Gabapentin (Neurontin) Withdrawl Support Group

[Is...]

Yes and i go to a facility and they make me worse. Im really bad but the mental hospital here they keep you for three days thats it and you can scream in torment snd they give you haladol which makes my akathisia worse

• 2 weeks later...

I'm now down to 133 mgs and am struggling a little bit.  Gab gives off some strange withdrawal symptoms.  In fact, I would say the symptoms are actually worse than the Clonazepam withdrawals.  I can appreciate the fact that my nervous system is actually a bit more sensitive (to put it lightly) but its pretty awful in a very weird way.  I don't even have the words to really define it.  So, as my weight increases still (even on this low dose), right along with increasing nausea, a sensation that is like but not quite dizziness, and headaches, I'm not really having fun but just getting through.  I'm envious of those who could just drop 100 mgs a week.  God, if I could just do that I'd be so happy.  But, I would NOT want to go through any intensity of these sensations.  I would not be functional any more.  Sigh.

Hoping others are managing today and doing well.  Wishing you all a better and brighter weekend.

Ever...

Hi Everhopeful,

Congrats on your progress. It may be slow going, but you are doing it the right way. This drug has been a beast for me to taper so I have found the only way I'm going to get off in one piece is by a glacially slow taper. There's no way I can make the suggested 10% cuts, I would end up in the ER! It will take a heck of a lot longer than I would like, but at least I can live a somewhat normal life.

Keep up the good work!

Im interested to know  if this med has made other people psychotic at all or severe anxiety restlessness  or agitation.

Hi Everhopeful,

Congrats on your progress. It may be slow going, but you are doing it the right way. This drug has been a beast for me to taper so I have found the only way I'm going to get off in one piece is by a glacially slow taper. There's no way I can make the suggested 10% cuts, I would end up in the ER! It will take a heck of a lot longer than I would like, but at least I can live a somewhat normal life.

Keep up the good work!

Thank you Legos.  It is a bit of a brutal med to get off of but its also a brutal med to stay on.  I'm beginning to lose my dignity from all of the weight I've gained and it gets worse the lower I go and not better as logic would dictate.  3 more reductions and I'm done and I cannot get there fast enough.  I'm tired of being hot, sweaty and so bloated my skin hurts.  This is a terrible torture.  Not to mention the strange floaty swimmy head fealing!  Yikes.  Hate it.  Counting the days...Sigh... :)

Ever...

Im interested to know  if this med has made other people psychotic at all or severe anxiety restlessness  or agitation.

I'm sorry Hiphopanonymous.  I've not noticed that but every med is different.  For some it helps.  For some it hurts.  I think it is a terrible med to give someone trying to reduce from a benzo or other meds and it's not approved for that purpose either.  Talk with your doctor and see what they've got to say.  Hang in there.

Ever...

Thanks. The doctors  dont know  anything  they say if its hurting  stop it. It doesn't  cause that side effect  but akathisia  is not a side effect really its a reaction a bad one. Theres no way to push through it but its getting  worse tonpoint of psychotic torture need help dont know  whats causing  it

Thanks. The doctors  dont know  anything  they say if its hurting  stop it. It doesn't  cause that side effect  but akathisia  is not a side effect really its a reaction a bad one. Theres no way to push through it but its getting  worse tonpoint of psychotic torture need help dont know  whats causing  it

None of my gabapentin  pills weigh the same amount  they are off by milestones. My ativan is like this too. Oh man im in a toxic crisis my akathisia  is so so so severe it feels worse than ct withdrawal  from anything  it feels  like withdrawal  but with psychosis  also i dont know  which  med is causing  it but i cant handle the akathisia  anymore  i need help but there arent any doctors  that can help they say the only way to get rid of it is to get off all medication  and im already  passed my threshold  of torment  i dont know how-to  stabilize with akathisia .... its psychotic  torment  trying to lsy down  feels like the end of the world updosing bon meds mskes it worse but decreasing makes it worse in a more severe way.......  i cant taper in this condition  but holding  doesn't  help but it cant heal till im off? I have three meds that are all used to treat akathisia bthey all cause akathisia  coming off and i already  have the worst akathisia  thst anyone has ever seen

Hi gaba taperers,

Just wanted to check in & let you know how my liquid micro taper is going. As of today, I've tapered 100 mgs of my night dose & 50 mgs of my morning dose. Things are going well except for one symptom that comes & goes, vertigo. I feel it mostly when I'm standing or sitting still, or when I turn my head really fast. It feels like the ground beneath me is moving & I get this floaty, boaty feeling in my head. Like I'm on a boat dock or a moving walkway. It's a very strange feeling. I'm really hoping it doesn't get any worse. I plan on continuing to cut everyday, unless it gets so bad that it affects my daily activities, then I'll hold. I'll check in again soon. Hope everyone is doing well!

