Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Gabapentin (Neurontin) Withdrawl Support Group

[Is...]

well, amidst all the doom n gloom about withdrawal from gabapentin...

has anyone actually done it properly and have a success story to share?

all i've heard is about people who had a real bad time who went too fast in the taper or just tried to cold turkey...and obviously these people will have horror stories to tell. but i wanna know from anybody who did the (or is cuurrently doing the) taper the slow method as has been suggested, and has had success tapering slowly with few or very manageable symptoms?

thanks in advance, for i too am going on the gabapentin taper journey soon. any hope is greatly appreciated :smitten:

I don’t mean to scare anyone, we are all different. I took it for 21 days, as per a neurologist prescription for nerve pain due to a hand injury. It wasn’t helping my nerve pain, so I cut it in four days, the result was awful, depression, anxiety beyond belief, had to increase Xanax from .25 to .75 overnight to be able to merely function. So, that was my experience, others might have been luckier.

Best

Many years ago, before the benzos, I took gabapentin and tapered it with no trouble over several months. I'm taking it again, for nerve pain again. I don't think it's working any more. I won't increase it. I will taper it after the benzo. I'll wait a long time after the benzo is done to start the gabpentin taper. I think it's wise to be completely healed from the one taper before starting the next.

Yes, nomore, I tapered gabapentin successfully. It was a very helpful drug for me for nerve pain, but when the nerve pain got better, I tapered the drug.

I was on 900 mgs . . . 300 mgs 3 x a day. I asked my doc for 100 mg capsules and tapered it by 100 mgs every 2-3 weeks. I tried to keep the dosing times the same as I tapered down the am'ts.

It was challenging. I felt a little spacey now and then but it was nothing like my benzo w/d.

So . . . I guess mine is a success story.  :)

Don't be scared . . . no need for doom and gloom. Just start a taper. But go slow.

Best to you,

Katz

I've gotten off of gabapentin 3 times.  1st time cold turkey from 4800mg per doctor recommendation -- horrendous!!  He put me back on 2400 (800x3) seven weeks later. 

2nd time I tapered off the right way and had very few problems -- just a little belly pain and mild anxiety for lasted for only 2 or 3 days -- that's all!  I did it over several years VERY slowly.  I stopped at 100/day. 

I re-started in in fall 2017 to deal with zoloft withdrawal -- BIG MISTAKE.  That time I got a reverse reaction and had to titrate quickly off!  Horrendous!  I'm fortunate I survived because I was very suicidal.  I'll never take it again!  I'm posting to say that I DO have experience getting off the right way with almost no problems.  It can be done!--  If you take it REALLY slowly!  Just wish I would have left it at that!

Yes, nomore, I tapered gabapentin successfully. It was a very helpful drug for me for nerve pain, but when the nerve pain got better, I tapered the drug.

I was on 900 mgs . . . 300 mgs 3 x a day. I asked my doc for 100 mg capsules and tapered it by 100 mgs every 2-3 weeks. I tried to keep the dosing times the same as I tapered down the am'ts.

It was challenging. I felt a little spacey now and then but it was nothing like my benzo w/d.

So . . . I guess mine is a success story.  :)

Don't be scared . . . no need for doom and gloom. Just start a taper. But go slow.

Best to you,

Katz

wow Katz me n you have the same dosing! but  i was rx'd 900mg at night, and i moved my doses to 30mg 3x daily...every 8 hours.

thankx for sharing, i'm gonna start my gaba taper on july 15th aftwer i've had a chance to stabilize on all the dose time changes i made on gaba and quetiapine and clonazepam.

gonna use a 2.5% per week taper rate for quetiapine, and a 2% taper rate for gabapentin.

decided to do clonazepam last. everyone says oh no do the gabapentin after clonazepam because it's a gaba protective blah blah but i feel like i can taper off gabapentin easier than clonazepam and besides the gaba prevents brain growth and brain synapses from forming, so i feel that the gaba is standing in the way of efficient healing during the clonazepam taper. we'll see! lol

thx again :smitten:

I just recently tapered off lyrica which is a very similar drug. They are referred to as sister-brother meds. I had a lot of trouble getting off and found it very addictive in the sense that I craved it a lot. Do you guys have the same feeling with gabapentin? I tapered off a pretty high dose in about 6 weeks. I just halved my dose, stayed there for 3 weeks until things got better and then jumped off. It took about another 3 weeks to start sleeping properly but now I am doing much better. I could have done a much slower taper, but I originally did a 9 month taper off of valium which was brutal so I didn't really wanna go through that again.

• 2 weeks later...

... is there a way to DLMT my other meds which have such a high mg amount, ie. my gabapentin is 900mg total daily, taken in 300mg doses 3x a day.

the formula would have me making 24 gallons for a ten day supply! :o

is it possible to DLMT high doses of meds that aren't benzos using this formula or another?

i know that gabapentin is almost 100% soluble in H2O so no solvent needed, hower i am trying to figure out the math to do a DLMT on it and the amounts of liquid are so huge because of the dosage being so high...

once i've tapered down 100mg of the 900mg that i currently take daily, i can get the RX rewritten for the 100mg pills and it will be much easier to DLMT.

then i could use the new RX of 100mg capsules to taper the remainder of the way with, using one 100mg capsule to taper from at a time, i guess?

You will need to figure out your own ratio of mgs/mls though. If you do some searching th through the forum, you may find some helpful information.

could someone point me in the right direction to find help on getting a DLMT schedule for gabapentin using the 100mg capsules?

or does DLMT only work in a practical manner on doses much lower than 100mg?

(if this needs to be moved to another forum please move the below math work , lol)

would someone please check my math and tell me if i'm wrong (or send me to someone that can help?)

i very much appreciate this! now i'm convinced that DLMT is the way to go if possible and i want to apply this to all my tapers if i can

if i do the math like the formula for the benzo taper but subbbing H2O for the solvent so that it is 1:10 , then would it look like this:?

1mg K + 2ml solvent + 8ml water.  But that's just a ratio that you use to prepare your liquid.

A 10-12 day supply will be approx 10X your current daily dose

so...

1mg X 10 days = 10mg

100mg capsule gabapentin + 1000ml H2O = 1 day's dose

for a 10 day supply of gabapentin using the same formula as for the benzo DLMT:

100mg gabapentin X 10 = 1000mg

1000mg gabapentin + 10,000ml H2O or (2.64 gallons)

you taper 2.5%/week...

1mg X 2.5% =.025mg

.025mg/7 days = .0036 (round up to) .004mg/day reduction

100mg X 2.5% = 250mg

250mg/7 days = 35.7142 (round up to ) 35.714mg/day reduction

Schedule:

250      mg          2500    ml

250.000 mg        2500.00 ml

214.286 mg        2142.86 ml

178.572 mg        1785.72 ml

142.858 mg        1428.58 ml

etc...

just lower your dose by 357.14ml (35.714mg) each day

(i used the formula builder gave me below to get these numbers)

1mg K + 2ml solvent + 8ml water.  But that's just a ratio that you use to prepare your liquid.

A 10-12 day supply will be approx 10X your current daily dose

so...

1mg X 10 days = 10mg

Now just substitute that in the ratio...

10mg + 20ml solvent + 80ml water.

If you taper 2.5%/week...

1mg X 2.5% =.025mg

.025mg/7 days = .0036 (round up to) .004mg/day reduction

Schedule:

1mg                10ml

.996mg          9.96ml

.992mg          9.92ml

.988mg          9.88ml

etc...

just lower your  dose by .04ml (.004mg) each day

To divide your total dose into 3 daily doses, extract the full days dose, put it in a measuring cup, and add more water to make 1 full cup. ...

My benzo brain couldn't follow all that math, but the way to work the taper more easily is to get your whole script written in 100mg capsules. Then take 2 whole 100mg capsules plus some liquid for each dose. You do much less dissolving that way. This is how I did with my Librium. Even though it came in bigger capsules, I immediately asked my doctor to write the script in all 5mg capsules, the smallest capsule size for L. I told the pharmacist what I was doing and he said, "That's the way to do it." When I do my gabapentin, I will do the same thing. Ask to have the whole script written in 100mg capsules and only dissolve what I need to make the liquid part of the dose. Hope that helps.

Regarding the math, I'll bet someone on the titration board would help you with the math. I don't do other people's math for their own safety! :o;)

Gardie :)

My benzo brain couldn't follow all that math, but the way to work the taper more easily is to get your whole script written in 100mg capsules. Then take 2 whole 100mg capsules plus some liquid for each dose. You do much less dissolving that way. This is how I did with my Librium. Even though it came in bigger capsules, I immediately asked my doctor to write the script in all 5mg capsules, the smallest capsule size for L. I told the pharmacist what I was doing and he said, "That's the way to do it." When I do my gabapentin, I will do the same thing. Ask to have the whole script written in 100mg capsules and only dissolve what I need to make the liquid part of the dose. Hope that helps.

Regarding the math, I'll bet someone on the titration board would help you with the math. I don't do other people's math for their own safety! :o;)

thx Gardie

i plan on getting my dr to rewrite the RX  for 200mg taken 4X daily, that way i can get the 100mg capsules. even though i actually take 300mg 3X daily. because the insurance won't cover it if she writes 100mg capsule plus 200mg 4X a day. unless there's some sneaky way to get it 200mg 4X a day plus 100mg capsules 30 count...i don't see how. so i will have to figure out how to taper 100mg down so i'm only taking 800mg a day instead of 900.

currently i have a big bottle of 600mg pills scored in the middle and the RX says take 1 1/2 pills daily...because the insurance didn't wanna pay for individual pills of 300 mg each. cheap bastards. anyways so i have to break the pills in half to get my daily 300mg doses. that's why i'm trying to figure out what to do to get my daily dose down to 800mg because then the insurance HAS to cover 100mg capsules because it's not manufactured in 200mg pills!

thx Gardie

i plan on getting my dr to rewrite the RX  for 200mg taken 4X daily, that way i can get the 100mg capsules. even though i actually take 300mg 3X daily. because the insurance won't cover it if she writes 100mg capsule plus 200mg 4X a day. unless there's some sneaky way to get it 200mg 4X a day plus 100mg capsules 30 count...i don't see how. so i will have to figure out how to taper 100mg down so i'm only taking 800mg a day instead of 900.

currently i have a big bottle of 600mg pills scored in the middle and the RX says take 1 1/2 pills daily...because the insurance didn't wanna pay for individual pills of 300 mg each. cheap bastards. anyways so i have to break the pills in half to get my daily 300mg doses. that's why i'm trying to figure out what to do to get my daily dose down to 800mg because then the insurance HAS to cover 100mg capsules because it's not manufactured in 200mg pills!

Great idea! Lots of people dose gabapentin that often, so it won't look odd at all.

I saw one guy on the DLMT thread describe his method of doing a dry microtaper by opening capsules and mixing them with something. To me it looked harder than liquid, but it would be a way to get that first 100mg gone. Dang, I can't remember his name. Here's the thread. It's been quiet lately, but if you post on it, someone will show up.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=135284.10890

thx Gardie

Great idea! Lots of people dose gabapentin that often, so it won't look odd at all.

