Z-Drug Support Group (Lunesta, Imovane, Zimovane, Ambien, Sonata, Zopiclone)

[Wo...]

Ha Zzers, I am wondering, does any of you get (mental) problems when the pharmacy changes the brand of your medication?

Jerry

Sorry Jerry that you’re going through this with a switch of brands. Me personally didn’t have this issue when I was on ambien ( zolpidem). But I have read on other threads of this happening. Try to use the search bar at the user right corner to read what others posted about it.  :thumbsup:

Hang in there my friend. Hugs  :thumbsup:

Is zolpidem (ambien) worse or better than lunesta, anyone know?

I'm stuck on approx 5 mg.  I actually took more after suffering interminably and felt normal today.  Not sure what to do about this.

Thanks.  Yes, the boards seem pretty empty-- I have been gone for a while, kind of gave up.

Barb I’d like to commend you on your efforts so far. This isn’t an easy thing to taper off a drug your body is dependent on. It shows your inner strength. Myself and plenty of others have hit a wall when tapering. This is normal. So, how do you tear that wall down? With your big sledgehammer of strength.  :thumbsup:

Make up your mind that it’s no big deal to go down to 4.5 you know why? Because it’s not! You won’t notice much or any difference. Fear of going down is normal. I’d like to say that at this point being on 5mg you should make a rule or two for yourself. 1. Once down stay down. You can always hold where you’re at instead of updosing. 2. Each time you reduce, reward yourself. The brain LOVES rewards. 3. Giving up is not an option. Trust your strength within. Pick a date that you will reduce and stick to it no matter what. Don’t give it any mental space to worry you about it. Reduce and say out loud “ this is no big deal”. Then take your reduced dose and distract immediately afterwards. Watch tv, play a game, read, etc

You can do this sweetie! I did. Deanna did. Kachina did. Many others did.

YOU GOT THIS!!! Let’s do it!  :thumbsup:

Thanks LadyDen.  I am wondering what did you do for sleep coming off?  That was my problem for being rx'ed benzos in the first place.

Ha Zzers, I am wondering, does any of you get (mental) problems when the pharmacy changes the brand of your medication?

Jerry

Sorry Jerry that you’re going through this with a switch of brands. Me personally didn’t have this issue when I was on ambien ( zolpidem). But I have read on other threads of this happening. Try to use the search bar at the user right corner to read what others posted about it.  :thumbsup:

Jerry, recently my pharmacy, for the first time, switched brands on me.  Did not know til it was delivered.  Aurobino (I think is brand) made me crazy dizzy... can't take it.  So dr. rx'ed the brand I can tolerate, Torrent.  Plus this one you can break in half etc.  The other is really tough to do that with.    But I don't know about mental symptoms-- just horrible dizziness.

Hi buddies. Hi hope your week has been better than mine.

I kept taking 150mg trazodone and 150mg quetiapine before bedtime with modest results: 2-4h. Depressed mood and akathisia style symptoms.

Tinnitus sometimes gives me hypoacusia in the evening. I had to take 0.5mg clonazepam on Monday and Friday to go to work.

Went down to 8.4mg.

Hello Quarantine,

I saw that you jumped from 9mg Flurazepam. Is that correct? And you do not notice anything? No symptoms? Physically?

Why are you taking Klonopin?

Kind regards

Is zolpidem (ambien) worse or better than lunesta, anyone know?

I'm stuck on approx 5 mg.  I actually took more after suffering interminably and felt normal today.  Not sure what to do about this.

Thanks.  Yes, the boards seem pretty empty-- I have been gone for a while, kind of gave up.

Barb I’d like to commend you on your efforts so far. This isn’t an easy thing to taper off a drug your body is dependent on. It shows your inner strength. Myself and plenty of others have hit a wall when tapering. This is normal. So, how do you tear that wall down? With your big sledgehammer of strength.  :thumbsup:

Make up your mind that it’s no big deal to go down to 4.5 you know why? Because it’s not! You won’t notice much or any difference. Fear of going down is normal. I’d like to say that at this point being on 5mg you should make a rule or two for yourself. 1. Once down stay down. You can always hold where you’re at instead of updosing. 2. Each time you reduce, reward yourself. The brain LOVES rewards. 3. Giving up is not an option. Trust your strength within. Pick a date that you will reduce and stick to it no matter what. Don’t give it any mental space to worry you about it. Reduce and say out loud “ this is no big deal”. Then take your reduced dose and distract immediately afterwards. Watch tv, play a game, read, etc

You can do this sweetie! I did. Deanna did. Kachina did. Many others did.

YOU GOT THIS!!! Let’s do it!  :thumbsup:

Thanks LadyDen.  I am wondering what did you do for sleep coming off?  That was my problem for being rx'ed benzos in the first place.

During my taper I started strict sleep routine which included CBT-I ( cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia). I go to bed about the same time each night and wake the same time each morning regardless of how much sleep I got. About an hour before bed, I’d suggest you turn your lights down to a soft lamp or nightlight. Put on soothing music that includes nature sounds and/or piano music. YouTube has beautiful long ones. My favorite is the soothing relaxation channel. I love the water and piano ones or rain. During this time as you listen, prepare your body and bed for sleeping. Take a warm bath or shower then put on your most comfortable pjs or gown. You can spray your pillow with lavender or rose scented spray. Use a weighted blanket or combine two blankets to produce heaviness. This is soooooo soothing and will make you feel as if you’re being hugged. Grab an extra pillow or teddy bear to cuddle with. Turn off your lamp. Get comfortable holding your bear or pillow. Close your eyes focusing on your soothing music. Imagine the place you’re hearing the music from is where you are….a spa, a beach, a lovely forest, a garden etc let your body be limp relaxing all your muscles and breathing very easy. Keep your focus on your music and relaxing place. Even if you don’t fall asleep by now just stay there in your special place relaxing. When you wake up in the morning. Do your morning routine then go outside for about 20 minutes of the morning sunlight. This will help set your circadian rhythm for sleeping. This routine may or may not work immediately. For me, it did in no time! Stick with it anyway. Give it some time for your brain to receive the “ it’s time to sleep” signals.

I hope this helps you. Please let me know how it works for you.

Also make sure your room is cool ( not cold). The idea is to let the covers warm you. For some reason this puts the body in sleepy mode lol

Hi All, thought I’d check in here. Looks like Lady Den has been holding down the fort and cheering everyone on. Congrats on the new job Kachina. I’m certain you’ll rock it. It’s been seven weeks since I jumped off Zolpidem and aside from ringing ears and numb feet I’m doing great. In June I hit tolerance withdrawal and was in a bad place. I tapered as quick as I could because it made no sense to go slow when the meds were making me sick. I suffered crippling anxiety and dark, dark thoughts. Those are all but gone now and I feel much like my old self. Sleep is still choppy but I manage with a Valerian root, Calms Forte, and Pure Potent Relax melatonin/CBD oil stack. I was lucky that I could take three months off work to sort myself out. I’ve been back working remotely for the past two weeks and go back to in-person next week. In June, I thought I would never be able to work again and started thinking about an early and impoverished retirement. I’m astonished at my transformation. I wonder if my daily Ashwaganda supplement had anything to do with it. It took about six weeks to kick in. All seems pretty good now aside from the ears, feet, and choppy sleep. I put on all the weight I lost, enjoy coffee, beer, and sweets, and have been able to exercise at a high level. Certainly the support from everyone here helped. I don’t know how I could have been any worse. As you all know, these drugs can make you feel scary terrible. If you’re anything like me, once you get off them, a lot of that scary stuff will dissipate. I was never much of a religious person but believe me I prayed to God on my hands and knees when things were really bad. Thanks to anyone that had me in their prayers. Know that you’re all in mine. Hang in there, it will get better.

Jerry

Jerry, recently my pharmacy, for the first time, switched brands on me.  Did not know til it was delivered.  Aurobino (I think is brand) made me crazy dizzy... can't take it.  So dr. rx'ed the brand I can tolerate, Torrent.  Plus this one you can break in half etc.  The other is really tough to do that with.    But I don't know about mental symptoms-- just horrible dizziness.

I had Aurobindo (my medication is clozapine), the brand changed in Auro. Luckily I had still two Aurobindo (the old ones) packages so I was able to slowly change over to the new ones. This took me almost three months. And still with the last little step I feel really bad.

