Z-Drug Support Group (Lunesta, Imovane, Zimovane, Ambien, Sonata, Zopiclone)

[Wo...]

Wow Kachina you sound like you are doing great!  I am sorry you suffered so much before your taper but so happy that your jump off the meds was the start of a whole new life for you!  You go girl!!!

I have heard that our wheat is GMO and has much more gluten than decades ago.  I am now staying away from any of it, but when I do try it again I'll try imported stuff.  Thanks for that idea!  I am currently researching the best way to optimize my microbiome, hoping that gives me a boost in my healing.  I am very tired of this lingering nerve pain  :tickedoff:

Glad you love the Curable app so much!  Did you hear that the medical ppl who work at Curable did a study with Harvard and demonstrated that the program and methods used at Curable were superior to standard of care for back pain like PT and/or steroid injections.  Alan Gordon wrote a book about it, now called Pain Reprocessing Therapy (PRT) and his book is titled "The Way Out"...I might buy it!

I so want to try IF again.  I did it 3 years ago and I lost 10 lbs - and felt great.  I tried it again about a month ago but found that my blood sugar isn't stable enough to go 12 hours without food.  I thought maybe the attempt triggered my last wave, but maybe I'll give it another go sans gluten.

Hang in there Z-sters!

Deanna,

Thank you so much!!!

I'd like to get his book too, I really enjoy listening to him and his BFF on the app. YOU got me onto curable, forever grateful!! Did not hear about the Harvard study but am interested!

Oh, and you did IF. What are the things that make your blood sugar not stable? I actually wonder if the nights, like this one, when I wake at 3 or 4am, it's my blood sugar as read that can cause you to wake up in the middle of the night. Most recent 2 days it happened I had eaten sugar during the day. But it is healing to fast and can be a part of managing your blood sugar! Intricate human beings ... so sensitive and I am too. It can be very tiring dealing with a zillion factors can't it? Microbiome is another good one!

Yes Kachina, I think blood sugar issues can def wake you during the night, or at least prevent you from falling back.

I have consistently had issues where if I'm hungry (i.e., more than 3 hours since last meal) I tend to get an uptick in symptoms.  Low blood sugar is a perceived stress by the body so I'm guessing this makes sense.  I have had instances when I couldn't eat when I typically do and have done OK in the moment, but somehow it comes back to bite me the next day.  So I tend to eat to prevent these occurrences and no surprise I've gained weight  :tickedoff:

When I awake in the night and feel hungry I take a few long gulps of the Ensure max protein which helps me def fall back to sleep with minimal calories.  And I def notice if I have a sugary treat at night that I'm more hungry.  I totally agree that IF is supposed to help us metabolically, and I like the idea to give my body the metabolic rest at night to support repair at the cellular level.  I'll keep attempting it here and there. 

My biggest roadblock is that for a kazillion years I have enjoyed a nightime cup of tea (alas,used to be camomile) and a little crumpet of some sort.  It is a soothing habit, and now even that is not working in favor of my healing.

This recovery is maddening!!!!

Hey Team Z! ( blowing all of you buddie kisses)  :-*

Yes Kachina they get paid by pharmaceutical companies to write prescriptions for the pills they manufacture. Wow you didn’t know this. Doctors and pharmacy industry work together. The $2000 was an example amount. But don’t be surprised if it’s in the right ballpark. Did you follow what I explained? You see how much money that is? Now you tell me this…would a doctor start tapering millions of his patients off the medications he’s got them dependent on? If he did that it’s a domino effect. Less doctor visits…right? Less prescriptions…right? Less word of mouth to refer others….right? Most importantly WAYYYYY less money.

Guess what my doctor did recently? She dumped ( FIRED!!!) ALL of her patients who wouldn’t pay &2000 for her stupid program. Unless you join her program she dismissed you as her patient. Regardless if you could afford it or not! They’re all about the money. Now as sick as I am, I have to find another doctor. She’s one of MANY doctors that are doing this. Especially since the pandemic hit their pockets so hard. I guess to hell with all of her patients well being. Absolutely diabolical!

