Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Gabapentin (Neurontin) Withdrawl Support Group

[Is...]

I wonder if the people in this group who were prescribed gabapentin to help with their benzo withdrawals, have been successful in tapering off the benzo, and if you atribute the success to the help of gabapentin. I was tapering quite happily until I came down to 1 mg too fast and went into a state where I had to choose between updosing and living in sheer terror and not functioning. I am now at 2.5 valium and a psych I visited prescribed trazodone and gabapentin. I'm taking the trazodone but I was too scared of taking the gabapentin as the first pill made me feel very weird. I'm afraid to try it but I'm at a loss with the reviews, as many people swear it saved them from the benzo and just at many say that it ruined their lives. Holpe you all have a great Sunday.

the first pill makes you high. lots of people abuse it and it sells on the street recreationally. it always made me doped up. they call it "morontin" (neurontin) for a reason. if it makes you high, it is psychoactive and def works n the GABA receptors hence its name gabapentin. it downregulates (shrinks) the GABA receptors with continued use, and then we can't make our own feel good/calm down Dopamine from them. now ya know. yes it works well for pain, better than a narcotic/opiod. it's also more destructive as it prevents brain growth and prevents new brain neuronal synapses (connections) from forming. it shrinks the brain volume. this is all proven and published scientific facts.  you have the knowledge with which to make an informed decision. but, many people decide to play with fire, or do so out of ignorance of the facts of what it does to the brain, or are so desperate they take it anyway, knowing the dangers, because they can't bear the pain, each individual is unique, however, the drug is not and has the same effects on everyone's neurons. i can't make the decision for anyone else, just myself. i hope you find the strength to make the decision that's in YOUR  best interest. remember that stuff about the best advocate is you! :thumbsup:

Wow, nomoredrugs after what you said I really don't feel like taking it. I know some drs also prescribe Qietapine to come off benzos, and I see that one in your signature. Is it really helpful?

[5f...]

I wonder if the people in this group who were prescribed gabapentin to help with their benzo withdrawals, have been successful in tapering off the benzo, and if you atribute the success to the help of gabapentin. I was tapering quite happily until I came down to 1 mg too fast and went into a state where I had to choose between updosing and living in sheer terror and not functioning. I am now at 2.5 valium and a psych I visited prescribed trazodone and gabapentin. I'm taking the trazodone but I was too scared of taking the gabapentin as the first pill made me feel very weird. I'm afraid to try it but I'm at a loss with the reviews, as many people swear it saved them from the benzo and just at many say that it ruined their lives. Holpe you all have a great Sunday.

the first pill makes you high. lots of people abuse it and it sells on the street recreationally. it always made me doped up. they call it "morontin" (neurontin) for a reason. if it makes you high, it is psychoactive and def works n the GABA receptors hence its name gabapentin. it downregulates (shrinks) the GABA receptors with continued use, and then we can't make our own feel good/calm down Dopamine from them. now ya know. yes it works well for pain, better than a narcotic/opiod. it's also more destructive as it prevents brain growth and prevents new brain neuronal synapses (connections) from forming. it shrinks the brain volume. this is all proven and published scientific facts.  you have the knowledge with which to make an informed decision. but, many people decide to play with fire, or do so out of ignorance of the facts of what it does to the brain, or are so desperate they take it anyway, knowing the dangers, because they can't bear the pain, each individual is unique, however, the drug is not and has the same effects on everyone's neurons. i can't make the decision for anyone else, just myself. i hope you find the strength to make the decision that's in YOUR  best interest. remember that stuff about the best advocate is you! :thumbsup:

Would you mind citing your source?

I'd definitely like the source for this, too:

def works n the GABA receptors hence its name gabapentin. it downregulates (shrinks) the GABA receptors with continued use

as well as this:

it's also more destructive as it prevents brain growth and prevents new brain neuronal synapses (connections) from forming. it shrinks the brain volume.

Thanks.

Katz

I was under the impression that gabapentin was less harmful because it doesn't bind to the gaba receptors like benzos do.