Laelani

Hi gaba taperers,

Just wanted to check in & let you know how my liquid micro taper is going. As of today, I've tapered 100 mgs of my night dose & 50 mgs of my morning dose. Things are going well except for one symptom that comes & goes, vertigo. I feel it mostly when I'm standing or sitting still, or when I turn my head really fast. It feels like the ground beneath me is moving & I get this floaty, boaty feeling in my head. Like I'm on a boat dock or a moving walkway. It's a very strange feeling. I'm really hoping it doesn't get any worse. I plan on continuing to cut everyday, unless it gets so bad that it affects my daily activities, then I'll hold. I'll check in again soon. Hope everyone is doing well!

Laelani

Nice work Laelani.  I call that "swimmy head" when it comes.  It's not too bad these days although last night I was plenty nauseated and dizzy.  I was also shivering.  I'm down to 66 mgs a day though and will be done in two weeks!  I'm so excited.  I cannot wait.

Keep up the good work knowing you can absolutely get there.  The one thing I have found with Gab is that the symptoms seem to peek 5 days after a reduction, last for 24-36 hours and then fade into normal.  I can deal with one to one and a half rough days.  I think it really helps when you do a slow and even taper.  I select a reduction amount and then rather than dropping to it all at once, I drop to it over 3 days and then hold.  I don't seem to have a bad symptom day that way.  And then again, maybe it just gets better the lower you go. :)  Maybe that is a nice thought. :)

Wishing all the best, strength and hope!

Ever...

Hi gaba taperers,

Laelani

Do you have liquid Gabapentin or are you dissolving it in water and tapering?

Anyone can answer this question.

Patti

Popcornlady,

I have a script for liquid gaba.

Laelani

Thank you.  I'll have to see about getting the liquid.  Might be difficult.  My doctor thinks you can drop 100 wait a week, drop 100 wait a week, and drop the last 100.  Shouldn't be a problem - yeah, right!

• 2 weeks later...

I did it...I'm finished...no more Gabapentin starting today!  I'm free.  Let the true healing begin.  I'm ready to face this final step!  Wish me luck!

Ever...

Ever,

Congratulations! That's great news!! Good for you! How're you feeling? Any new sxs, or the same?

I'm so envious of you! Can't wait to be where you are, which is gonna take me quite a while! (Sigh)

Need to heal,

Yes you can absolutely heal while on gabapentin. There are quite a few buddies on here that have, including myself. I started out on 900 mgs after being detoxed, then my doc upped it to 1200 mgs.

I've been on that since 2014, & finally found the courage to start tapering down. I've been healed since June 2014, but didn't want to rush into tapering anything else because of the hell I went through getting off of benzos, & because I had another med to taper first. Hope this helps!

Take care,

Laelani

Thanks Laelani. No new symptoms yet.  I suspect about 4 days from now I may feel it but for now, I'm okay.  My last couple reductions I didn't even feel.  I stayed on just at my doctor's recommendation but I'm so glad to  be done.

Need to Heal, the gab helped once I jumped off of Clonazepam but I almost wished I'd never started it.  I've gained so much weight on it, I'm worried it may take a while to lose it. :)  Hang in there though.

Ever...

I too am very happy for you ever,you're very brave. I think I'm a far way from tapering the gaba, having some really bad waves right now at almost 5 months off. 😵😵😵 Either way, I'm trying to stay positive and hopeful. Gained 50 lbs myself in that time yeesh!

Thank you Patti and Valiumheadnomore!  The idea of quitting the gab was worse than it really is.  Today was the first day I had new symptoms - a little nausea that responded easily to peppermint gum and then a bit of dizziness.  But it wasn't so bad that I couldn't work.  Let the healing begin....  Wishing you all an awesome day....and a great weekend. :)

Ever...

I did it...I'm finished...no more Gabapentin starting today!  I'm free.  Let the true healing begin.  I'm ready to face this final step!  Wish me luck!

Ever...

Yay! Congratulations!!!! Let the healing begin!  :):clap: :clap: :clap::highfive: :highfive: :highfive::yippee: :yippee: :yippee:

Is it possible to heal from benzos while taking Gabapentin?

Hi There,

I believe that you can. I had a tremendous amount of healing post benzos while being on gabapentin. I will say my healing sped up significantly when I was finally off of both Xanax and Gabapentin but I got a LOT better while still on!

Take Care,

Hopeful girl