Deanna I also have my sugar drop throughout the day. That’s why I sip on sprite ( caffeine free) all day. This is definitely effects of WD. It’s hard because my appetite leaves so I can’t eat. I’m forced to drink more sprite. But when it returns I cut back. I’m sure all of our vitamin levels are low but if we take supplements more than likely it will cause setbacks and definitely rev up waves. So we’re in a tough spot. That’s why it’s best to get as much vitamins naturally through our food…fresh veggies and natural sunlight. Even people in recovery have sun sensitivity. Lol so it’s like what the heck do we do!!!??  You said it perfectly, it’s maddening!

Haha, I am here LadyDen....Just feeling poorly these last few weeks :-(  Trying to figure it out, why why why.  I had such a good September.  Maybe it is the kitten fostering but I'm not convinced....just the maddening non-linear progress (or not).

Feeling new odd sensations:  Heaviness in both legs...a feeling of utter zoned-out-ness...a bit more weird than cog fog, and not quite DR or DP.  Pain everywhere, comes and goes.  Been sleeping pretty well though.  Go figure.

Hugs Deanna and everyone. Hey Deanna I think this is strange as well that I’ve slept pretty well since my taper up until now. It’s proven fact that the body heals while asleep so why am I not healed?  :laugh: I mean I’m not any better than those who have insomnia. In some instances I’m worse off then them. I average about 6-7 hours of sleep per night. So I’m guessing that in the case of our recovery the sleep or not sleeping doesn’t matter. It’s going to do what it does regardless. If this is true, then wouldn’t it work the same way for our diets? Just thinking out loud here….dr Ashton and other benzo experts said that when it comes to our diets that we shouldn’t make a fuss or be too cautious because the body needs a variety of vitamins, minerals, carbs, fats and proteins to heal. She said but if it’s something you consumed that seems to cause an uptick then just eliminate it until you’re further along in your healing. Then slowly introduce it back. I’ve read post after post that we heal no matter if we do or don’t do something. What do you guys think?

Gosh I hardly know what to think anymore....I ponder and ponder this whole mess and I actually feel worse this month than last month.  Really how is that possible this far along?  The only thing I can think of is that the damage is far more extensive than what the experts postulate.  Maybe not just our receptors but other biochemical processes are also impacted.  I've researched and thought and researched some more and it makes sense to me that our gene expression has been so altered that it takes forever to have things get back to where they were (mostly)...And then some others have no issues at all.  We are all individual so each person's damage is unique. 

I eat much healthier than ever before, am gluten free, sleep better than I had in a decade, so my body should be healthier.  But I feel like absolute crap almost every day.  Then I thought that maybe the damage isn't that bad, just that my perception of how I feel is worse than the damage.  Then it becomes mental.  Then we become fixated on how we feel and it just perpetuates.  I wish I could just ignore the sensations, but I've always been the type to notice bodily sensations :-(

Deanna to answer your question I have no idea how it’s possible for us to get worse. It makes no sense. My 15th month has been my worse month so far. I’m dumbfounded as well how this is even possible. I’ve read many posts on here that talks about feeling worse before healing. So hopefully this will be the case for us too. Yes each person is uniquely affected for sure. I agree. And even if two people are affected the same area, one might be hit harder in that area than the other. Absolutely crazy. I also eat healthier, sleep better etc but it doesn’t seem to matter much.

I can see how you would think the damage may not be that bad but it might be a mental perception that it is BUT in my opinion if that’s the case then we would be able to just say oh it’s not that bad and do whatever. I certainly wouldn’t be in this bed. I know it is the damage. And because it’s bad I feel it. Our brains are trying to compensate or get it right so because it can’t then we feel bad. This unfortunately will happen until the healing is completed. That brings me to the question of do we heal or is it massive compensation? Kind of the same question you have….did our medications change our brains forever. Not meaning that it doesn’t fix it to function normally again but is that fixing a lot of rewiring to function as before the medications? I guess we will never know these answers. And I don’t have to. I just want my life back as a normal functioning human being that can bend down to pick up something or drive or whatever without these debilitating symptoms. That’s all I want.

You are so right Lady D, there are moments or portions of the day where I feel absolutely normal and in retrospect I realize now that in those moments I actually can forget all about this mess and just LIVE LIFE.  So that is the goal then, to just get to where we are feeling that way most of the time.

Interesting thought about healing vs neuroplastic compensation.  Who knows.  If it is the latter, then we would have definite brain injury, and that is a sad thing indeed.

I've not seen those posts where ppl say they felt worse just before final healing.  Where should I look for those?

Thanks!!

