting CBT tomorrow and integrative functional medicine on Monday).

It must be nice having your own doctor in the house!

Shirah-Thanks for getting back to me. I hired a benzo coach and here are my thoughts why. Doctors know NOTHING about the w/d s.x after being on a Benzo. TRUST ME!! The only people who know about it are the people who were on a benzo and they came off of it. My husband is a surgeon, he is very smart and he went to Princeton. He knows nothing about Benzo's. They don't teach it in medical school and the drug reps do NOT tell the Pdoc's the side effects of coming off of a benzo because the Pdoc's would never prescribe it. It's a domino effect.

Honestly, I'm avoiding all doctors until I am 100% healed. My gyn is test crazy and if I told her I was getting my period every two weeks she would send me for 20 different tests. I know there is nothing wrong with me except it's the benzo w/d. It's normal. I might be married to a doctor but I am staying far away from them now...hahahaha

I'm sticking to Dr. Fran's RX which is to continue to eat very healthy. I'm eating tons of brain foods. I'm working out for two hours a day, I'm lifting weights (good for the back of the brain) and I go to sleep every night the same time. I'm even playing word search games and Lumosity (cognitive games). I'm not taking any drugs (only advil if I have a headache) and I am not drinking any alcohol, only water. What more can I do? Time is what is going to heal you, me and everyone on this site. I know that what I am doing is helping me get better. I can feel it in my body and my brain that I am healing.I might not be healed in two or three months however I do know that I will heal in time.

I'm seriously thinking of writing a book and becoming a benzo coach when I am completely healed. I've become a walking source of information about this Benzo journey.

Fran:)

Fran - Where on earth did you find a benzo coach? And how can I find one? I never heard of such a thing. Sounds like a great idea though...I'm also thinking of writing a book about all this, someday after I'm healed.

I found my benzo coach on line. She wrote a book. It's a great profession they work via skype or cell phone. If you private message me I'll give you her info. She is very nice and so understanding more than any doctor.

Well, my reprieve from insomnia was short-lived. After getting some sleep with no meds Wednesday night, last night was a total bust: a return of muscle spasms (myoconic jerks?) with a vengeance that prevented any sleep at all. It is so frustrating: just when I think maybe I've turned a corner, BAM!, I go right into another wall. In so much pain now; it's going to be one of those days to just get through somehow. And I'd been hoping to be able to go tango dancing tonight (my main passion). So disappointed.

I hope you all did lots better.

Good morning Shirah-So sorry to hear about your sleep. What I have learned since being on BB is one night you might sleep well then the next night you sleep terrible. The muscle jerks will abate over time. I used to have them every night when I was just falling asleep and they have improved, I think I only had one jerk this week.

I got about 8 hours of sleep last night and I noticed now I am sleeping till 7:45 AM. I am no longer waking up at 3:00 AM, now I'm waking up at 4:00 AM. I am able to fall back to sleep after I listen to my mediation oasis. I'm only 12 weeks off but sleep is so much better. Sleep is so powerful that it will return in time. Do you look at your clock? If I wake up I only look at my clock once and that's it.....

I'm about to attack my treadmill for the next 90 minutes. Good morning endorphins:)

Fran

Have a great workout, Fran...On what passes for a normal night, I avoid looking at the clock. On my worst nights, like last night, I have to keep taking breaks from trying to sleep, so I do see the clock...Thanks for all your support. Much appreciated...I also just joined the "twitchers" support group -- am I ever a wreck!

Shirah-did you download Mediation Oasis yet? I swear that it really works. It's a free application. I sleep with my iphone under my pillow. If I wake up I immediately put it on and I always fall back to sleep.

Fran

Believe it or not, I still don't have a smartphone. I know, I'm a real Luddite. But I use YouTube meditation clips. I find they help me relax, but not fall asleep, certainly not when enduring spasms...Now I'm off to my 1st CBT session.