Important Survey - Please Participate ×

~~The Bedridden Club~~

[...]

I think that doctors who practice medicine are wonderful people.  I wanted to be a doctor when I got older, but couldn't afford it.  They accurately diagnosed me every time I went to see them.  Also they are treating my hypothyroidism.  Doctors are extremely important here on this earth.  They save many many lives.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [lo...]

• [La...]

• [ra...]

• [Di...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that doctors who practice medicine are wonderful people.  I wanted to be a doctor when I got older, but couldn't afford it.  They accurately diagnosed me every time I went to see them.  Also they are treating my hypothyroidism.  Doctors are extremely important here on this earth.  They save many many lives.

Doctors are like anyone else on Earth. Some are kind and compassionate, while others could care less about anything but getting paid. Most though, at the very least want to help if it doesn't involve jumping through too many hoops.

Doctors are like anyone else on Earth. Some are kind and compassionate, while others could care less about anything but getting paid. Most though, at the very least want to help if it doesn't involve jumping through too many hoops.

I think you hit the nail on the head. I have been pushed off for being a too complicated case. My primary care doctor said straight out that I was complicated. I don't understand, is it only the easy problems that doctors work with? What is the point of being a doctor? I have found two compassionate doctors. One does not believe in withdrawal but believes my symptoms. The other is a holistic doctor who has had some patients in withdrawal but he can not do much but try different ways to eat. I have also meet those paycheck doctors, I find them awful.

I'm 61 and have been seeing docs my entire life and everyone of them has been excellent.  Every single one.

I wish I had your doctors. I am glad that they have been of such great help. I have no doubt that you have met good doctors and I am grateful.

I have a great deal of respect for them and put them on a pedestal.

I’m wondering though, what your opinion of doctors has to do with being bedridden? Maybe I missed something but people in this group are suffering horribly and all of the sudden you are like “I love doctors.”

Like I said, sorry if I missed something.

I’m not saying you haven’t had good experiences with doctors, but for the most part they tend to dismiss people with benzo problems as “crazy” or “anxious” and then give them more drugs that they usually don’t need instead of getting to the root of the problem. At least that’s how it is here in the US. I’m very happy your experiences with doctors have helped you. Trusting my doctors basically ruined my life and now I’ve been stuck in bed, unable to walk and in excruciating agony every second of every day and night. Hence me posting in the bedridden support group. God bless you and I’m happy you are benzo free for over 10 years, according to your signature. I hope and pray I can get to that point someday. 

Good morning! I agree with everyone here in that I don’t know how we would make it without God. I know this isn’t the spiritual thread but I’d like to add that he is the true physician! The other physical medical personnel here on Earth are just practicing medicine. That’s why it’s called that. God made these bodies so he knows how to fix them with just a simple word. This recovery is a battle for us but it’s nothing for him to tackle. He’s never lost a battle. He made our bodies fearfully and wonderfully for he knows it’s fleshly and will need repairs. So he made them with that ability to an extent. Zman, I know you’re scared. That’s ok to be. All of us was or is too. But, please do your best to not let that fear overtake you. It generates stress. Stress makes symptoms worse. Worse symptoms makes more stress. It’s a vicious cycle. In acute I had heart rate and blood pressure issues too. It’s a good thing that I was made aware of it occurring beforehand so I started meditating and breathing techniques. Sitting up on the side of the bed for about 15-20 minutes every hour or so will help raise your blood pressure. If your heart is racing turn on your left side in bed and began slow breathing in through the nose and with pushed lips out slowly through the mouth. 4 seconds in. 8 seconds out. Every 3rd breath…..hold it for 4 seconds before blowing out. This works very well for racing heart or panic/anxiety. It works because it taps into the parasympathetic mechanism and sends a signal to the brain to calm down. What you’re experiencing is common in tapering as well as acute. Although there are some coping tools that may help, time will be the thing needed to fix it. Coping tools is what is used to keep yourself as calm as possible to get through each day as comfortable as possible. I implemented certain tools depending on what was going on. Meditation with relaxing music of nature sounds was my favorite and most effective tool. A weighted blanket and something to cuddle ( other than your wife lol). I know most men don’t like the idea of cuddling a pillow or stuffed animal but you’re in the privacy of your own home so it’s worth a try. I found cuddling it gave me a sense of not being alone/safe/ being cared for. It’s the same feeling you get when holding a new baby. You ever know anybody holding a new baby angry or anxious? Nope  :thumbsup: The brain sees it’s a delicate new baby so it relaxes the body and you just smile adoring that little face.  :)  Cuddling my teddy bear did that for me. I pretended it was a baby. And it worked like a charm! So once I found what worked for me then I combined them to get through each day.