If you type in the search bar top right corner worse before healing it should show you all the posts on that subject. I’ve read all of them. Unbelievable

Yes Kachina, I think blood sugar issues can def wake you during the night, or at least prevent you from falling back.

I have consistently had issues where if I'm hungry (i.e., more than 3 hours since last meal) I tend to get an uptick in symptoms.  Low blood sugar is a perceived stress by the body so I'm guessing this makes sense.  I have had instances when I couldn't eat when I typically do and have done OK in the moment, but somehow it comes back to bite me the next day.  So I tend to eat to prevent these occurrences and no surprise I've gained weight  :tickedoff:

When I awake in the night and feel hungry I take a few long gulps of the Ensure max protein which helps me def fall back to sleep with minimal calories.  And I def notice if I have a sugary treat at night that I'm more hungry.  I totally agree that IF is supposed to help us metabolically, and I like the idea to give my body the metabolic rest at night to support repair at the cellular level.  I'll keep attempting it here and there. 

My biggest roadblock is that for a kazillion years I have enjoyed a nightime cup of tea (alas,used to be camomile) and a little crumpet of some sort.  It is a soothing habit, and now even that is not working in favor of my healing.

This recovery is maddening!!!!

Good point, low blood sugar perceived as stress, I get it! I did get worse fibromyalgia with blood sugar issues I remember. Ahhhh food, another topic!

Hey Team Z! ( blowing all of you buddie kisses)  :-*

Yes Kachina they get paid by pharmaceutical companies to write prescriptions for the pills they manufacture. Wow you didn’t know this. Doctors and pharmacy industry work together. The $2000 was an example amount. But don’t be surprised if it’s in the right ballpark. Did you follow what I explained? You see how much money that is? Now you tell me this…would a doctor start tapering millions of his patients off the medications he’s got them dependent on? If he did that it’s a domino effect. Less doctor visits…right? Less prescriptions…right? Less word of mouth to refer others….right? Most importantly WAYYYYY less money.

Guess what my doctor did recently? She dumped ( FIRED!!!) ALL of her patients who wouldn’t pay &2000 for her stupid program. Unless you join her program she dismissed you as her patient. Regardless if you could afford it or not! They’re all about the money. Now as sick as I am, I have to find another doctor. She’s one of MANY doctors that are doing this. Especially since the pandemic hit their pockets so hard. I guess to hell with all of her patients well being. Absolutely diabolical!

Deanna I also have my sugar drop throughout the day. That’s why I sip on sprite ( caffeine free) all day. This is definitely effects of WD. It’s hard because my appetite leaves so I can’t eat. I’m forced to drink more sprite. But when it returns I cut back. I’m sure all of our vitamin levels are low but if we take supplements more than likely it will cause setbacks and definitely rev up waves. So we’re in a tough spot. That’s why it’s best to get as much vitamins naturally through our food…fresh veggies and natural sunlight. Even people in recovery have sun sensitivity. Lol so it’s like what the heck do we do!!!??  You said it perfectly, it’s maddening!

Wow!!! Yeah, I had no clue. That is SO WRONG. But don't get me started. I'm done with those docs and their meds!!!

Haha, I am here LadyDen....Just feeling poorly these last few weeks :-(  Trying to figure it out, why why why.  I had such a good September.  Maybe it is the kitten fostering but I'm not convinced....just the maddening non-linear progress (or not).

Feeling new odd sensations:  Heaviness in both legs...a feeling of utter zoned-out-ness...a bit more weird than cog fog, and not quite DR or DP.  Pain everywhere, comes and goes.  Been sleeping pretty well though.  Go figure.

Sorry you're not feeling well and in face worse .... less daylight? less sun/warmth? I think cold and dark are stresses on the body too! Perhaps you're tired out from all the gardening and doing more over summer. hugs!

Hugs Kachina! How are you doing deary? Our diets is a whole other long subject. Lol one day I can eat something then the next week I can’t. Crazy!

How’s everyone doing today? Happy Saturday to you all. Any plans? What are y’all doing for Halloween?

Me? I’m doing nothing. Lol Last year I was able to dress as Cleopatra and hand out candy but not this year. So I figured I would watch a movie…not a scary one. Until my daughter comes back from trick or treating with her friends. I thought for sure I’d be doing wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better than I am by this time.  :-\ Well hopefully by Thanksgiving I will be back on my feet most of the day. I certainly hope so by Xmas.

