XANAX Support Blog: If you're tapering Xanax/alprazolam, join in the discussion!

[mr...]

Well, I think if you asked 10 different people you might get 10 different answers. We are all different. I took it for a month only at bedtime and was addicted. Others take it for months and come off easily. I believe I read that the shortest known addiction was 7 days. I would venture a guess that if you have gone 5 days with no Xanax, you might be in the clear. Usually symptoms show up pretty quickly with Xanax. Mine did, within a few days of making too big a cut, BAM! But I made a tiny updose and got my feet back under me. I was plenty miserable, but at least I was functioning. And then I started a proper taper.

Gard

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [mr...]

• [Ra...]

• [VC...]

Top Posters In This Topic

yes weight gain has been a prob for me. I crave sugar and carbs. But I try to limit my snacks to apples and oranges and popcorn. I will eat cereal before bed and on RARE occasions I eat a scoop of ice cream!

Thanks jr.  Glad to know I'm not alone.  I don't eat too many sweets.  I eat healthy and exercise.  I fast several times a month even.  No matter what, I gain.  I went to my md about it and she continually asked me how much alcohol I was drinking convinced all my probs were alcohol related when I don't drink.  UGH!  I'm never going back to that MD.  I'm down to 1.25 Klon today with a .25 taper planned over the next 5 weeks.  I am hoping that when I get off the benzo train, weight loss might be in my future.  Thinking positive but ready to love myself through this regardless of heavy or thin! :)  Have a great week.

Wishing everyone a great day.

Everhopeful. ;)

I had a good run of sleeping and then last night didn't sleep at all. Today I feel down and trapped, which I am as far as my living situation goes. Nightmares and palps have stopped. I have trauma and abuse issues, which my family contributes to. It seems every morning I rev myself up for life and when I get home it falls apart. I could use a therapist but have no insurance and can't afford.

I still have the high sensitivity to noise. That's the worst. I can deal with the tinnitus. It was pretty loud last night. Maybe it was the can of cola I drank at lunch. Luckily the sun is out. Yesterday I was happy working on a new piece of art but the gray day got to me. Sometimes I watch the wrong kind of tv (violent, hopeless stuff like Homeland). Big mistake. I like the day much more than night. I live in an urban environment with loud vulgar people on the street all the time. All those horns honking and going off. It makes me crazy, feeling like it's hopeless and I'll never connect with the right people.

I did make a goal to go out to art venues. This Friday I'm going to the Barishnikov Center in NYC. By myself but maybe I can network. On Sunday there's a writing group at Housing Works. Might be a good idea to go to that. I'm too isolated and angry.

Oh my, Doggie, you did heroin for 8 years and stopped cold turkey? I think that'd be enough to cause PTSD in a majority of people. I just went through yet another month of 160 mg morphine (which is probably the same as one bag of H) but always deescalate over tramadol for a week and then codeine and I still have the RLS going on like crazy. But good move to push yourself having a social life. I should do the same. I just lack the consistency in everything I'm doing right now.

I haven't updated my journey but I'm stalled at 4mg diazepam. Actually not really stalled since I have had panic attacks around NYE for the first time in my life (disruptive thoughts of being buried alive with soil blocking all my mouth, my nose, my trachea... eek!) and was right back on the Xanax. But it stopped after 4-5 days and I went right back to 4mg diazepam without further ado.

Opiate-wise I'm still on the codeine, going down steadily. I should be off it before the end of the week. Tappering off opiates is not hard for me: I hate opiates with the fire of thousand suns: primary effects as much as side effects.

I'll be back when I'm down to 2 mg, however long that may take.

Happy New Year Everyone!  :D

I had a good run of sleeping and then last night didn't sleep at all. Today I feel down and trapped, which I am as far as my living situation goes. Nightmares and palps have stopped. I have trauma and abuse issues, which my family contributes to. It seems every morning I rev myself up for life and when I get home it falls apart. I could use a therapist but have no insurance and can't afford.

I still have the high sensitivity to noise. That's the worst. I can deal with the tinnitus. It was pretty loud last night. Maybe it was the can of cola I drank at lunch. Luckily the sun is out. Yesterday I was happy working on a new piece of art but the gray day got to me. Sometimes I watch the wrong kind of tv (violent, hopeless stuff like Homeland). Big mistake. I like the day much more than night. I live in an urban environment with loud vulgar people on the street all the time. All those horns honking and going off. It makes me crazy, feeling like it's hopeless and I'll never connect with the right people.

I did make a goal to go out to art venues. This Friday I'm going to the Barishnikov Center in NYC. By myself but maybe I can network. On Sunday there's a writing group at Housing Works. Might be a good idea to go to that. I'm too isolated and angry.

Dog Tag have you tried mindfulness meditation for the high sensitivity to the senses?  I mention it only because that has been my saving grace.  Just the sound of voices begins to grate on my nerves but if I plug in the iPhone earphones and do a little mindfulness meditation and breathing, I can actually soothe my senses and then later on at work if it starts again, just focusing on breathing helps me through the worst of whatever sense is over stimulated.  Just a thought I wanted to share.  Wish you well. :)

Im new to the group. I " just took it to sleep" for the past 10 years, never expected to hit tolerance since I didnt increase my dose. Kick in the pants came last week. Now I understand I need to take small doses during the day, get stable and start tapering. Hopefully soon! Looking foreward to learning and understanding.

Bruno, I take .75 tramadol initially for pain but it's really an opiate substitute. Since I'm more comfortable detoxing from that, I'm taking the slow road on the Xanax and then taper off the tram.

The more I read here, the more I feel I can manage the rage and lack of tolerance for noise and, well, other people in my space. If I had a decent income I could see if living in a quiet zone makes any difference. Lots of problems keep you down. I liked what this guy had to say:

it's a Ted talk on reframing how we view addictions.

EH yes I used meditation and truly love the sound of the brass gong at the end. I don't always remember to do it though. Have a hard time doing things repetitively which is a joke since using meds and such is complete repetition. That's how we are.

Sorry I don't post here with many updates but I seem to do better when I'm not reading or thinking about this whole withdrawal stuff. Hope everyone is doing good. I've been holding with my xanax cut for some time now and just recently I've been getting feelings like fainting. Have had pains in my legs and pain when sitting. Has anyone experienced this? : (

Is anyone on here that took xanax ONLY at night to sleep? I started having IDWD and possibly tolerance issues recently after 15 years of no major issues. So now I understand I have to take some in the daytime to help with the IDWD symptoms. Even at a tiny dose- crumbs that dont even register on my scale. I guess as crap as I feel its better than the wd symptoms.  Has anyone else on here had to deal with this?

Is anyone on here that took xanax ONLY at night to sleep? I started having IDWD and possibly tolerance issues recently after 15 years of no major issues. So now I understand I have to take some in the daytime to help with the IDWD symptoms. Even at a tiny dose- crumbs that dont even register on my scale. I guess as crap as I feel its better than the wd symptoms.  Has anyone else on here had to deal with this?

I took Xanax for over 25 years at night. Then I too started to experience IDWD. It turned my world upside down.

Blue  :smitten:

I took Xanax for over 25 years at night. Then I too started to experience IDWD. It turned my world upside down.

Upside down - ugh! Yeah. I take so little in the daytime it doesnt even show up on the scale but it really whumped me. How bizarre that it acts so different just depending on where the sun is...

Blue, old buddy old pal!  :smitten:

Blue, old buddy old pal!  :smitten:

Hi Challis. It is good to see you :)

Blue :smitten:

Support needed! I have only been on here a short time. I planned for a week then decided to start microtapering which seemed like the easy way to go with xanax. Last night all I took off was .001 and Im sure thats too small an increment for me to have the horrid symptoms I had, so I must just not be stable yet? I ended up breaking into my bottle in the bathroom and nibbled some off a pill. I felt like I was losing my mind and having a heart attack at the same time. Having bad stomach issues too. I tapered myself back pretty easily about 4 years ago to a point- I had hoped this time would be easyish as well. I have a dream of being one of you folks that says " yeah it was a little bumpy at times but it wasnt so bad" - but Im not off to a good start. I just updosed myself to some random amount and right now all I can do is pray for guidance since I dont feel in control anymore. Is there anyone out there that went through this and can give me some advice on how to have a better start so I have a better chance?

Support needed! I have only been on here a short time. I planned for a week then decided to start microtapering which seemed like the easy way to go with xanax. Last night all I took off was .001 and Im sure thats too small an increment for me to have the horrid symptoms I had, so I must just not be stable yet? I ended up breaking into my bottle in the bathroom and nibbled some off a pill. I felt like I was losing my mind and having a heart attack at the same time. Having bad stomach issues too. I tapered myself back pretty easily about 4 years ago to a point- I had hoped this time would be easyish as well. I have a dream of being one of you folks that says " yeah it was a little bumpy at times but it wasnt so bad" - but Im not off to a good start. I just updosed myself to some random amount and right now all I can do is pray for guidance since I dont feel in control anymore. Is there anyone out there that went through this and can give me some advice on how to have a better start so I have a better chance?

Please do not beat yourself up for up dosing. I did the same thing at least 2 times during my taper....it did not help like I hoped it would.

I advise you to move forward from here and renew your commitment to getting off this bad drug. I have never regretted it and you will not either. Take care Kitty.

Blue :smitten:

I was on generic Xanax for 2-1/2 years. My daily dosage ranged from 2-4.  It was at 2 or less for most of that time and only up to 4 for the last few months I was on it as my body began to reject it.  When I hit tolerance withdrawal, I took it as a sign that my body just really did not want the stuff so switched over to clonazepam to stabilize at 4 mgs.  I tapered down to 2 fairly fast and then slowed down from there.  Yes, the anxiety returns, the muscles get tight, frozen shoulders came and went and then the lower I got the more positive I got in my thinking realizing these rebound anxiety symptoms were just a wave that had a beginning and would have an ending.  I learned to breathe. I'm now down to 1 mgm of clonazepam and feel the discomfort after ever reduction but it does stabilize within days and I keep a good and curious attitude and acknowledge and then let go of the fear that crops up.  Things go much better then.  It helps to work on finding ways to view your experience positively, accepting rather than resisting it, breathing your way through the tough spots where you circumvent fearful thoughts with focusing on your breathing one breath in and one breath out at a time.  Relaxing and knowing ultimately, you're going to be okay as long as you don't do anything too drastic that would increase your discomfort.  Be forgiving and compassionate with yourself no matter what.  These things are helping me.  Going from 4 to 1 mgm was not easy but it wasn't that hard either.  It is doable to reduce and face the anxiety.  Heck, I begin to view insomnia as a great opportunity to meditate when no one is up in the house.  ;)  Something that might help if you can consider it is Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction.  Google it.  There is even a free course offered that has done absolutely wonderful things for me so far.  If nothing else it is a very good and healthy distraction from the rough spots.

I wish you the best.

Ever...

Thank you so much. I am trying to stay positive. I think once I have daytime doses stabled I will be able to taper on the nighttime dose. Since I never took it in the daytime it really hits me and its hard to find a stable amount. But challis says as long as her total daily dose is stable shes ok so maybe I can just set a target total for the day instead and just " put on my big girl panties" and get on with it. I have " The Power of Positive Thinking" which I will start reading again. I guess Im looking for answers that I can really only find by doing. Thank you all ❤️

Once I goofed up my taper by trying to jump at .25 (pre BB) things did not go very easily the rest of the way down.  I jumped again at .0625mg with no new or increased symptoms, so I'm going to guess that .001 you took off wasn't the cause of your symptoms. 

Are you following a dosing schedule, and if so, can you share it?

With never having taken it before in the daytime I just went by some ofther folks posts- today I did 8 AM and 1 PM so far. Since I didnt have a dose, its just a guess. I crushed a quarter of a .25 pill and I imagine that will last 2-3 days but just guessing. Prior to today I was just nibbling or licking a pill. Since such a tiny dose affects me in the daytime its tricky working out a practical dose! My nighttime dose last night was supposed to be .625 but as I posted above I had bad symptoms and cowarded out and took an extra nibble and screwed it all up once again. With the symptoms starting up as I was on this same dose that was why I asked about updosing, maybe I should have started higher. Who knows ....

In my opinion, nibbling to get rid of really bad symptoms is okay.  I did the same when I tried to c/t at .25mg.  Amazingly, in ten minutes or so the little nibble made a significant difference in symptoms.  Powerful stuff.

Generally the doses are spread out during the day to avoid the symptoms coming on hard, or coming on in between doses.  If you think you can do okay with one dose a day, you could try that again. 

Different things work for different people.  You're doing what I would do...trying to find out what works best for you.

Challis-When you tapered did you just dry cut a quarter of a quarter at a time? Thats kinda what I did my first time I tried. I took some CoQ10 one day and freaked out, and didnt sleep for a week. I blamed it on the CoQ10 up until now. I think that triggered something but after reading all this I see I hit a wall and I never even knew it.

Yes, once I reinstated after the ill-fated attempt to jump, I went to .0625 four times a day.  So I'd take a .25mg tablet and cut it into fourths and that was my daily dose.

From there I dropped one dose at a time (with holds in between) until I was done.  I think a lot of it is in my signature... you can see by the dates that I rushed it at the end but it didn't seem to hurt.

I'm not saying anyone else should do what I did, though.

I was wondering about your early tapering from the larger doses, I will look at your blog. Thanks for all the info and encouragement. I will try to keep gradually tapering at night and go to 3x a day on the nibbles when I can. Hopefully I wont have to cheat nibble at night much since that really defeats the purpose of tapering!