Wow, nomoredrugs after what you said I really don't feel like taking it. I know some drs also prescribe Qietapine to come off benzos, and I see that one in your signature. Is it really helpful?

noo!~ hell no quetiapine/seroquel gave me drug induced metabolic syndrome including prediabetes 70 pound weight gain mixed hyperlipidemia high cholesterols/esp trigycerides and all the sx's of m\ultiple sclerosis and more which as i already told ya about in a previous post completely disappeared once i got my dose low enough. it made me hear voices and other psychotic sx's when i was not psychotic to begin with. i have been slowly tapereing off of 20 years of seroquel ever since october of 2017. i was at 400mg nightly and it didn't even make me sleepy anymore. it was useless, harmful, dangerous and almost killed me. i lost all my friends and most family relationships due to the way it altered my personality. i am NOT a fan of that drug and to be quite honest any drugs that are psychoactive except in emergency situations for short periods of time at low doses and then tapered off slowly and under supervison. but that's my opinion. and everyone has one.  i was repeatedly abused by the people wearing white coats and their drug reps and the drugs they push for decades and am understandably distrustful of the whole system now.

experience and doing your homework/research following the money and paper trail will open ya eyes lemme tell ya. but people don't wanna do the legwork, they want everything handed to them on a silver platter. i am recovering from a horrible episode yesterday involving family and not up to digging up all the facts for people right now. it's all online and easily brought up in moments using google or other search engines and typing in keywords. much of the info is already published here on the board as well.

it's all online

nomoredrugs, if you're going to make claims for drugs, you need to cite sources. Saying it's "all online" is not good enough.

You upset people with your unsubstantiated assertions. And that's hardly fair.

We're here to help other people, not frighten them. valiumnomore deserved better from you.

Katz

it's all online

nomoredrugs, if you're going to make claims for drugs, you need to cite sources. Saying it's "all online" is not good enough.

We're here to help other people, not frighten them. valiumnomore deserved better from you.

Katz

back off katz me n val have been in multiple convos on multiple threads and i have helped her quite a lot. i am not required to go dig up all the sources everytime people demand them. i told ya how to find it easily yourself. if you don't want to that's not my business.

it's all online

Katz

back off katz me n val have been in multiple convos on multiple threads and i have helped her quite a lot. i am not required to go dig up all the sources everytime people demand them. i told ya how to find it easily yourself. if you don't want to that's not my business.

No moredrugs I'm so sorry that you had such bad experiences with these drugs. Thank you for the warning. We are all desperate to come off the benzo and want help. Maybe you're right and there is no help. I hope your family situation gets better, whatever it is you're going through.

it's all online

Katz

It's ok Katz, I think nomoredrugs really tries to help but is having a bad day. I know she is good hearted and loves to help people. I'm a bit demanding these days so I can exasperate people but I know she just wants me to stay off what has hurt her  :'(

NoMore.. (sorry)

I didnt realy want to jump in, but they are new concepts to me too and not what I have found when looking... Things like this are important and do matter...

Im also not sure Gabapentin works better on non-neuropathic pain better than opiates/analgesics, but the perceived lesser risk profile may be contributing to the practice these days...??

I dont deny there are and will be problems with Gabapentin, -I feel a specific one is when used in conjunction with benzo... Accurate info is what we need as it becomes available, as it is also a valuable medication...

NoMore, perhaps when you feel a bit better you could point us in the right direction with regard to these Gabapentin topics..??

-If not, thats ok..

Thanks...

[5f...]
Having someone make false statements about a drug and then refusing to cite the sources and saying "it's online" is unacceptable.  There are very vulnerable people here.

Having someone make false statements about a drug and then refusing to cite the sources and saying "it's online" is unacceptable.  There are very vulnerable people here.

I agree, scrabble girl. And the most vulnerable people are the least able to go look things up online imo. Then they are left with false information, and false impressions that a drug works or does not work in the manner described by the "information" poster. THEN they make a decision that may or may not help them and may, indeed, harm them.

This seems to me to be akin to practicing medicine without a license . . . or at least practicing pharmacology without a license.

Katz

it's all online

Katz

No moredrugs I'm so sorry that you had such bad experiences with these drugs. Thank you for the warning. We are all desperate to come off the benzo and want help. Maybe you're right and there is no help. I hope your family situation gets better, whatever it is you're going through.

thanks Val. and as always you're also welcome. but i never said anything to the effect that "there's no help" so please don't confuse what others said with my advice. i would never say that. anyways yeah my family trauma is still going on, the aftermath of what happpened 2 days back. thanks for the understanding and good wishes :smitten:

it's all online

Katz

It's ok Katz, I think nomoredrugs really tries to help but is having a bad day. I know she is good hearted and loves to help people. I'm a bit demanding these days so I can exasperate people but I know she just wants me to stay off what has hurt her  :'(

yes, thanks again Val for setting it straight...