Ah the holidays...no stress there LOL!

And my husband and I are hosting both Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve.  I have to take a deep breath when I think about it.  It will be a chance for me to practice not being a perfectionist. Who has energy for THAT anymore?

Happy Halloween everybody!  Don't eat to much candy  :smitten:

Ha Zz- ers,

I have been foolish last night, took some extra zopiclon, because I couldn’t sleep. I think sleeping was difficult because of the change to wintertime, and so my father and I were having dinner much later as normal. So now I am feeling much worse than normal. Luckily the sun is shining here. Have a nice day!  :thumbsup: Jerry

Nice to hear from you Deanna and Jerry.

Deanna I’m also just not thinking about the upcoming holidays. I’ll cross that bridge when I get there. This will be a very difficult and different holidays ( thanksgiving and Xmas) for me because of my new marital status. But I’m going to make the best of it and keep moving forward. It is what it is.

Jerry I know you’re enjoying your dad. Family is important to make loving memories. As far as you updosing, I’m not judging you. I’ve already gave my opinion that I think you’d feel much better if you go ahead and get off it. But it’s your body your choice and it’s not like you don’t already know this. I understand that when it’s really rough sometimes you have to do what you think you need to do. You’ve been wrestling with your Z-drug a longggggggggg time. When you’re ready, I know you’ll push through and reduce.  :thumbsup:

I hope everyone is doing well today. Remember to take good care of yourselves. That’s what I’m doing as best as I can.

Ohhhh I must give a shout out to my New Orleans Saints last night on their epic win! Go Saints!!!

Nice to hear from you Deanna and Jerry.

Deanna I’m also just not thinking about the upcoming holidays. I’ll cross that bridge when I get there. This will be a very difficult and different holidays ( thanksgiving and Xmas) for me because of my new marital status. But I’m going to make the best of it and keep moving forward. It is what it is.

Jerry I know you’re enjoying your dad. Family is important to make loving memories. As far as you updosing, I’m not judging you. I’ve already gave my opinion that I think you’d feel much better if you go ahead and get off it. But it’s your body your choice and it’s not like you don’t already know this. I understand that when it’s really rough sometimes you have to do what you think you need to do. You’ve been wrestling with your Z-drug a longggggggggg time. When you’re ready, I know you’ll push through and reduce.  :thumbsup:

I hope everyone is doing well today. Remember to take good care of yourselves. That’s what I’m doing as best as I can.

Ohhhh I must give a shout out to my New Orleans Saints last night on their epic win! Go Saints!!!

I am planning to reduce soon, just had bad luck last night. A combination of wintertime and a late meal.

Thanks for your thoughts! Jerry

Hope today is going well so far Team Z. Thinking of you all. Wondering where everyone is?

Hang in there Jerry my friend. You know we got your back.  :thumbsup: Oh and better cut back on those late meals . Lol

It’s November everyone! Wow this year has gone by fast. We might still be feeling funky but we did heal quite a bit. I’m proud of us. Remember that time falls back one hour this Sunday. Just a friendly reminder. I’d hate to see any of you going to work an hour early lol 😂 today I’m just passing time distracting myself. I’m doing ok. Slowly improving. I’m able to walk around in the evening without my walker when I’m in a window. So I’m just going with the flow.

Hugs and love to you all.

Hi Team Z...I got my booster dose of Covid19 vaccine this morning.  Just sitting around and waiting to feel crappy for a few days, so far just a little tired.

I know it's weird, but this will be the 3rd vaccine I've received while in withdrawal (2 Covid vaccines and a flu shot) and I've noted that while I'm feeling a little sick from the vaccine all my other symptoms seem to fade.

We'll see in the next few days.

Deanna,

It's funny you say that because I got the J&J shot back in the spring and I felt oddly really good for a couple of days. I wonder if it jars our systems or something like a reset.  Hmmmm.  Hope you don't have a problem with it.  You might not! 

Thanks guys!

Yes I was thinking the same thing Helen, like maybe the activation of the immune system somehow prompts healing!

I hope so!!

I'll keep you posted  :smitten:

Well I woke at 2:30 am with chills and body aches, but no headache, and I'm doing better this time around than first shot.  Had J and J first shot and opted for Pfizer for the booster.  I will rest up today for sure, minor headache now.  Hope the kitten lets me rest LOL!

Then I'll report back later in the week on my progress  :smitten: