Important Survey - Please Participate ×

XANAX Support Blog: If you're tapering Xanax/alprazolam, join in the discussion!

[mr...]

[01...]

Gardener,

I completely understand your sense of entrapment.

These drugs will do that to you.

That's why for me, when symptoms become unbearable, I change it up.

Are your emotional "head" symptoms new?  Did they occur after your inpatient experience?

If so, I had extreme "head" issues post inpatient. After I reinstated, they all disappeared within 6 weeks, approximately. I will get hit occasionally with mild depression or fear if I cut too quickly, but they do not stay. My symptoms are physical.

I too, have children and need to remain functional.

There are no words for how difficult this journey is let alone having to raise children as well.

Hugs to you.

My neuropathy typically hits early morning, 3-4 pm and then at 10:00. This pattern began when I was ct off of K and placed on phenobarb. That was inhumane and barbaric.

I did not have neuropathy prior to this so am hopeful that it will resolve once my taper is completed. Once my body has healed.

Will your doctor allow you to try a longer acting benzo?

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [mr...]

• [Ra...]

• [VC...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Marija, Thanks for your support. My kids are actually college students.

I was deteriorating prior to going inpatient for one day. I was hoping to give my kids break from taking care of me. It didn't work. They messed my meds and scared me to death. So here I am back again and in pain again after a brief good day the other day. The pain has no pattern. If it did, I could bear up better, I guess. I was doing OK with the emotional symptoms unit the pain started. the two together are too much for me.

I'm sorry to hear that you are having all this pain, too. I think there is something weak about me because others bear up under pain so much better than I do. I often think my kids would be better off without me. Of course, everyone says that's not true, but the thought won't go away.

I was doing well and exercising every day even though the pain was bad. Now I can barely eat or function. The house is a mess. I have not been able to focus well since I started the X and now I have no energy, so I just wander around looking at everything that needs to be done, can't figure out what to do, get upset. 

I need to go try again now. There's laundry and cleaning just piling up. And I need to eat something.

[01...]

Gardener,

There are plenty of BB's suffering in silence, thinking and feeling similarly to you. I find that when the pain escalates to unbearable, it suffocates my voice. I no longer can articulate my pain and simply let the tears fall. 

Accomplish what is absolutely necessary to survive the day. The rest can and will wait.

The laundry, dishes and the garden all will have to wait.

Give yourself permission to let the mess pile up until you feel like you can push through a bit.

We all find our survival tools. Distraction works for some; bed rest for others.

Then, focus on your eating. Your body will be able to find moments of reduced symptoms better with good nutrition on board. I too, have lost too much weight, my appetite and my desire for food.

It's no longer enjoyment; it's my job.

I force myself to eat nutrient dense foods ever couple of hours to ward off hypoglycemia.

Your children love and need you Gardener, I know you know this.

This will eventually end.

Hugs,

Marija

Thank so much for all your advice and encouragement, Marija. Can you explain what you meant earlier by, "I change it up?"

Feeling a little less freaked out at the moment, but dreading the long night ahead. The neuropathy is roaming around my body, keeping me on edge and awake. I'm wondering if the med flip at the hospital a week ago, even though it was just one day, could be hitting me now after all this time.  :-\

Anyone find it hard to sit still from uncomfortable feelings in the legs? I've noticed standing or laying down helps with it.

[01...]

Gardener,

Since reinstatement, my goal was to remain as functional  as possible, allowing me to raise my children. In order to accomplish this, I've changed it up by changing the cut amount, time, length of hold and then adding in V when physical pains became far too extreme from the interdose withdrawal from X and the heightened CNS sensitivity from the CNS "injury" when C/ted.

When I began my taper, I was able to cut by 118mgs every 7-10 days. Then, I needed to decrease that to only 5% every 10 - 14 days, then every 7 - 10 days, then reduced only 2.5% every 7-10 days, then 2.5% every 7 days, added in a small dose of V and continued with 2.5% reduction every 7 days.

That's how I've been changing it up. Anything to keep moving forward.

Hope that helps.

Marija

[01...]

Raven,

Yes to your question.

The burning, searing, tingling feeling of electrocution is one of my main symotons.

I have it in my feet, legs, pelvic region and the right side of my face.

For me, laying down with bags of ice helps the most.

I also get it post exercise.

What helps you the most?

Marija

Gardener,

Since reinstatement, my goal was to remain as functional  as possible, allowing me to raise my children. In order to accomplish this, I've changed it up by changing the cut amount, time, length of hold and then adding in V when physical pains became far too extreme from the interdose withdrawal from X and the heightened CNS sensitivity from the CNS "injury" when C/ted.

When I began my taper, I was able to cut by 118mgs every 7-10 days. Then, I needed to decrease that to only 5% every 10 - 14 days, then every 7 - 10 days, then reduced only 2.5% every 7-10 days, then 2.5% every 7 days, added in a small dose of V and continued with 2.5% reduction every 7 days.

That's how I've been changing it up. Anything to keep moving forward.

Hope that helps.

Marija

I see. Thanks. I will discuss this kind of option with my psychiatrist when I see him. I'm also going back to dosing 6 times a day as of right now.

[01...]

Hope you find a "comfortable" spot soon Gardener.

Although inconvenient, dosing 6 times a day works better for me than 5. I tried that in 8/1014 and my body didn't like that.

Take good care and try and eat.

Hugs,

Marija

Raven,

Yes to your question.

The burning, searing, tingling feeling of electrocution is one of my main symotons.

What helps you the most?

Marija

Thanks for the reply. I don't think I've gotten the 'tingling feeling of electrocution' but I do get this feeling as if sweat was running down my leg but under the skin if that makes sense. It's very hard to describe. I usually just lay with out bending my legs and it goes away after a while or it will just go away on it's own.

Raven,

Yes to your question.

What helps you the most?

Marija

Thanks for the reply. I don't think I've gotten the 'tingling feeling of electrocution' but I do get this feeling as if sweat was running down my leg but under the skin if that makes sense. It's very hard to describe. I usually just lay with out bending my legs and it goes away after a while or it will just go away on it's own.

What you describe is an example of a paresthesia, an abnormal nerve sensation. Mine are burning or feeling of being scraped raw with sandpaper or being poked with pins all over my legs. They are from the nerves and the brain miscommunicating with each other. So sorry that you are having them. They seem to be common.

Hope you find a "comfortable" spot soon Gardener.

Although inconvenient, dosing 6 times a day works better for me than 5. I tried that in 8/1014 and my body didn't like that.

Take good care and try and eat.

Hugs,

Marija

I was doing OK on 5 doses until I got below 1.4mg/day. Hoping 6 doses helps because I am a yo-yoing wreck! My daughter is here and helping me out today.  :)

Raven,

Yes to your question.

What helps you the most?

Marija

What you describe is an example of a paresthesia, an abnormal nerve sensation. Mine are burning or feeling of being scraped raw with sandpaper or being poked with pins all over my legs. They are from the nerves and the brain miscommunicating with each other. So sorry that you are having them. They seem to be common.

Ah, thank you! Makes sense  :)

Raven,

Yes to your question.

What helps you the most?

Marija

Ah, thank you! Makes sense  :)

Guess I should have said that I had these paresthesias from an autoimmune disorder that damages my nerves (before I ever took Xanax). I don't expect that you will get it as bad as I have. I am predisposed to this problem.

And you're very welcome!

Now I'm down to 0.625 daily divided into three doses. I learned the hard way by suffering severe w/d, horrible sweating with accompanying heat, anxiety etc. I have taken Xanax 14 years and think I'm prone to Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome because of the length of use, I am super sensitive to change in dose. What I have learned:

#1.  Reduce by very small increments, 5% or so, depending on how you handle reduction.

#2.  Three doses 8 hrs apart works well, two doses 12 hrs apart caused severe withdrawal symptoms

#3.  Titration using milk is much more accurate than dry cutting 1mg tabs

#4.  By following the above info I have reduced withdrawal symptoms to a mild level instead of suffering horrible

sweating, and very sick feeling, and insomnia brought on by waking up sweating. Some nights the hot flashes

followed one right after another. I also use Picamilan and Body Calm Supreme, both day and night formulas.

#5.  This getting off Xanax is very possible if you find what works for you and don't let anyone else try to control

your taper. I wish all buddies success and don't give up!

;)8):smitten:

[01...]

Rdb,

You are almost at the end of this painful journey - 👍!

Great tips, thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience.

Marija

Now I'm down to 0.625 daily divided into three doses. I learned the hard way by suffering severe w/d, horrible sweating with accompanying heat, anxiety etc. I have taken Xanax 14 years and think I'm prone to Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome because of the length of use, I am super sensitive to change in dose. What I have learned:

#1.  Reduce by very small increments, 5% or so, depending on how you handle reduction.

#2.  Three doses 8 hrs apart works well, two doses 12 hrs apart caused severe withdrawal symptoms

#3.  Titration using milk is much more accurate than dry cutting 1mg tabs

#4.  By following the above info I have reduced withdrawal symptoms to a mild level instead of suffering horrible

sweating, and very sick feeling, and insomnia brought on by waking up sweating. Some nights the hot flashes

followed one right after another. I also use Picamilan and Body Calm Supreme, both day and night formulas.

#5.  This getting off Xanax is very possible if you find what works for you and don't let anyone else try to control

your taper. I wish all buddies success and don't give up!

;)8):smitten:

Thanks for these tips and congratulations on far along you are!!!

Bye, bye window.  :'(

Ah well, at least this wave isn't as bad as the last one. But, gol darn, I only cut .02mg!  :tickedoff:

• 2 weeks later...
It's very discouraging that people have stopped sharing their experience, strength, and hope on this site.  :(

It's very discouraging that people have stopped sharing their experience, strength, and hope on this site.  :(

Do you mean this thread? It has been quiet, hasn't it?

Hey, Xanax taperers, what's been happening? Is no news good news or bad news? Enquiring minds want to know!

(Ha, ha, my spell check tried to turn taperers to tamperers. Kind of works!)

As for me, I've been kind of same old, same old for awhile. Not awful, not great; plugging away; wishing for better sleep; glad I'm on more of a relatively even keel dosing 6 times a day instead of 5 (smaller doses more often, not a raise in total dose).