...experience and doing your homework/research following the money and paper trail will open ya eyes lemme tell ya. but people don't wanna do the legwork, they want everything handed to them on a silver platter. i am recovering from a horrible episode yesterday involving family and not up to digging up all the facts for people right now. it's all online and easily brought up in moments using google or other search engines and typing in keywords. much of the info is already published here on the board as well.

NoMore.. (sorry)

I didnt realy want to jump in, but they are new concepts to me too and not what I have found when looking... Things like this are important and do matter...

Im also not sure Gabapentin works better on non-neuropathic pain better than opiates/analgesics, but the perceived lesser risk profile may be contributing to the practice these days...??

I dont deny there are and will be problems with Gabapentin, -I feel a specific one is when used in conjunction with benzo... Accurate info is what we need as it becomes available, as it is also a valuable medication...

NoMore, perhaps when you feel a bit better you could point us in the right direction with regard to these Gabapentin topics..??

-If not, thats ok..

Thanks...

thanks Cantfly for your gracious way of speaking to me in this time of trouble personally. i appreciate your sympathetic understanding. since you and Val have been so kind i will post a little  despite not feeeling frikkin  up to it in my current situation. suicide has a way of making everything else seem quite trivial. but for those who aren't attacking me and bullying me because i don't feel like doing everything for them right this minute, for the actual considerate human beings on this board/thread, i will acquiesce sp? and post this:

Study Title:

Neurontin and Lyrica are Highly Toxic to New Brain Synapses

Study Abstract

Synapses are asymmetric cellular adhesions that are critical for nervous system development and function, but the mechanisms that induce their formation are not well understood. We have previously identified thrombospondin as an astrocyte-secreted protein that promotes central nervous system (CNS) synaptogenesis. Here, we identify the neuronal thrombospondin receptor involved in CNS synapse formation as α2δ-1, the receptor for the anti-epileptic and analgesic drug gabapentin. We show that the VWF-A domain of α2δ-1 interacts with the epidermal growth factor-like repeats common to all thrombospondins. α2δ-1 overexpression increases synaptogenesis in vitro and in vivo and is required postsynaptically for thrombospondin- and astrocyte-induced synapse formation in vitro. Gabapentin antagonizes thrombospondin binding to α2δ-1 and powerfully inhibits excitatory synapse formation in vitro and in vivo. These findings identify α2δ-1 as a receptor involved in excitatory synapse formation and suggest that gabapentin may function therapeutically by blocking new synapse formation.

From press release:

Researchers at the Stanford University School of Medicine have identified a key molecular player in guiding the formation of synapses — the all-important connections between nerve cells — in the brain. This discovery, based on experiments in cell culture and in mice, could advance scientists' understanding of how young children's brains develop as well as point to new approaches toward countering brain disorders in adults.

The new work also pinpoints, for the first time, the biochemical mechanism by which the widely prescribed drug gabapentin (also marketed under the trade name Neurontin) works. "We have solved the longstanding mystery of how this blockbuster drug acts," said Ben Barres, MD, PhD, professor and chair of neurobiology. The study shows that gabapentin halts the formation of new synapses, possibly explaining its therapeutic value in mitigating epileptic seizures and chronic pain. This insight, however, may lead physicians to reconsider the circumstances in which the drug should be prescribed to pregnant women.

The paper, to be published online Oct. 8 in the journal Cell, looks at the interaction between neurons — the extensively researched nerve cells that account for 10 percent of the cells in the brain — and the less-studied but much more common brain cells called astrocytes. Much work has been done on how neurons transmit electrical signals to each other through synapses — the nanoscale electrochemical contact points between neurons. It is the brain's circuitry of some 100 trillion of these synapses that allow us to think, feel, remember and move.

It is commonly agreed that the precise placement and strength of each person's trillions of synaptic connections closely maps with that person's cognitive, emotional and behavioral makeup. But exactly why a particular synapse is formed in a certain place at a certain time has largely remained a mystery. In 2005, Barres took a big step toward explaining this process when he and his colleagues discovered that a protein astrocytes secrete, called thrombospondin, is essential to the formation of this complex brain circuitry.

