Z-Drug Support Group (Lunesta, Imovane, Zimovane, Ambien, Sonata, Zopiclone)

[Wo...]

No way Helen! because I’m too sensitive. I just relax, massage my forehead gently and stay in the quiet dark until bedtime.

Hey Team Z I finally made it to my new apartment! I’m so happy!!!! To God be all the glory for allowing me to make it.

Anyone else has good news?

:smitten::thumbsup: :thumbsup: :smitten: :smitten: :idiot: :idiot: LADY DEN!!! You made it! That is wonderful news, congratulations!!!! How does it feel? Did you sleep, lol!!! I did not really sleep your first night there, haha, but I sure hope you slept excellent in your new bedroom!

Okay, 2nd night on a few hours here. But so much on my mind and to do and figure out in my new career it's grabbing my mind in the middle of the night.

Helen, I didn't realize you aren't sleeping better. Well, it will come!! What do you do on short nights, stay in bed and rest or get up and do things, or?? I would like to suggest to you something I learned from Deanna, it is curable health.com and there's an app for chronic pain and specifically Nicole Sachs recovered from migraines with this method and developed her own technique--she has a talk on the app and also her own website. I am very impressed with it as it has helped me a lot through my taper and recovery. Perhaps it will speak to you.

Dom, we're a good group and you're welcome here regardless of the drug you're tapering or taking ... we all are recovering and relearning to sleep---is sleep the reason you're dependent on temazepam? So don't feel you cannot participate here as well as any other threads you find but of course you'll find others getting off that specific med elsewhere! We welcome you so please jump in and talk to us if you want. We all were very afraid to give up our med for sleep and we all had bad side effects from being on them.

Thank you everyone for being here. How are you doing? I like LadyDen's theme of good news!

LadyDen has arrived!!!!  Cue up the musicians lol!!!  I wish we could have a party for you LD!  You must be thrilled!!!

Now remember not to do too much on your first days there.  If you're like me you will be buzzing around and doing all the things you have dreamed about doing all these months of waiting.  Pace yourself and enjoy your beautiful new home  :smitten:

Kachina Birdsong,

Thanks for the ideas about migraine and the curable app. I will check that out. 

Funnily, I actually did sleep last night.  I slept for FIVE hours in a row without waking up!! OMG, I don't even do this before I started Benzos and Z drugs.  I mean, wow.  Then I got up and went to the bathroom and went back to sleep for another hour.  So, maybe my luck is changing.  To answer your question, I normally stay up fairly late so that I'm zonked and fall asleep fairly quickly. When I wake up, I strart meditating to myself until I get back to sleep. I don't stay in bed super long though. I'm usually in and out in less than 8 hours.  What about you? 

💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻 I feel like a dancing queen lol

Thanks Deanna, Kachina, Twd and everyone! I love my new home so far. Beautiful view, quiet and fresh everything! First night was a little struggle because I’m not used to the normal noises here but once I did drift off I slept well.

I’m going to take Deanna advice and do very little each day. I have some help coming tomorrow. So I’ll just sit and instruct.

Kachina you know what? When I have trouble sleeping I notice the next day I feel bad. That’s why I hate it when I get a bedtime wave. I’m glad they don’t happen often.

What are all of you doing this weekend? I’m preparing my daughter for school next week. Wow the summer flew by!!!!!

Twd you’re awesome too!

Hugs Helen, John and whoever I missed

Lady Den,

I'm new to this group and grateful to be amongst you. I don't know the whole story but it sounds ike you have moved to a new and wonderful home.  Congratulations to you! I hope it will be a place for joy and positive healing.

Alright Team Z!!!! We are good! We are awesome and helping each other!! I'm very grateful for all of you and your posts I can come gather strength from.

LadyDen, we're having a virtual house warming party with you and for you!! Congratulations, you so deserve to be well enough to move and enjoy your new home!!! Glad you can take it easy too.

Helen, I like your approach for sleep and congrats on the 5 hour sleep! Do you have a certain focus you use in your meditation that helps you go back to sleep? My mind just goes on overdrive sometimes and I can't stop. Other times I focus on my body, everything below my neck, so I IGNORE my brain/head that is talking to me a mile a minute. I worry about staying up too late, if I do something kicks in and I can get REALLY awake and energized if I don't calm down and head to bed by 10 or a bit later. When I'm wide awake at 2 or 3 or 4 I then get up and do things and accept it, although truthfully I have let it scare me. I am changing that attitude to acceptance. This week it happened 3 times but I managed to get through the days better than usual. Just some big things on my mind.

