Z-Drug Support Group (Lunesta, Imovane, Zimovane, Ambien, Sonata, Zopiclone)

[Wo...]

Ha Lady Den and all the other Z-ers,

At the moment I am not really in playing mood. But I know this mood will return soon. I am almost finished with my brand switch. Today I went out, to my fysio and also to get medication for me and my cat. before that I went swimming. I am now at my fathers place for a meal. Huggggs, Jerry

Hello Team Z!!!

Jerry, great to hear from you, glad you're swimming and the switch in med is almost done. I wish you a happy Autumn, and by happy I mean that you feel good and feel joy sometimes, right?! Hugs!

LadyDen, how are you doing now? Funny that your symptoms in response to smells and noise are symptoms I had for years while on ambien. It's a huge relief that they're gone now. I'm sensitive by nature but that was wild. YOU WILL HEAL, I'm absolutely certain of it! As for me, I've been having foot cramps and calf cramps for months and wonder if it's related to my body reconfiguring after my taper. I take plenty of magnesium. Who knows!

Deanna, do you still use the curable app? I did a group so have a lifetime membership but don't listen as often as I'm doing so much better. But, when I get some aches and pains my mind goes to reviewing what stressors I'm having at the time and I tell my brain we are safe and this will pass. I do not mean to sound trite for those who suffer w/d symtptoms as severe as some do. I don't think curable would have worked for me if I didn't pair it with my taper.

Helen, glad you are well!

Is everyone here a lover of Fall?!! I am not, lol. But I see the appeal.

OH!! News Bulletin:  I gave up coffee and switched to green tea. I am sleeping better. Bad time, speaking of cozy fall days, to give up that yummy drink but without sugar it's not all that anyway IMHO. I also got a new bed and that was scary after 16 yrs in the same one that was quite different than this one. I wasn't sure how I'd do, first I give up ambien and then my bed ha ha. Whew, it's mostly okay.

Where are all the ambien users ready to taper or those just finishing?? Is there ambien talk somewhere else on this site? I'm surprised people aren't here in droves wanting to get off that posion. I HATE that I gave so much of my life to that med.

John Hunter how are you managing since you stopped, how long has it been?

Twbd1ila, how's it going ... it's been a long time since you checked in. Hope you are either holding at 2.5 or tapering more--whichever is keeping you most successful. I see I held for a whole month last February when I had some major stress. Of course often times working full time IS a major stress and that's a big part of this darned problem of disturbed sleep.

Breathe, destress, laugh, scroll your phone and watch FUNNY stuff---best medicine, right? Take frequent breaks from your computer ... get off that blue light in the evening ... unwind. I take a hot bath 1 or 2 hours before bed and that helps me unwind.

:idiot::smitten::idiot::smitten::tickedoff::thumbsup::crazy:

Hey Team Z! How’s your day going so far. It’s morning here so I’m in a wave.

Kachina I had the muscle spasms too before I tapered. Very smart you gave up coffee. You could use decaf if you miss it. Glad you’re doing pretty well. Thanks for your encouragement that I’ll get better. I’m doing slightly better just slightly. I’m grateful. I’m just distracting on Netflix. Slow breathing etc.

good to hear from you jerry.

Where’s everyone???

Hi buddies. At the end of a 9-10 months taper (my signature should be updated), having found no good alternative for sleeping, I ended up trying zolpidem 8-10mg (together with trazodone). I'm totally unable to sleep by my own, even napping. Initially it gave me some relief and a good sleep until it stopped working. One night I tried zolpidem with alprazolam, and the night after I updose to 18mg.

Now I have hellish symptoms, so strong that I often would prefer to die. Anxiety went out of control and I started experiencing akathisia style symptoms: unable to sit, to stand still, nausea, brainfog, palpitations.  Today I had to take 0.5 klonopine to bring it under control. I suspected quetiapine (I took as a sleep aid). My doc says more likely it's zolpidem, due to its short half life and given the positive response to clonazepam.

I took zolpidem just 1 month (after a long benzo history). Is it possible? Anyone here experienced this anxiety / akathisia style symptoms taking zolpidem? Could an AD treatment discussed with a doctor to give some help?