Still, no one knew the precise mechanism by which thrombospondin induced synapse formation.

In this new study, Barres, lead author Cagla Eroglu, PhD, and their colleagues demonstrate how thrombospondin binds to a receptor found on neurons' outer membranes. The role of this receptor, known as alpha2delta-1, had been obscure until now. But in an experiment with mice, the scientists found that neurons lacking alpha2delta-1 were unable to form synapses in response to thrombospondin stimulation.

And when the researchers grew neurons in a dish that were bioengineered to overexpress this receptor, those neurons produced twice as many synapses in response to stimulation with thrombospondin than did their ummodified counterparts.

The new discovery about alpha2delta-1's key role in synapse formation carries important implications for understanding the cause of pain and of epilepsy and developing improved medications for these conditions.

It was already known that alpha2delta-1 is the neuronal receptor for gabapentin, one of the world's most widely administered medications. Gabapentin is often prescribed for epilepsy and chronic pain, and its off-label use for other indications is widespread. Up to now, the molecular mechanism of gabapentin's action — what, exactly, it's doing to counter seizures or chronic pain — was unknown. But both syndromes may involve excessive numbers of synaptic connections in local areas of the brain.

In their new study, Barres and his colleagues found that when gabapentin was administered in developing mice, it bound to alpha2delta-1, preventing thrombospondin from binding to the receptor and, in turn, impeding synapse formation. Likewise, by blocking thrombosponin, gabapentin may reduce excess synapse formation in vulnerable areas of the human brain.

Barres noted that he and his colleagues found that gabapentin does not dissolve pre-existing synapses, but only prevents formation of new ones. That greatly diminishes gabapentin's potential danger to adults. In mature human brains, astrocytes ordinarily produce very little thrombospondin, and adult neurons don't form many new synapses, although some new synapses do continue to be formed throughout life — for example, in a part of the brain where new memories are laid down and at sites of injury to neurons, such as occurs after a stroke.

But the new findings raise questions about gabapentin's effect in situations where synapse formation is widespread and crucial, most notably in pregnancies. The vast bulk of the brain's synapses are formed during gestation and the very early months and years after birth. Because gabapentin easily crosses the placental barrier, it could potentially interfere with a fetus' rapidly developing brain just when global synapse formation is proceeding at breakneck speed.

"It's a bit scary that a drug that can so powerfully block synapse formation is being used in pregnant women," Barres said. "This potential effect on fetal brains needs to be taken seriously. Right now, doctors have the view that gabapentin is the safest anticonvulsant. There is no question that pregnant women with epilepsy who have been advised by their neurologists to continue their anticonvulsant treatment with gabapentin during their pregnancy should definitely remain on this drug until instructed otherwise. But there is no long-term registry being kept to track gabapentin-exposed babies. Our findings are saying that we need to be following up on these newborns so that their cognitive performance can be studied as they grow older."

Study Information

Çagla Eroglu, Nicola J. Allen, Michael W. Susman, Nancy A. O'Rourke, Chan Young Park, Engin Özkan, Chandrani Chakraborty, Sara B. Mulinyawe, Douglas S. Annis, Andrew D. Huberman, Eric M. Green, Jack Lawler, Ricardo Dolmetsch, K. Christopher Garcia, Stephen

Gabapentin Receptor α2δ-1 Is a Neuronal Thrombospondin Receptor Responsible for Excitatory CNS Synaptogenesis

Cell

2009 October

Stanford University School of Medicine.

that was pulled up as the first result on this forum BB by typing in "Gabapentin Synapse" and i dont remember how many pages of results came up and dont care. if you type in google or any search engine similar keywords say..."Gabapentin brain death" and the first result comes up:

A Death Sentence for Your Brain.

The anticonvulsant and pain medications Neurontin (gabapentin) and Lyrica (Pregabalin) are a death sentence for your brain. 

These medications (gabapentinoids) have been used over time as anti-seizure drugs but have been expanded to use for nerve pain, Fibromyalgia, and inflammatory conditions.  These drugs will halt Glutamate production which is an excitatory neurotransmitter. The drugs are intended to inhibit brain function in hopes to decrease your risk of a seizure (an overactive brain) or nerve pain (overactive nerves). 