I do still go to bed and lay down for sleep and worry I won't sleep!!!! But I DO SLEEP. Thankfully!

Happy Weekend to all,

Kachina

Kachina Birdsong,

I'm glad you can sleep!  Last night I slept like maybe 2 hours.  Ugh.  That's not typical though.  I was going through a phase of my whole body buzzing and lots of heart palpitations that lasted all night. But I actually don't feel that bad after it...just super tired.  You asked about my focus for sleep mediation. I usually will just try to say positive little affirmations to myself like, "you're alright, you're safe, no pressure, etc".  If that doesn't put me back to sleep, I'll play boring word games like, "name 12 cities in the US that start with the letter R" or some such thing. That usually does it. It's a good distraction from any inner turmoil.  I highly recommend the distraction route in that way if meditating doesn't cut it.  I'm impressed that you can get up and move around. I'm so tired and wobbly at night that usually stay in bed.  A few times I haven't gotten up and petted my cat and come back to bed and it works like a reset.  Good luck! 

Helen

Hi all, thought I’d jump in with a progress report. Since June 18 I have reduced from 25-30 mgs. of Zolpidem down to 2.5 mgs. The lower I go the better I feel. There have been some rough days to be sure but my anxiety is significantly lower in general. I plan to reduce again this week to 12.5 mgs. and jump next week Aug. 27th. Sleep has been choppy but so it has been always. Still have burning fingers and mouth and my feet are a mess, but I’m taking it as it comes. At least tremors have pretty much subsided. I’ve tried to stay active by taking three mile walks and stretching. I also have a few beers each night and I don’t need lectures about the same receptors, blah, blah, blah.  I’ll see how September goes med free. I take Valerian and it helps with sleep. Also, the Ashwaganda seems to have kicked in after six weeks. I really think it contributes to being more mellow. I follow all of your battles closely and you are all in my thoughts and prayers. Stay strong my buddies.

Wow John it sounds like you're doing great!  I am so happy for you that you are feeling less anxiety the lower you go.  I had the very same experience.  One thing that really helped me with sleep was using the grounding mat to sleep on.  I started using it about 4 months after I jumped so I have no idea whether it will help you at this stage, but something to keep in mind maybe?

I wish you continued success with the taper and speedy and complete healing.  Keep us updated :-)

Booze was an entirely different animal for me than benzo's.  I used to drink like a fish and get drunk all the time and when I stopped drinking cold turkey it didn't affect me at all; not one bit.  C/T off the benzo's and I was a total wreck and still am.

Hello,

I hope I can get someone to help me with this. I'm not even sure how to post in these support groups. I've been taking 12.5 mg of ambien nightly for about 8 months. I'm having horrific waves of uncontrollable terror, heart palpitations, dizziness, shakiness and inner trembling. I'm pretty sure this is ambien interdose withdrawal.

I had a very stressful month last month and then I stopped taking my xanax "as needed" which was about 1mg or 2 give or take. I think I was taking it every other day or so. I was also taking a cannabis tincture for about four months and stopped taking that as well.  Maybe that was covering the withdrawal? Or maybe taking two other drugs amplified these symptoms? I'm desperate to pinpoint was is going on. I don't feel like I can live inside this body. The gabapentin has been a god send. It;s the only thing that is allowing me to even exist.

What I would like to know is should I ask for a direct taper of regular ambien.  Has anyone experienced this? When does it get better?

Thank you, L

Thank you Deanna, what is a grounding mat? How are you feeling these days?

Hey John, see the link below:

https://www.earthing.com/

I am doing OK...very slow progress here.  But my sleep is mostly good, and I am mostly functional, just exercise intolerant which really bothers me. 

Hello Team!

John, you gave me a good laugh!!!! Awesome progress, that's excellent!!! Yeah, no, none of us need any lectures, at all whatsoever!!! I don't need a lecture from me to me, how's that!!! Anyway, pretty cool how far you've come and to hear you are walking in spite of trouble with your feet. I look forward to hearing as you progress.

