Gabapentin (Neurontin) Withdrawl Support Group

[Is...]

[54...]
I never had burning skin from gabapentin, I'm not even sure what that would be.  I feel really bad for those who get it, it does not sound fun.

Hi all, glad I found this group....I realize this has probably been talked about countless times throughout this long thread........but ...

what is the appropriate protocol to taper gabapentin?

What are the "basics" regarding getting off gabapentin?

Does gabapentin interfere with what the Benzos do? Do they act on sake receptors and make things tougher?

I take 300 mg nightly for sleep (three 100mg capsules). Been taking it for about two months. I have a ton of symptoms, but there's no way I can tell if it's the ativan or the gabapentin since I started ativan taper when I started taking gabapentin.

Thanks

jc and groove, thank you for answering. Anyone else?

I get burning skin, as well as numbness, and severe pins and needles. But like I said in my previous post, dunno if it's the gabapentin or ativan .

dan, IMO it is the benzo causing your sxs. I had all the sxs you mentioned and I also took gabapentin. Gabapentin only caused me to be sleepy and caused 3 cavities, the gaba never helped with the burning pain. I tapered gaba over 6 months after taking 1200 mg for 6 weeks. You are at a low dose, and should not run into any problems. Gabapentin does not interfere with healing from benzo WDs. gaba works on different receptors than benzos.

Does the gabapentin help you?  was it prescribed for anxiety, pain and/or sleep? 10% cut is usually the protocol ever few weeks, check out the survivingantidepressants.com site, they have excellant advice on tapering.

Good Luck, Cindy

dan, IMO it is the benzo causing your sxs. I had all the sxs you mentioned and I also took gabapentin. Gabapentin only caused me to be sleepy and caused 3 cavities, the gaba never helped with the burning pain. I tapered gaba over 6 months after taking 1200 mg for 6 weeks. You are at a low dose, and should not run into any problems. Gabapentin does not interfere with healing from benzo WDs. gaba works on different receptors than benzos.

Does the gabapentin help you?  was it prescribed for anxiety, pain and/or sleep? 10% cut is usually the protocol ever few weeks, check out the survivingantidepressants.com site, they have excellant advice on tapering.

Good Luck, Cindy

Thanks Cindy

The gabapentin was prescribed for anxiety and sleep. It never helped with anxiety, but worked great for sleep. There's really no reason for me to go off of it either...except for the fact that I don't like taking medications and putting unnatural things into my system. I want to cut out the gabapentin and see if I can sleep on my own. If I still can't sleep, I'll just go back on it until I'm completely off ativan.

Dan, good plan on the gabapentin, if it helps you sleep , it will Not hinder your healing. Why don't you take the 300mg dose once at night, since you only take it for sleep? I felt the same way you do, did not want to put any more chemicals in my body, but at this point, if it helps you sleep, perhaps take it until the WDs subside. Since I went off the gabapentin, I have not sleept very well at all. But even though I only sleep 3-5 hours of broken sleep, it is still a better quality sleep than chemical induced sleep. It may take may up to 2 years before my sleep patterns return to normal.

Always, cindy

I get the burning skin pins and needles and acid skin it happened after my ct of benzo and became more prominent while tapering phenobarbital it took over completely once off the phenomenon. Was taking gabapentin since my ct but went back on 6mg of ativan and all physical stuff went away but the mental stuff is getting worse. I was off benzos for six months and things just kept getting worse especially the akathisia. No I'm back on and liver is giving out.... Ganna have to do another detox god help me 6months and I didn't get any better and I'm still on the gabapentin makes me think that it prevents healing or was causing severe issues that I thought was the benzo withdrawal but was actually just the gabapentin sx. Idk I gotta get off methadone nope too. I'm so screwed I feel like just taking more and more to feel better and no more with drawl till my liver fails. I'm so sick nobody gets it

I guess this might not be the right place to ask whether Gabapentin is worth a try nearing the end of my taper and with anxiety and derealization off the charts?. Tried Pregabalin but it threw me into nasty panic.  Thanks.

It gave me the same withdrawal symptoms as ativan. The insomnia is worse. Some other symptoms were better.  And finally have my personality back.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I haven't been on in a while but thought I'd give an update of my gabapentin taper. I am using the liquid to taper. I am currently at 55 mg per day split into 3 doses. I have been cutting 5 mg about every 7-14 days depending on symptoms. I have been on gabapentin for 9 years - everyday - 3 times per day. My doc recommended going really slowly. I am also 22 months off of benzo's after 8 years of very high doses of Xanax. I am still recovering from the benzo and would estimate that I am at 75-80% better. My w/d from gabapentin is significantly better than Xanax. I do still have symptoms...the primary symptoms I have are:

Significant hair loss (this happened to me at the end of my benzo taper but it is much worse with gabapentin)

Weight gain

Excruciating low back pain

Muscle spasms

Heart palpitations

Acne

Insomnia

Head pressure/Headaches

I am hoping to be off in 11 more cuts/3 months! The key for me has been to keep it slow.