KachinaBirdsong did you regain sleep after 20y of use?

Hugs everyone! Hope your weekend is going well.

Hello Quar big welcome to this thread!!!! I’m sorry to hear you’re having a hard time with symptoms. It sounds like to me that they’re all typical WD symptoms. ALL benzos and Z drugs have the potential to give a long list of symptoms. You’ve also been taking other meds or benzos so really it’s the same as taking two benzos at once. Your brain is telling you time to come off them by giving you these symptoms. Do you have a taper plan for the benzos? Are you still taking the zolpidem?

Your brain has to heal. That will take time but you must not disrupt it by giving it another benzo. Matter of fact it’s advisable to not give it any meds unless it’s absolutely necessary as stated in the Ashton manual. These symptoms are cruel, unreal, debilitating and have a tendency to pop in and out. They’re really hard to deal with but they’re necessary to heal. I hope I help answer your questions.

I wish you happy healing! Distract yourself as best as you can. Sleep will return. Make sure you have a good sleep routine. Big hugs! It will get better.

I'm on Zolpidem since just one month, doctor says reducing 1 drop a day.

I can sleep without drugs. Really. Zero. If any things worsened during my benzo withdrawal from Dalmadorm.

Quarantadue, so sorry for your suffering. You wrote "can" sleep without drugs but you meant can't I'm sure.

Well, I had awful physical symptoms but I just didn't know they were from ambien. In the end I didn't sleep well on ambien for years and took other meds too. A year ago I was terrified to stop ambien afraid I would get no sleep ever etc and just suffer horrible pain. Not true. What was true is that at about 7 months in the pain got a lot less ... and until then it also reduced significantly at times ... worse other times. Now I do not have the awful physical symptoms that made me want to not live. AND I do sleep! I am committed to sleep hygiene and routine but it's nothing that is too hard to do. It's all based on being calm in the evening ... But, you aren't sleeping at all. Have you tried an antihistamine? All your symptoms are the meds. There is a lot of info out there about sleep ... no blue light after dark coming in your eyeballs, get up early and get outside to let natural light in ... I just quit coffee and am drinking just some green tea before noon and it has helped me. Exercise ... and hot bath a while before bed ... talk to your brain and tell it: We are safe! Avoid adrenaline rushes at night ... control blood sugar in general. Yoga, breathing, so much to try but as LadyDen said your brain has to heal.

Yes, I often sleep well now. Not always. More now that I stopped coffee and I'm just very sensitive.

What's your plan from here on out, did you just join the site? What support do you have? This is TOUGH, what you are dealing with. Can you hold/slow down and regain sleep? How long have you not been sleeping?

hugs to you, glad you're here! John Hunter had horrific symptoms, especially mental ones, from a short use of ambien ... he got off, see his posts!

LadyDen, glad you're feeling a little better! What are you watching on Netflix? Reign still? I need to watch something!

Yes I meant "can't".

I know sleep hygiene rules and some breathing techniques, which helps (but not in acute waves).

I'm taking trazodone 150mg and quetiapine (now 100-150mg range). When I started Zolpidem, I stopped quetiapine - which I don't like for its day after effects. Actually sleeping 5h with trazodone and Zolpidem was fine for me. I hoped Zolpidem could last longer.

Antihistamine doesn't work well with me. Taking antihistamine for a couple of day also reduces the effects of trazodone and quetiapine for some days. Basically when I got used to antihistamine effect also other non benzo rx drugs become less effective.

Quarantadue, so sorry for your suffering. You wrote "can" sleep without drugs but you meant can't I'm sure.