Becks good to see you here sorry you're struggling so badly, it is unfair.

Helen!! You are a lightweight, gee, if those things can put you back to sleep but that's fantastic. My mind will go on forever. I have a mean machine in my brain that can really get going with thoughts and obsessive thoughts trying to figure things out ... on repeat! I slept 3 hours the night before last but had a good night last night.

Thyroid med: anyone else take it? I am really thinking that splitting my dose am and pm is helping me sleep better as one endocrinologist told me it would.

Bluelady, sorry to hear how badly you are suffering, welcome to the group! I hope others can speak to your symptoms as my main issue was physical pain. Many of us have found that our doctors haven't been understanding of the symptoms or the slow taper we recommend on the site. I did have a doctor who agreed to a slow taper and to him I was taking about 1 to 2 months to go down by 2.50mg but really I was on this site every day and going down 0.50mg every 2 weeks, approximately. It looks like you have experience tapering. I think LadyDen can chime in about taking the CR ambien, I didn't take it, but I think you might have to switch to regular ambien first before you begin your taper. Do you have emotional support? Twbd1ila gets support at Narcotics Anonymous and I tried it out once and think it is a good place for support. We're here for you, those symptoms are so hard. What do you have in mind for an overall plan? We can help you make a plan for your tapering and you can find a lot of support on the site. Also, obviously, discontinuing Xanax is also coming in to play--how did you do the last time you got off of it?

Lady Den,

I'm new to this group and grateful to be amongst you. I don't know the whole story but it sounds ike you have moved to a new and wonderful home.  Congratulations to you! I hope it will be a place for joy and positive healing.

Very thoughtful of you. Thanks so much. Yes I've struggled to move into my new place for nearly 3 months because I was too dizzy/boaty and had a set back. Finally made it! I'm loving it so far. It's like a resort here. Beautiful place. I wish you all. The joy too

Hello,

I hope I can get someone to help me with this. I'm not even sure how to post in these support groups. I've been taking 12.5 mg of ambien nightly for about 8 months. I'm having horrific waves of uncontrollable terror, heart palpitations, dizziness, shakiness and inner trembling. I'm pretty sure this is ambien interdose withdrawal.

I had a very stressful month last month and then I stopped taking my xanax "as needed" which was about 1mg or 2 give or take. I think I was taking it every other day or so. I was also taking a cannabis tincture for about four months and stopped taking that as well.  Maybe that was covering the withdrawal? Or maybe taking two other drugs amplified these symptoms? I'm desperate to pinpoint was is going on. I don't feel like I can live inside this body. The gabapentin has been a god send. It;s the only thing that is allowing me to even exist.

What I would like to know is should I ask for a direct taper of regular ambien.  Has anyone experienced this? When does it get better?

Thank you, L

Welcome Blue lady to Team Z! First I'd like to say I'm sorry for your suffering lately. Hopefully I can be of help to you as well as others here. I personally have experience with Ambien CR. Most likely you're in tolerance WD ( withdrawal) and interdose WD plus the erratic effects of your Xanax. Let's see if we can get you more stable.  :thumbsup:

Firstly DO NOT STOP any of your meds youre on now cold turkey. Ambien has a very short half life. It should be tapered first. But it's STRONGLY advised to not cut them. The reason is that they contain a dual layer of Ambien that's released at two separate times per dose. The outer layer immediately and a couple hours later the next layer takes effect. If they're cut, your body will get a very hard dose that may result in serious consequences. So, you must get your doctor to switch you to regular Ambien. My suggestion would be to get the 10mg regular. Take that for about 7 nights to allow your body to adjust to the new dose. Then proceed tapering about 1/2mg every 10 to 14 days. Once you reduce, make a rule that you don't go back up. If symptoms get tough, you can always hold the dose your on for a few more days.

As you know, those pills are tiny. The best way to cut them for me was to dry cut using a thin sharp knife or razor cutting the tip of the pill as your first cut. The other method is using a finger nail file. To do this, you get a sharpie and make two dots an inch apart on the file. Rub your pile in a single swipe between the two dots for 5 times the first reduction. Add 3-5 swipes on each reduction. Or you can use a combination of the two as I did. When my pill was down to being to small to cut then I used the file.