New research provides even stronger evidence that these drugs block the formation of brain synapses (your brains communication with the body) and degenerate the grey matter (where the synapses live) of the brain.    The grey matter includes regions of the brain involved in muscle control, and sensory perception such as seeing and hearing, memory, emotions, speech, decision making, and self-control. 

Translation: Damaged grey matter and synapses is a driving force of brain fog, loss of memory, depression, anxiety, other mood disorders, lack of coordination, tremors, and the list goes on.

The use of these drugs has increased in the last 5 years and are a catalyst for brain degeneration.  Based on most current statistics, Dementia and Alzheimer’s Disease are on the rise. We must be aware of the side effects with long term use of these drugs. 

More importantly, the removal of debris and waste from the brain is necessary.  Commonly overlooked, the improvement of the Glial and Lymphatic System (Glymphatic system) of the brain is very important.  Find out how to repair the damage from these drugs and get your brain working optimally.

In a recent editorial in the journal Addiction, the author from a pain clinic in the UK outlined the growing problem of Gabapentin and Lyrica misuse. In the last 5 years alone, she noted that the prescription rates have increased by 150 and 350 percent respectively. In her article, she expressed great concern regarding the overuse of the drugs and the lack of effectiveness in the majority of prescribed cases. She stated that “prescribing gabapentinoids in clinical practice has proved more hazardous than in the supervised context of a clinical trial where drugs are prescribed in fixed doses to selected low-risk individuals”.

A March 2017 animal study identified another scary adverse side effect from Lyrica. Animals were given either a single dose or a daily dose of varying amounts of pregabalin (Lyrica) for 21 days. Immediately after the three weeks, skeletal muscle tissue was evaluated for injury and oxidative stress. Regardless of the dose, pathological damage was found. The worst damage occurred with long-term use, displayed  as a significant loss of muscle or muscle atrophy, and high levels of inflammatory cells infiltrating the muscles. This led to cell degeneration after just 21 days of exposure to the drug. This is yet another example of “a death sentence to cells”. Many with chronic pain disorders are given this drug for years.

It has been somewhat of a mystery how Lyrica/pregabalin actually works. In a recent cellular study, scientists found that Lyrica decreased nerve firing in the part of the brain called the dentate gyrus and cells called granule cells. The dentate gyrus is in the input region or receiving area of the hippocampus, which plays a critical role in learning, memory, and spatial relationship interpretation. New nerve cells in this area are generated throughout all ages of life, but Lyrica was found to dampen or inhibit the rate of signals for the generation of new cells.

Other new information showed that Lyrica treatment shrunk the brain’s grey matter in fibromyalgia patients treated with short-term use of Lyrica. As previously mentioned, the drug blocked the production of the excitatory neurotransmitter, glutamate.

This is felt as pain, insomnia, depression, anxiety, etc.

and more:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6213802/

https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2009/10/study-pinpoints-key-mechanism-in-brain-development-raising-questions-about-use-of-antiseizure-drug.html

Uh, I've used bit of lyrica now for months... seems if try to stop it I get depressed.  Is that possible?  Last night used approx 150 gabapentin, no lyrica, and got some sleep and felt a bit better.

Anyone know much about these drugs?  I have been so sick and recently extremely depressed and 'intrusive thoughts' and gunshy of all meds now.

Thank you all!

Gabapentin works on voltage dependent calcium channels. It may help you if you are in a desperate position, but it can also cause dependence (almost every psychotropic drug like this can). I believe there are even groups on this site that are dedicated to trying to get off these drugs. It has GABA-type effects as well.

Lyrica is very similar to gabapentin, manufactured as a successor, but binds to a receptor for voltage dependent calcium channels. As with most of these drugs that have muscle relaxant / anti-anxiety type properties, it basically suppresses the nervous system by preventing neurons from firing. So it discourages the voltage dependent calcium channels from opening and letting in positively charged calcium ions, which would depolarize the cell and cause it to produce an action potential (firing).

Since these drugs both suppress the nervous system, you will get temporary relief, but they may delay your recovery and will also likely induce dependency. I would avoid them if possible. When you're recovering from dependence on a nervous system depressant, you generally want to avoid depressants like these, alcohol, and basically anything with sedative or anti-anxiety properties. But I understand if your symptoms are too distressing to avoid taking something like this. If you have to take something, you might try some sort of beta-blocker type drug, such as Atenolol or Clonidine, for acute episodes. But these drugs also cause dependence and can be dangerous as well. Most drugs are just not as great or as safe as advertized, or as doctors think, for that matter. Unfortunately, pharma companies market directly to doctors as well and often swallow these campaigns whole, since most of the data on the drug originates with the company that manufactured it.