I saw one guy on the DLMT thread describe his method of doing a dry microtaper by opening capsules and mixing them with something. To me it looked harder than liquid, but it would be a way to get that first 100mg gone. Dang, I can't remember his name. Here's the thread. It's been quiet lately, but if you post on it, someone will show up.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=135284.10890

um, i can't get the 100mg capsules until AFTER i reduce 100mg off of my current 900 mg taper. so i don't see how bob's method of opening capsules would help me. and he didn't do gabapentin his was a benzo...but thx anyways!

ps i found this:

https://www.uspharmacist.com/article/gabapentin-100-mgml-oral-suspension

but my insurance doesn't cover compounded meds.

i'm just gonna do it like this:

gaba Fill in

Starting dose 900

taper % per week 2.00%

Weeks taper in a row 4

weeks hold 2

Dissolve 900 mg pill in 25 ml and drink:

Dose:

this week/ daily(mg)

8am 4pm midnite

7/14/2019 900.00 8.33 8.33 8.33

7/21/2019 882.00 8.17 8.17 8.17

7/28/2019 864.36 8.00 8.00 8.00

8/4/2019   847.07 7.84 7.84 7.84

8/11/2019 830.13 7.69 7.69 7.69

8/18/2019 830.13 7.69 7.69 7.69

8/25/2019 830.13 7.69 7.69 7.69

9/1/2019   813.53 7.53 7.53 7.53

9/8/2019   797.26 7.38 7.38 7.38

and then when i get to 9/15/2019 i'll be just under 800mg total daily dose and crossover to my 200mg capsules RX which will allow me to do a DLMT instead of the above schedule which is a weekly taper.

um, i can't get the 100mg capsules until AFTER i reduce 100mg off of my current 900 mg taper. so i don't see how bob's method of opening capsules would help me. and he didn't do gabapentin his was a benzo...but thx anyways!

Bob doesn't open capsules. He crushes his tablets into a powder. He puts his finished product into capsules. Look for the video showing him do it. He uses a spoon, but I would use a glass mortar and pestle such as you can get on amazon. The dry taper would work for any dry med. Bob7 is good at answering questions. If you post on DLMT, he will probably appear. People who don't like liquid have used the powder method. You can carry the capsules you create more easily than carrying liquid and have no trouble in airports. I don't fly and I carry a purse, so a little bottle of liquid is OK for me. So I have not personally done Bob7's method, but I believe other have used it.

Sorry, can't comment on the math.

Nomore,

We are talking apples and oranges here...!

You need to find out how much Gabapentin will disolve in how much water... -I highly doubt it is 1:10 ratio.. meaning I doubt it would take 6litres to dissolve one (1) 600mg GPN tablet..!!

Its probably not even 1mg:1ml either... But I Havnt a clue...

:)

Nomore,

You need to find out how much Gabapentin will disolve in how much water... -I highly doubt it is 1:10 ratio.. meaning I doubt it would take 6litres to dissolve one (1) 600mg GPN tablet..!!

no the 1:10 ratio was for the end solution so it would have 1mg per 1ml of water.

gabapentin is almost 100% soluble in H2O.

Nomore,

no the 1:10 ratio was for the end solution so it would have 1mg per 1ml of water.

You have lost me..??

600mg tablets should serve you fine to make a liquid that would see you down to 100mg doses or below...

I would just be very sure of what you are doing before you go ahead...

If you want to minimise the water you use, you will have to know the solubility peramiters for GPN in water..  Also remember you will be measuring in mg quantities much higher than one would for benzos, so that would affect the ratio needed... 

Also, you can do part tablet, part liquid to take the pressure off the liquid numbers...

Sorry, I best leave it for someone that is proficient in this...

[27...]
So, I was forced to rapid taper valium and forced onto gabapentin during a psych hold (I went in voluntary and they lied to keep me in there and force me off valium and onto this other poison), they wouldn't have let me out being non-compliant. I reinstated V and stopped the gaba, I can't even remember if it was one or two months ago. I'm starting to think this has made my wd during my taper now much MUCH more difficult. At the time, the oblivion gaba put me in during that traumatic experience was better than nothing. Any input or support appreciated.

Nomore,

You have lost me..??