Also I’m sorry to hear that your wife seems indifferent at times. Unfortunately that happens to mostly everyone with family members. I’m not condoning any of our family or friends when I say that I think we should keep in mind that this isn’t their experience so they have no idea of what it’s like. We barely can explain it ourselves. BUT no matter if they understand it or not, their job as a loved one is to be supportive. In normal cases when someone goes through an illness, it’s over in a certain timeframe. A cold is over in a couple of weeks. A sprained wrist a couple of months, etc. This in most cases is a very debilitating slow and much longer process of healing. Our friends and family are painfully watching us become a shell of who they’ve always known us to be. They are scared and don’t know what to do. We don’t know what to do either. What they don’t understand is we need them during this journey more than ever! I also made a few trips to the ER. Looking back now, I wish I never would have. After a couple of trips they classify you as crazy and don’t do anything to help. Sadly they can make things worse because they don’t have a clue about benzo WD. So I made a decision to avoid the ER especially after they nearly killed me giving me a strong psych med when I had NO history of psychiatric illness. By the grace of God, the allergic reaction was immediately addressed. My GP told me I was lucky! But I knew it wasn’t luck at all. God stepped in. Right now you’re still tapering so your body is reacting wildly. It sucks but it’s normal. It’s trying to function with reduced doses. I’m sorry I made this so long but I wanted to make a few points that I hope would help you. You have my support….all of you. Right now our only job is to get through today. If all you can do is breathe then just do that. It will be alright because God’s with us. He isn’t called Comforter and El Shaddai for nothing! Keep looking to him.

LD, thank you for spreading love and hope.  Your message to Zman is encouraging to me too and probably to many others as well.

You’re so welcome dear. I’m glad it helped you. It even helps me to stay reminded that this too shall pass.

Thank you Ladyden that was so awesome.  May God bless you.  ❤😇

Love to you and you are most welcome sweetheart 🌹♥️🤗 how are you doing?

I had a panic attack the other day that came with allover body pain, first time for that. My bp is also low, my vision is very awful and is always accompanied by derealization. Burning in the thighs and arms, stomach is a mess, back is stiff, ribs hurt, feel like im freezing and then sweats at night. Temp stays low all the time. I just am wondering even if this is still withdrawl as I know is a common theme. I am sad.

Fox I’m sad to report that it most likely is WD. Especially seeing that you have other symptoms as well. All the ones you named are common typical symptoms. It’s also common to think it’s not WD. But several doctor visits and tests later, it proves it is WD. It’s a crazy wild roller coaster ride. Many ups and down loops and turns symptoms being bad then better all going through cycles. But don’t lose sight of your finish line ribbon 🎀 Keep your focus on it because it is crossable if you just wait it out. I wake up every day with a plan full of distractions. It has proven to be a blessing to get from one hour to the next. I’m 20 months now. I still have a few symptoms left. They’re pretty much the ones that’s been with me through this whole recovery. But they are less intense as time takes it’s victory stance. More time passes, the more we heal. I take comfort in that. Hope you start having better days.

I’m wondering though, what your opinion of doctors has to do with being bedridden? Maybe I missed something but people in this group are suffering horribly and all of the sudden you are like “I love doctors.”

I’m not saying you haven’t had good experiences with doctors, but for the most part they tend to dismiss people with benzo problems as “crazy” or “anxious” and then give them more drugs that they usually don’t need instead of getting to the root of the problem. At least that’s how it is here in the US. I’m very happy your experiences with doctors have helped you. Trusting my doctors basically ruined my life and now I’ve been stuck in bed, unable to walk and in excruciating agony every second of every day and night. Hence me posting in the bedridden support group. God bless you and I’m happy you are benzo free for over 10 years, according to your signature. I hope and pray I can get to that point someday.

I totally agree with you Zman. Amen! Most of them are helpful in other medical issues. But when it comes to WD, they don’t have a clue and most are pissed off that you’ve brought them a problem they can’t do anything about. So they pretend to be helpful by offering you other medications ( usually benzos and Ads). If you refuse their treatment then you are tagged as crazy. The main reason they entertain people like us because they see dollar signs. This test that exam this scan this bloodwork etc.