Jerry

Hi All, thought I’d check in here. Looks like Lady Den has been holding down the fort and cheering everyone on. Congrats on the new job Kachina. I’m certain you’ll rock it. It’s been seven weeks since I jumped off Zolpidem and aside from ringing ears and numb feet I’m doing great. In June I hit tolerance withdrawal and was in a bad place. I tapered as quick as I could because it made no sense to go slow when the meds were making me sick. I suffered crippling anxiety and dark, dark thoughts. Those are all but gone now and I feel much like my old self. Sleep is still choppy but I manage with a Valerian root, Calms Forte, and Pure Potent Relax melatonin/CBD oil stack. I was lucky that I could take three months off work to sort myself out. I’ve been back working remotely for the past two weeks and go back to in-person next week. In June, I thought I would never be able to work again and started thinking about an early and impoverished retirement. I’m astonished at my transformation. I wonder if my daily Ashwaganda supplement had anything to do with it. It took about six weeks to kick in. All seems pretty good now aside from the ears, feet, and choppy sleep. I put on all the weight I lost, enjoy coffee, beer, and sweets, and have been able to exercise at a high level. Certainly the support from everyone here helped. I don’t know how I could have been any worse. As you all know, these drugs can make you feel scary terrible. If you’re anything like me, once you get off them, a lot of that scary stuff will dissipate. I was never much of a religious person but believe me I prayed to God on my hands and knees when things were really bad. Thanks to anyone that had me in their prayers. Know that you’re all in mine. Hang in there, it will get better.

John, I am very happy to hear that you are doing so well!  I think you probably know how fortunate you are that your recovery went so well.  It gives me much hope that eventually we will all be where you are now.  Interesting about the ashwaganda, I know it is supposed to help with stress and stress intolerance is the major issue during recovery.  I wish I had the courage to try it, but I have sworn off any and all supplements as almost everything just made me worse.  I have just started to try coffee again and it is going alright so far.  I'm taking baby steps and look forward to being able to exercise again soon.

On another positive note I received this year's flu shot and it was a nothingburger, whereas I was concerned for a possible setback.

Wishing everyone continued healing and a pleasant Autumn season  :smitten:

Good for you Deanna. Glad the flu shot was a nothing burger. I understand your hesitation to try anything else. I really believe Ashwaganda helped me as this was the only thing different from when I jumped in 2020. Not going back on that’s for sure. Yes, I do feel fortunate but lots of work still ahead. Good luck.

John, I am very happy to hear that you are doing so well!  I think you probably know how fortunate you are that your recovery went so well.  It gives me much hope that eventually we will all be where you are now.  Interesting about the ashwaganda, I know it is supposed to help with stress and stress intolerance is the major issue during recovery.  I wish I had the courage to try it, but I have sworn off any and all supplements as almost everything just made me worse.  I have just started to try coffee again and it is going alright so far.  I'm taking baby steps and look forward to being able to exercise again soon.

On another positive note I received this year's flu shot and it was a nothingburger, whereas I was concerned for a possible setback.

Wishing everyone continued healing and a pleasant Autumn season  :smitten:

John, very happy for you! Great to see your post. Really makes me want to try the Ashwaganda but unsure due to the fact that it affects thyroid.

Deanna, stress intolerance---PLEASE tell me more, where can I read/learn more about this? I am stressing beyond what I usually do in this new career phase, I have a short fuse to frustration and strong negative feelings ... like it's all pent up inside me and I feel dysfunctional and depressed by it. I just thought it was the stress of a new career and the stress of COVID-19 isolation and the cold dark wet weather but maybe more is going on. I literally considered calling my doctor for an anti-depressant today and yesterday I feel so bad. I don't want to take pharmaceuticals after all I've been though. I need help and support and not sure where to find it.

Everyone else, hello, very good to see your posts. Thank you LadyDen for all you do here!!

Helen, thank you for asking! I want to stay anonymous so won't go into much but new career, on the good side is an important issue I want to be knowledgeable about but working from home and mostly independently so SO MUCH to learn is stressing me out!!! And I miss just working, going to an office and being with other people. I really miss it, left my job a few years ago due to horrible symptoms that are mostly gone now that I'm off ambien, tramadol and Xanax. BUT I feel like I want to take Xanax!! God almighty what am I supposed to do---all the things I do, exercise, eat well, connect with others, give to my loved ones, cuddle my pets, self-care, etc. But still this intolerable emotional stress lately. Is it from being on these media???!! It's a LONELY time being older and not having much social activity one way or another.

Welcome input from friends on here, have you felt what I'm expressing, how have you best coped? Thank you.

Quarantadue,

I took zolpidem every day for over 20 years. As far as stable, I was terrified to get off and I suffered horrible physical symptoms at the time I started my taper.

I had had depression and anxiety at different times during those 20 yrs, sometimes related to the horrible physical symptoms I had, sometimes in response to life's challenges.

But overall when I started I was not tense and stressed the way I am now. Once I started my taper and stayed connected to this group here I was feeling hopeful and energized--so much so that I started training for a new career before I was done my taper.