I hope this helps you with your taper plan. Best of luck to you. Please feel free to ask any questions.

Hugs Team Z!

Thanks Kachina for your well wishes on my new place. You're super!!!!

Deana how's the waves and Windows doing now? Settled down I hope!

John thanks for checking in. I was concerned about you. Glad you're ok and staying strong.

Helen what dose are you on now? How are you feeling? Are you more relaxed with your taper plan?

Twd I hope you're having a good day and feeling good.

Becks I've never been a drinker. I used to get a glass of champagne or wine and hold it for long periods when in social settings. I'd sip every blue moon. By the time I left wherever I was my glass would still be more than half full.  :laugh:

To anyone I missed. Sending you hugs and well wishes.

Sorry you guys but I'm unpacking still. I have to take my time doing a little each day so I won't have another setback. But know I'm thinking of everyone. Hopefully I'll be all unpacked in the next few days. Plus school has started back. My daughter is so happy! She hasn't been to school since pandemic started. She was virtual the whole time.

Lady Den,

Thanks for taking time to post. I'm really happy for you to be in this lovely, long awaited living situation. And hooray for your little girl! I hope things go MUCH better at school this year.  Thanks for asking about my taper. I'm OFF both Lunesta and Sonata since June 1. I'm DONE. I tapered Xanax several years ago. I joined the Z drug group because they were my biggest problem in recent years.  It's great to be done.  Just still not feeling like I want to feel but I know many others have been through this and it's nice to be in this group.  Take care of yourself and enjoy your new digs.

Thanks again,

Helen

Hello,

Thank you, L

Welcome Blue lady to Team Z! First I'd like to say I'm sorry for your suffering lately. Hopefully I can be of help to you as well as others here. I personally have experience with Ambien CR. Most likely you're in tolerance WD ( withdrawal) and interdose WD plus the erratic effects of your Xanax. Let's see if we can get you more stable.  :thumbsup:

Firstly DO NOT STOP any of your meds youre on now cold turkey. Ambien has a very short half life. It should be tapered first. But it's STRONGLY advised to not cut them. The reason is that they contain a dual layer of Ambien that's released at two separate times per dose. The outer layer immediately and a couple hours later the next layer takes effect. If they're cut, your body will get a very hard dose that may result in serious consequences. So, you must get your doctor to switch you to regular Ambien. My suggestion would be to get the 10mg regular. Take that for about 7 nights to allow your body to adjust to the new dose. Then proceed tapering about 1/2mg every 10 to 14 days. Once you reduce, make a rule that you don't go back up. If symptoms get tough, you can always hold the dose your on for a few more days.

As you know, those pills are tiny. The best way to cut them for me was to dry cut using a thin sharp knife or razor cutting the tip of the pill as your first cut. The other method is using a finger nail file. To do this, you get a sharpie and make two dots an inch apart on the file. Rub your pile in a single swipe between the two dots for 5 times the first reduction. Add 3-5 swipes on each reduction. Or you can use a combination of the two as I did. When my pill was down to being to small to cut then I used the file.

I hope this helps you with your taper plan. Best of luck to you. Please feel free to ask any questions.

Thank you so much for replying Lady Den!! That is a lot of help. I see a new pdoc on Friday, I hope she will help me. Xx

Blue Lady I'm sure your doctor is a good one. But I'd like to put it out there that the majority of them don't know how to taper benzos and z drugs.

They sell alot of Xacto knife products at sewing stores.  You can use one of those to cut your pills in half.  They have a very thin blade on them.  I have a small one I use to cut my thyroid pills.

Blue Lady I'm sure your doctor is a good one. But I'd like to put it out there that the majority of them don't know how to taper benzos and z drugs.

I've learned that the hard way. I'm hoping she can just give me what I need and I'll do the rest.  <3

Hi Bluelady - Welcome to the thread.  I see you are on gabapentin and ambien right now.  I was on both of those too at one time and I decided to wean off the gabapentin then the ambien.  I had always wondered whether I would have done better going the other way around, the ambien first then the gabapentin?  Is that what you are planning to do?  I'm thinking that would be better than what I did.  I'm thinking now that the gabapentin helps mask the interdose withdrawal of the ambien, and would have helped a lot to have that on board while healing from the benzo damage.

Good luck to you and will be here to cheer you on!!!