I trusted a doctor that I thought had my best interest at heart and im bedridden for nearly 3 years because of it. The next doctor upped my dose as I developed symptoms. I was in tolerance and didn’t know it…apparently they pretended to not know. The next doctor told me “ oh it’s the Ambien. So it’s safe enough to just stop cold turkey.” It’s a huge blessing that I had already stumbled on BBs to know not to listen to CT. I got so bad tapering that my heart almost stopped while in her office. She called me an ambulance immediately! When paramedics arrived she suddenly said to them “ For the record, I wasn’t the original doctor that gave her the Ambien. I’d like that noted and that I’m just trying to help her get off.” I was flabbergasted! The whole time she pretended not to know this happened to patients. I’m telling you there’s no way these doctors don’t know this is being done. You mean to tell me that out of 1000’s of patients, not one is having any problems on these drugs? Bull butter! You see, if they acknowledge this, then their pockets will significantly change. They know! Their oath is first to do no harm. They’ve forgotten that. If They get patients dependent on medications then don’t they have to come back for more???  I don’t know what planet those doctors Becks is referring to is on but here on Earth I haven’t seen any that knows what to do about this. Some of them don’t even know about it enough to recognize it when a patient comes to them. Let alone what to do.

The reason I posted about docs on this bedridden thread is because someone mentioned first how docs don't really have a clue about benzo w/d and how they've been harmed by docs or brushed aside. I had a benzo-wise doc when I first got off the pills who told me why I was shaking so badly when I was in his office for a checkup.  I had no clue it was from the benzo's and Z-drugs.  He was a great doc for letting me know.  I loved him a great deal.  He told me that he never prescribes benzo's to any of his patients and also told me that the shrink who prescribed the benzo's to me for all those years should have his licensed revoked.  I also went to a doc last January and I told her that I've been a mess since I got off the benzo's and she looked at me with alot of concern and listened intently to what I had said.  She did not make me feel like I was insane or crazy; she was definitely interested in what I was saying.  I also have refused to take an AD or get counseling like they wanted me to and they never made me feel bad about that ever.  Ok, so I posted this on The Bedridden thread.  No big deal that it went a bit off topic.  The discussion veered to this issue about docs and I'm just defending them.  My BIL was a brilliant surgeon.  I am defending docs because they are wonderful and fabulous people.  I don't even believe that any docs are in it just for the money either and if they hurt someone, they certainly don't do it intentionally.  Those who would intentionally hurt people or just try to make money off them are a very very small minority.  And if a doc tells someone that they are difficult and drops them as a patient, it's probably because that patient won't listen to them or take their advice, so how can they help them?  I always listen to what an MD or DO has to say always and they never make me feel bad when I refuse their advice, etc. They have 12 years of medical training and no one gets through medical school who isn't extremely bright and intelligent.  I had a gf in high school who is a doc now and has been for decades.  All the doc blaming and bashing and untruths about them on this forum makes me angry.   

I’m extremely Glad you had a good experience with your doctors. For the majority of us though, it seems your experiences are a rare blessing. God bless you and I hope your healing continues. Always praying for us all.

How can you blame a doc if YOU have a bad reaction to a medication?  How would he know that you'd have a bad reaction?  He was only trying to help you.  It's not your fault that you're not able to metabolize a drug that most people can.  I don't even blame the shrink who gave me the benzo's all those years.  He had his blinders on, and I was the one who was naive for not researching how harmful benzo's are first.  All my family members and friends I've ever talked to said that they've had nothing but great experiences with docs too.  This is NOT a RARE blessing.  People who have bad experiences with doctors are a very small minority.  I was a Medical Data Abstractor for years and read thousands of medical charts and all the docs did a great job trying to help their patients.  The overwhelming majority of docs get into the medical field to help heal people. 

How can you blame a doc if YOU have a bad reaction to a medication?  How would he know that you'd have a bad reaction?  He was only trying to help you.  It's not your fault that you're not able to metabolize a drug that most people can.  I don't even blame the shrink who gave me the benzo's all those years.  He had his blinders on, and I was the one who was naive for not researching how harmful benzo's are first.  All my family members and friends I've ever talked to said that they've had nothing but great experiences with docs too.  This is NOT a RARE blessing.  People who have bad experiences with doctors are a very small minority.  I was a Medical Data Abstractor for years and read thousands of medical charts and all the docs did a great job trying to help their patients.  The overwhelming majority of docs get into the medical field to help heal people.

I said FOR THE MAJORITY OF US IT SEEMS like this is a rare blessing. Go on praising doctors all you want, it really has no relevance to this particular support group. You’re also speaking out of your depth when you write about me not being able to metabolize this or that. Your statements seem to contradict each other, but thats ok. You are ten years off benzos and still having trouble so your doctors mustn't be so amazing and worthy of that pedestal after all. I’m ending my participation in this “doctor discussion” because everyone’s experiences are unique and to assume that its the same for everyone is just wrong in my eyes. I won’t participate in, nor debate a topic irrelevant to this section of the forum. Still wishing you healing… Good day and God bless.