Well, I had awful physical symptoms but I just didn't know they were from ambien. In the end I didn't sleep well on ambien for years and took other meds too. A year ago I was terrified to stop ambien afraid I would get no sleep ever etc and just suffer horrible pain. Not true. What was true is that at about 7 months in the pain got a lot less ... and until then it also reduced significantly at times ... worse other times. Now I do not have the awful physical symptoms that made me want to not live. AND I do sleep! I am committed to sleep hygiene and routine but it's nothing that is too hard to do. It's all based on being calm in the evening ... But, you aren't sleeping at all. Have you tried an antihistamine? All your symptoms are the meds. There is a lot of info out there about sleep ... no blue light after dark coming in your eyeballs, get up early and get outside to let natural light in ... I just quit coffee and am drinking just some green tea before noon and it has helped me. Exercise ... and hot bath a while before bed ... talk to your brain and tell it: We are safe! Avoid adrenaline rushes at night ... control blood sugar in general. Yoga, breathing, so much to try but as LadyDen said your brain has to heal.

Yes, I often sleep well now. Not always. More now that I stopped coffee and I'm just very sensitive.

What's your plan from here on out, did you just join the site? What support do you have? This is TOUGH, what you are dealing with. Can you hold/slow down and regain sleep? How long have you not been sleeping?

hugs to you, glad you're here! John Hunter had horrific symptoms, especially mental ones, from a short use of ambien ... he got off, see his posts!

LadyDen, glad you're feeling a little better! What are you watching on Netflix? Reign still? I need to watch something!

I finished reign a couple of days ago. It was AWESOME! Now I’m watching Bonfire of Destiny on Netflix. It’s pretty good.

Quar I’d say just stay on the trazadone until some of your WD calms down. You were smart to get off the zolpidem. If I’m understanding you correctly you are off the Ambien? I see you recognize you’re in acute. Bad insomnia is common in acute especially. I know it’s tough wrestling with trying to sleep. I’d say don’t fight it too hard. Grab what sleep you can then accept it. As time passes you’ll notice yourself getting more sleep. Distract yourself when you can’t sleep. Do some cleaning, get plenty of mornings of sunlight, play games, read etc. I know people who read boring things or watch boring old shows to fall asleep lol 😂 Hang in there.

I finished tapering Dalmane (9m) and in the meanwhile insomnia just worsened. Even depression worsened while tapering.

So I started taking zolpidem and trazodone together, which worked for a couple of week. Then I crushed, I had a very bad wave with akathisia style symptoms and hard depression.

Psy advised to updose trazodone at 225mg (150mg before bedtime + 75 extended release during the day) for anxiety and depression + 100/200mg quetiapine before bedtime for a couple of weeks.

Started tapering zolpidem at 10mg, now at 9.6mg.

Ok. I understand now Quar. Stay at the dose you’re on and taper the Ambien. About 5 to 10% every 10 to 14 days. Perhaps your other meds will buffer the drops. You got this!  :thumbsup:

Wow so quiet here! How is everyone? We took those drugs for reasons and now we ride out the harder times without them. I've been having lots of stress, etc. BUT on a good note, this is it, this is all we got. Let's drink in the good and ride out the struggles and keep each other up.

Lucky to see a pretty sunset today in a new location, that was uplifting. Tomorrow my career takes oss and it's a big day. So going to get off line and get my mind on relaxing so I can sleep.

Hugs all around.

Is zolpidem (ambien) worse or better than lunesta, anyone know?

I'm stuck on approx 5 mg.  I actually took more after suffering interminably and felt normal today.  Not sure what to do about this.

Thanks.  Yes, the boards seem pretty empty-- I have been gone for a while, kind of gave up.

Kachina,

I love sunsets.  I'm glad you got to enjoy that.  You're starting a new career?  Do tell.  I hope you slept.

Becks,

That's interesting about Lunesta equaling Zoplicone. I took Lunesta for years and knew it by the name you called it. 

I'm still chugging along here with lots of ups and downs. I'm working on not fighting all the waves but just riding the waves if that makes any sense.  Of course, that's easier said than done and I am READY for more windows. 

Good luck to all the Z Drug buddies as we trudge onward.

What bothers me is that zopiclone is banned in the US, but Lunesta isn't.  Lunesta is a stereo isomer of zopiclone, but it's basically the same thing.  Zopiclone is very bad, so eszopiclone is very bad too.

Hi buddies. Hi hope your week has been better than mine.

I kept taking 150mg trazodone and 150mg quetiapine before bedtime with modest results: 2-4h. Depressed mood and akathisia style symptoms.