Oh Kachina it is good to hear from you again - I just read your last few posts.  I am so sorry my dear that you are struggling.  I am very impressed that you have started a new career and along with all the other activities you listed I am not surprised that you feel anxious or stressed.  I am in my 15th month off Ambien and while I have made some good progress, I am far far from being able to hold down a job and juggle all that goes along with that.  When I think about how highly I used to function just a few years ago I could cry!!

So with regard to the stress intolerance:  I find that if I experience any increased level of emotional and/or physical stress I go right into a wave, which for me is pain, low blood sugar issues, insomnia, etc, all my typical lingering withdrawal symptoms.  It is better than it originally was though.  Used to be that I couldn't shop in Hobby Lobby or I would get overwhelmed.  Now I can shop again.  When I'm feeling stable and calm, I try to increase my activity level, and sometimes I feel I'm gaining ground.  But most recently I decided to foster a tiny kitten, and the demands of his care has challenged me and I'm feeling like I've gone backwards, even though the kitten is pure joy!

So when you describe what you are taking on I can only imagine that you are overwhelming your sensitive system.  I can't see your history while I'm in reply mode, but you didn't jump all that long ago did you?? You might be pushing a little too hard perhaps.  If you were to scale back and baby yourself a bit more you might find your symptoms improving.

Our nervous systems are so fragile - I truly believe that full healing will come but that it indeed takes soooo long.  I'm happy as long as I feel I'm making progress, but when I slip back I get a bit worried and depressed too.  I can't fathom living the rest of my life like this just because of a stupid drug injury  :tickedoff:

Outstanding post my friend! I knew you could do this and yeah it was those damn pills making us sick. I’m glad you’re not suffering much as I am still. But I have had a lot of things disappear as well. So counting my blessings, keeping my head up and looking forward to my complete healing. Your other symptoms will eventually go away. And don’t be surprised if you get new ones or the old ones pop in briefly to say hello. I’m not raining on your parade at all…I’m just being a friend to warn you that it could happen. Even though I was warned, it still was a big frustrating devastatingly shock. Even this time after working so hard to get out of this bed, I was shocked again because I was doing so well. So please don’t be too hasty to start doing too much too soon. Keep in mind our brains took big hits after hits. It’s wonderful to hear of you enjoying your life again especially escaping early retirement. I’m proud of your attitude. Please keep us posted. Big hugs

Thank you Kachina dear. Hope your stress calms down soon. Thanks for what you do too.

Becks I use to use those when I was pregnant. Wow they were the best! I have one on my bed but I don’t use it for sleeping.

Thanks, kind of have done most of the sleep stuff as this is chronic state for me and I have DSPS ;(

About the weighted blanket, was thinking of this but I understand they are really hard to move.  My bedroom is tiny and can't access one side of mattress.  Wondered what size to get (bed is a double or full size)?  Don't want one that gets hot because no a/c here.

Thank you.

Thanks, kind of have done most of the sleep stuff as this is chronic state for me and I have DSPS ;(

About the weighted blanket, was thinking of this but I understand they are really hard to move.  My bedroom is tiny and can't access one side of mattress.  Wondered what size to get (bed is a double or full size)?  Don't want one that gets hot because no a/c here.

Thank you.

Full size will do.  :thumbsup:

Thank you.

I have a single size blankie I put on top of me and the extra weight is comforting although not a weighted one. Seems a single size could work for you. I googled DSPS, wow challenging! I understand your use of the meds ... they are so cruel though. Do herbs help? They help me now that I'm off meds. I rotate 2 weeks on one, then change.

Oh Kachina it is good to hear from you again - I just read your last few posts.  I am so sorry my dear that you are struggling.  I am very impressed that you have started a new career and along with all the other activities you listed I am not surprised that you feel anxious or stressed.  I am in my 15th month off Ambien and while I have made some good progress, I am far far from being able to hold down a job and juggle all that goes along with that.  When I think about how highly I used to function just a few years ago I could cry!!

So with regard to the stress intolerance:  I find that if I experience any increased level of emotional and/or physical stress I go right into a wave, which for me is pain, low blood sugar issues, insomnia, etc, all my typical lingering withdrawal symptoms.  It is better than it originally was though.  Used to be that I couldn't shop in Hobby Lobby or I would get overwhelmed.  Now I can shop again.  When I'm feeling stable and calm, I try to increase my activity level, and sometimes I feel I'm gaining ground.  But most recently I decided to foster a tiny kitten, and the demands of his care has challenged me and I'm feeling like I've gone backwards, even though the kitten is pure joy!