Zman, stop criticizing me on this thread.  I wasn't addressing you personally at all. I wasn't talking about you not being able to metabolize any meds.  BTW, I'm not 10 years off, just over 9.  And stop getting on my case because I'm off-topic.  You and other people on this thread are also off topic.  And I don't blame my docs for my damage from the benzo's and Z-drugs.  Yes, they are still amazing-they were trying to help me.  I just don't like to keep hearing people bashing and blaming docs so much on this forum.  It makes me furious.  Docs try to help people and then they just bash and blame them. This is not an anti-doc site and no one should be making general anti-doc statements which is what's been going on here.  What would happen if docs didn't follow protocol?   

I totally agree with you Zman. Amen! Most of them are helpful in other medical issues. But when it comes to WD, they don’t have a clue and most are pissed off that you’ve brought them a problem they can’t do anything about. So they pretend to be helpful by offering you other medications ( usually benzos and Ads). If you refuse their treatment then you are tagged as crazy. The main reason they entertain people like us because they see dollar signs. This test that exam this scan this bloodwork etc.

I trusted a doctor that I thought had my best interest at heart and im bedridden for nearly 3 years because of it. The next doctor upped my dose as I developed symptoms. I was in tolerance and didn’t know it…apparently they pretended to not know. The next doctor told me “ oh it’s the Ambien. So it’s safe enough to just stop cold turkey.” It’s a huge blessing that I had already stumbled on BBs to know not to listen to CT. I got so bad tapering that my heart almost stopped while in her office. She called me an ambulance immediately! When paramedics arrived she suddenly said to them “ For the record, I wasn’t the original doctor that gave her the Ambien. I’d like that noted and that I’m just trying to help her get off.” I was flabbergasted! The whole time she pretended not to know this happened to patients. I’m telling you there’s no way these doctors don’t know this is being done. You mean to tell me that out of 1000’s of patients, not one is having any problems on these drugs? Bull butter! You see, if they acknowledge this, then their pockets will significantly change. They know! Their oath is first to do no harm. They’ve forgotten that. If They get patients dependent on medications then don’t they have to come back for more???  I don’t know what planet those doctors Becks is referring to is on but here on Earth I haven’t seen any that knows what to do about this. Some of them don’t even know about it enough to recognize it when a patient comes to them. Let alone what to do.

How are you feeling today LadyDen?

Good morning everyone. Zman I’m doing fine. I can’t complain because somebody somewhere is worse than me. I hope you’re feeling better or at least more stable? What did you do this weekend? I cooked a bit and watched movies. I also did some walking in my windows. Not much yesterday because it rained all day. But I did walk my apartment breezeway to keep my momentum going. Every little bit adds up.

I read the posts about doctors….honestly IMO it’s wise not to get into tensed exchanging between others on here. All of us have enough stress as it is. I agree that everyone has a right to their opinion but facts are facts. Furthermore this is a bedridden thread as you said, Zman. I believe that the focus should stay on that…as you said. Being bedridden against our will is so very tough. I’m starting to get “urges” to want to go places but I know I can’t right now. It’s too soon. But the urges are a good sign. I did notice that different symptoms are the culprits of making people bedridden. Mine is boatiness and pulling sensation. I’m so happy to report that both of them are much better especially the pulling sensation. My boatiness seems to have a mind of its own. I’m like drunk Captain Jack Sparrow atleast once a day. The other times I’m just on a boat….sometimes the rocking is intense and sometimes barely there. So atleast my brain is working on it. It shows that it’s getting it right off and on. That’s what I’m extremely happy to see! We just have to keep waiting this out. Let time prove to us that he’s our best friend in healing us. As we wait, we’ve got to distract around the clock.  :thumbsup: I hope you’ve gathered some great coping skills.

Dianne, Sage, Stitch, Fox how are you doing? How was your weekends?

Zman, stop criticizing me on this thread.  I wasn't addressing you personally at all. I wasn't talking about you not being able to metabolize any meds.  BTW, I'm not 10 years off, just over 9.  And stop getting on my case because I'm off-topic.  You and other people on this thread are also off topic.  And I don't blame my docs for my damage from the benzo's and Z-drugs.  Yes, they are still amazing-they were trying to help me.  I just don't like to keep hearing people bashing and blaming docs so much on this forum.  It makes me furious.  Docs try to help people and then they just bash and blame them. This is not an anti-doc site and no one should be making general anti-doc statements which is what's been going on here.  What would happen if docs didn't follow protocol? 