Taking the most mild thing possible for your symptoms is generally your best bet, such as amino acids like tryptophan, 5-HTP or glycine etc. You consume these with food when you eat protein anyways, but you can buy them in isolation and you will generally find these have a stronger effect. BUT, these will also depress the nervous system and you should not use them on a regular basis either and should use the smallest dose possible.

Really the lesson is that you should just leave your nervous system alone if you can, and it will recover. Taking any sort of depressant will just teach it the lesson that it doesn't need to create as many GABA receptors, which is what it needs to do to help you recover and get back to normal life. As long as you are able to sleep a bit, exercise a bit and eat enough calories, you should be ok. Many of us got into trouble because we thought (or were told) that we needed to take something to function normally. It's hard to dispel that if you've heard it often enough, but it's not really based on any solid evidence. They never measure the functionality of your nervous system before they give you these drugs, and they don't really know what happens when you take them long term, which is why they really have no idea how to fix things when they go wrong, as many people on this site have discovered the hard way. Often they just prescribe nervous system depressants at random, hoping they will relieve symptoms.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3404313/

Unfortunately, our clinical experience suggests that gabapentin is now prevalent as a drug of abuse. The drug’s effects vary with the user, dosage, past experience, psychiatric history, and expectations. Individuals describe varying experiences with gabapentin abuse, including: euphoria, improved sociability, a marijuana-like ‘high’, relaxation, and sense of calm, although not all reports are positive (for example, ‘zombie-like’ effects). In primary care, an increasing number and urgency of prescription requests cannot necessarily be explained by the increased number of cases of neuropathic pain. In the substance misuse service, the numbers admitting to using gabapentin (local street name: ‘gabbies’, approx £1 per 300 mg) are also growing.

and for those who think gabapentin is a wonderful drug, check out reddit for the wonderful ways many people have found out real quick what happens when they try to quit the drug.

Thank you nomoredrugs. For the time being I'm not taking any of these two because I'm two scared of adding any medicin to the mix. I am, however, taking trazodone for sleep because I cannot function on one hour of sleep as that's what I was getting. The acute withdrawal I was thrown into a month ago which lasted two weeks, has left me with a level of fear that makes sleep impossible. AND I need to pay the bills. Don't fight guys. Being in withdrawal makes it hard to make friends, but we're all suffering so lets be nice to each other. But I like you people because you say things to each other's face. That's better than the indirect comments you read sometimes in a much passive aggressive manner. This fighting in the mud is healthier.

Thank you nomoredrugs. For the time being I'm not taking any of these two because I'm two scared of adding any medicin to the mix. I am, however, taking trazodone for sleep because I cannot function on one hour of sleep as that's what I was getting. The acute withdrawal I was thrown into a month ago which lasted two weeks, has left me with a level of fear that makes sleep impossible. AND I need to pay the bills. Don't fight guys. Being in withdrawal makes it hard to make friends, but we're all suffering so lets be nice to each other. But I like you people because you say things to each other's face. That's better than the indirect comments you read sometimes in a much passive aggressive manner. This fighting in the mud is healthier.

amen to that sister.  (not in a religious way!  lol)

Ta NoMore,

Appreciate the effort..  :)

I can pull some key words from that..

Beyond what DG mentions, I had never found many details on exact method of action or long term effects..

Sorry about your family situation, I perhaps understand? -We are not so far out from something similar here.. :(

Ta NoMore,

Appreciate the effort..  :)

I can pull some key words from that..

Beyond what DG mentions, I had never found many details on exact method of action or long term effects..

Sorry about your family situation, I perhaps understand? -We are not so far out from something similar here.. :(

sorry to hear you're suffering that sadness close to home too. may we both be relieved of our grief ASAP!! sigh. ;)

https://emergencymedicinecases.com/drugs-that-work-analgesics/

They go over a few different drugs in this podcast, but they conclude that Gabapentin and Lyrica are pretty useless for pain. The Number Needed to Treat and Number Needed to Harm are roughly equal, so it's essentially a coin flip whether you will be helped or harmed. I think there has been some other pretty substantial evidence indicating harm recently. I hope that helps someone.