Tinnitus sometimes gives me hypoacusia in the evening. I had to take 0.5mg clonazepam on Monday and Friday to go to work.

Went down to 8.4mg.

What bothers me is that zopiclone is banned in the US, but Lunesta isn't.  Lunesta is a stereo isomer of zopiclone, but it's basically the same thing.  Zopiclone is very bad, so eszopiclone is very bad too.

Yes that’s crazy!

Hi buddies. Hi hope your week has been better than mine.

I kept taking 150mg trazodone and 150mg quetiapine before bedtime with modest results: 2-4h. Depressed mood and akathisia style symptoms.

Tinnitus sometimes gives me hypoacusia in the evening. I had to take 0.5mg clonazepam on Monday and Friday to go to work.

Went down to 8.4mg.

Sorry you’re struggling Qua! Keep tapering. You know it’s the right thing to do. Hugs

Wow so quiet here! How is everyone? We took those drugs for reasons and now we ride out the harder times without them. I've been having lots of stress, etc. BUT on a good note, this is it, this is all we got. Let's drink in the good and ride out the struggles and keep each other up.

Lucky to see a pretty sunset today in a new location, that was uplifting. Tomorrow my career takes oss and it's a big day. So going to get off line and get my mind on relaxing so I can sleep.

Hugs all around.

Hope your stress gets better. Sunset sounds nice. I love all the colors you can barely describe when watching a sunset or a sunrise. Over the years I’ve taken some gorgeous photos of them. Absolutely fabulous!

Stay calm, be kind to yourself and enjoy your new job. Hugs

Is zolpidem (ambien) worse or better than lunesta, anyone know?

I'm stuck on approx 5 mg.  I actually took more after suffering interminably and felt normal today.  Not sure what to do about this.

Thanks.  Yes, the boards seem pretty empty-- I have been gone for a while, kind of gave up.

Barb I’d like to commend you on your efforts so far. This isn’t an easy thing to taper off a drug your body is dependent on. It shows your inner strength. Myself and plenty of others have hit a wall when tapering. This is normal. So, how do you tear that wall down? With your big sledgehammer of strength.  :thumbsup:

Make up your mind that it’s no big deal to go down to 4.5 you know why? Because it’s not! You won’t notice much or any difference. Fear of going down is normal. I’d like to say that at this point being on 5mg you should make a rule or two for yourself. 1. Once down stay down. You can always hold where you’re at instead of updosing. 2. Each time you reduce, reward yourself. The brain LOVES rewards. 3. Giving up is not an option. Trust your strength within. Pick a date that you will reduce and stick to it no matter what. Don’t give it any mental space to worry you about it. Reduce and say out loud “ this is no big deal”. Then take your reduced dose and distract immediately afterwards. Watch tv, play a game, read, etc

You can do this sweetie! I did. Deanna did. Kachina did. Many others did.

YOU GOT THIS!!! Let’s do it!  :thumbsup:

Kachina,

I love sunsets.  I'm glad you got to enjoy that.  You're starting a new career?  Do tell.  I hope you slept.

Becks,

That's interesting about Lunesta equaling Zoplicone. I took Lunesta for years and knew it by the name you called it. 

I'm still chugging along here with lots of ups and downs. I'm working on not fighting all the waves but just riding the waves if that makes any sense.  Of course, that's easier said than done and I am READY for more windows. 

Good luck to all the Z Drug buddies as we trudge onward.

Helen you said a mouthful. It’s definitely easier said than done but you know what? You have the right attitude to not fight those waves. I’m doing the same. Slow deep breathing is my best friend these days. In 4 days I’ll be 16 months off. Although I’m feeling like I’m worse than acute at times, I’m happy to be approaching another month. Once people get to this stage they want to hurry up and be healed. I’m no different. I’m tired of this but if it’s what I need to heal then ok. All we can do is keep going while making the best of our days until we heal enough to the point that every day is the best of our days. Certainly the race is not given to the swift but to the one who endures to the end. Look up in the dictionary the word endure  :thumbsup: when I did it was so edifying. That’s what you must have to finish this race to recovery.

Wishing you, me and everyone more windows my dear. Hugs