It is such a long process but so worth it!

Hopeful Girl

• 4 weeks later...
It's go I to be so long till I can start to taper off the gabapentin I still have to taper off 8mg of ativan and I think I'm in tolerance withdrawal to gabapentin as well getter gnarly depression and severe mood swings that I didn't have in ct benzo withdrawal but after reinstated I'm having the worst psychotic mood swings and depression episodes that are morbid sigh don't know how I'm going to get out of this I'm pretty sure the gabapentin is screwing with my system butI'm in such bad withdrawal while on high benzo

Yep. My benzo wise doc upped me to try to stabilize me so we can switch to valium ....idt it's ganna work I think I'm going to end up in his detox facility..... I'm so kindled a detox will kill me and if it doesn't then I am going to be in agony for years. He wants to up my gabapentin also which might help actually. I think I'm in tolerance withdrawal from the gabapentin so it may be causing this severe depression idk

Hi everyone.  I'm 9.5 months out from jumping CT off Gabapentin and Ativan.  Still suffering from high anxiety, heart palps, pulsatile tinnitus (head whooshing) and insomnia.  This is very tough.

• 2 weeks later...

Fight or flight.

Gabapentin has destroyed my minds ability to decide.    All it wants to do is take flight from the smallest of anxieties.

50mg to go!!!!!!!

Gabapentin vs. ativan    which is worse?   

• 3 weeks later...
I went through a medical detox off klonopin back in mid May 2015 and the detox doctors put me on 1200mg gabapentin daily.  I've been taking it ever since.  I seemed to be slowly recovery but recently during the past two weeks my s/x have gotten progressively worse.  Headaches, dizziness, weird brain twitches (brain zaps?), increased anxiety, increased skin burning insomnia due to anxiety, increased cog fog.  It's gotten really bad.  Could this just be a bad wave?  I'm over four months into my recovery.  I'm wondering if it may be a delayed reaction to the gabapentin.  I'm afraid to c/t because I've been on it for a while now.  I haven't gone back to see my doctor but I plan on making an appointment very soon.  I would appreciate any advice. 

I've BE on gaba for a year NOw and don't know what is what I'm worse after reinstatement of benzo after 6 months off at high doses th I started getting better and all the sudden horrible horrible akathisia that was impassable went back on now 5 months later I'm worse far worse especially emotional always thought it was the gaba sleeping be from healing. It's a benzo lie but it can cause issues of it's own. I don't know what is what anymore I'm so unstable I can't taper anything

• 2 weeks later...

I went through a medical detox off klonopin back in mid May 2015 and the detox doctors put me on 1200mg gabapentin daily.  I've been taking it ever since.  I seemed to be slowly recovery but recently during the past two weeks my s/x have gotten progressively worse.  Headaches, dizziness, weird brain twitches (brain zaps?), increased anxiety, increased skin burning insomnia due to anxiety, increased cog fog.  It's gotten really bad.  Could this just be a bad wave?  I'm over four months into my recovery.  I'm wondering if it may be a delayed reaction to the gabapentin.  I'm afraid to c/t because I've been on it for a while now.  I haven't gone back to see my doctor but I plan on making an appointment very soon.  I would appreciate any advice.

Hi Daves,

Sorry you are having a hard time. I'm a little over 24 months off of Xanax and currently tapering gabapentin. I have 44mg to go. Of course, I cannot say but I still have really bad waves from coming off the benzo. I was certainly still knocked over by significant waves over the first 18 months of being off. It wouldn't be atypical for you to have waves this soon with all the symptoms you are describing. Of course, you could be having a reaction to the gabapentin but the benzo is the more likely culprit. I hope you feel better soon!

Warmly,

Hopeful Girl

Just thought I'd stop by and give a quick update for anyone that might be helped by someone else's experiences. I'm down to 44mg of gabapentin per day. The withdrawal is getting quite a bit worse and I am longing for the day that I can be done with this. I know slow and steady is the way to go so I can be as functional as possible but man is it getting rough. I'm now making tiny 1mg cuts. It is so slow but it worked for me in my Xanax taper and I'm still being able to work so far so that is good. Praying it doesn't get much worse. Lots of anxiety starting up....waking up in the middle of the night with anxiety and high heart rate...yuck! LOTS of headaches, migraines, and head pressure...tinnitus starting up again. Ready to be done but reminding myself that everyday I am healing and even if it is a slow taper, every cut means I'm a little closer to zero and I'm on less of the drug than I was before.

Hope everyone else is doing well!

Hopeful Girl

• 1 month later...
I'm 9.5 months off cold turkey Ativan.  Hit a bad wave with anxiety/panic an insomnia.  A week ago started gabapentin and already feeling the burning pain in my back.  Can I stop taking it after a weeks use?  Not sure I can without added anxiety and panic.