Z-Drug Support Group (Lunesta, Imovane, Zimovane, Ambien, Sonata, Zopiclone)

[Wo...]

I’ve tapered down from 10mg of ambien after becoming physically dependent after 2 weeks of nightime use. I’ve gone from 10 mg to 1.25 mg, cutting by 50% at each step and holding at each level for 5-6 days till I felt stable for at least 2 days (few or no side effects). I only had one day (first day where I felt a bit off. Maybe a bit moody today too but not too bad). I think I should just jump now rather than cut to .625 mg (I just created a .625 mg sliver using pill cutter, knife and my trusty gemini 20 scale).

So what do you all think….jump now or cut one more time?

I’ve tapered down from 10mg of ambien after becoming physically dependent after 2 weeks of nightime use. I’ve gone from 10 mg to 1.25 mg, cutting by 50% at each step and holding at each level for 5-6 days till I felt stable for at least 2 days (few or no side effects). I only had one day (first day where I felt a bit off. Maybe a bit moody today too but not too bad). I think I should just jump now rather than cut to .625 mg (I just created a .625 mg sliver using pill cutter, knife and my trusty gemini 20 scale).

I'd say follow your instincts on this one, your minimal symptoms as you've tapered say to me that you'll continue to experience minimal even if you jump.  I didn't have many problems getting of Ambien either, its nice to see someone else not suffer terribly too.

KC, Congrats on your beautiful taper!! I say go for it!! I felt so silly taking the last tiny crumb ... but we're ready to let go when we're ready to let go, so you'll know!

Jerry, so sorry to hear you're struggling all day, that is really rough. Are you swimming? What helps you? But I'm glad to see you on the thread again even if it's a tough time and sending hugs! You know, I've suffered from depression too and usually get hit with some in the Fall. Could that be adding in? Or does Fall make you happy usually?! Like it does so many, lol. Those Fall Lovers!!

LadyDen, so glad you are mostly doing much better and your waves are less powerful! That's great news! You bring us such a great attitude and you so deserve to be DONE!!!!! I love the fun in your post about watching Reign (I LOVED THAT SO MUCH!!!!) and ticktok with your daughter! I look forward to the day you tell us you're going to Paris! I've been there long ago and you absolutely must go! Adorable story about the heavy blanket and tea cakes. For me, I want to go back to Italy and this time with my husband! A funny memory from childhood---I had a dog that would smile and she was outside waiting for me when I came home from school each day, with that silly smile. Ohhh so sweet.

Leann sorry to hear you're struggling so much. Wow, 32 months. So you can get zopicline online in the UK, but you mean with a prescription from your doctor right??!! Don't reinstate, find other things or another way. Seems people struggle so bad with that med. Please reach out to others who have gotten off it on here, find a buddy to help you through. Keep posting here!  Have you tried hydroxyzine? I heard it can really knock you out and it's an antihistamine. I'd want to find a way to get some rest, if that's part of the problem you're having. Or is it just the mental symptoms you're trying to help by reinstating? I take SamE for depression and believe it helps me. But you know, we need lots of support when we're going through hard times, some of us do. I do! Please get support. I get vulnerable mentally when I have bad sleep which I do pretty often these days!!! But then I do follow it with good sleep. I mean all around I do the same things and use sleep hygiene 24/7, etc. Some nights aren't good though. So sorry, keep looking for solutions. Sending hugs!

Wondering how our Ambien Sister is doing, Twbd1ila!!!? I just reviewed my signature and see where I held for a month once ... so just remember to trust yourself and trust the process. I hope work will let up on you and you'll feel more ready to go down again or jump.

To increase your chances of a smooth landing, I would cut one more time to at least below 1mg. I would take that for about 4 or 5 days then jump.  :thumbsup:

But as Pam said if you’re having very minimal symptoms then just jump.

I’m glad you’re not suffering like I am. It’s just as bad as benzos and in my opinion in some ways it’s worse.

Best of wishes to you. Let us know what you decide

Kachina the smiling dog story is too cute. How nice that must have been to see your dog waiting on you with a smile. Thanks for sharing that.

Jerry I’m sorry your medication switch isn’t going well for you. Any chance of switching back?

Hi Everyone!  Love all your stories!

KC I am so happy that your taper has gone well and you are ready (any time now) to jump.  As Pamster said it really is up to you.  You were on for such a brief period of time I'm so sorry you got physically dependent that quickly.  You should count yourself lucky that you realized the danger of these drugs sooner rather than later.  I jumped at 2.5.  Like LadyD I have been having challenges and I'm almost done with 14th months off.

Kachina I know those bad nights too.  Weather it is something I ate or just did too much during the day I'll have those nights where I just don't fall asleep for many many hours.  I get bored of my own thoughts, but I have learned not to get upset, and just lie there and rest.  Last weekend I had a piece of cheesecake with caramel sauce - oh gosh it was good, but the excess sugar must have stimulated me - didn't fall asleep until 3:30am.  I am so looking forward to not being so sensitive.

Jerry I too am sorry for your struggles.  Have you thought to restart your taper and finally rid yourself of the poison?  We all know it isn't easy.  Godspeed!

2 days since I jumped from 2 weeks of ambien use (10mg) and a 2 1/2 week taper. Feeling about 85-90% normal. Sleeping is pretty good. Mood swings tend to get easily triggered by stuff that should role off my back, but they are not extreme, mostly feelings of mild sadness/dispair. But it may be justified as I have bitten bullet and scheduled total left shoulder replacement surgery for early February. I’ve been in pain because of bone on bone for years so I just want to get it behind me and be pain free (especially at night so sleeping is less of a challenge). I’ve had full joint replacement in both knees so I know how much better things will be when I’m fully recovered, but I also know the long slog to full recovery. A least my tapering skills are polished so the opioid pain meds will not get better of me.

KC, Congrats on your beautiful taper!! I say go for it!! I felt so silly taking the last tiny crumb ... but we're ready to let go when we're ready to let go, so you'll know!

Jerry, so sorry to hear you're struggling all day, that is really rough. Are you swimming? What helps you? But I'm glad to see you on the thread again even if it's a tough time and sending hugs! You know, I've suffered from depression too and usually get hit with some in the Fall. Could that be adding in? Or does Fall make you happy usually?! Like it does so many, lol. Those Fall Lovers!!

LadyDen, so glad you are mostly doing much better and your waves are less powerful! That's great news! You bring us such a great attitude and you so deserve to be DONE!!!!! I love the fun in your post about watching Reign (I LOVED THAT SO MUCH!!!!) and ticktok with your daughter! I look forward to the day you tell us you're going to Paris! I've been there long ago and you absolutely must go! Adorable story about the heavy blanket and tea cakes. For me, I want to go back to Italy and this time with my husband! A funny memory from childhood---I had a dog that would smile and she was outside waiting for me when I came home from school each day, with that silly smile. Ohhh so sweet.

Leann sorry to hear you're struggling so much. Wow, 32 months. So you can get zopicline online in the UK, but you mean with a prescription from your doctor right??!! Don't reinstate, find other things or another way. Seems people struggle so bad with that med. Please reach out to others who have gotten off it on here, find a buddy to help you through. Keep posting here!  Have you tried hydroxyzine? I heard it can really knock you out and it's an antihistamine. I'd want to find a way to get some rest, if that's part of the problem you're having. Or is it just the mental symptoms you're trying to help by reinstating? I take SamE for depression and believe it helps me. But you know, we need lots of support when we're going through hard times, some of us do. I do! Please get support. I get vulnerable mentally when I have bad sleep which I do pretty often these days!!! But then I do follow it with good sleep. I mean all around I do the same things and use sleep hygiene 24/7, etc. Some nights aren't good though. So sorry, keep looking for solutions. Sending hugs!

Wondering how our Ambien Sister is doing, Twbd1ila!!!? I just reviewed my signature and see where I held for a month once ... so just remember to trust yourself and trust the process. I hope work will let up on you and you'll feel more ready to go down again or jump.

Only just read this, going to try stick it out to 3 years then re asses what is best thing to do. Can't get script for zopiclone, just on line pharmacy so you take a chance what you are ordering, so probably not a good idea.It's mental symptoms and anxiety. Sleep not too bad I take chamomile capsules to help. Think taking SSRI's prolonged withdrawal process, but we think doctors know what they are doing!! Just in bit of a bad wave at moment. Just wish would get Windows as well.  Hope you are all doing well anyway.

Hugs to Team Z! Sorry Leann you’re in a wave. I’m in one too. Yes I think those other pills had polydrug effected you. But just keep going. It WILL get better. Use meditation to keep calm.

Good to read everyone posts. Deanna I’m jealous of that cheesecake. Yummmmm I haven’t had dessert in I don’t know when. Too scared to risk it. I’m already in a wave pattern again each day. My long window is surely over. So I’m hanging on until my next long window.

Kachina hope you’re sleeping better and enjoying your outings. Thanks for being a pillar here for everyone.

Jerry at some point you’re going to have to make a final decision to get off your Z drug. I agree with the others on this, you’ve been tapering and going back and forth on these Z drugs for way too long. Please don’t be mad at me but I’m exercising tough love with you. All because I hate seeing you torturing yourself by kindling. You’re a good person and have come to be a friend. I only want to see you well and happy. And playing that sax on a stage! It’s up to you to take control. You CAN be free of it.

KC congratulations on being Z drug free! Way to go!!! My best wishes on your shoulder replacement. May it go smoothly and bring you a better quality of life. Please keep us posted.

Jerry at some point you’re going to have to make a final decision to get off your Z drug. I agree with the others on this, you’ve been tapering and going back and forth on these Z drugs for way too long. Please don’t be mad at me but I’m exercising tough love with you. All because I hate seeing you torturing yourself by kindling. You’re a good person and have come to be a friend. I only want to see you well and happy. And playing that sax on a stage! It’s up to you to take control. You CAN be free of it.

Ha Lady Den,

The last 8 months I’ve been stable on the amount (daily 50% of a half tablet zopiclone) I was on in januari 2021 and now still am on. So in this period no going back and forth. As I wrote in previous posts that I am changing the brand of other medication I am using. When that is finished. I will start tapering zopiclone again, I expect that I will start at half october. I do everything very careful because in know that hurry leads to failure. I’ve used zopiclone for many many years, so I have to go slow getting off it.

Next week I get my maintenanced saxophones back, so I can’t wait to play on them… huggs,  :thumbsup: Jerry

Happy Sunday Team Z! May today be nice and bring a good window. So far mine is pretty rough but you know what I’m still counting my blessings! An inspiration for today is from a post I read here on a thread. It says

Sometimes you have to just let it rain because you know the sunshine is coming.

That’s me today! It’s raining like hell for me but I know the sunshine is on the way. A lovely window very soon. This made me think about the fact that you can’t stop the rain anyway. Might as well not fight it.

Lady Den,

I'm so sorry you are in a wave right now.  It's really hard. But I guess your quote is a good one for times like this.  Maybe we can think of it as letting the rain wash away all the "gunk" so we can have a clearer path.  I'm pulling for you!

I'm doing pretty well for the past week.  Certainly not perfect but much better.  A bit sleepy......but most of us are, I guess.

Sending you some good sunshine to help you feel better.  :)

Very touching post to me Helen. Thank you so very much. I’m wishing you to continue doing pretty well. This is great news! I’m the same as you. I don’t have to feel perfect but I just want to feel decent enough to function normally while I’m healing. This recovery is truly cruel. Definitely like a roller coaster. Up down go straight a bit ( window) then make a drastic loop then straight then turns and twists then…..it’s over! lol my prayers for me you and everyone is please let this be my last twist or turn. I’m so ready to get off this ride. Lol

Just remember this day Helen. This feel pretty good day. When the terrible day come you’ll need to reflect to remind yourself that if you felt pretty good before then you can again. That’s what I’ve been telling myself since last night when I got thrown into this rollercoaster loop. Hugs to you sweetie thanks

Good advice, Lady Den!  I'll record these decent days in my mental catalog.  I've actually felt reasonably ok for about 5 days now.  Amazing.....but I'm fully aware the window could slam shut.  We can heal.  We will heal. Hang in there. 

Hugs,

Helen

I was on zopicone for 4 months and couldn't sleep without it.  It caused 8nvoluntary movement so the doctor said I should go off of it.  I asked rhe doctor for tempazapam not knowing it was addicting.  I have been trying to get off of it since January.  I had no withdrawal from the zopiclon.

Hi Dom81,

Welcome! What have you been doing exactly, as far as trying to get off?

In general we recommend a slow and low taper ... so 0.50mg every 10 to 14 days. That's super awesome you had no trouble getting off zopicone. I'm not familiar with dosing tempazapam---how will you taper?

We also recommend a commitment to sleep hygiene in a way that works for you, so you can think of what could help you calm down and sleep at night. After talking to other buddies I made the following changes when I started my taper. I got up early every day and got either sunlight or the happy lamp! I got a walk or exercise in, then later when it was about an hour or 2 before my bedtime I'd stop using the computer and/or use blue light blocker glasses if I used it or watched tv. Then I'd take a shower or bath and listen to music or sing to myself. I can get amped up in the evening and learned that we can have adrenaline rushes at night that keep us awake.

I still have to do that and I've learned to have acceptance when I have sleep troubles and ride them out. Not saying I don't get upset sometimes because I do! But it makes me care more about life style changes to support good sleep at night, why? BECAUSE I AM SO DARN JOYFUL AND HAPPY I AM NOT A SLAVE TO THAT DRUG ANYMORE!!!!  And it gave me HORRIBLE side effects that I didn't even know were caused by ambien and doctors didn't know either. So, hurray for your involuntary movement and advice to get off, you saved yourself from Hell!

I now take sleep herbs and rotate the type every 2 weeks.

Lastly, I came here and shared how I was doing and read other's posts and felt connected and support to the group. I hope you'll feel that too. It takes time ... I was scared and confused at first!

Cheers, Kachina

I was on zopicone for 4 months and couldn't sleep without it.  It caused 8nvoluntary movement so the doctor said I should go off of it.  I asked rhe doctor for tempazapam not knowing it was addicting.  I have been trying to get off of it since January.  I had no withdrawal from the zopiclon.

Hi Dom. Welcome to Team Z. That’s great that you didn’t have any ill effects from the zoplicone that you noticed. But you probably did but because of taking the tempaz you didn’t feel it. There’s a thread that may help you to taper the tempaz. Tapering help thread in the main forum page. Best of luck to you.

Please go slow, develop a wise doable plan and hold your dose when it gets rough.  :thumbsup:

Lady Den,

I'm one state north of you!  We're neighbors!

Helen

North Carolina? Hey neighbor!!

Yes I'm in NC! We're neighbors! I just got off the phone with my friend in Pawley's Island.  It was raining there. I hope you have sunshine where you are.

No it was raining stormy here but has cleared out now. How are you feeling Helen?

Hello Team Z!

Kachina, how are things going. Have you had any new symptoms? Sleeping well?

Jerry I hope you’re doing ok. Playing your sax lately?

John sending you happy healing wishes.

Twd where are you hiding? Are you ok?

Becks big hugs to you. What did you watch last night?

Deanna what kinds of foods are you sensitive to? Or products? I had to change my deodorant but wasn’t sure if it was just regular uptick in waves. To be safe, I changed it anyway. Strong smells and noise revs me up. Also certain lights.

Hopefully I can get back on my feet soon so I can go out in the sunlight. Breathe in some fresh air. I’m sure my Vitamin D levels have dropped again.

Love to all.

Lady Den,

I so hope you can get up and out in the sunshine again soon.  if your state is like mine, it's super cloudy today. 

Thank you for asking. I'm feeling good!  Hope you will be again very soon.

Helen