Becksblue is right, we have a policy regarding anti-doctor comments, but if you'll read the additional policy statement you'll see that we will allow members to discuss their personal experiences.  This forum needs to be a safe place to discuss how we feel and that includes discussing your treatment. 

Whilst some of our members report negative experiences with doctors, psychiatrists, or the wider medical profession, and although we do not wish to outlaw comments about how members feel let down or mistreated in their personal medical care, you are not permitted to use this community as a platform to spread general anti-doctor, anti-psychiatry and/or anti-health care professional propaganda.  Nor should you name those involved in your healthcare.  For more about this policy, please read our Anti-doctor, Anti-psychiatrist and Anti-medicine Comments notice.

Becksblue, while I understand your wish to defend the treatment you've received, it isn't your job to defend the entire medical community just like it's not other members job to denigrate them. 

Pamster, I certainly meant no drama with becksblue by disagreeing with her, all I was trying to convey was that my case has been mishandled multiple times by doctors and its put me in a really bad spot. I cant speak for all doctors in general, just the ones I have dealt with in my area. And even congratulated her on finding doctors who are attentive and helpful. I just found the topic to be completely irrelevant to this support group and possibly disparaging to some of the people in it. I’m in no way meaning to be argumentative with her and I’m sorry to all if it was perceived that way. God bless you all with peace and love and tranquility today as we heal.

Pamster, I certainly meant no drama with becksbkue by disagreeing with her, all I was trying to convey was that my case has been mishandled multiple times by doctors and its put me in a really bad spot. I cant speak for all doctors in general, just the ones I have dealt with in my area. And even congratulated her on finding doctors who are attentive and helpful. I just found the topic to be completely irrelevant to this support group and the people in it. I’m in no way meaning to be argumentative with her and I’m sorry if it was perceived that way.

No worries Zman, you've disagreed but done so respectfully and you have the freedom to discuss your treatment.  :thumbsup:

I'm certainly done posting on this thread because I'm not bedridden and never was.  I originally posted on here one time because I wanted to say that I wish I could sleep all day long, but I can't, because I live alone and have alot of responsibilities to take care of every day.  I just want to say that I love docs!  And that's my last word. 

I'm certainly done posting on this thread because I'm not bedridden and never was.  I originally posted on here one time because I wanted to say that I wish I could sleep all day long, but I can't, because I live alone and have alot of responsibilities to take care of every day.  I just want to say that I love docs!  And that's my last word.

People who are bedridden do not “sleep all day”, -if- (and I’m just saying “if”) that’s what you think, then you’re unfortunately mistaken. Many of us can’t sleep or rarely sleep at all. People become bedridden for lots of different reasons, including pain and the inability to walk. The sad thing is, we also have a lot of responsibilities too, that don’t get the proper amount of attention that we would be able to give them if we were 100% mobile and able to be active. Luckily I have some help but others do not. I’m glad you are in good enough shape to take care of the things you need to take care of… a lot of us don’t realize how much of a blessing the ability to do even the simplest things is, until that ability is gone or hindered. I’m experiencing this firsthand, and it hits hard. Becksblue, I was reading your blog earlier and I wanted to day Im sorry to hear that your pet passed away. Animals can be like family members, so I understand your loss. God bless you and I hope your pain passes in time. Peace.

zman,  don't talk to me like I'm stupid because I'm not.  I know what bedridden means.  Please leave me alone with your arguing and passive aggressive behavior towards me.  I never singled you out and said anything derogatory towards you ever.

I'm certainly done posting on this thread because I'm not bedridden and never was. I originally posted on here one time because I wanted to say that I wish I could sleep all day long, but I can't, because I live alone and have alot of responsibilities to take care of every day.  I just want to say that I love docs!  And that's my last word.

zman,  that's not what I was saying at all; I just made a harmless statement.  Stop trying to debate with me and leave me alone with your passive aggressive behavior towards me.  I never tried to argue with you at all, and you are always on my case and I'm tired of your anger towards me.     

I wasn't going to comment Becksblue because you said this was your last word but now that you've come back for another last word I'm going to.  Your statement was not harmless, it was incredibly demeaning and ill informed.  No, you weren't directing it to any particular member but your ignorance of the devastation that being bedridden does to the lives of these people is shocking.  I hope you've truly said your last word on this thread because it's obvious you don't understand the nightmare these good people are living through.

Pamster