600mg tablets should serve you fine to make a liquid that would see you down to 100mg doses or below...

If you want to minimise the water you use, you will have to know the solubility peramiters for GPN in water..  Also remember you will be measuring in mg quantities much higher than one would for benzos, so that would affect the ratio needed... 

Also, you can do part tablet, part liquid to take the pressure off the liquid numbers...

gabapentin is almost 100% dissolvable/soluble in H2O. that's not the question.

Nomore,

You have lost me..??

gabapentin is almost 100% dissolvable/soluble in H2O. that's not the question.

So you could dissolve 10x600mg tablets in 600ml of water and have 10mg = 1ml..?? A 600mg dose would be 60ml..??

I dont see the problem.. Feel free to explain... why do you need so much water?? Wasnt that your complaint..??

Nomore,

Isnt 1mg per 1ml a 1:1 ratio, not 1:10 ratio..??

So couldnt you put 1.5 x 600mg tablets in 900ml, and drink 300ml for your single dose of 300mg..??

Why do you want a 1:1 ratio..?? I mean, Thats fine, but if you want to mix it all up for 10 days your simply going to have a bucket full of solution (9 litres)... Thats just how it is...!!

The idea of titration, if thats the right word here, would be to make it at a ratio thats a bit more user friendly... But at some point soluability will become an issue... -or the solution will be a paste at some point...  I have 600mg tablets here, they are not small, so they will require some water to make a solution no matter the 100% soluability, Its not all GPN, there are fillers to consider even if they dont all need to disolve..

Somewhere between 9ml and 9 litres lays the answer you want... The soluability issue at one end, -needing a bucket at the other...

Perhaps a 10mg per 1ml (10:1) might be more suitable... 100:1 might be going a bit too concentrate for your needs..

-Knowing the "why" might help...  I wonder if it isnt so you can simply use a benzo schedule for the purpose of a GPN taper..??

So, I was forced to rapid taper valium and forced onto gabapentin during a psych hold (I went in voluntary and they lied to keep me in there and force me off valium and onto this other poison), they wouldn't have let me out being non-compliant. I reinstated V and stopped the gaba, I can't even remember if it was one or two months ago. I'm starting to think this has made my wd during my taper now much MUCH more difficult. At the time, the oblivion gaba put me in during that traumatic experience was better than nothing. Any input or support appreciated.

Sorry to hear... :(  Damn Detoxes..!!

But yes, the tapering or cessation of one can have an effect on the other, but it varies a bit between us all...

Nomore,

Isnt 1mg per 1ml a 1:1 ratio, not 1:10 ratio..??

no i was referring to a formula that is commonly used for benzos for a ten day supply liquid solution where usually 1:2:8 is used but since there is no solvent just H2o used for dissolving gabapentin, the ratio is 

1mg gabapentin : 2ml H2O: 8ml H2O or in other words

1mg gabapentin : 10ml H2O so the ratio for a ten day supply would be

10mg gabapentin + 100ml H2O in other words

10:100 = 1:10

So couldnt you put 1.5 x 600mg tablets in 900ml, and drink 300ml for your single dose of 300mg..??

i could, but at 3 doses a day, that is a quart of water to drink per day just for this one med.

Why do you want a 1:1 ratio..??

it doesn't neccesarily HAVE to be a 1mg per 1ml ratio. that's the only formula i have been given here so far to do a DLMT with. obviously it is not really practical in this case because the amount is so huge to drink...so i was hoping someone might help me out with a different formula that uses less H2O.

I mean, Thats fine, but if you want to mix it all up for 10 days your simply going to have a bucket full of solution (9 litres)... Thats just how it is...!!

the whole reason i posted this is because i'm trying to find a more [glow=red,2,300]practical[/glow] way to do a DLMT that[glow=red,2,300] doesn't[/glow] involve me having to mix gallons and drink quarts of H2O per day. i was looking for a solution, from someone who is experienced in DLMT large doses of gabapentin, who is better at the math than me, and who perhaps knows a trick or two to make my formula so that i can carry individual liquid doses with me in a leak proof container if i have to be away from the house for awhile. making a 10 day or other quantity ahead of time would perhaps free me from being chained to this house all day, where i have to mix my doses all the time.