So when you describe what you are taking on I can only imagine that you are overwhelming your sensitive system.  I can't see your history while I'm in reply mode, but you didn't jump all that long ago did you?? You might be pushing a little too hard perhaps.  If you were to scale back and baby yourself a bit more you might find your symptoms improving.

Our nervous systems are so fragile - I truly believe that full healing will come but that it indeed takes soooo long.  I'm happy as long as I feel I'm making progress, but when I slip back I get a bit worried and depressed too.  I can't fathom living the rest of my life like this just because of a stupid drug injury  :tickedoff:

THANK YOU so much Deanna, I guess I really needed to hear this! So I've backed off. My new career is enough self-paced that I can ease up and will go back to living a relaxed life part of my day, lol. I felt so driven and stressed after a while of focusing on work, so doing much better stepping away and making parts of my day about no pressure.

A kitty!!"?? But not one that plays with your feet at night I hope.

I just don't know a lot about what my waves and windows are or what is about my recovery from so many years of ambien and other meds. What a weird time in the world anyway! Stress intolerance. Yes, it's real!

Glad you're making progress, keep going!  :smitten::thumbsup:

Jerry

I had Aurobindo (my medication is clozapine), the brand changed in Auro. Luckily I had still two Aurobindo (the old ones) packages so I was able to slowly change over to the new ones. This took me almost three months. And still with the last little step I feel really bad.

Jerry

Hey Jerry, how's your week? Are you swimming these days? Do you get the Fall blues? I sure do. Winter too, lol.

Stress intolerance is awful. This whole recovery is awful. But necessary too.

How’s everyone doing? Any good news?

Kachina I’m guessing it’s a good thing that you can’t tell your waves from your windows. Especially if you have little to no symptoms. You’re VERY lucky to be doing so well. Be proud of this!  :thumbsup:

THANK YOU so much Deanna, I guess I really needed to hear this! So I've backed off. My new career is enough self-paced that I can ease up and will go back to living a relaxed life part of my day, lol. I felt so driven and stressed after a while of focusing on work, so doing much better stepping away and making parts of my day about no pressure.

A kitty!!"?? But not one that plays with your feet at night I hope.

I just don't know a lot about what my waves and windows are or what is about my recovery from so many years of ambien and other meds. What a weird time in the world anyway! Stress intolerance. Yes, it's real!

Glad you're making progress, keep going!  :smitten::thumbsup:

Glad to hear that this resonates with you.  I do think we all have some very similar recovery experiences.  I too have recently started to do more and I find my old habit of being a highly driven person kicks right in...It is just my nature.  .I have to remind myself to chill out!!!

Hope you find that elusive perfect balance  :smitten:

Super hugs Team Z! It’s awfully quiet in here. Where’s everyone ran off to?  :-\

Well anyway, I hope you’re all in a window sitting outside enjoying sunshine and watching the squirrels fight over nuts. Lol 

Wow hard to believe I’m 16 months!!!!! I’m doing better this week. Starting to be upright more. Taking very short walks inside my apartment. Appetite is better. Still waves and windows each day but doable. My plan is to increase walking. In hopes of restoring my balance. Baby steps  :thumbsup:

Any plans for this weekend? Any good news to share?

Super hugs Team Z! It’s awfully quiet in here. Where’s everyone ran off to?  :-\

Well anyway, I hope you’re all in a window sitting outside enjoying sunshine and watching the squirrels fight over nuts. Lol 

Wow hard to believe I’m 16 months!!!!! I’m doing better this week. Starting to be upright more. Taking very short walks inside my apartment. Appetite is better. Still waves and windows each day but doable. My plan is to increase walking. In hopes of restoring my balance. Baby steps  :thumbsup:

Any plans for this weekend? Any good news to share?

Hey LadyDen!! 16 months wowowow!!  :smitten:

Very glad to know you're doing better, soon you'll be back to your walking self and then out in the world rockin' and rollin'!

Good news, I finally worked and made some money and now that I'm getting in the swing of it the high tension I was feeling calmed down. I really think that connecting with buddies here helped me A LOT. I need LOVE in my life, to give and recieve! Covid days and working from home can be lonely. Weekend, well supposed to rain the whole weekend but I'm sure we'll still walk the dogs! The fall leaves are gorgeous right now ... and we'll go out for a meal one of the days. We did find a netflix show finally, YOU, so are watching something too.

LadyDen, what about you?

Team Z~ what's going on? I wonder about our Twibd1ila, sending you Love and hoping your able to hold on 2.5 and doing okay overall. Let us know!