"Gabapentinoids for low back and radicular pain

In a 2018 CMAJ meta-analysis of 9 trials that compared gabapentinoids (topiramate, gabapentin or pregabalin) to placebo, these drugs were not effective at reducing pain or disability in low back pain or lumbar radicular pain at 1-12 weeks, or for lumbar radicular pain in the immediate term [7]. Importantly (and not surprisingly) there was an increased risk of adverse events from use of gabapentinoids, based on high level evidence.

For neuropathic pain, gabapentin reduces pain scores by < 1 point on a 0-10 point scale and benefits about 15% of carefully selected patients with post-herpetic neuralgia and diabetic neuropathy (NNT=6-8). A similar proportion of people suffer harm (NNH=8) [8]. Gabapentinoids have also been reported to be drugs of abuse [9].  It is important to recognize that any treatment effect is similar in low doses and high doses. If using gabapentinoids use only the lowest dose and instruct patients to stop the medication if there is no effect in 3 days.

Take Home: Gabapentinoids are not recommended for routine use in ED patients with low back pain. Reserve them for patients with post-herpetic neuralgia and diabetic neuropathy using the lowest dose with cessation at 3 days if no effect."

...or for people that have had a sciatic nerve half ripped out of their spine.. :(

When I mentioned its an important med, these are the things I had in mind...

Anyways, Thanks All..

:)

it's all online

Katz

What nomoredrugs said about Seroquel is true.

https://www.drugs.com/sfx/seroquel-side-effects.html#for-professionals

Side effects:

Nervous system:

"Very common (10% or more): Somnolence (up to 57%), headache (up to 21%), dizziness (up to 19%), sedation (up to 18.3%), extrapyramidal symptoms (up to 12.9%)

Common (1% to 10%): Akathisia, ataxia, balance disorder, dysarthria, dyskinesia, dyskinetic event, dystonic event, extrapyramidal disorder, hypersomnia, hypertonia, hypoesthesia, incoordination, lethargy, other extrapyramidal event, paresthesia, parkinsonism, restless legs syndrome, seizure, speech disorder, syncope, tardive dyskinesia, tremor

Metabolic

IR Formulations:

Very common (10% or more): Weight gain (up to 45%), elevated triglycerides (up to 23%), decreased fasting high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol (up to 18.3%), total cholesterol elevations (up to 16%), increased appetite (up to 10%)

Common (1% to 10%): Anorexia, blood glucose increased to hyperglycemic levels, thirst

Antipsychotics (including Seroquel) also cause loss of brain mass and volume:

"Taken together, these studies suggest that antipsychotics may contribute to early gray matter loss and, later in the course of treatment, to white matter loss. These effects may be dose-related and probably are not prevented by the use of second-generation agents. This argues for minimizing antipsychotic exposure both acutely and long-term. However, we are left with the additional dilemma that a longer duration of untreated psychosis (DUP) may also be neurotoxic. Longer DUP has been associated with poorer symptomatic and functional outcomes7 as well as brain volume loss.8 Studies of DUP have their own methodological limitations and controversies, but they should serve to warn us that the rapid control of psychosis may also be important."

https://www.psychiatrictimes.com/antipsychotics-and-shrinking-brain

I think it is better to scare people with facts so that they can protect themselves, rather than allow them to remain ignorant and do much more damage to themselves. It is an incredibly destructive and unethical profession that prescribes these drugs without informing patients of these effects, but we have to face the facts, that is what happens to the vast majority of patients.

Also, this is an advice forum. If someone asks for advice on a drug, then anyone with experience or knowledge of it can give advice. They are not required to provide scientific evidence to back it up. It's absurd to expect people to provide a full monograph of the drug for you on an advice forum, but I don't think it is too much to expect doctors to provide that. Apparently they disagree.

These drugs should only be used for psychotic disorders, but these patients also deserve a full picture of the drug side effects, and they should also have a choice as to whether they use them or not. Some potential side effects can be worse than the disease (ie. akathisia, neuroleptic malignant syndrome etc).

Guys, at the end I came here to find out if Gabapentin had helped them taper off the benzo, and nobody who's actually taken gabapentin to taper off the benzo has answered  :laugh: Well, at least we held a nice debate.