The idea of titration, if thats the right word here, would be to make it at a ratio thats a bit more user friendly...

precisely.

But at some point soluability will become an issue... -or the solution will be a paste at some point...  I have 600mg tablets here, they are not small, so they will require some water to make a solution no matter the 100% soluability, Its not all GPN, there are fillers to consider even if they dont all need to disolve..

Somewhere between 9ml and 9 litres lays the answer you want... The soluability issue at one end, -needing a bucket at the other...

Perhaps a 10mg per 1ml (10:1) might be more suitable... 100:1 might be going a bit too concentrate for your needs..

okay so, how would i make this using the 10mg per 1ml ratio? i mean how would this look as directions for mixing and the beginning of the schedule for a DLMT?

-Knowing the "why" might help...  I wonder if it isnt so you can simply use a benzo schedule for the purpose of a GPN taper..??

because it's the only formula i was given. builder said the easiest way is 1mg med to 1ml liquid so that's all i knew/know of. and that's "why" i am here looking for a more practical way to DLMT since my dosage amount is so high...and what is GPN?

the only other way that i know of to taper gabapentin without using a ton of liquids, is a schedule/spreadsheet from a chemist friend on another forum, but this is NOT a DLMT, it is a liquid taper at 2% reduction per week for 4 weeks, then a 2 week HOLD at the week 4 dose amounts, and then continuing the 2% per week reductions etc. it looks like this:

gabapentin

Starting dose 900mg

taper % per week 2.00%

Weeks taper in a row 4

weeks hold 2

Dissolve 900mg pill in 25 ml H2O & drink:

week of:      total:    8am 4pm midn

7/14/2019 900.00 8.33 8.33 8.33

7/21/2019 882.00 8.17 8.17 8.17

7/28/2019 864.36 8.00 8.00 8.00

8/4/2019   847.07 7.84 7.84 7.84

8/11/2019 830.13 7.69 7.69 7.69

8/18/2019 830.13 7.69 7.69 7.69

8/25/2019 830.13 7.69 7.69 7.69

9/1/2019   813.53 7.53 7.53 7.53

So you could dissolve 10x600mg tablets in 600ml of water and have 10mg = 1ml..?? A 600mg dose would be 60ml..??

i am confused, are you saying 6000mg gabapentin dissolved into 600ml of H2O would = 10mg per 1ml?

are you saying to dissolve (10 of) the 600mg tablets in 600ml H2O to get a solution that will allow me to get my 300mg individual doses from? (by drawing up 30ml in a syringe to have 300mg individual dose?)

my daily dose is 900mg taken as 1 & 1/2 of the 600mg tablets. i take an even dose of 300mg 3x daily. 300mg at 8am, 300mg at 4pm, and 300mg at midnite.

...i have to use them up, at least until i get my dose down to 800mg...perhaps then my dr will rewrite the RX as 800mg, to be taken as 100mg capsules, 2 at a time, 4x per day. (even though i take my doses 3x a day, the insurance would cover the 100mg capsules if it were written like that, because there is no 200mg pill! ;))

the 100mg capsules make dissolving/titrating easier i think. but for now i have the 600mg tablets to work with.

and i'm trying to do an even reduction across all 3 doses per day.

i'd prefer a DLMT, but i don't know if that's possible at this time due to the large amounts/mg's of the pills.

I dont see the problem.. Feel free to explain... why do you need so much water?? Wasnt that your complaint..??

yes the huge amount of H2O is my complaint.  :thumbsup:

[glow=red,2,300]thanks in advance btw for all this, wherever it goes![/glow]